What is your least favorite Station?

VWM

Main St-Flushing on the (7)<7>. Between the overcrowding, the busted elevators and escalators, the filth, and the precious few exits that have to handle throngs and throngs of people transferring from subway to bus at what is the busiest subway-bus transfer, it's a commuter's nightmare.

A close second, would have to be Lex/53rd on the (E)(M) and (6) lines for the sheer overcrowding. (Dis-)honorable mention would have to go to Chambers St on the (J)(Z) for just how decrepit and rat-infested that station is. In fact, station is too nice of a word for Chambers. It's a dungeon.

Bowery on the (J)/(Z). The fact that the platform's virtually empty most of the time doesn't help.

Times Square - 42nd Street, especially during rush hour. Way too many tourists who don't know where they're going.

Why is everyone saying Chamber Street (J)(Z)? It is such a cool station in my opinion.

It makes me puke just looking at the station in photos...Ugh.

I just don't understand why some people are saying Main St...You don't understand the population in Flushing..Creating more damn exits would cause more NIMBY'ism...Its stupid, otherwise its is rare for a escalator to be busted...Trust me I've been there more than any one of you....

-Union Sq (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)(R)

-Whitehall St (R)

-Court St (R)

-Pacific St (D)(N)(R)

-Essex St (J)(Z)(M)

-Broad Channel (A)(H)

-Fulton St (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(J)(Z)

It makes me puke just looking at the station in photos...Ugh.

I just don't understand why some people are saying Main St...You don't understand the population in Flushing..Creating more damn exits would cause more NIMBY'ism...Its stupid, otherwise its is rare for a escalator to be busted...Trust me I've been there more than any one of you....

You gotta remember, that station got a real long history, and basically fell to the bottom of the (MTA)s list of stations that need to be redone (although it was painted a few years back)

As for the 2nd bolded part, its not rare, its actually more common than what you think. The escalators at Herald Sq are broken almost every day

The Bronx station at 149th Street-Third Avenue was built AFTER the Third Avenue EL was built, and was built as a subway connection for the Westchester Avenue elevated line to reach Manhattan via the newly built original IRT subway in 1904. Third Avenue El trains regularly traveled along the Westchester Avenue elevated, while a little while later time - IRT subway trains started to travel along the route via the subway Third Avenue station to reach Manhattan's Lenox Avenue line, and a little later the Lexington Avenue line.

The 149th Street-Third Avenue area of the Bronx, WAS the major business district of the Bronx (yes - well before Fordham Road!), with several large department stores (Hearns, Alexanders, etc), several office buildings, etc. Hostos College and Lincoln Hospital did not exist at their current locations near the Grand Concourse until at the earliest the 1970's or 1980's. The Bronx Court House existed along Third Avenue with the el running past it, until the major complex was built at its current location not far from Yankee Station.

The 149th Street-Third Avenue station was built at the hub of the business district has it then existed in the lower part of the Bronx. This station originally had a subway to elevated line transfer passageway that included an escalator to the 149th Street-Third Avenue elevated station that existed until the 1970's. This transfer passageway also allowed riders to pass between the Manhattan bound and upper Bronx bound platforms of the subway station. This station also was the passenger switch point between trains that would run rush hour peak direction express trains to the West 180th Street-Bronx Park terminal, or the East 180th Street-Morris Avenue station, while other trains were local. Some of the remains of the columns and structure for the Third Avenue El line - still remain today, and can be seen as the #2 and #5 exit the Third Avenue station and become elevated.

As should be well known, the MTA demolished the remaining Bronx portion of the Third Avenue El in the 1970's, replacing the line with the Bx-55 bus - providing at the time the only bus to subway transfer in the Bronx. As should be well known the MTA in the 1970's-80's has also closed many of the passageways between the uptown and downtown platforms of many local stations. The passageway that used to exist between the uptown and downtown platforms at 149th Street-Third Avenue was closed. Needless to say the creation of the "South Bronx" with all of its problems, the city's fiscal crisis - all have had an impact upon what we see and use today.

The renovation of this subway station removed all vestiges of its previous history. Now whether one likes the current station or not - knowing the history of the area, the history of the subways, and understanding what went on before is very helpful.

Mike

Times Square 7th-8th Avenue "transfer" corridor

...doesn't bother me anymore; gotten used to it since I've been doin more NJT fans as of late.... I can walk that sucker in 2 mins. flat, with the crowd.... haven't bumped into anyone once either....

here's a station i'm surprised no ones said yet..

West 4th Street (;)(D)(F)(M)

what an eyesore...

it's boiling down there too

I get off at west 4th sometimes in the mornings.... it sure isn't the best, but IMO, there are worse stations than west 4th itself....

Times Square Shuttle station. I have always hated having to guess which train was the next one to go out to Grand Central - It isn't always the train you expect or is indicated. Also, I hate the steel platform between the platforms.

Although not in the subway system, I've also always hated the PATH Christopher St station...especially during rush hours. Narrow stairways make it a bear to get in or out at times.

For those of you who hate the (J)(Z) Chambers Street station. OK, I admit it's disgusting, the stairs suck, and it is in dire need of a makeover. BUT, it is still one of the few stations I go through which still has the feel of the subway of 50 or more years ago. There is a certain air about it (ok, a bad smelly air, maybe), that speaks of a bygone day. And, as I've always said, it would be the perfect set for a horror or slasher movie.

...doesn't bother me anymore; gotten used to it since I've been doin more NJT fans as of late.... I can walk that sucker in 2 mins. flat, with the crowd.... haven't bumped into anyone once either....

Just have to point this out...

On 42nd Street, Broadway and 8th Avenue are 0.2 miles apart. Saying that you can walk one fifth of a mile in two minutes flat means that you'd need to be walking at a speed of 10mph.

42 St-8 Ave becasue of the annoyingly long transfer corridor

same reason for union square from the (L), and 6 Ave (L) to get to the (1)(2)(3).

This is because, the actual street is very long. the avenues have long stretches. so this cant be helped, i personally think this is a bad reason to hate a station.

Times Square....too crowded and always seems to be 20 degrees warmer

then outside.

yes Times Sq is the busiest station in the system, so that cant be helped either. for the heat, yes you can blame the MTA, we're living in 2011 in America, not in the early 1900's in some 3rd world country. I have this same problem at union sq (lex) but not at Grand Central, they have great fans there!

Chambers Street (J)(Z) The most disgusting subway station in all of NYC. Need I say more?

168t street on the (1) Why on earth must I ride a Elevator to Transfer or even get out of the station

Now these are legitimate reasons to hate stations.

As for me, the station I hate, is the Atlantic Ave (Eastern Pkwy line). When I'm transferring from a train to get the (2) or (5) I hate having to run downstairs to get the the oncoming train as oppose to just walking across the platform. Why couldn't they have just made Nevins Street with the 3 platforms & make Atlantic with the 2 platforms?! :mad:

And I dont even know why the Park Place (2)(3) station is even in existence? you have a transfer to the eighth ave express (A) & local (C) at fulton st & can catch the (E) at 42 Street. not to mention the fact that Chambers Street is literary around the corner. my opinion, eliminate park place & make a transfer between chambers st 7 ave & chambers st 8 ave, (which are a short block away from each other) so the (1)(2)(3)(A)(C) & (E) can all get a transfer to each other.

Archived