Bi-Level Question

N-Trizzy2609

Sure is. But I would think NJT would want to avoid putting something like that out in service.

Considering they mixed Comet Vs with the Comet II/III/IV cars. I'd say the MLVs/Comet VIs will eventually be mixed with the single-level cars.

They can run in service like that MARC does it all the time...

As does the MBTA.

The (NJT) multilevel cars were designed specifically to be compatible with the current fleet of single level push/pull rolling stock. I am however unsure if the HEP and air pressure requirements would necessitate a second locomotive or not on longer consists, because the single levels have one set of lights, multilevels have 4 sets (top, bottom and 2 end).

- Andy

NJ Transit is really trying to keep the ML's in solid consist for the most part (i did see one sitting in between a IV and V in MMC), the comet V's ran in solid consist with only ALP-46's when they 1st came out also, but that didn't last long now did it!!??!?

when you think about it most trains ran in solid consists until the IIM(rebuilds) and V's where delivered, it wasn't until 2002-2003 rolled around that i started to see extremely mixed consist, the most i had ever seen before was III's and IV's together and IB's and I's together

NJ Transit is really trying to keep the ML's in solid consist for the most part (i did see one sitting in between a IV and V in MMC), the comet V's ran in solid consist with only ALP-46's when they 1st came out also, but that didn't last long now did it!!??!?

when you think about it most trains ran in solid consists until the IIM(rebuilds) and V's where delivered, it wasn't until 2002-2003 rolled around that i started to see extremely mixed consist, the most i had ever seen before was III's and IV's together and IB's and I's together

One time several years ago i saw a diesel at newark with a comet i ii iiiM iV and V in a 5 car consist. The V was a cab car. The iiiM was also a cab car but it was not at the end/front. Newark sees a lot of variety in its non :nec: consists i like it.

- Andy

One time several years ago i saw a diesel at newark with a comet i ii iiiM iV and V in a 5 car consist. The V was a cab car. The iiiM was also a cab car but it was not at the end/front. Newark sees a lot of variety in its non :nec: consists i like it.

- Andy

what's a IIIM?? are you sure your not referring to IIM's? IIM's are the rebuilt Comet II cars, which are all trailers...all cab cars where either scrapped or rebuilt into trailers? you may be referring to a comet III which will soon be rebuilt or scrapped (depending on weather NJT wants to buy additional ML's or not)

Also Comet I's RARELY ever appear on the Newark side, actually I don't think they are compatible with anything accept IB's

All trains on the :rvl: currently are made up of IIM's IV's and V's

Most of the III's are in solid consist on :njc: diesel trains while the rest linger around on trains out of NYP and Hoboken

I personally like the mixing of cars also....unfortunately the trains don't lol

Comet V's really are better off running in solid consist, it allows the trainline computer network to run alot smoother, with V's in a solid consist the LCD signs would be able to display multiple messages without malfunctioning such as [ DOVER] [EXP TO SUMMIT] [VIA MORRISTOWN], when Comet V's where 1st mixed with the other cars LCD messages where starting to look like this

[D*VER] [--%UTO SUM*%] [ VIA R--48UT] .....which is why all we see now is either a blank screen or [ NJ TRANSIT ] or just the destination [ DOVER ] which is fine, even though I personally liked the changing signs...in addition to the LCD problems, the Automated PA's were having problems, as well as the doors...the Comet V's were pretty much plagued with problems upon delivery...mixing them with other cars just made things worst...especially when there is more than one cab car in a consist thats when they really start to act up.....but NJ Transit seems have fixed those problems for the most part

what's a IIIM?? are you sure your not referring to IIM's? IIM's are the rebuilt Comet II cars, which are all trailers...all cab cars where either scrapped or rebuilt into trailers? you may be referring to a comet III which will soon be rebuilt or scrapped (depending on weather NJT wants to buy additional ML's or not)

Also Comet I's RARELY ever appear on the Newark side, actually I don't think they are compatible with anything accept IB's

It didn't look like it was in service. The lights were not on & the LCD signs were not on. I think it might have been moving them? The comet iiiM has the new LCD boxes for exterior information display and new interior LCD displays as well. They still have the narrow black stripe, however, the fake wood & center doors. I call them the iiiM, if there is an official "modified" comet iii i don't know, but they didn't used to have the LCD signs, plus a few little other changes such as the seat mounted ticket holders.

- Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I personally have not seen any mixed Multi-Level Consists on the NJCL yet. All the Multi-Level consists tend to have all multi-level cars. I doubt NJ Transit would have any need to mix the consists up with the exception being the single level cars for obvious reasons.

Eric

Hello Everyone,

I personally have not seen any mixed Multi-Level Consists on the NJCL yet. All the Multi-Level consists tend to have all multi-level cars. I doubt NJ Transit would have any need to mix the consists up with the exception being the single level cars for obvious reasons.

Eric

I recently suggested on the "riders platform" that quiet car service be offered by putting regular or modified comet v cars in the back of multilevel trains.

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

Eric

I hope not....but you can't really put anything pass (NJT)

Archived