Elevator operators

Amtrak7

According to Mocker's video about the 181 St (1) elevator, it's staffed with an operator. I find it odd to have MTA employees staffing hot, stuffy, dirty, smelly elevators all day, which have switches for user operation. What other elevators are staffed/how many "lift men" does the MTA employ?

According to Mocker's video about the 181 St (1) elevator, it's staffed with an operator. I find it odd to have MTA employees staffing hot, stuffy, dirty, smelly elevators all day, which have switches for user operation. What other elevators are staffed/how many "lift men" does the MTA employ?

All of the elevator stations in Washington Heights have operators. Their titles are cleaners. They are usually cleaners on restricted duty and mostly close to retirement. So this is a easy job for them to do instead of cleaning the stations. And yes the elevators are hot and stuffy, but most of the cleaners that do the job seem to have gotten used to it. I hope this has clarified your question.

190th St (A)'s Ft. Washington Av elevator exit has three elevators and 1 elevator is staffed.

Ever since after learning about elevator incident, I started recorded video of any elevators.

One time, I got stopped for taking pic/video of elevator operator at 190th St (A) station.

Why are they staffed, though? All the other elevators in the system not in elevator-only stations work fine without staffers.

BTW, which are the elevator only stations? This is what I know:

191 St, 181 St, 168 St (1)

190 St (A)

Clark St (2)(3)

I agree. With the supposedly cash starved MTA crying poverty, how can they justify paying people for these useless positions? If they want to provide a light duty job for cleaners that are injured, it would be better to put them in closed token booths to at least provide information or sell metrocards.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought of it as a safety thing- as a young woman I always try to use the staffed elevator. I feel like a late night/early morning trip in an unstaffed elevator is an invitation for criminal activity. I absolutely would not feel comfortable going into an empty elevator with one (or 2, 3, etc) other people at a time when the station is virtually deserted.

I always thought of it as a safety thing- as a young woman I always try to use the staffed elevator. I feel like a late night/early morning trip in an unstaffed elevator is an invitation for criminal activity. I absolutely would not feel comfortable going into an empty elevator with one (or 2, 3, etc) other people at a time when the station is virtually deserted.

Very understandable in this skelly city.

Archived