New S74/S78 bus stop at Bricktown Mall

S78 via Hylan

Thanks. I don't know why there is an S84 to "St. George" on the stop.....

Oh snap, you're right! Who knows, they may plan to implement AM S84 Limited service sometime down the road lol.

Oh snap, you're right! Who knows, they may plan to implement AM S84 Limited service sometime down the road lol.

I was watching NY1 this morning during the Staten Island segment and they said that the (S74), (S78) and (S84) will all stop there. Wait why do they have limited stop service in the PM and nothing during the AM???

It would actually cost them almost nothing: In the AM, buses come from Tottenville every 15 minutes, and from Eltingville every 7-8 minutes. All they have to do is turn those buses from Tottenville into S84s.

I was watching NY1 this morning during the Staten Island segment and they said that the (S74), (S78) and (S84) will all stop there. Wait why do they have limited stop service in the PM and nothing during the AM???

The S84 technically will stop there on its way back.

As far as limited-stop service in one direction goes, maybe it is because they feel that, in the morning, the demand is more from schoolchildren, who might use the local stops (though I don't know of any schools located near local stops on the bus).

In the afternoon, maybe there are some riders who take the express bus in the morning (when they're in a rush to get to work), and then take the ferry home at night.

It would actually cost them almost nothing: In the AM, buses come from Tottenville every 15 minutes, and from Eltingville every 7-8 minutes. All they have to do is turn those buses from Tottenville into S84s.

The S84 technically will stop there on its way back.

As far as limited-stop service in one direction goes, maybe it is because they feel that, in the morning, the demand is more from schoolchildren, who might use the local stops (though I don't know of any schools located near local stops on the bus).

In the afternoon, maybe there are some riders who take the express bus in the morning (when they're in a rush to get to work), and then take the ferry home at night.

And what do you think of the new (S78)?? I think is way too long. Too much meandering going on. It basically goes all the way south to meander going North again... A little bit of an overkill to say the least.

And what do you think of the new (S78)?? I think is way too long. Too much meandering going on. It basically goes all the way south to meander going North again... A little bit of an overkill to say the least.

Yesterday, I rode the (S78) the entire route from Bricktown to St. George. It wasn't too bad. The driver flew most of the route.

Yesterday, I rode the (S78) the entire route from Bricktown to St. George. It wasn't too bad. The driver flew most of the route.

Sundays is one thing, but the traffic on Hylan during the week can be killer. That route needs to be straightened out more. Too much meandering about.

Since much of Hylan Blvd south of Richmond Avenue is wide open, it probably won't be that hard (or at least, much harder than it is now) to make up the lost time.

Taking out the cost savings coming from this (which is significant considering the relatively few amount of people affected), I think the people along Arthur Kill Road would probably be better off being served by the S74. It doesn't hit the traffic that the S78 does in the New Dorp area.

The problem is that people in Tottenville are going to be screwed either way if the MTA wants to provide any service to Bricktowne. If the S74 served Bricktowne and Tottenville, they would have to sit there while the bus makes the loop through Bricktowne.

Of course, if the DOT were smart and installed a bus lane for the 10 routes using that section of Hylan Blvd, the traffic in New Dorp wouldn't be as much of a problem. :mad:

Sundays is one thing, but the traffic on Hylan during the week can be killer. That route needs to be straightened out more. Too much meandering about.

The problem is that the streets in Tottenville are one-way, so there is really no way to straighten it out. You could try rerouting the buses to take Brighton Street instead of Craig Avenue, but that would isolate the western part of Tottenville (and it would pass by a school, which would give it more potential for delays)

Archived