Rerouting with no announcement!

Buddy

Today around 5pm I was waiting at 96th for downtown (2)(3). 4 minutes later a (5) train entered the station, which is not surprising to me at all since such cases happen so frequently.

However, there was totally no announcement in the train, and I found passengers looking at the map and asking each other. The only announcement was something like "We are held momentarily because of the train traffic..." before I got off at Times Sq.

Later I met a nice conductor on the <7> who never omitted one word in his announcement. What a sharp contrast!

Today around 5pm I was waiting at 96th for downtown (2)(3). 4 minutes later a (5) train entered the station, which is not surprising to me at all since such cases happen so frequently.

However, there was totally no announcement in the train, and I found passengers looking at the map and asking each other. The only announcement was something like "We are held momentarily because of the train traffic..." before I got off at Times Sq.

Later I met a nice conductor on the <7> who never omitted one word in his announcement. What a sharp contrast!

Did the exterior signs / interior LED signs / strip maps say anything?

If so then people should look at the signs.

If a (5) comes on the West Side or a (2) comes on the East Side it's a common thing. You can count on all stops being made between Chambers Street and 149th Grand Concourse as if it were the other train.

However, that said, there are NTT programs for (2) via the Lexington Avenue line and (5) via the 7th Avenue line. Without being there I can't really comment further.

Did the exterior signs / interior LED signs / strip maps say anything?

If so then people should look at the signs.

Unlike previous cases where the outside LED read "via 7 AVE EXP" and complete announcement "This is a Bronx bound 5 express train via the 7th ave line. The next stop is...", today the outside LED is still "Lexington Ave EXP".

Unlike previous cases where the outside LED read "via 7 AVE EXP" and complete announcement "This is a Bronx bound 5 express train via the 7th ave line. The next stop is...", today the outside LED is still "Lexington Ave EXP".

It may have been that the conductor didn't have a chance to reprogram the train for the rerouted service announcements or didn't know what code to enter in the train's computer. I've been on rerouted (2) and (5) trains where that happened.

Guest lance25

If the conductor or T/O can't change the signs for whatever reason, there should be an announcement about the diversion. While it is a fairly common event, one cannot assume that everyone knows that.

I notice that whenever I get on a (5) train at Grand Central that they are usually (2) trains with the strip maps turned off of course turned off. Are they short on (5) trains or what is the deal? I know that the (2) and (5) terminate together in the Bronx and in Brooklyn, but why do they use so many (2) trains as (5) trains?

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I notice that whenever I get on a (5) train at Grand Central that they are usually (2) trains with the FIND of course turned off. Are they short on (5) trains or what is the deal? I know that the (2) and (5) terminate together in the Bronx and in Brooklyn, but why do they use so many (2) trains as (5) trains?

That's cuz (2) & (5) trains share terminals at Flatbush Av and basically the same yards so an occasional set is on the other line.

I notice that whenever I get on a (5) train at Grand Central that they are usually (2) trains with the FIND of course turned off. Are they short on (5) trains or what is the deal? I know that the (2) and (5) terminate together in the Bronx and in Brooklyn, but why do they use so many (2) trains as (5) trains?

They are called strip maps not FIND's.....plus if you see a (5) train with the (2) strip map once it gets to Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue it becomes a (2)...they swap trains!

R142's with FINDS?!?!?! ZOMG

Anyways (5)s that terminate at Flatbush after 8:28 PM become (2)s.

Also if a (5) terminates on the (2) side, I believe it'll become a (2) by default.

Archived