What is your least favorite Station?

VWM

Let's hope the pissy smell of the elevator is fixed before the (Q) comes to lex/ 63 because it is unbearable in there.

that's the reason why I don't take subway elevators to begin with lol

i absolutely hate the fact how that station is like 300 feet underground..coming out of that station is like scaling a mountain i swear..I'd rather wait for the E to come and deal with the 6 instead thank you very much lol

To the person who asked that question:

You DO realize that the Park Place station on the current #2 and #3 lines was built and in operation WELL BEFORE the IND subway station at Chambers Street?

The original 1904 IRT subway had a direct pathway to and from City Hall, in a kind of "S" pattern across Manhattan from the Westside to the Eastside. With the creation of the "H" style arrangement of the IRT lines in Manhattan, the then new westside lines lost their direct path to the City Hall area. The Park Place station with its original entrance directly across from City Hall Park was the replacement, as well as the then new pathway for trains bound to and from Brooklyn. All of this was in operation 10-20 years BEFORE the IND subways were built and operating.

Some of these complaints in this particular section seem to come from folks who simply have no understanding of transit history, the history of the city or some idea of geography.

For example - why are there long passageways between Sixth and Seventh and Eighth Avenue? Answer - city blocks in Manhattan are generally 800 feet long and 200 feet in depth as specified in the 1811 Street Grid plan - which gave Manhattan its distinctive street grid arrangement. The city blocks were THERE well BEFORE the subways. Some questions answer themselves.

Stepping off soapbox.

Mike

I totally agree with you. That station is amazing! It has the retro feel to it. I need to get some videos at that station!
The last time I went there was last year, and I took pics of the station. I should go back there and see if anything changed. :P

168t street on the (1). Why on earth must I ride a Elevator to Transfer or even get out of the station:(
There are 2 or 3 elevators at W. 181 St as well. I remember one day, during rush hours, there were a lot of passengers waiting in a line to exit the station. The elevators were really packed, and it took me 10 minutes to exit. :tdown::tdown:

The last time I went there was last year, and I took pics of the station. I should go back there and see if anything changed. :P

There are 2 or 3 elevators at W. 181 St as well. I remember one day, during rush hours, there were a lot of passengers waiting in a line to exit the station. The elevators were really packed, and it took me 10 minutes to exit. :tdown::tdown:

I was there recently and the Chamber street station is slightly cleaner.

Here are mine

Union Tpke (E)(F)

Ah someone beat me to Union Turnpike! When I was attending St. John's University, my friends and I would take the Q46 to Kew Gardens to connect to the (E)(F) to get to Manhattan. That entire first year, there was some ridiculous construction going on, not to mention the split mezzanine because of the Turnpike going under Queens Blvd. I cannot tell you how many times we got out at the wrong exit, ending up on the other side of Union Turnpike. Plus, it smelled horrible there.

I'd also agree with everyone else who has said the 8 Av connection to the rest of the Times Square complex. Sure, I haven't been there in almost five years, but from what I'm reading, it still sounds like that trek is still pissing people off, and it's still 20 degrees warmer than everywhere else.

-A :cool:

Guest lance25
As for me, the station I hate, is the Atlantic Ave (Eastern Pkwy line). When I'm transferring from a train to get the (2) or (5) I hate having to run downstairs to get the the oncoming train as oppose to just walking across the platform. Why couldn't they have just made Nevins Street with the 3 platforms & make Atlantic with the 2 platforms?! :mad:

And I dont even know why the Park Place (2)(3) station is even in existence? you have a transfer to the eighth ave express (A) & local (C) at fulton st & can catch the (E) at 42 Street. not to mention the fact that Chambers Street is literary around the corner. my opinion, eliminate park place & make a transfer between chambers st 7 ave & chambers st 8 ave, (which are a short block away from each other) so the (1)(2)(3)(A)(C) & (E) can all get a transfer to each other.

To your first point, Atlantic Av isn't supposed to be an express-local transfer point. Just like 34 St-Penn Station on the 7th and 8th Avenue lines, Atlantic Av (Eastern Pkwy) exists as a rail-to-subway connection. Riders looking for transfers between the express and local trains are supposed to transfer at Nevins St or 42 St-Times Sq/Port Authority.

As for your second point, Mike pretty much sums up why Park Place is still open today. Continuing his point, however, there's also the fact that both Chambers St (7th Ave) and Park Place are pretty busy stations, the first being a transfer point between the (1) and (2)/(3) and the latter being both the only connection to the (E) line in lower Manhattan as well as PATH trains and the World Trade Center.

• 2 weeks later...
To your first point, Atlantic Av isn't supposed to be an express-local transfer point. Just like 34 St-Penn Station on the 7th and 8th Avenue lines, Atlantic Av (Eastern Pkwy) exists as a rail-to-subway connection. Riders looking for transfers between the express and local trains are supposed to transfer at Nevins St or 42 St-Times Sq/Port Authority.

As for your second point, Mike pretty much sums up why Park Place is still open today. Continuing his point, however, there's also the fact that both Chambers St (7th Ave) and Park Place are pretty busy stations, the first being a transfer point between the (1) and (2)/(3) and the latter being both the only connection to the (E) line in lower Manhattan as well as PATH trains and the World Trade Center.

In regards to Atlantic Ave, Im going southbound, so Nevins St is out of the question. When I'm coming from the BMT I want to know if I should take a (2) or (5) without having to run like a crazy person through the underpass.

Like a Franklin Ave, I can quickly see if a (2) is approaching or (5) is, just by walking across the island platform.

Now in regards to Mike's comment about Park Pl, this was before all platforms were lengthened. Today, Park Pl is at Park Pl & Church St & West Broadway, Chambers St is on West broadway, only 3 blocks north & short ones.

And like I said before, just make a transfer at both Chambers Sts, you have a transfer between 6 lines & PATH. And why do you need a transfer to the (E) in lower Manhattan anyway? You have a transfer to the express (A) & local (C) (which serves the same stops as the (E) till 50 St and if you need 53 St or Queens just transfer at 42 Street).

Guest lance25

1) If you're transferring to the IRT lines at Atlantic Av, it really doesn't matter which train you take. Both the locals and expresses take about the same amount of time to get from Atlantic Av to Franklin Av.

2) It doesn't matter if Fulton St also has a transfer to the (A) and (C) lines as well as Park Place. That fact doesn't warrant the closure of the latter station. Park Place still is a busy station and will be an even busier one when One World Trade opens mid-decade.

As to making a transfer between both Chambers Sts, those stations aren't connected to each other for starters. Either you'd have to create an out-of-system transfer between the two stations or the (MTA) would have to build an in-system transfer, which has fewer benefits than just leaving things the way they are. Then there's the issue of PATH. Yes, there are quite a few connections to PATH, but the only one for the WTC-HOB & WTC-NWK lines is at Park Place.

I think city hall is pretty decrepit looking.

But most stations on the G line just suck. The people that ride the trains at all the yuppy stations are seriously retarded. MTA should come up with announcements specialized for these people with special needs since they cannot figure out how to get onto a train.

I hate working the G line.

I think city hall is pretty decrepit looking.

But most stations on the G line just suck. The people that ride the trains at all the yuppy stations are seriously retarded. MTA should come up with announcements specialized for these people with special needs since they cannot figure out how to get onto a train.

I hate working the G line.

Umm.. i don't know a lot about the (G) other than it's sucky....

but i don't know if you should rip on the special pplz.. u get karma:eek:

I think Forest Hills 71 Av (E)(F)(M)(R) is always warmer than other stations.

I hate having to transfer from the (E) to the (F) there. It's always nastily hot and I am not really a fan of green colored subway stations. When they get dirty, they get NASTY.

And not that Roosevelt Island is my least favorite stop, but... man, is there a ton of stairs there. It's also excessively warm and on weekends it takes forever for and (F) to show up.

Fulton Street (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(J)(Z)

Once you get all the way down the the AC platform, it's 5000 degrees and if you're on the Brooklyn-bound side you won't fit on the platform so you won't have time to spin around and see the train that hits you.

(Don't know who bashed W4 here, that, Church-Av on the Brighton and Inwood 207 are easily my favorite stations in the system).

Dude, how did you get that signature avatar of the (6)?

Archived