Long Island Bus #1664 Hits School Bus in Cedarhurst

R188 7857

WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Around 1:30pm I saw 1664 being towed

,it passed right by me and I didn't notice any

damages wow.:eek:

That's the 2nd 400 series that has been in an accident.

1699(ex 462) was in an accident and it was repaired.

Wait a minute, it passed by me too! On Columbus day, I took a Long Island Bus trip and at the time, I was on the N6 to Jamaica and I see the bus being towed, heading the opposite direction. I recorded the trip so you'll see it on Youtube as soon as I uncorrupt my video files.

WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Wait a minute, it passed by me too! On Columbus day, I took a Long Island Bus trip and at the time, I was on the N6 to Jamaica and I see the bus being towed, heading the opposite direction. I recorded the trip so you'll see it on Youtube as soon as I uncorrupt my video files.

From the looks of the crash, I think the bus was going at a fast speed and hit the school bus and swanged it to the left.

Looks are deceiving, because of bus design and material, you could split a bus in half at a very low speed.

another crash... MTA is really letting LIB fail at it's final months

Though often I comment against MTA, they are not letting anything fail per se. How is MTA responsable for crash?

Anybody notice that the school bus came out of Locust Ave through a stop sign? There are several scenarios that I can think of here, including the schoool bus driver going through the stop sign without stopping and looking. Why is assumed the MTA LIB B/O is at fault?

From the looks of the crash, I think the bus was going at a fast speed and hit the school bus and swanged it to the left.

Looks are deceiving, because of bus design and material, you could split a bus in half at a very low speed.

another crash... MTA is really letting LIB fail at it's final months

Though often I comment against MTA, they are not letting anything fail per se. How is MTA responsable for crash?

Anybody notice that the school bus came out of Locust Ave through a stop sign? There are several scenarios that I can think of here, including the schoool bus driver going through the stop sign without stopping and looking. Why is assumed the MTA LIB B/O is at fault?

The guy that rammed 1808 near Hofstra is a good example of how fragile these Orions are. He hit the thing at 70 MPH and almost tipped it over, and managed to rip a van-sized hole of the right side of the bus. I doubt they built the NG HEVs any different.

How is MTA responsable for crash?

They do this with every bus story that involves an (MTA) bus. It's just that there hasn't been an accident with a bus in revenue service on LI in years.

The guy that rammed 1808 near Hofstra is a good example of how fragile these Orions are. He hit the thing at 70 MPH and almost tipped it over, and managed to rip a van-sized hole of the right side of the bus. I doubt they built the NG HEVs any different.

They do this with every bus story that involves an (MTA) bus. It's just that there hasn't been an accident with a bus in revenue service on LI in years.

You mean 1804, right?

It's like LIB is busting up the buses on purpose now...1664 in better days...

LIB_Orion_1664.jpg

dsc04049resized.jpg

Nice! :tup:

You mean 1804, right?

Oh, I did. I always thought 1808 was nailed first and then I remembered they went down in number order (1804 first).

1664 is a Rockville Centre bus, but I think MF has a lot more spare Orions to go around... and they've already started retiring some of the Orion Vs from 2000, maybe they'll use those to repair it.

I don't know about this, but if Veolia is taking LIB's current buses, then this is what I have a feeling would happen :

Since these are the last months of LIB, I think they are going to leave the bus in the yard and let Veolia handle this...lol.

WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

LIB #437 (now 1674) was involved in an accident a few years ago in Long Beach. That was repaired too.

Joe

Yikes! I hope the B/O is okay. I'm sure the kids are physically fine, since those school buses are built like tanks. Not surprised the '05 got most of the damage, especially since the front corners have so much sensitive material, like lights and the luminator. Even a low speed impact into the side of a school bus can cause a lot of damage to a weaker vehicle (i.e. anything but another school bus).

Archived