Why does the LIRR take so damn long? Why can't they make their trains faster with less stops?

lawnguysland

There is basicly no way to build a LGA line.

If you send it along the Van Wyck, up and around Citi Field, then you need to rebuild the entir highway, moreso the segment built above the Flushing Creek.

If you send it along the Grand Central Parkway, then it would have to be sky high to get around the dobule decked Flushing Structure. Or you'd need to make a God awful mess going under it.

The only real way to serve LGA, and i know a few people are going to sigh here, extend the (N). But that not going to happen so lets stay on topic. I have to deal with an hour + commuter on NJT when it only 35 mins to drive into Staten Island and 50 mins for like brooklyn. I don't complain even tho I know for sure, they can add more trains on both weekdays and weekends and raise the speed a lil on some parts of the NJCL. But I deal with it. It only is 35 min to Newark when I get an Express. Diesel express on NJT are acutally MUCH faster then electric ones.

But point proven, wether if it's NJT or LIRR if u live far enough ur just gunna have to sit there and go along with the ride. It's an hour plus from my station which just like Ronkonkama, slap in the middle of the line. So imagine people from Riverhead and Greenpoint who have to travel to NYC daily. I know from Point Pleasent Beach, NJ (The end of my line) it 2 hours and change to NY.

take a good look at the Van Wyck in that area, part of it is on a viaduct you cant stick a large elevated line on top of that without rebuilding the entire thing to make sure its structurally sound. Then when you get to the Whitestone Expressway interchange, those ramps would have to be reconfigured to fit the support columns of the thing between them.

You also speak of a redesign of LGA, that is another thing that will be costly and disruptive to the airport. LGA, especially the Delta part is a little dated but for the most part it works, and they have been updating it here and there.

Overall this plan will be costly and take years to complete, its probably cheaper just to add more buses to the Q44 and M60 routes if either are very busy.

alternate plan create a busway from Jamacia LIRR/airtrain to LGA on the highway while widening the highway the busway is part of the widening granting traffic immunity to buses from LGA to LIRR. allowing quick access from LI to LGA via transit rather than deal with LIE and Q44

alternate plan create a busway from Jamacia LIRR/airtrain to LGA on the highway while widening the highway the busway is part of the widening granting traffic immunity to buses from LGA to LIRR. allowing quick access from LI to LGA via transit rather than deal with LIE and Q44

You know this thread is about the LIRR...

Not a ridiculous airtrain extension.

Do you ever quit with the ideas?

Replace highways with transit and you're acting like Moses, and not the old testiment one.

NOPE not really I mean upgrade the highway by adding extra lanes 4 in each direction 2 of the 4 extras however are for the busway the other 2 cars and such but will act like an express lane for motorists going non stop to LGA and other points this speeds up travel by separating the traffic the long distance traffic from short distance. I'd never said replace highways with transit that is well overkill

Now, where is it written that everything needs to be connected to everything else in the quickest possible manner?

Like I keep saying, public transportation is all about compromises. We'd be better off building a shuttle from somewhere near woodside to LGA than anything else.

We'd be better off if the LIRR was able to expand it's row, then to ram a new line in.

interesting and impressive well played kamen rider nice post

@qttransit:

LGA Airtrain = Impossible!!! Too high and expensive to be built! It cannot operate past the Kew Gardens Interchange AND Roosevelt Ave./(7)<7> Line Bridge without building it epically high!

GCP [Grand Central Parkway] and VWE [Van Wyck Expressway] Busway = Impossible!!! The Highways cannot be widened, the Highways are congested enough, there is ZERO room for a busway!!! ZERO!!!

Only way is the (N) from Astoria as mentioned by N-Trizzy, which is out of the table because residents nearby simply DON'T WANT IT!!!

@OP:

As for the LIRR, it's good enough! They are not going to create trains for your specific needs, my 16 minute commute from Penn to Forest Hills [including a stop at Woodside] is good enough as a comparison to the Subway and Road. In fact the LIRR beats all of the transit options, it's the fastest and most efficient. I can pretty much be sure about the rest of the options as the LIRR to KO compared to the Interstate to KO. Few minutes doesn't differ considering that you are simply riding along, instead of being jammed on the LIE.

(N) is useless to LIRR riders buddy. IMPOSSIBLE NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!! If the highways get in disrepair it can be rebuilt and restructured to include a busway. busway from LIRR to LGA = only way to help LGA transit period forget it you can't see it can you won't drag this out any longer done. The highways are congested hence why a busway is needed along with widening. DOING NOTHING DOESN'T HELP!!!!!!!!!! besides the buses go off to flushing before using northern blvd to lga again you still haven't came up with a good reason. a busway is cheaper to build anyway. OR airtrain can go underground from jamacia to LGA how about that. nuff said drop it. doing nothing solves nothing

Archived