New mini maps on platforms

Abba

Almost every station served by the (R) in Manhattan has them, even if the platform is shared with the (N). Wonder why they're different from the joined (4)/(5) ones then.

Because only from the 60th Street Tunnel to Prince Street in Manhattan does the (R) run on the same tracks with the (N). OTOH, the (4) and (5) share tracks from the south Bronx to Franklin Avenue in Brooklyn (or Bowling Green, Manhattan, on weekends), a much longer distance. Although I think it would be better if the (4) and (5) had their own separate strip maps as well, like the ones the MTA has in the station entrances near the booths. Also, the (N)is most likely not going to remain full-time local in Manhattan permanently and is likely going to be express again once Phase 1 of the SAS opens. Then a joined ®/(N) mini-map will make even less sense.

The NYC Subway is a complex system, and there's always a question about how much information should be placed on maps, signs and other aids.

There was a question in this stream about the differences between weekday and weekend service, or midnight hour service - and how or if that kind of information should or should not be displayed on this strip maps.

On one hand there is the desire to keep these maps simple, and readable.

On the other hand there is the idea that, for example the R-train does not run during the midnight hours, but the strip map somehow does not seem to indicate what a rider should do. At most stations the over-head signage is usually placed near the stairways - I suppose for arriving passengers to read and determine what trains to take.

Anyway these signs are very nice.

Mike

They should prove useful to people who aren't experienced with riding the subway. They're only replacing the old signs that were in place but these are much more easy to get information from. I agree that they should put information on when each route runs so people aren't waiting for the train when it's never going to show up.

Archived