NJN Network to go off the air on 7/1/11 to merge with WNET-TV Ch.13

Shortline Bus

Since we have a large number of posters who live in NJ, this is an important TV news. Barring a last minute veto, New Jersey Network will go 'off the air' on July 1, 2011 and merge into NYC's based WNET-TV/Channel 13. This is a similar deal to how a few back Long Island's former PBS station WLIW-TV 21 "merged" with Ch.13.

Christie says NJN will end; nonprofit in N.Y. will absorb channel

BY MICHAEL SYMONS - NJ PRESS MEDIA • June 6, 2011

"New Jersey Network, the state-run media outfit that has for 43 years produced programming dedicated to public affairs in the Garden State, will be no more under a proposal unveiled today by Gov. Chris Christie.

The television network will be absorbed by WNET, a New York-based public broadcasting network, on July 1. Its new name will be NJTV, and it will function more independently.

Christie, speaking during a morning news conference at the Statehouse, said it seemed strange to him that New Jersey was still in the television business. The state, he said, needed public media not paid for with tax dollars and independent of government.

“No one elected me to be programmer in chief,” he said. It is an inherent conflict for state to operate a television station, he said.

The contract with WNET requires a minimum of 20 hours per week of New Jersey programming. Limited nightly news will begin July 1; full news programs in September.

WNET will create a new nonprofit entity called New Jersey Public Media, with a board of trustees made up of New Jersey residents, to operate the station. It will partner with the Caucus Educational Corp., run by public TV broadcaster Steve Adubato Jr., a former Democratic state assemblyman and son of Newark political power broker Steve Adubato Sr., to produce New Jersey-focused public affairs programming for the new channel.

The governor argued that the deal will provide better public broadcasting programs for NJN’s channels and more New Jersey coverage. There will be nightly news programs, along with live Statehouse and Election Night coverage.

The state will keep the licenses, Christie said, which will give New Jersey leverage to make sure the stations comply with the terms of the contract.

WNET’s Neal Shapiro said the nightly news, called NJ Today, will be in mold of the PBS NewsHour. The program will have a new tone, with more government reporting.

The station will have to raise millions of dollars to accomplish its goals, Shapiro said.

“The money we raise in New Jersey will stay in New Jersey,” he added."

http://beta.courierpostonline.com/article/20110606/NEWS01/110606043/1006/Medford-student-teacher-fee-set-amid-protests/Christie-says-NJN-will-end--nonprofit-in-N.Y.-will-absorb-channel?odyssey=mod%7Cmostcom?odyssey=mod|mostcom?odyssey=mod|mostcom

Aside from moms with lil kids, who actually watches PBS? I dont even think they show Keeping up Appearances anymore which was the only show i actually watched semi-regularly on there and BBC america.

Actually PBS get better ratings than the CW(Ch.11 in NYC area) during prime time. Plus their newsshows "Newshour' and "Washington Week' are critically accalimed by many in the industry. Oh that right Foxie you may not like them, they too 'liberal'.

Still I do watch PBS on occasion for "Frontline" and specials like when Ken Burns has documentaries ranging from the landmark show "Civil War" to his "Baseball series.'

Back to topic. Personally hopefully Ch.13 will keep a high number of NJ-centric programming on the air with their takeover of the soon to be New Jersey Network TV channel.

Even with cable options now in NJ like News12 I am sure the NJN show are unmatched for more in depth NJ political news not found anywhere else on TV.

There was talks years ago about merging WLIW with PBS... given how similar their airings are, I don't understand why both still exist. I thought the merger was supposed to create one channel and abandon the other?

Is NJN even on cablevision? I don't think i have that channel.

As for PBS kids, smh at the kids that watches those shit. Sure the classics like Mr Rogers and stuff are dated, but at least they do the same thing the crap shows they have on do now.

Concourse WLIW/ch.21 merged with Ch.13 a couple of years back.

There was talks years ago about merging WLIW with PBS... given how similar their airings are, I don't understand why both still exist. I thought the merger was supposed to create one channel and abandon the other?

Is NJN even on cablevision? I don't think i have that channel.

As for PBS kids, smh at the kids that watches those shit. Sure the classics like Mr Rogers and stuff are dated, but at least they do the same thing the crap shows they have on do now.

I remember I used to watch NJN News (black cable box days lol), idk what happened though.

Did they always broadcast to NYC?

infamous NJN News (if you did not have cable i think it was Ch.50 in the NYC area and Ch.23 in South Jersey/Philly area)will be reformated to a NY1 type 'Inside City Hall' news program.

The two NJ Network channels are not going off the air. They just depending on what town you live in the garden state you live? For most of NJ, they now becoming Ch.13/WNET from NYC. For South Jersey they will see programs from the Philly area PBS station.

Archived