NYCT Internship Questions

+Young+

Hi~

I am currently thinking of doing an internship for NYC Transit either during the Spring or Fall 2012 term. With that said, I have a few questions:

a) As I read on NYCT's website, all interns (either un-paid or paid) receive a free subway and bus pass. Does this pass allow the intern access to all of the yards, shops and depots throughout the 5 boros of NYC?

:P After I mentioned the internship to someone (whose name I am not mentioning), this person strongly suggested getting another full-time job, getting the necessary experience and then applying to NYC Transit. Any comments/thoughts?

c) I have viewed the Student Experiential Video on the MTA's website several times (click here if you don't know what I'm talking about). Is there anything else I should know that wasn't mentioned in the video?

Also, F.Y.I., I just graduated from Molloy College in May of 2011 with a Bachelors in Mathematics. In the fall of 2011, I will be attending PolyTechnic Institute of New York University for my masters degree in Transportation Planning and Engineering.

These are all the questions I have now, I may have more later.

Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your pass should be used to get you to and from your work location and into that work location only. It's not an employee pass and it dosent look like one.

I hope he doesnt even Think of using it for other than its intended for just to add to that..

He will find himself outside looking in pretty quick.

If he's issued a regular pass with pass number and picture he'll be able to access yards, barns and shops etc... He won't be able to park in those facilities unless he's issued a specific facility sticker. Depending on his job he might need access to many different types of facilities.

If he's issued a regular pass with pass number and picture he'll be able to access yards, barns and shops etc... He won't be able to park in those facilities unless he's issued a specific facility sticker. Depending on his job he might need access to many different types of facilities.

Intern passes are not the same as standard TA EPIC passes.

This thread reminded me of the intern program they used for MOW back in the early 90's. I remember installing panels at West 8th St around 1994 and working next to a young Indian dude I didn't recognize. He wasn't dressed like a Trackman. He had on a nice collared dress shirt and pants with a nice pair of shiny loafers(but was wearing a vest and blue helmet). He was real shaky working on structure and didn't seem to know what he was doing. He definitely stood out. I asked my buddy if he knew who he was. He told me he was an Intern. Back then they were hiring Superintendents for MOW off the street with no job training. They would have 6 weeks of OJT in each Dept(Track, Signal, Power Distribution). After they were finished with OJT they would become a Superintendent in one of those Dept's.

The feeling(on NYCTA's part)back then was the bosses and workers were too friendly with each other. By bringing in outsiders the T.A. figured they would get more work done and get more write ups if the guy in charge had no relationship with his/her underlings. It was a terrble idea. These Superintendents didnt know a thing about Track. Six weeks OJT wasn't enough to run a Zone or Sub Division. They weren't respected by anyone and were considered a joke. A lot of them came in barking all kinds of crazy orders and demanding all kinds of ridiculous changes.

Remember, Transit wanted to shake things up and thats what these guys tried to do. It didn't take long for the MSI's and MSII's to turn on them and start throwing them under the bus. These interns only had six weeks OJT and didnt understand the job. They would give orders to the MSI and MSII. The I's and II's would follow a lot of these orders knowing full well they were wrong . When the sh*t hit the fan the I's and II's would explain to the big bosses at Jay St they were just following orders from the Superintendant. Some of them got fired or they quit.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble or suggest all interns are like this.

Intern passes are not the same as standard TA EPIC passes.

If he gets a paid position, (College Aid), he might get a TA EPIC pass, while unpaid Interns receive the yellow one.

__

That said ---> you should still not be using it go anywhere that you aren't supposed to be unless you are an intern in a department which will have you working in yards, constructions sites, or otherwise restricted areas. It will read "College Aid" as your title. So follow the rules and you could get some good experience, but take foolish chances and you'll be gone for good.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I'm preferbally looking for an un-paid internship (even though any extra $$ won't hurt), therefore I'll probably get a yellow one, in which I'll not go into any yards/shops, however I will take advantage of the free subway/bus rides.

By the way, what's the difference between the Red & Blue passes? Can the people who have a blue pass still gain access to the unrestricted areas (yards, depots and shops)?

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I'm preferbally looking for an un-paid internship (even though any extra $$ won't hurt), therefore I'll probably get a yellow one, in which I'll not go into any yards/shops, however I will take advantage of the free subway/bus rides.

By the way, what's the difference between the Red & Blue passes? Can the people who have a blue pass still gain access to the unrestricted areas (yards, depots and shops)?

Red passes are men's, blue passes are women's.

Archived