Question about the R40M

VIP

I have to agree, It would Have been Smarter to do that but the MTA didn't realize back then, but Like i told alot of railfans, those R42's won't last by next year Mark my words, By the The fall or winter you will see them get removed from revenue service, Unless they do something with them, they look like crap and now they are starting to run like crap.

I doubt they'll be removed,ENY needs them for service.as long as they run,they'll stay in service.if it wasn't for the (MTA) retiring the R44's on the (A) and Rock Pk (S),the R32 and R42 would've been gone.but the R44 went due to safety concerns,so the R32 and R42 stay in service untill the (MTA)

gets the R179 which will replace them.

honestly they should have ordered more 4-car set 160s to make ENY all 160s instead of the 40 R42s they are stuck with now. but they didn't think at the time they would have needed to have the (M) do Queens Blvd.
They should have made a supplemental order (like they did for the 142's). I would have like to have seen them get at least 24 more cars, to push it up to 9998. Then, they would only need a couple of old consists to be been kept as reserve fleet. A few 32's would replace the 42's.

Archived