Clarifying Medical Holds Due to High BP

Donald

So RTOman and cdi, are you saying that even if my blood pressure is PERFECTLY NORMAL I can be disqualified if I take blood pressure drugs? Now your making me nervous. I PMed a popular forum member here last night who went through the same ordeal in regards to his BP, and he said that taking BP meds is ok. He told me the dollowing (I'm witholding his name since it was a private conversation):

"As long as you tell them what medication you take and you are below 150/90,everything is fine.DO NOT for any reason STOP taking the medication.

DO NOT say that you have sleep apnea,drink or have headaches of any kind."

Did you read my frist reply?

The 1 in 3 used is used for promotionals and open competitive appts . No reason is needed to reject someone and if you can find where in that law it says a reason must be given I would love to see it . You seem to have that know it all attitude so why don't you prove what you say instead of talking a bunch of nonsense you are just talking out of your

Axx try backing up what you say . And aren't you the one that spread rumors about the promotional list being exhausted when it wasn't then admitted you made it up ??? Hmmm I would say that would damage your credibility try backing up what you say if you are gonna debate make sure you know what you are talking about .

Aside from using my noodle, ive also used the services of other reputable forums. You see, on a promotional exam you might get hit with the 1-3 rule for the reason I outlined above. On a O/C exam Transit might use it to advance the list quicker for a variety of reasons not noted in any lawbook, but there are REASONS. See the problem with you is you are too robotic, your brain doesn't evolve past the first few basic concepts of any subject.....forever. You might also be very vindictive, see about ten minutes later I told everyone I was kidding, I didnt let it live because it was indeed a joke.

Wow just wow..

Do the Words "Take them to Court" mean anything to you?

I'm not going to argue with you, but if you took offense to what I said then you must feel guilty of discouragement. Telling someone "Yup they dont need to hire another person with BP issues..

Its jacked up but thats how it goes."

and agreeing with the poster above you are not encouraging words to someone trying to get a job. I know I would not want to hear someone tell me that if I was trying to get hired and had BP issues. You guys could've just said TA may be more funny about hiring you because of a large amount of T/O's and C/R's with bp issues, and wished him well in his dealings with TA. But y'all made it seem hopeless on his part. Now this will be only response to this matter cause we don't need yet another thread shut down for bickering. A lot people may have similar concerns about BP when they get called by TA, so let's leave it open for the C/R hopefuls okay brother? .

I'm not going to argue with you, but if you took offense to what I said then you must feel guilty of discouragement. Telling someone "Yup they dont need to hire another person with BP issues..

Its jacked up but thats how it goes."

and agreeing with the poster above you are not encouraging words to someone trying to get a job. I know I would not want to hear someone tell me that if I was trying to get hired and had BP issues. You guys could've just said TA may be more funny about hiring you because of a large amount of T/O's and C/R's with bp issues, and wished him well in his dealings with TA. But y'all made it seem hopeless on his part. Now this will be only response to this matter cause we don't need yet another thread shut down for bickering. A lot people may have similar concerns about BP when they get called by TA, so let's leave it open for the C/R hopefuls okay brother? .

You misunderstand thats all im saying..

I cant take "offense" to what you or anybody say,You can disagree with my opinion of coruse i can repsect that.

You of all people should know how grimey these people we work for, i dont "tell people what they want to hear" I tell em what they got to hear.

Real Talk here man. We are Adults.

I got a letter saying so. :mad: The letter (in MTA stationery) reads: "You were considered and not selected for Appointment in in accordance with Rule 4.7.1 (C). of the Rules and Regulations of the New York City Personnel Director." This link, http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/resources/prr_rule4.shtml

explains what that rule is, namely the "1 in 3 rule."

The letter further says that my "ineligibility is only for [the MTA]. Therefore you can be recertified to [the MTA] only upon that agency's request."

Good luck and thanks to all for your responses so far.:(

"Therefore you can be recertified to [the MTA] only upon that agency's request." which means it can be appealed, contested...overturned.

I thought the 1 in 3 rule only applied to promotions? Oh man, you guys are making me even more nervous. Now when I go to Livingston St., my BP is going to be 190/120.

You'd better hope not, because then they would more likely call an ambulance for you to go the emergency room. But just relax and take whatever meds you need to take and drinks lots of water and you'll be fine.

I thought the 1 in 3 rule only applied to promotions? Oh man, you guys are making me even more nervous. Now when I go to Livingston St., my BP is going to be 190/120.

That is what most of us thought also, but Primo got one of those letters

not from the MTA but from another agency. Try not to eat for several hours

before your medical and drink a lot of water like Will said, good luck.

Primo got a 1 in 3 letter too? I did not see that, I just saw someone who was on the B/O list get one. He said that he declined when he first got the letter, but then went back to have his name restored to the list. Perhaps that had something to do with it?

I'm honestly so stressed out right now, I can't eat or watch any of my regular tv shows. I will be so relieved when (or if) I get my pass with my picture. Then I know the process is OVER and I just have to worry about finishing my probation.

I said it was from another agency, and not from the MTA, relax man.

Wrong the 1 in 3 rule is still in effect and they still use it. It's part of nys civil service law .

I myself was a victim of the 1 in 3 rule I was considered but not selected .

This was not for an mta job but the rule is the same . It applies to promotional and oc

Appointments

Oh yeah, I remember that post now. On some jobs they are more selective. I just had an interview with the NYC Law Dept. and I won't know for a month if I will be hired (of course, I won't care since the MTA is my priority). The Law Dept. can pretty much hire anyone they want regardless of your rank. They did not like me much since I did not have any relevant experience. The MTA on the other hand does not care about that (and if someone writes that they do care, I will have a stroke and go into a coma for the next 20 years... joking :(

You think its over after you get sworn in? When you get handed all the books you have to study you think its going to be all roses after that? When they give you some midterms and finals and have to prove yourself to the higher ups? Your in big trouble pal.

Bring them on! I love exams. I graduated college with a 4.0. I would have graduated high school with a 4.0 too had it not been for Spanish class, which I barely passed.

So does or doesn't the 1 in 3 rule apply to OPEN COMETITIVE MTA jobs? If it is in NY Civil Service law, then wouldn't all agencies use it? Just because the guy was a victim of 1 in 3 at another agency does not mean it does not happen at the MTA. We know that 1 in 3 is used by the MTA for promotions...

So does or doesn't the 1 in 3 rule apply to OPEN COMETITIVE MTA jobs? If it is in NY Civil Service law, then wouldn't all agencies use it? Just because the guy was a victim of 1 in 3 at another agency does not mean it does not happen at the MTA. We know that 1 in 3 is used by the MTA for promotions...

Have you been reading any of this stuff? It has happened before, even on O/C lists. I care to wager however, that it happens much more seldom. And I know for a fact people have taken them to court over it over the last couple of years. Wether or not they won their cases, I havent followed up on. Judgin by Transit's track record in court, they dont win very often. On another note, go on a strict diet starting tomorrow. Eat nothing but fruits and vegs and drink alot of water. Eat raw garlic, worked for me and my dad and we never took prescribed meds or any other drugs. Google garlic, infact google anything health related, most of thw time youll find better options than what your stupid doctor stuck inside the Matrix will tell you. You can lower your BP by several points in a matter of days if you are strict and want it that bad. Good luck honestly.

So I did some research on the 1 in 3 rule and found this great link:

http://www.osaunion.org/exam/main.html

It seems that the 1 in 3 rule mainly comes into play when there are only 1 or 2 job openings at an agency. But at the MTA, that is certainly not the case.

Also, it seems that the person on the 8006 who was dinged by the 1 in 3 rule may have been dinged because he originally declined employment when he got the pre employment letter in March. It seems that declining the letter can have major consequences:

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/pio/publications/summofcsl.pdf (page 18, bottom paragraph)

Perhaps he was dinged by the rule because they did not like his excuse for declining in March? In no way am I blaming the victim here, but I do find it VERY interesting that the only person dinged by the MTA (that we know of on the forums) turned down employment after receiving the original letter.

*shakes head*

OK...the 1 in 3 rule.

Here is the easiest way to explain this as to how it works for Transit:

Transit can reject any applicant off the list at any time provided there is a valid reason (and yes, criminal history can be used, driver's record, credit history, as can medical, as can something proven to be false on paperwork, etc.) - this is what comes with the territory in a SAFETY SENSITIVE title.

HOWEVER, of every 3 consecutive names on a list, Transit CANNOT reject 3 in a row for any of its arbitrary reasons. IN OTHER WORDS, they cannot reject 3 consecutive names for these reasons. Note: someone failing a drug test, or declining appointment to the position, or being AWOL on a pre-employment appointment without calling to reschedule or reinstate DOES NOT COUNT as a "1 in 3 rejection".

THAT SAID, Transit is aware of the likelihood of a lawsuit if they disqualify you for something questionable, so they are NOT going to do it unless they feel it compromises the safety of their customers, other employees, etc., or that you lied to them, and your character is therefore questionable...but they can.

Don't worry about it, there is nothing you can do, just go through the process, be friendly to everyone you meet during it (including the doctors no matter how much of quacks they are!) and tell the truth about everything. Anything else is out of your hands.

*shakes head*

OK...the 1 in 3 rule.

Here is the easiest way to explain this as to how it works for Transit:

Don't worry about it, there is nothing you can do, just go through the process, be friendly to everyone you meet during it (including the doctors no matter how much of quacks they are!) and tell the truth about everything. Anything else is out of your hands.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew it couldnt be a complete lottery style random process without reason (even if they give you some ludicrous reply on paper), that would be treading on some muddy waters. I do wonder, why even bother using such a tactic on an O/C exam when they should just simply disqualify a dicey character, or two or three in a row. Im almost entirely sure a Union had something to do with it.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew it couldnt be a complete lottery style random process without reason (even if they give you some ludicrous reply on paper), that would be treading on some muddy waters. I do wonder, why even bother using such a tactic on an O/C exam when they should just simply disqualify a dicey character, or two or three in a row. Im almost entirely sure a Union had something to do with it.

Has nothing to do with a union...this is all civil service law

Have you been reading any of this stuff? It has happened before, even on O/C lists. I care to wager however, that it happens much more seldom. And I know for a fact people have taken them to court over it over the last couple of years. Wether or not they won their cases, I havent followed up on. Judgin by Transit's track record in court, they dont win very often. On another note, go on a strict diet starting tomorrow. Eat nothing but fruits and vegs and drink alot of water. Eat raw garlic, worked for me and my dad and we never took prescribed meds or any other drugs. Google garlic, infact google anything health related, most of thw time youll find better options than what your stupid doctor stuck inside the Matrix will tell you. You can lower your BP by several points in a matter of days if you are strict and want it that bad. Good luck honestly.

That guy(roadtimes)who got that 1 in 3 letter I referred him to a law firm

that handles labor and employment issues with the city. Whether or not

he chooses to follow through I don't know.

He did create a panic by saying that 1/3 of the 8006 list will be DQ'D

solely on the 1 in 3 rule.:eek:

**Be careful what you say to the doctors, this guy going through the

medical for DSNY answered yes to a question about anxiety, he put down

that he was taking Xanax occasionally, he had passed the medical twice

before but they never reached his list number.

This time around he answered yes to a question on the form and that is

why he failed the medical, he spoke to 2 different lawyers who both said

that his chances were slim to none. Don't even tell them you snore.**

Archived