Why being a conductor is not as bad as some think

Blatherskite

ok, I lied. My father was never a condcutor. He's a partner at an international law firm. I lied because I was embarassed by all the money he makes. Now that I've come clean, can we stop the temper tantrums?

"You constant bringing up the Conductor Dad is drawing some serious doubts about your creditability."

No, the posters here have brought up my father far more than I have. And it needs to stop. I am surprised that some of the posters here managed to pass the MTA psychological exam.

Aside from the obvious reason, why is it important for you to be close to home? Have you succumbed to family life with a husband and children? Do the cats often starve from long hours doing transit? Does the turtle miss you? Im just saying..

if the obvious is so obvious, then what are you trying to say exactly?

"How hard is qualifying for MNR? (C/R and engineer)"

Depends on whether you know someone at MNR.

Donald, please don't make comments on things you know nothing about. Regardless of who your father is or might be or might not be or could be. Personally, what credibility you had has deteriorated in you admitting to lying about relatives on the job. Although I admit, telling the truth is a plus. But not enough in my book.

Now on the the question at hand. I will I don't know first hand of any of the specific procedures but I will tell you what I know from second hand information.

Qualifying has nothing to do with knowing anyone. If you screw up, your out (or get promoted to manager, that's another story). But seriously, they won't think twice about throwing you out on the street.

I know a people in current conductor classes that are on the fast track to qualifying due to a general shortage of conductors. They are supposedly going to do in six months what others have done in a year. They are losing the benefit of OJT that others have had. To qualify they are required to do the obvious such as tariffs and schedules. But also know how to make up a train. Couple and uncouple trains. Know the signals. Know the lengths of all the platforms. Be able to do a reverse move. Know the tracks, switches, etc. They are also required to know procedures in the event of an emergency. In the event of an emergency where outside resources are required (fire/ems) the conductor is the go to person until supervisors arrive.

As a firefighter I was at a derailment on the Harlem Line New Years eve of 1988 or 89. I was one of the first arriving emergency personnel and the conductor was in charge. He was responsible for everyone on that train and working with fire and ems in the extrication of injured passengers. Yes, in time, the MNR fire chief showed up along with other supervisors but what happens in those first minutes are important.

Engineer training is longer as they must go through so much simulator training, OJT, be able to draw all tracks of all lines including switches, sidings, ect. One person I know that qualified with in the last year or two was training for a year and a half. I told others have done it quicker. You also have to be qualified on all equipment. One of the more common jobs fresh out of school is the GCT extra board. Being on that job you could be thrown on any line at any time.

ok, I lied. My father was never a condcutor. He's a partner at an international law firm. I lied because I was embarassed by all the money he makes. Now that I've come clean, can we stop the temper tantrums?

"You constant bringing up the Conductor Dad is drawing some serious doubts about your creditability."

No, the posters here have brought up my father far more than I have. And it needs to stop. I am surprised that some of the posters here managed to pass the MTA psychological exam.

Holy blue thunder. You are just being sarcastic arent you? Your father was a conductor, you and him just hardly speak or something right?

I applied to be a 3rd railman at MNR several years ago and after they called me to tell me I was the next person to be called, I never heard from them again. When I went to take the test at the White Plains yard, I got into a qick conversation with a radio maintainer and he said that in order to stand a chance of being hired, I had to have connections.

Most of the questions I have asked here a condcutor would not know. I don't see how asking such questions proves that my fahter is or is not a conductor. What's wrong with asking questions about what it means if a list is certified? Do you honestly think that someone who last took a civil service exam in 1970 knows what it means? That's 41 years ago for goodness sake, before some of you were born.

Conductors most certainly have to deal with the public; not as much as B/Os, but your still going to get spit on and have to throw homeless people and drug addicts off the train at the terminal. The current track worker list is due to expire soon, so if you don't want to have to deal with the public, take the next test for it.

Oh-boy-Here-we-go.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Jim-Carrey-Troll

For anyone truly interested in the conductor job at NYCTA or the rairoads I would suggest you pay attention to Blatherskite, PopsicleX, RTOman, or truckie, among others. They know what the job entails, from reading their posts, as far as I can see. There are other posts out here that are entertaining but utterly false as to the responsibilities of a conductor on ANY system I've ever heard of. Read them at your own risk !!! As others have pointed out the job entails a lot of responsibility coupled with common sense. I was a conductor and was proud to wear the uniform. Just do your job professionally and you might find that you like it. As for those people posting their "so called" knowledge of the job please stop it. "Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

As for those people posting their "so called" knowledge of the job please stop it. "Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Heh...or in the words of the immortal Carlin "Why do the people who know the least know it the loudest?"

Heh...or in the words of the immortal Carlin "Why do the people who know the least know it the loudest?"

"A man who known not and knows he knows not is wise man. But a man who knows not and doesn't know he knows not is an idiot."- Tony E.

I applied to be a 3rd railman at MNR several years ago and after they called me to tell me I was the next person to be called, I never heard from them again. When I went to take the test at the White Plains yard, I got into a qick conversation with a radio maintainer and he said that in order to stand a chance of being hired, I had to have connections.

When I got hired two years ago I had no connections. I went to a job fair, handed my resume to the recruiter and spoke to her briefly, got called a month later to take a test and passed. Got called three months after that for an interview and physical ability test. Two months after that a start date was set.

Granted, my starting position was not one I necessarily wanted changing careers at 40 years of age (custodian / CDL driver), but regardless, the possibility of advancement is here as opposed to staying in my previous dead end job. Sure, I'd like to be a conductor or engineer but if it doesn't happen, so be it. Most recently I've put in for a change of craft to go to the track gang. If I get called for it, so be it. At this point I'm not holding my breath. The whole hiring possess is in different hands and, from my point of view, running less than smoothly.

I will not deny that there is nepotism in the railroad, but I'm not going to say that that's the only way you'll get hired.

Archived