Protocol for Repainting Buses

There seems to be a certain protocol that is supposed to be followed when repainting buses, but often times I see buses that are not painted following the protocol. The question is why does it happen so often and are buses ever sent back to be redone if they aren't repainted correctly? B)

The depot might not be in stock of the number decals..so something has to be put on..which is why some buses have odd looking numbers. And it is very rare for a bus to be redone. Also depends on the depot if it is MTA Bus or NYCT.

Yeah, someone bought that up before. What I don't get is why they're always short on those things, esp. numbers and such? And why are the numbers different from the ones that are put on when they are originally delivered? The "8s" are always weird looking. But, I was more curious about the paint botches. There was a pic of a 49XX posted that had the area where the signage is near the lights painted white, when that area should be black. It looks god awful too.

Those 8s are strange: all blackbacked buses and the NGs have normal font 8s, but every bus since has a bold 8. In terms of oddities, there're a few around the system.

I think that's 4925 you're talking about, which is an interesting bus.

Casey Stengel has a couple buses with MTA Bus style numbering at the front.

3852 and 3877 have had their fronts rebuilt and 3877 actually has an extra MTA sticker on it, while 3852 has been double whitebacked. 6407, 6409, 6649 and 6672 have their destination signs painted white, and 6672 has the wrong set of numbers (the ones you see on a blackback).

The one I can't figure out is the metal plate above the LCD, there I have no idea. I know MTA Bus O7 Hybrids leave that metal bare, whereas that's no the policy at NYCT. Blackbacks (there's one left, 6701) have it bare, and 6631, 6666, and 6671 are whitebacked have had it left bare for whatever odd reason. Don't know why it isn't consistent, but who knows.

Yeah, Manhattanville is terrible with the paint jobs!! I've also noticed that the NGs out of Manhattanville seem to have something missing when you get on the bus. Any idea what the holes are from??

...The one I can't figure out is the metal plate above the LCD, there I have no idea. I know MTA Bus O7 Hybrids leave that metal bare, whereas that's no the policy at NYCT. Blackbacks (there's one left, 6701) have it bare, and 6631, 6666, and 6671 are whitebacked have had it left bare for whatever odd reason. Don't know why it isn't consistent, but who knows.

Over here at the Pond, every OG has that metal strip painted white when they were changed to whitebacks. The only exception to this rule is 6490 (the 1st one from the 2005 order) which still has the original blackback

Over here at the Pond, every OG has that metal strip painted white when they were changed to whitebacks. The only exception to this rule is 6490 (the 1st one from the 2005 order) which still has the original blackback

Another thing that annoys me... Makes the buses look cheap... :mad: :tdown:

There seems to be a certain protocol that is supposed to be followed when repainting buses, but often times I see buses that are not painted following the protocol. The question is why does it happen so often and are buses ever sent back to be redone if they aren't repainted correctly? :P

as far as i know, there are only 4 place that have full paint booths and are allowed to fully repaint a bus (Jackie Gleason, Grand Ave, Zerega, and Crosstown). this usually means that the bus doesn't leave the facility until it has a satisfactory paint job in the eyes of supervision in charge of the facility. I've never heard of a bus getting sent back to "fix" paint jobs, especially if it has already been towed/driven back to its depot

as far as i know, there are only 4 place that have full paint booths and are allowed to fully repaint a bus (Jackie Gleason, Grand Ave, Zerega, and Crosstown). this usually means that the bus doesn't leave the facility until it has a satisfactory paint job in the eyes of supervision in charge of the facility. I've never heard of a bus getting sent back to "fix" paint jobs, especially if it has already been towed/driven back to its depot

Interesting... So in other words, even if the paint job is f*cked up (meaning certain things are painted that shouldn't be) it just has to be signed off by the supervisor? I was thinking someone higher up would have more say so. :eek:

There seems to be a certain protocol that is supposed to be followed when repainting buses, but often times I see buses that are not painted following the protocol. The question is why does it happen so often and are buses ever sent back to be redone if they aren't repainted correctly? :P

From my observations, there is a standard for painting new buses, but not a specific protocol. Some paint facilities paint the reason destination signs on the RTS, and some don't. It appears as if it depends on the painting location. I have also noticed an MTAB Orions fresh out the paint booths with NYCB titles.

as far as i know, there are only 4 place that have full paint booths and are allowed to fully repaint a bus (Jackie Gleason, Grand Ave, Zerega, and Crosstown). this means that the bus doesn't leave the facility until it has a satisfactory paint job in the eyes of supervision in charge of the facility. I've never heard of a bus getting sent back to "fix" paint jobs, especially if it has already been towed/driven back to its depot

East New York, Eastchester have them as well. Fresh Pond, College Point and a couple others have paint booths as well IIRC. I'm not sure if they are equipped for full repaints though. The one at ENY will be converted into a non-revenue truck maintenance facility in 2013.

From my observations, there is a standard for painting new buses, but not a specific protocol. Some paint facilities paint the reason destination signs on the RTS, and some don't. It appears as if it depends on the painting location. I have also noticed an MTAB Orions fresh out the paint booths with NYCB titles.

East New York, Eastchester have them as well. Fresh Pond, College Point and a couple others have paint booths as well IIRC. I'm not sure if they are equipped for full repaints though. The one at ENY will be converted into a non-revenue truck maintenance facility in 2013.

i was under the impression that ENY, back when it was still a base shop, sent all of its buses to Crosstown to be painted...and there is already a non revenue truck/car shop as well as a restoration shop for the museum buses at ENY.

What the F*CK is wrong with the numbers on Casey Stengel whiteback #633?

Cait Sith's video.

Yeah, the numbers are enormous... I want to know where they get the numbers from anyway that they have such a hard time getting the right font size and such.

Yeah, the numbers are enormous... I want to know where they get the numbers from anyway that they have such a hard time getting the right font size and such.

Yeah, and I think they use stickers for numbers and (MTA) because I find the (MTA) missing on Orion V 666 on the door side and half the 6 in 644 is gone on Orion V 644. LOL!

i was under the impression that ENY, back when it was still a base shop, sent all of its buses to Crosstown to be painted...and there is already a non revenue truck/car shop as well as a restoration shop for the museum buses at ENY.

You are correct to a certain extent. Some buses however were painted at ENY as well. As part of ENY's rehab, the current paint booth will converted into the new non-revenue truck shop. They are changing a few things around throughout the ENY complex. It pretty much started when they sent majority of the museum fleet to Amsterdam.

Archived