NYCT/MTAB Planned Service Changes for 2011

Amtrak7

That doesn't mean his ideas going to make sense.IMO....

However,I do agree about the S 53 having a LTD (at lease during peak hours in both direction)There's no excuse to have route that have most ridership in SI,not having any LTD service...I could say the same for the S 79,both rote are SRO at the first stop in Brooklyn most of the time.Then you have S 90 isn't all crowded,but yet no LTD for S79 and S 53.

I never said anything about his ideas making sense. Having a feel for services needed and his proposals for bus service are two different things.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to point out that many of the suit and tie crowd in lower Manhattan aren't "rich" by any means. Coming from a person who was a USPS letter carrier down there before going into NYCT many of those people are living no better than you or me. There were many people in my letter carrier days who wore business attire but were at the bottom of the totem pole at their jobs. File clerks, mailroom work, etc. When I worked the Lexington line I would overhear their conversations about working conditions and such and I never envied them. Now, in this economic downturn, I find that these are the very people,in general,who have it in for civil servants because of the benefits civil service offer(ed). I have broken in many suit and tie types who've come into transit so I can't generalize them, but, as a rule, these people are not rich. As Via Garibaldi pointed out, the rich do not ride subways as a rule. Carry on.

In THEORY that's the way it works, but if you've got a smart accountant, you find ways to get out of paying those taxes. There are plenty of very wealthy millionaires who pay next to nothing in taxes because they find loopholes in the system and that is the big problem.

And for all of the suit-and-ties riding the subways, let's compare that to how many of them actually use the subway. Most rich folks live in taxis in NYC and if they do take the subway it's only because they want to look cool and do it as an experiment, NOT because they actually need to. If you watched the Kardashians, there is a scene where two of the sisters talk about how it would be cool to ride the subway for the first time. Meanwhile they ride around with a chauffeur or in a limo or a cab.

The Kardashians are not normal. Many, many upper middle class people shun taxis during rush hour because they cannot get one. Since it takes an average of 13 minutes to hail a cab during rush hour, chances are good that they are going to ride the subway or bus instead. When your time is worth $100+ per hour, you use the fastest method from point A to point B. The subways and buses do not carry the stigma in this crowd that they are assumed to. It isn't "the help" that led the MTA to articulate the M86.

I'd like to point out that many of the suit and tie crowd in lower Manhattan aren't "rich" by any means. Coming from a person who was a USPS letter carrier down there before going into NYCT many of those people are living no better than you or me. There were many people in my letter carrier days who wore business attire but were at the bottom of the totem pole at their jobs. File clerks, mailroom work, etc. When I worked the Lexington line I would overhear their conversations about working conditions and such and I never envied them. Now, in this economic downturn, I find that these are the very people,in general,who have it in for civil servants because of the benefits civil service offer(ed). I have broken in many suit and tie types who've come into transit so I can't generalize them, but, as a rule, these people are not rich. As Via Garibaldi pointed out, the rich do not ride subways as a rule. Carry on.

Wall Street is the fast lane and most people there know it. When the economy fell apart in 2008, small firms were blowing up like crazy. When they see trouble coming, they start saving. There are many anonymous millionaires riding the subway and they make themselves impossible to pick out.

The Kardashians are not normal. Many, many upper middle class people shun taxis during rush hour because they cannot get one. Since it takes an average of 13 minutes to hail a cab during rush hour, chances are good that they are going to ride the subway or bus instead. When your time is worth $100+ per hour, you use the fastest method from point A to point B. The subways and buses do not carry the stigma in this crowd that they are assumed to. It isn't "the help" that led the MTA to articulate the M86.

No one said that they don't. I said let's compare the amount that do to the amount that don't and the true snobs will NOT use the subway.

Wall Street is the fast lane and most people there know it. When the economy fell apart in 2008, small firms were blowing up like crazy. When they see trouble coming, they start saving. There are many anonymous millionaires riding the subway and they make themselves impossible to pick out.

Sure, some use public transportation. I know my boss is one of them and she has a penthouse up on Madison in the 70s. She wouldn't dare use the subway though but she will use the 5th Ave buses to get to and from the office, but that's only because she likes to pretend like she's not from money. She talks about Saks Fifth Avenue like it's an everyday conversation. Now sure there are some of those on the local buses, but there aren't that many millionaires on the subways like that. Sorry but that just isn't the case. Like I said you'll have your lawyers and such that will cut back when times are rough and will use the subway, but as trainmaster said just because someone has a suit and tie on doesn't mean that they're wealthy. I see plenty of those types and I can tell right off of the back because a person w/wealth TENDS to wear better quality clothing. You can tell the quality of the material, how it is cut, etc., as opposed to someone who is just a mailroon worker or whatever. As always of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Dare I mention a few ballplayers (not AROD or Jeter)that are not 'household names' take the subway to get to either Yankee Stadium or Shea/Citifield.

Wade Boggs, Paul O' Neil and Bernie Williams from the recent Yankee past, all claimed in newspaper aricles they were regular riders of the (4) line.

Dare I mention a few ballplayers (not AROD or Jeter)that are not 'household names' take the subway to get to either Yankee Stadium or Shea/Citifield.

Wade Boggs, Paul O' Neil and Bernie Williams from the recent Yankee past, all claimed in newspaper aricles they were regular riders of the (4) line.

Yeah, "claimed" is the key word...

So what about all the people coming in from LI? Do they ride buses/the subway in Manhattan?

Some do if they have to. I've had a few co-workers of mine that used the subway to get to the LIRR but that's about it. It's not like they're estatic or anything to use the subway and it's a quick ride anyway. Of course once they get off the LIRR and they get into their cars.

Archived