NYCT/MTAB Planned Service Changes for 2011

Amtrak7

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read the section regarding the (Q113). They're taking off 2 LTD stops and adding one.

This may seem like a dumb question but here goes. Could it be a main reason the (MTA) Bus officals re-routed the (Q113)off Brookville and onto Rockaway Blvd is that Brookville is subject to frequent flooding during heavy rain?

This may seem like a dumb question but here goes. Could it be a main reason the (MTA) Bus officals re-routed the (Q113) off Brookville and onto Rockaway Blvd is that Brookville is subject to frequent flooding during heavy rain?

No question is too dumb lol. Anyway, officials rerouted the (Q113) LTD because it took an indirect path to Rockaway Tpke, increasing travel time and distance to Far Rockaway. They're taking off two LTD stops (147th/Springfield and Brookville/147th) and adding one (Guy R Brewer/147) to maintain the connection to the 147 Av corridor. I'd have to tell you, this route has come a long way since the takeover.

No question is too dumb lol. Anyway, officials rerouted the (Q113) LTD because it took an indirect path to Rockaway Tpke, increasing travel time and distance to Far Rockaway. They're taking off two LTD stops (147th/Springfield and Brookville/147th) and adding one (Guy R Brewer/147) to maintain the connection to the 147 Av corridor. I'd have to tell you, this route has come a long way since the takeover.

Thanks. Maybe there is '1' dumb question. How much is 1 +1?B)

So basically, if you live in Rosedale, you're takin the 111 (or a walk over to the 85)... adding a LTD stop on 147th/Guy R Brewer doesn't do much of anything....

guess when this happens, I wont be fanning the x63 anymore (not like I have recently anyway... lol)... I used to stop right by that corner store off brookville/ 147th rd (or w/e side street that is) & wait for the Q113... that was a well used stop too....

Looking at the broader picture though, this is a good move for the 113 route overall (Rosedale residents may disagree)... The route drags enough whilst in that small stint in spends in Nassau, before it heads over towards FRK..... and over there @ the Brookville Cemetery (I like to call it... over there by all that swamp/marshland there), flooding is an issue, and the way that road chicanes, it does worsen the ride/commute time for those riders.....

So basically, if you live in Rosedale, you're takin the 111 (or a walk over to the 85)... adding a LTD stop on 147th/Guy R Brewer doesn't do much of anything....

guess when this happens, I wont be fanning the x63 anymore (not like I have recently anyway... lol)... I used to stop right by that corner store off brookville/ 147th rd (or w/e side street that is) & wait for the Q113... that was a well used stop too....

Looking at the broader picture though, this is a good move for the 113 route overall (Rosedale residents may disagree)... The route drags enough whilst in that small stint in spends in Nassau, before it heads over towards FRK..... and over there @ the Brookville Cemetery (I like to call it... over there by all that swamp/marshland there), flooding is an issue, and the way that road chicanes, it does worsen the ride/commute time for those riders.....

You put it right on the money. At first, I was against it because the school kids that use the 147/Springfield stop wont have LTD service anymore. Then I realized the route does crawl on 147th and has to deal with the myriad of turns on Brookville Blvd.

Do you think that, as a compromise to the riders in Rosedale, the Q111 could run as a limited starting from Brookville Blvd/147th Avenue, and the Q113 local could run a little bit more frequently? It sucks for the people in Rosedale: They have no limited-stop bus unless they walk over to the Q85 (and even that runs rush hours only)

By the way, are there a lot of dollar vans in this area?

Do you think that, as a compromise to the riders in Rosedale, the Q111 could run as a limited starting from Brookville Blvd/147th Avenue, and the Q113 local could run a little bit more frequently? It sucks for the people in Rosedale: They have no limited-stop bus unless they walk over to the Q85 (and even that runs rush hours only)

Yes, there are dollar vans in the area. I doubt if they ever decide to make the (Q111) a LTD. I guess a compromise like you brought up is implement a 3 legged transfer for riders boarding the (Q113) LTD

hmm... well, I know that there are dollar vans that pan out to Rosedale, but I don't know how frequent/prevalent they are, bro....

I agree w/ Q43; I can't see em throwing LTD's on the Q111... Good chance they'll say that the Q113 (still) runs LTD along Guy R Brewer (that's the first excuse that'll be thrown at the Rosedale folk)... Of course, you & I know that means nothin to those particular riders, but it'll still most likely be said... And I don't know of anyone that's ever taken a local bus, hopped off it, to catch a LTD counterpart of a like route.... for starters, you, the rider, lose money doing that... lol...

Anyway, the scenario is somewhat similar to the Q21/53, where the LTD (53) bypasses the residential portion of Lindenwood (21), to head further south....

Absolutely right.... does suck that those people (Roseda..lians? haha...) got the LTD taken from them (unless they wanna backtrack to Guy R Brewer, itself, which I see virtually no one doing w/ the local routing still intact)... but if it's for the better for the overall route (which I think'll end up being the case) to run nonstop along that stretch of Rockaway Blvd, make those two stops along the Rockaway Tpke (general area over there by 5 towns), as well as hoppin on the Nassau Expwy...

man, I have to repeat what Q43 said.... the Q113 has come a long way since the JBL days.....

hmm... well, I know that there are dollar vans that pan out to Rosedale, but I don't know how frequent/prevalent they are, bro....

I agree w/ Q43; I can't see em throwing LTD's on the Q111... Good chance they'll say that the Q113 (still) runs LTD along Guy R Brewer (that's the first excuse that'll be thrown at the Rosedale folk)... Of course, you & I know that means nothin to those particular riders, but it'll still most likely be said... And I don't know of anyone that's ever taken a local bus, hopped off it, to catch a LTD counterpart of a like route.... for starters, you, the rider, lose money doing that... lol...

Anyway, the scenario is somewhat similar to the Q21/53, where the LTD (53) bypasses the residential portion of Lindenwood (21), to head further south....

Absolutely right.... does suck that those people (Roseda..lians? haha...) got the LTD taken from them (unless they wanna backtrack to Guy R Brewer, itself, which I see virtually no one doing w/ the local routing still intact)... but if it's for the better for the overall route (which I think'll end up being the case) to run nonstop along that stretch of Rockaway Blvd, make those two stops along the Rockaway Tpke (general area over there by 5 towns), as well as hoppin on the Nassau Expwy...

man, I have to repeat what Q43 said.... the Q113 has come a long way since the JBL days.....

You don't lose money if your whole trip is in that one corridor, since a local->limited transfer is still free (at least to my knowledge)

And I've tried doing that (transferring from the S48 to the S98), but failed every time. Whenever I'm making that trip (from Forest Avenue/Broadway to Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue), the S48 is supposed to arrive 5 minutes after the last S98 left (and 10 minutes before the next S98), but sometimes, for some reason the S98 catches up to us.

You don't lose money if your whole trip is in that one corridor, since a local->limited transfer is still free (at least to my knowledge)

And I've tried doing that (transferring from the S48 to the S98), but failed every time. Whenever I'm making that trip (from Forest Avenue/Broadway to Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue), the S48 is supposed to arrive 5 minutes after the last S98 left (and 10 minutes before the next S98), but sometimes, for some reason the S98 catches up to us.

There are no free transfers between local and LTD/SBS runs. If you get (back) on any bus of the same route, you will be charged another fare IIRC.

There are no free transfers between local and LTD/SBS runs. If you get (back) on any bus of the same route, you will be charged another fare IIRC.

Not for nothing, but once I transferred from a Southbound (B44) LTD to a Southbound (B44) Local at Avenue U and got charged a new fare....

Although I did transfer from the (M) to the (B44) LTD first...

Nice to hear about these changes.... now if only to bring back the B23 and extend it to VA Hospital/Bay Ridge and Kings County Hosptial *brick'd*

I was kidding *falls over*

I guess that is the advantage of living in Staten Island: The limited runs are numbered differently from the local runs, so they are technically different routes and accept the transfer.

Not for nothing, but once I transferred from a Southbound (B44) LTD to a Southbound (B44) Local at Avenue U and got charged a new fare....

Although I did transfer from the (M) to the (B44) LTD first...

Nice to hear about these changes.... now if only to bring back the B23 and extend it to VA Hospital/Bay Ridge and Kings County Hosptial *brick'd*

I was kidding *falls over*

Why did you do that? Doesn't the limited go all the way down to Emmons Avenue?

In any case, it probably was because you used up your transfer going from the (M) to the B44 LTD.

I think they should change that policy, considering the fact that, if you are using the local, you are using service that is more expensive (to them). They should be encouraging you to make most of your trip on the limited.

Like I said, I think you should be allowed unlimited transfers within a 2 hour period, rather than just one (or in some cases, two) transfers. They might lose a little bit of revenue, but I'm sure the fact that a person has to pay 2 fares to complete the trip is discouraging some people from using mass transit.

...Like I said, I think you should be allowed unlimited transfers within a 2 hour period, rather than just one (or in some cases, two) transfers. They might lose a little bit of revenue, but I'm sure the fact that a person has to pay 2 fares to complete the trip is discouraging some people from using mass transit.

Do you you realize how much people would exploit that?

But how many people actually use their transfer to make a round trip under the current structure? It is possible, since many routes are spaced closely together.

For example, how many people take the (:((Q) in one direction and then take the B49 or B68 back? There is the opportunity, but how many people can actually get to their destination, do what they want to do, and then come back before 2 hours are up?

But how many people actually use their transfer to make a round trip under the current structure? It is possible, since many routes are spaced closely together.

For example, how many people take the (:((Q) in one direction and then take the B49 or B68 back? There is the opportunity, but how many people can actually get to their destination, do what they want to do, and then come back before 2 hours are up?

You are one funny dude... People would take advantage like crazy! On one hand you support the (MTA) cutting service and packing us on buses like sardines to save money and on the other hand you think they should give unlimited transfers for two hours which would cost them significantly in lost savings. :confused: LOL

When I actually used Pay-Per-Ride, I'd do it all the time. Take the train going and the bus coming back. It is certainly doable if you plan accordingly.

What do you think I want them to save money for? Yes, I want them to reduce the fares, and reduced services would help pay for it.

My point is that the majority of riders don't do that. I've done it myself as well (last year, I would take the S46 home from school, and then take the S44 to West Brighton, rather than take the S44 in both directions). But how much revenue is the MTA losing from people doing this now? I highly doubt it is much.

What do you think I want them to save money for? Yes, I want them to reduce the fares, and reduced services would help pay for it.

My point is that the majority of riders don't do that. I've done it myself as well (last year, I would take the S46 home from school, and then take the S44 to West Brighton, rather than take the S44 in both directions). But how much revenue is the MTA losing from people doing this now? I highly doubt it is much.

How do you know that? I don't think you give folks as much credit as you should for them knowing how to stretch $2.25. You also seem to forget how much the (MTA) loses from those folks with the unlimited cards that swipe folks at the turnstile.

I'd rather pay more and be more comfortable than be packed like a sardine for a few pennies.

Like I said, I think you should be allowed unlimited transfers within a 2 hour period, rather than just one (or in some cases, two) transfers.

wow....

Whatever aspirations you ever had of being a businessman, just flew out the window w/ that comment, and the thinking behind it.... We (FP, via, and myself) are the proverbial foot, and you are the doormat in this situation....

Only reason SCT has a similar system in place, is due to the (poor) inter-connectivity of its routes, being that you could take an hour just to wait for a connecting bus... that's happened to me on many occasions, but that's neither here nor there... you'd be hard pressed to embark upon more than 3 buses in a 2 hour period out in Suffolk...

(the 3 bus commute in Suffolk is more common than most may think)

How many buses can you take w/i a 2 hour period in NYC..... easily in the double digits...

exploitation is the perfect word for it... It aint about who does what in a given commute in NYC, it's about the idea that such a system would be implemented in the first damn place....

How do you know that? I don't think you give folks as much credit as you should for them knowing how to stretch $2.25. You also seem to forget how much the (MTA) loses from those folks with the unlimited cards that swipe folks at the turnstile.

I'd rather pay more and be more comfortable than be packed like a sardine for a few pennies.

Like I said, it isn't that much. The MTA gets something like $2 billion in annual revenue from the buses and subways. All of the scams and everything cost it something like $40 million, which is less than 2% of the revenue.

wow....

Whatever aspirations you ever had of being a businessman, just flew out the window w/ that comment, and the thinking behind it.... We (FP, via, and myself) are the proverbial foot, and you are the doormat in this situation....

Only reason SCT has a similar system in place, is due to the (poor) inter-connectivity of its routes, being that you could take an hour just to wait for a connecting bus... that's happened to me on many occasions, but that's neither here nor there... you'd be hard pressed to embark upon more than 3 buses in a 2 hour period out in Suffolk...

(the 3 bus commute in Suffolk is more common than most may think)

How many buses can you take w/i a 2 hour period in NYC..... easily in the double digits...

exploitation is the perfect word for it... It aint about who does what in a given commute in NYC, it's about the idea that such a system would be implemented in the first damn place....

But the question is: How many people actually make a round-trip on the same fare under the current circumstances? I doubt that it is a large percentage.

And with the recent service reductions, there are a lot of trips that now require 3 modes of transportation (which was what gave me this idea in the first place). Even before then, trips between areas with no subway (for example, Southern Brooklyn to Eastern Queens) required, and still require 2 fares.

How about just programming a 2nd transfer onto the MetroCard for all trips?

unlimited transfers in a given period would be a reason to RAISE fares, for all the service we have here in the city....

you don't reduce service in hopes of reducing fares....

what are you talkin about....

But the question is: How many people actually make a round-trip on the same fare under the current circumstances? I doubt that it is a large percentage.

And with the recent service reductions, there are a lot of trips that now require 3 modes of transportation (which was what gave me this idea in the first place). Even before then, trips between areas with no subway (for example, Southern Brooklyn to Eastern Queens) required, and still require 2 fares.

How about just programming a 2nd transfer onto the MetroCard for all trips?

having unlimited xfers isn't the way to go about it....

You provide services with which you think would gain revenue (considering, demand).... and, you aim for cost neutral changes to current services with which you want to alter (or, outright cut it if you're tryna save a few bucks in your budget).... You don't implement changes which would cause you to LOSE money... Who is in business for the goal of operating in the red....

this idea of yours is a short-sighted thought....

MTA would lose more money than it would ever hope to gain in the longrun....

Keep transfers as being good for one bus only.... You live in a 2 fare zone, pay the 2nd fare & be done with it.

Archived