LIRR C3 Cab Car

dfkwcwp

Hey,

I'm new to this message board but think it's a neat one. Anyone who has ever seen the blue and silver, slope-faced cab car of the double decker LIRR C3 train is able to see that the engineer sits in the front of the cab. What though is inside the rest of that cab car? Is the rest of that car just a giant engine compartment or is the engineer able to walk thru the entire cabcar?

Also the cab car I believe has 2 seats. I'm assuming the second seat doesn't have a controller next to it, but is just for a passenger?

Anyone have pictures?

Best,

Jason

Kamen thanks for that info! Very cool stuff to know. So forgive me because I'm learning but, DE's cant run into Penn? Why arent all the these trains DM's? Is it a cost issue?

So yes to clarify my question, what's in back of where the engineer sits in the locomotive of the DM or DE cars. The larger metal section where there are what appear to be vents on the exterior? Can somone walk thru that section?

Best,

Jason

Kamen thanks for that info! Very cool stuff to know. So forgive me because I'm learning but, DE's cant run into Penn? Why arent all the these trains DM's? Is it a cost issue?

Best,

Jason

Partially because not every diesel train originates in Penn. Since a significant portion of the trains originate at Long Island City, Jamaica or further east, it wouldn't be financially prudent to have every locomotive a DM, even given the fleet flexibility.

Interesting! So the DE's terminate before Manhattan huh? So Amtrak will connect an entire old locomotive to a train just for baggage?

Where does power come from for the cars etc. for locomotives with the basic configuration?

Wow thanks for this info. Very very interesting.

Speaking of electrical why does the power cut out on the LIRR M1/M3 fleet and not the M7s?

He does. There's a device that the M7s have that the M1/3s dont. Someone with more technical knowledge can fill in the blanks.

M7s are equip with batteries that kick in on third rail gaps and rail crossings.

Archived