Why does the LIRR take so damn long? Why can't they make their trains faster with less stops?

lawnguysland

Yes obviously I was doing 75 mph on a very off hour to get there in 55. And I mean average 60 MPH. Ronkonkoma is 45 minutes from the Queens border and takes like 1 hour 5 minutes to get into Queens. 15-20 minutes down the toilet. Makes no sense. There is no way the LIRR Ronkonkoma line averages more than about 45 MPH.

Well of course you're going to beat the train then if you're driving at an illegal speed...

I don't feel sorry for you, just be glad you ride on a jazzed up modern railcar on a daily basis, even the M3s are not bad at all.

Anyways, with that being said, I always said that the LIRR Main Line should have four tracks to at least Hickville and two to KO, Don't even get me started on those diesel lines... so much potential, esp with Greenport & Montauk branches.

Also, why are you comparing a inner city rail service to the LIRR? Esp a electric branch, as they are not that long on the LIRR. I can see if you was talking about Montauk as NYC - Montauk is about the same distance as NYC - Philly.

I have a slimar commute time to you and I don't even leave Brooklyn!

@Nova 9147, not if hes going against a Amtrak NEC train.... Unless its the New Haven part, then yea, OP would win lol.

I don't feel sorry for you, just be glad you ride on a jazzed up modern railcar on a daily basis, even the M3s are not bad at all.

Anyways, with that being said, I always said that the LIRR Main Line should have four tracks to at least Hickville and two to KO, Don't even get me started on those diesel lines... so much potential, esp with Greenport & Montauk branches.

Also, why are you comparing a inner city rail service to the LIRR? Esp a electric branch, as they are not that long on the LIRR. I can see if you was talking about Montauk as NYC - Montauk is about the same distance as NYC - Philly.

I have a slimar commute time to you and I don't even leave Brooklyn!

@Nova 9147, not if hes going against a Amtrak NEC train.... Unless its the New Haven part, then yea, OP would win lol.

No way it takes me 55 minutes in rush hour...I mean if I drove from Sayville to the very beginning of Manhattan at an off hour like early morning on weekends. I drove from Sayville to 122nd street right on the outskirts of Harlem all the way uptown and made it in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Obviously these times only happen at the perfect hour, but I still made it in that time nonetheless. If I can drive to Harlem in about 1 hour and 10 minutes, why in the world does it take me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get 100 blocks closer?! It's a broken system. When driving can get you somewhere 20 minutes to a half hour quicker than by train there's a problem. I consistently drive to the Nassau border in 25 minutes and the Queens border in 45. Those aren't records, they're the norm. It makes sense too...people go fast on the LIE and Queens is about 40 miles from me, so averaging around 60 MPH which is easy for most of the way until I hit Nassau is very realistic and makes the 45 minute figure fairly normal.

Also, why can't we build a dedicated line to go 100 MPH? Other countries have high speed rails like it's nothing. And Ronkonkoma is not really far out. It's central Long Island. If you split the island right in half I live much closer to Queens (start of NYC) than Montauk.

You gonna cough up more than $1.4+million to get the job done?

No way it takes me 55 minutes in rush hour...I mean if I drove from Sayville to the very beginning of Manhattan at an off hour like early morning on weekends. I drove from Sayville to 122nd street right on the outskirts of Harlem all the way uptown and made it in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Obviously these times only happen at the perfect hour, but I still made it in that time nonetheless. If I can drive to Harlem in about 1 hour and 10 minutes, why in the world does it take me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get 100 blocks closer?! It's a broken system. When driving can get you somewhere 20 minutes to a half hour quicker than by train there's a problem. I consistently drive to the Nassau border in 25 minutes and the Queens border in 45. Those aren't records, they're the norm. It makes sense too...people go fast on the LIE and Queens is about 40 miles from me, so averaging around 60 MPH which is easy for most of the way until I hit Nassau is very realistic and makes the 45 minute figure fairly normal.

Also, why can't we build a dedicated line to go 100 MPH? Other countries have high speed rails like it's nothing. And Ronkonkoma is not really far out. It's central Long Island. If you split the island right in half I live much closer to Queens (start of NYC) than Montauk.

You gonna cough up more than $1.4+million to get the job done?

Its not running at full speed at all times, it has to slow down in Hicksville for Divide interlocking, then in Mineola, for Nassau interlocking, then near Jamaica it has to slow down to get through the tangle of tracks leading there. Then in Penn it has to slow down in the tunnel to find which track to arrive on.

What are the speed limits for LIRR junctions? I don't know much about the LIRR or MN. Rather as well add PATH and Amtrak to that. I don't find much interest in those systems.

Its not running at full speed at all times, it has to slow down in Hicksville for Divide interlocking, then in Mineola, for Nassau interlocking, then near Jamaica it has to slow down to get through the tangle of tracks leading there. Then in Penn it has to slow down in the tunnel to find which track to arrive on.

What are the speed limits for LIRR junctions? I don't know much about the LIRR or MN. Rather as well add PATH and Amtrak to that. I don't find much interest in those systems.

I can't cough it up obviously, but our infrastructure compared to other developed nations sucks. In France I was on a train that looked like a space ship from a new era compared with our trains. Granted, it may not have been a commuter train, but Amtrak sucks too. It's not that much faster. Why can't we simply INCREASE the average speed to 60 MPH. That can definitely be done and would cut many people's commutes by 20 minutes which is pretty damn significant. Can you explain something to me? How in the world can I drive from the Sayville area to Babylon in 25 minutes that much closer to Queens and have it be the SAME time as Ronkonkoma? Babylon is like 20 miles closer to Queens than Ronkonkoma, yet the time of travel is THE SAME! This is the stuff I'm talking about. To take any longer than 1 hour on the dot to get into Penn from Babylon is just a sin. That's almost in Nassau. Time to rip our garbage tracks up, and think of ways to speed up service a lot. I guarantee you people can generate ideas on how to do it. It's really just the money that's the issue. You have to start improving your country's major cities like NYC if you want to stay among the top on the world stage. Every European country I've been to has had much better train systems, faster, cleaner, more space, etc.

I can't cough it up obviously, but our infrastructure compared to other developed nations sucks. In France I was on a train that looked like a space ship from a new era compared with our trains. Granted, it may not have been a commuter train, but Amtrak sucks too. It's not that much faster. Why can't we simply INCREASE the average speed to 60 MPH. That can definitely be done and would cut many people's commutes by 20 minutes which is pretty damn significant. Can you explain something to me? How in the world can I drive from the Sayville area to Babylon in 25 minutes that much closer to Queens and have it be the SAME time as Ronkonkoma? Babylon is like 20 miles closer to Queens than Ronkonkoma, yet the time of travel is THE SAME! This is the stuff I'm talking about. To take any longer than 1 hour on the dot to get into Penn from Babylon is just a sin. That's almost in Nassau. Time to rip our garbage tracks up, and think of ways to speed up service a lot. I guarantee you people can generate ideas on how to do it. It's really just the money that's the issue. You have to start improving your country's major cities like NYC if you want to stay among the top on the world stage. Every European country I've been to has had much better train systems, faster, cleaner, more space, etc.

Well we know amtrak is GARBAGE. We know the only way is to silence the NIMBYs then stuff can get done make new High speed tracks that are elevated above normal ones and they will be the greenport ones the new tracks will be by the main line and allow reverse peak service without pissing off the NIMBYs as the tracks take up no space instead they are above way above. Tear up the tracks by eisenhower park replace with elevated line connecting ronkonkoma to hempstead line. This can be the great reroute of montauk trains adding new stops without slowing down service. Extend greenport line to providence RI after upgrade via tunnel or bridge.

Well we know amtrak is GARBAGE. We know the only way is to silence the NIMBYs then stuff can get done make new High speed tracks that are elevated above normal ones and they will be the greenport ones the new tracks will be by the main line and allow reverse peak service without pissing off the NIMBYs as the tracks take up no space instead they are above way above. Tear up the tracks by eisenhower park replace with elevated line connecting ronkonkoma to hempstead line. This can be the great reroute of montauk trains adding new stops without slowing down service. Extend greenport line to providence RI after upgrade via tunnel or bridge.

Say what you want about Europe, but it's not just talk. I've BEEN there and actually BEEN on their trains. It really was like looking into the future. We are the U.S. we are supposed to be leading the WORLD in technology and mass transit in our main cities. We are losing. Terribly. If NYC was in Japan and I lived about 40 miles away in the suburbs it would probably take me a half hour using their trains instead of the 1 hour 5 minutes or whatever. 40 miles is NOT far for a mass transit system...I should be in Penn Station in less than the time it takes to get to Jamaica. It makes no sense. You guys keep talking about all the old tracks and restrictions and crap...well guess what? We can update it. We put a man on the moon but you tell me it's impossible for the LIRR to average only 60 MPH when most cars on the LIE are doing 75 MPH avg while drinking coffee? Wow. Such low standards. The monorail in Disney World could get me into Queens faster than the LIRR.

Say what you want about Europe, but it's not just talk. I've BEEN there and actually BEEN on their trains. It really was like looking into the future. We are the U.S. we are supposed to be leading the WORLD in technology and mass transit in our main cities. We are losing. Terribly. If NYC was in Japan and I lived about 40 miles away in the suburbs it would probably take me a half hour using their trains instead of the 1 hour 5 minutes or whatever. 40 miles is NOT far for a mass transit system...I should be in Penn Station in less than the time it takes to get to Jamaica. It makes no sense. You guys keep talking about all the old tracks and restrictions and crap...well guess what? We can update it. We put a man on the moon but you tell me it's impossible for the LIRR to average only 60 MPH when most cars on the LIE are doing 75 MPH avg while drinking coffee? Wow. Such low standards. The monorail in Disney World could get me into Queens faster than the LIRR.

European countries gives tons of funds just for the railroads. The United States has most of its transportation funds dedicated to highways and roads, not railroads. Until railroads can get big money, they, and the LIRR, won't be able to "update" as much they want to. When the U.S. landed man on the moon, it was becuaese they dedicated money for it. Also, it was the President's goal of reaching the moon, so it was very top priority. Oh, and BTW, the Disney World monorail has a maximum speed of 55 mph, so LIRR would still be faster.

European countries gives tons of funds just for the railroads. The United States has most of its transportation funds dedicated to highways and roads, not railroads. Until railroads can get big money, they, and the LIRR, won't be able to "update" as much they want to. When the U.S. landed man on the moon, it was becuaese they dedicated money for it. Also, it was the President's goal of reaching the moon, so it was very top priority. Oh, and BTW, the Disney World monorail has a maximum speed of 55 mph, so LIRR would still be faster.

the WDW monorail doesnt go that fast normally, it goes about 45mph in straightaways. Ive been in the cab when they still allowed people to ride with the operator there.

See? The monorail really could get you into NYC from LI in half the time the LIRR does! How pathetic. Why there haven't even been IDEAS thrown around about some kind of monorail system from like Ronkonkoma to Manhattan are beyond me. Why can't you have a monorail system right above the LIRR tracks except serve only as an express making 1 stop in Suffolk, 1 in Nassau and 1 in Manhattan? Other than just money tell me why.

The Disney/Bombardier Mk6 trains are designed to reach 100 MPH. They don't because then the trip would last, like 10 seconds and you wouldn't be able to enjoy the view. the monorail "sets the scene" as you approach the park stations and you start to see the buildings in the distance. Kinda of hard to set a scene when your zooming along.

The "Show" is very important to the disney park people. You get a good grasp of that when you're sworn to keep a cast memeber's real name a secret.

Those monorails these days wont make it that fast, the MAPO system (similar to CBTC) speed governs them to about 45-50mph at the most. They recently had to cut late evening service back because the trains and the track system are getting worn out.

See? The monorail really could get you into NYC from LI in half the time the LIRR does! How pathetic. Why there haven't even been IDEAS thrown around about some kind of monorail system from like Ronkonkoma to Manhattan are beyond me. Why can't you have a monorail system right above the LIRR tracks except serve only as an express making 1 stop in Suffolk, 1 in Nassau and 1 in Manhattan? Other than just money tell me why.

it would be a waste, where you gunna put that single nassau stop? Hicksville, Mineola? wheres the suffolk stop gunna be? The current system is fine, they just need a few grade crossings removed in western nassau and they would be able to run a bit faster. But theres a reason some places dont have too many expresses, and that is demand, the parts that do like those 3 stop express clusters on the babylon branch is becasue the trains fill up fast in the mornings and evenings, so they need to run more trains, meanwhile the Long Beach and Hempstead branches make every single stop on all trains, and plus Ronkonkoma is only a busy stop because people drive west from Medford and beyond, not becasue the area is filled with a lot of mass transit riders, which Suffolk isnt because its very far out and theres a lot of businesses in Suffolk County in places like Melville, Islandia, Brookhaven, etc.

Lawnguyland; first off, the european High speed trains run on completly seperate systems from all other rail traffic. Their lines are resered for those trains only. As I'm sure you're well aware, the LIRR system doesn't work that way.

Indeed. I'm Dutch and I can tell you that those high-speed lines are overrated. First off, it's not that it runs on a seperate system, that differs per country. Yes, in Germany for example that is the case, but here in The Netherlands those high-speed trains are stuck behind the commuter trains. So technically you're right, only that it differs per country as to being seperated or not.

LIRR is a commuter rail-system. I can tell you out of experience with commuter rail here that the LIRR is on par with European commuter rail and at some points it exceeds it (like with a better website, more information given, LED-displays on all stations even the smallest ones and compared to <2010-trains here the M7's are way better).

I even looked it up and that same 50 miles from Penn to Ronkonkoma is about 57 minutes by car in The Netherlands (I compared the distance). So that's about the same.

By train that same distance is about 1 hour and 43 minutes. It does include 1 transfer, but that is only 5 minutes, so that would still make the average travel time 1 hour and 37 minutes. Also note: the train before the transfer is semi-express.

And yet The Netherlands has the tightest rail system of Europe so that says a lot. Apperantly, the LIRR is even faster than from Penn to Ronkonkoma.

Every European country I've been to has had much better train systems, faster, cleaner, more space, etc.

Facking hell. This made me ROFL so hard. You know HOW MUCH I want to live in NY? Come here, The Netherlands, and you'll see how bad the train system is here. There are massive delays every day, newer trains have no toilets (although they indeed have more space, bravo, you made 1 point) and they are not kept that clean as the Dutch Railways are cutting jobs the last couple of months in the cleaning-sector.

And Germany, I don't like the trains themselves. It just don't cut it. But the system is fine.

The only train system I do like in Europe is the Belgian-one, but then again, not comparable to LIRR.

@Kamen Rider: I tend to argue with you on the safety point. Every person I talked to here from the Dutch Railways (yes, we have a board too where also employees are allowed to talk) and everyone tended to agree that European trains (the >200-built ones) are safe then the NY-ones.

So I'm not really sure who's right there. It's not that I don't believe you and I actually don't even care for those standards as I and only I decide what I find safe, but it still is worth the argument so I can share this with those employees (I'm not an employee myself btw).

Archived