Brakes

Nature

It's hard to definitively pinpoint the source of a noise without..."interesting" ways to observe the equipment in-service.

A squeaking noise during brake application could be:

• brake shoes
  • brake "rigging"
  • bolster
  • yaw dampers
  • etc...

Now, i'm sure there's a guy in CED that knows exactly what causes it, but this shit ain't easy to figure out all the time.

It's hard to definitively pinpoint the source of a noise without..."interesting" ways to observe the equipment in-service.

• brake shoes

• brake "rigging"

• bolster

• yaw dampers

• etc...

Now, i'm sure there's a guy in CED that knows exactly what causes it, but this shit ain't easy to figure out all the time.

Don't forget the flat wheels. Some M7's have flat wheels and that's what's causing the squeaking on the M7's. Could be the same here.

• brake shoes

• brake "rigging"

• bolster

• yaw dampers

• etc...

fratostats and freebishes, obviously...

LOL

I think it has something to do with Kawasaki being a Japanese company. As I have read from Second Avenue Sagas many New Yorkers, and Americans are literally pissed that we didn't pick an American company to build the subway cars, and thus consider the trains not American, and they literally call it not American. To just say this most Americans even though I am one are extremely paranoid these days.

Wow, that "freebish" guy is a very successful troll. Look at how long it took for people to realize he was lying.

Oh, they didn't. Some people tried to make jokes with it, though.

Foamers will believe anything if it comes from an MTA employee, and most are too dumb to know when someone is quite obviously joking, that's the sad part.

That person's not a troll, just having fun at someone else's expense...and pointing out a rather glaring flaw in so called "railfan logic"

Oh, there are a few trolls on that section of the site. Godawful stuff.

Joe's "answer" can cheer you up if your knowledge of trains and track infrastructure is even basic. If that doesn't help, the squeaking mouse thought will..

"The mice aren't paid enough to squeak as loud as they do..."

I think it has something to do with Kawasaki being a Japanese company. As I have read from Second Avenue Sagas many New Yorkers, and Americans are literally pissed that we didn't pick an American company to build the subway cars, and thus consider the trains not American, and they literally call it not American. To just say this most Americans even though I am one are extremely paranoid these days.
lulz what?

Sigh guys, always forgetting that individual components don't come from the same supplier. FYI, all breaking systems on the NTT's come from WABCO, which is US based. So don't go blaming japanese companies for stuff that's not perfect on the cars.

The only difference between braking systems on certain models of the NTT's are here:

R142, R160 - WABCO RT-5

R142A, R143 WABCO RT-96

The SMEE cars don't tend to squeal as much since their primary brakes are the tread brakes, so they are of a somewhat higher grade to withstand the greater heat exchange and friction. Older SMEE's (R32-R42) squeal more often because their wheels are more worn and have been through more mileage than the new SMEE's (R62-R68). Don't quote me on that one though, as that is only a logical explanation on my part. I would assume that should the trucks and wheelsets be replaced on the R32's and R42's through SMS, the squealing would go away for the time being.

Must be me then cause the R142A on the (6) line where i live i can hear the screeching from a mile away.

A Division it is the worst. Sad for new trains, but it isn't Kawasaki's fault, that is just a maintenance issue, and well..........

I thought it was cause of a dead motor.

That is where the brakes come into play. You have a dead motor, the friction brakes takes the place of the dead motors, since you have no dynamic braking with dead motors. You need live motors to have working dynamic braking. The (6) line is usually dead motors, as you feel the difference when the train operates. Usually the car with the most bucking, and banging, when going and stopping, is the car with the dead motors............

For the OP, it is the Kawasaki R62. The Bombardier is the R62A.........

Archived