NYCT/MTAB Planned Service Changes for 2011

Amtrak7

I don't think so because this is not a service increase. They are shortening the route at all times in exchange for adding weekend service.

Ok. Then before the June '10 doomsday cuts why did not the (MTA) go to the 'communtities' citywide and make compromises like this?

For instance in the B39 situation, you could have made it a weekday only route.

Or still run the BX34 7 days a week and only end overnight service.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For instance in the B39 situation, you could have made it a weekday only route.

Or still run the BX34 7 days a week and only end overnight service.

But those two examples are still a net expense over the original plan. This M50 plan costs nothing.

The x37/x38 does cost another $350 grand per year, but the MTA has to do it as it's the only solution.

The (MTA) is always concerned about ridership, not so much that the express bus meanders about. If they see that no one is using the stops, then they'll adjust it accordingly. That's what happened with the BM3. They eventually realized that most of the ridership in Sheepshead Bay was along Batchelder St., Avenue X, and Emmons, so they streamlined it. Before it used to meander all around Sheepshead Bay for a good 20 minutes before finally going up Ave X to Ocean.

But that is the thing: They aren't capturing any additional ridership. The X22s that serve the park-and-ride will probably have to bypass a lot of the stops along Bloomingdale Road because people don't want to stand. They'll probably be waiting for X22s that don't serve the park-and-ride, since they'll have more room.

It would be one thing if the X22 ran infrequently: It would have to get as many riders as possible by making all of the loops. But since the X22 runs frequently, I see no reason why at least a few buses couldn't be converted to super-expresses. Bloomingdale Road would still have fairly frequent service.

They might as well be going 45MPH on the West Shore Expressway rather than going 20MPH down Bloomingdale Road. It will save them a good 10-15 minutes and encourage additional ridership (as well as help with the parking situation by Arthur Kill Road)

But those two examples are still a net expense over the original plan. This M50 plan costs nothing.

The x37/x38 does cost another $350 grand per year, but the MTA has to do it as it's the only solution.

Maybe they could've compromised even more, to make it cost-neutral. Maybe they could've talked with leaders in Williamsburg and said that the B39 could stay if it were combined with another route (like the B24) and the headways of both routes were reduced.

But that is the thing: They aren't capturing any additional ridership. The X22s that serve the park-and-ride will probably have to bypass a lot of the stops along Bloomingdale Road because people don't want to stand.

Try telling them that. They'd rather have a bus meander about if they even suspect that they'll get more riders. It's annoying, but that is the (MTA). :) That's exactly why I think they haven't did anything with the (S53) yet. They'd rather annoy passengers and have us stop at every stupid stop for one person rather than have limited stop service.

But that is the thing: They aren't capturing any additional ridership. The X22s that serve the park-and-ride will probably have to bypass a lot of the stops along Bloomingdale Road because people don't want to stand. They'll probably be waiting for X22s that don't serve the park-and-ride, since they'll have more room.

The MTA is thinking the opposite of you: they're afraid that if the bus simply starts at the park and ride and then continues express down the Expressway; it won't garner enough ridership. They're just treating it like another point of interest, rather than a park and ride's only transit service.

If they find busloads of riders headed only to the park and ride, they'll change their mind.

I meant that some of the buses that start from Tottenville should use the WSE to go super-express (with stops at Arthur Kill Road and Victory Blvd).

Those trips would carry riders from Tottenville plus riders from the Park-and-Ride plus riders from Arthur Kill Road and Victory Blvd.

The trips that start at the park-and-ride can travel along Bloomingdale Road, leaving a couple of minutes after a super-express pulls out, for those who just missed the super-express.

Then, there can be some buses that start from Tottenville and bypass the park-and-ride.

Going back, the same pattern could operate in reverse: A bus to the Park-and-Ride leaves Midtown, followed by a bus to Tottenville that bypasses the park-and-ride, followed by a bus to Tottenville that travels express and serves the park-and-ride.

But that idea proposed by the MTA wasn't too outrageous. The only problem is that it removes a 7-day limited entirely from that section of Queens, but maybe that can be solved by providing a 3-legged transfer (Q111/Q113 local->Q113 limited->bus or subway in Jamaica).

I'm just glad you're not working at the (MTA). If you were, we'd be standing for the whole ride and we'd have very little service, not to mention express bus service. LOL!

You remind me of this dude I saw on TV. He would steal ketchup packets from the fast food chains so that he didn't have to buy ketchup at the supermarket. LOL

Good thing I didn't get that internship last summer. :)

Seriously, though: It may not be a great idea (personally, I don't think it should be implemented, since approximately 560 passengers would lose limited-stop service), but it does have some logic behind it: Rockaway Blvd is a more direct path than taking 147th Avenue to Brookville Blvd (though I disagree about the nature of the roads: 147th Avenue is one lane, but it is a wide lane, so the buses don't have to crawl on that stretch).

I was referring to qj's ideas:

well I agree with the Q31/76 and 34 BUT THERE IS NO WAY the Q74 and Bx20 off peak service would return they duplicated too many alternatives that were not slow. The Q42 urr why?? 34 is reasonable as it can justify killing off an under utilized express bus. I dont know about the co-op there is service everywhere what happened there??

If I chose it Q88 would be rerouted off of springfield blvd north of union tnpk to cloverdale then replace the Q75 former routing pattern before resuming normal rte. At least q75 ppl can transfer if they want jamacia as the 88 is more frequent than the 75 was. The bx 34 returns to weekend but Bx1 limited gets extended to manhattan 125th the bxm3 will allow transfers there.

The bxm4 will lose weekend service and have no off peak service. service adjusts to meet demand.

Bx 55 weekend service BUT extends to flushing via LGA some trips combine with Q48 at rush hr an express veriant bypasses roosevelt to flushing.

saturday service returns to X28

Then extend Q35 to boro park replacing the B23. Select trips only.

Plus the Bx38 extension to City Island will not work. That has delays written all over it

But that idea proposed by the MTA wasn't too outrageous. The only problem is that it removes a 7-day limited entirely from that section of Queens, but maybe that can be solved by providing a 3-legged transfer (Q111/Q113 local->Q113 limited->bus or subway in Jamaica).

Think about it. 2 stops are being removed: 147th and Springfield and Brookville and 147th

What's your point? That's definitely a strike against that idea, but the question is: Do the number of people riding from Guy R Brewer Blvd to Far Rockaway outnumber the people using the limited along 147th Avenue?

I was referring to qj's ideas:

well I agree with the Q31/76 and 34 BUT THERE IS NO WAY the Q74 and Bx20 off peak service would return they duplicated too many alternatives that were not slow. The Q42 urr why?? 34 is reasonable as it can justify killing off an under utilized express bus. I dont know about the co-op there is service everywhere what happened there??

If I chose it Q88 would be rerouted off of springfield blvd north of union tnpk to cloverdale then replace the Q75 former routing pattern before resuming normal rte. At least q75 ppl can transfer if they want jamacia as the 88 is more frequent than the 75 was. The bx 34 returns to weekend but Bx1 limited gets extended to manhattan 125th the bxm3 will allow transfers there.

The bxm4 will lose weekend service and have no off peak service. service adjusts to meet demand.

Bx 55 weekend service BUT extends to flushing via LGA some trips combine with Q48 at rush hr an express veriant bypasses roosevelt to flushing.

saturday service returns to X28

Then extend Q35 to boro park replacing the B23. Select trips only.

Plus the Bx38 extension to City Island will not work. That has delays written all over it

Alright. I thought you were referring to his thoughts on the Q113 limited rerouting.

In any case, I think these ideas make some sense. The only ones I disagree with are the X28, Q35, and Q88 ideas. I agree with extending the Bx55 to LaGuardia (that was actually proposed by the MTA back in 2007), but not with combining it with the Q48.

The Q31 and Q76 I agree with. The BxM4 is an expensive route, but if the Bx34 served the riders along Katonah Avenue, I think they would be somewhat satisfied (if not, they can take Metro-North into Grand Central).

Good thing I didn't get that internship last summer. :)

Seriously, though: It may not be a great idea (personally, I don't think it should be implemented, since approximately 560 passengers would lose limited-stop service), but it does have some logic behind it: Rockaway Blvd is a more direct path than taking 147th Avenue to Brookville Blvd (though I disagree about the nature of the roads: 147th Avenue is one lane, but it is a wide lane, so the buses don't have to crawl on that stretch).

Don't forget Brookville Blvd floods easily. By putting the LTD off there, it's one less bus that needs to be rerouted.

I thought the MTA only gives Operations Planning internships to college students?

They offered me some type of internship after I gave them a list of ideas. (I think I posted them here before I gave my presentation to the MTA. They were the ones regarding expanding limited-stop service and bringing back some of the routes that were eliminated by restructuring them with other routes).

I'm assuming the internship was for Operations Planning, but in the end they couldn't find space for me. Maybe part of the reason was because I was a high school student.

What's your point? That's definitely a strike against that idea, but the question is: Do the number of people riding from Guy R Brewer Blvd to Far Rockaway outnumber the people using the limited along 147th Avenue?

Alright. I thought you were referring to his thoughts on the Q113 limited rerouting.

In any case, I think these ideas make some sense. The only ones I disagree with are the X28, Q35, and Q88 ideas. I agree with extending the Bx55 to LaGuardia (that was actually proposed by the MTA back in 2007), but not with combining it with the Q48.

The Q31 and Q76 I agree with. The BxM4 is an expensive route, but if the Bx34 served the riders along Katonah Avenue, I think they would be somewhat satisfied (if not, they can take Metro-North into Grand Central).

My point is it wouldn't happen if the (Q77) was extended. A lot of school kids use that stop at Springfield and 147th. The (MTA) was going to create a new route called the Bx50 from Fordham Plaza to LGA, not extend the (Bx55)

But wouldn't the Bx50 travel down Third or Webster Avenues to reach the RFK Bridge from Fordham Plaza? It would basically be performing the same role as the Bx55.

And I agree that the Q77 should be extended to 147th Avenue, to provide a connection to the Q111/Q113. It terminates at 145th Road because it is easy to turn the buses around, but I'm sure they could find a street where the people wouldn't complain that a bus is traveling on it.

Q76 should have Saturday service return with 30-minute headways most of the day and hourly the last couple of trips until last bus leaving College Point at around 9pm. Not sure if Sunday service is ever needed on that route.

Again on Satuday X27/28 service you really need to run them both to be fair. And if there a Bronx express bus route that should lose Sunday service it is the BXM2. Riverdale Already have the BXM1 and BXM3 7 days a week.

On the BXM4 I would keep at least Saturday service as the nearby (D) line only has the Yankee Stadium station ADA accesible.

Q76 should have Saturday service return with 30-minute headways most of the day and hourly the last couple of trips until last bus leaving College Point at around 9pm. Not sure if Sunday service is ever needed on that route.

Again on Satuday X27/28 service you really need to run them both to be fair. And if there a Bronx express bus route that should lose Sunday service it is the BXM2. Riverdale Already have the BXM1 and BXM3 7 days a week.

On the BXM4 I would keep at least Saturday service as the nearby (D) line only has the Yankee Stadium station ADA accesible.

The BxM4 does run 7 days a week

By the way, I think the X27 should be restored on Saturdays before the X28, since ridership is higher and there are fewer alternatives.

They will not restore weekend service, since there are basically no ways of making it cost-neutral. Combining into one route would make the route prohibitively long and expensive. There is no way that a bus route on a weekend with an express section, no matter how long, can break even.

They will not restore weekend service, since there are basically no ways of making it cost-neutral. Combining into one route would make the route prohibitively long and expensive. There is no way that a bus route on a weekend with an express section, no matter how long, can break even.

Actually, the X1 comes close. If the frequency were reduced a little bit, it probably could break even (Of course, you might have some crushloaded buses, but it does show that it is possible).

I know the X27 isn't going to come back (unless a politician can somehow manage to save it, but the cost wouldn't justify the restoration of the service like it did with the X37/X38), but I'm just saying that, if it came down to restoring one or the other, the X27 should be restored first.

By the way, I just read that they only evaluate about 50% of the weekday schedules and 25% of the weekend schedules on the local bus every year. That doesn't seem to make sense to me: I think they should try to evaluate all local bus schedules to see where changes can be made.

Wouldn't that mean that each route only has a chance to receive limited-stop service every 2 years, since that is how often they evaluate the schedules and make changes?

Senator Golden has found the funding before to keep express bus service on the X27/X28 on the weekends, and folks like myself are willing to support him financially to get the service restored if need be for both lines for Saturday and Sunday, so I wouldn't count that out yet. Golden has a ton of pull and while he hasn't gotten everything that he's fought for with the (MTA), he's been pretty damn successful in getting his way because he has strong political backing from the areas he represents in Southern Brooklyn. He got service re-routed down Third Ave in Bay Ridge to replace the (B37) and he also got the (MTA) to compromise with the (B31) and (B2). :)

Archived