Subway - What If?

VWM

This should be interesting (it assumes trains can terminate at, but can NOT go past these stations):

(B) and (D) both operate local between 205th Street and 161st-Yankee Stadium at all times in the Bronx, with the (B) operating 24/7 while this is going on.

(2), (4) and (5) have shuttle trains in the Bronx between their respective terminals and 149th Street at all times.

Shuttle bus operates between 161st-Yankee Stadium and the 3rd Avenue (6) station.

Additional shuttle bus service between the Woodlawn and Moshulu Parkway (4) and 242nd Street-Van Cortlandt Park (1) station.

Some (1) trains run peak-direction express between 242nd-Van Cortlandt Park and Dyckman Street AND between 145th and 96th Street in Manhattan.

(J) and (Z) are extended to Prospect Park or Brighton Beach, Brooklyn via the Montauge tunnel and the Brighton line.

(2) in Brooklyn runs between Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush Avenue.

(3) runs in two sections:

148th Street-Lenox Terminal to Wall Street, Manhattan

Atlantic Avenue-New Lots Avenue, Brooklyn

Transfer to (J) or (Z) at Atlantic Avenue or Fulton Street to transfer between the two (3) trains.

(6) is extended to Borough Hall, Brooklyn and is the only Lexington Avenue line operating in Manhattan. For Atlantic Avenue, transfer to Nassau Street line trains at Canal Street, Brooklyn Bridge-Chambers Street or Fulton Street in Manhattan or Borough Hall-Court Street OR to shuttle bus noted below.

Shuttle bus operates between Borough Hall and Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn stopping at Hoyt and Nevins Street stations.

Franklin Avenue (S) is split as follows:

Single two-car, 150' train between Botanic Garden and Franklin Avenue on the Franklin Avenue-bound track.

Five-car, 300' trains between Botanic Garden (Prospect Park-bound track) and Coney Island.

My Reaction

pokerfaceV.jpg\

(this was drawn by me)

Edited by VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why the MTA doesn't do the (J) shuttle from Essex Street to Prospect Park anymore

It delayed the (J) , and that meant in scheduled (R) trains changing to the express tracks south of Prince Street, and going over the bridge

I don't remember it delaying the (J)that much, yet it was more of a delay having to direct all those people at Chambers in what became a dead end, with no way to go past there anymore.

I wondered what in the world was their rationale for doing away with the shuttle, but they could always just relay at Chambers (like the old bankers' specials), and it wouldn't affect the regular (J) at all, because that uses the middle tracks.

Trains can't terminate at Wall Street, there are no switches on those tracks until 14 Street, they would have to go single-tracked a LONG way, causing extreme delays.

It was previously posted in this thread (not by me) that there are crossover tracks NOT pictured at Wall Street in the diagram, and that was why I had used that for a terminal in these scenarios. Obviously, whoever posted that was WRONG if what you say is the case, and if so, I then would have it where the (3) follows the (1) to South Ferry with some trains using the loop with passengers allowed to stay on through the loop and before that repeated announcements that Rector would be the last stop on such trains to keep down time to as little as possible.

As for using the (J) / (Z) and other lines (and splitting the Franklin Avenue Shuttle), it's all about trying to keep everything else moving as smoothly as possible and trying to keep crowding at any one station down to a minimum and making it so people can as easily as possible have options where they are NOT crush-loaded, especially with the Lexington line down to one train ( (6) ) in this case. The peak express (1) trains in this case are designed to get people from Woodlawn (via a shuttle bus to the (1) ) off the (B) and (D) and keep 161st-Yankee Stadium use to as little as possible because that is going to be a major transfer point between that and the (4) in this case as well as the (B) and (D) being potentially crush-loaded.

I'm trying to maximize use of everything as much as possible and equally distribute disrupted passengers as much as possible.

Edited by Wallyhorse

NEXT

The express tracks are impassable at 23 St on the 6 and 7 Av lines. Also impassable is the connection from the 60 St tunnel to Queens Plaza, in both directions.

Affected: 2/3/B/D/R, and anything else that's necessary

(2) runs on local tracks 34th-Chambers Street

Select (2) trains are re-routed to New Lots Avenue as needed

(3) runs between 148th Street-Lenox Terminal and 34th Street-Penn Station ONLY

(4) is extended in Brooklyn to New Lots Avenue

(5) runs all times (as needed outside of normal hours) to Flatbush Avenue.

(B) runs West 4th Street-Brighton Beach ONLY ( (B) can use tracks in the express tunnel to cross over)

(D) service is split between 6th and 8th Avenue between 59th Street-Columbus Circle and West 4th Street, running local in all instances ( (D) trains alternate running on 6th or 8th Avenue)

(R) runs via 63rd Street tunnel, skipping Queens Plaza and stopping at 21st-Queensbridge in Queens and Roosevelt Island and 63rd Street-Lexington Avenue in Manhattan. Special OOS transfer (not counting against bus-subway transfer) to (4) / (5) / (6) at Lexington Avenue-59th Street and (6) at 68th Street-Hunter College.

Edited by Wallyhorse

For those of you who don't want to stay up until 2:00 AM solving the above scenario, I'll give another option:

NEXT:

Trains cannot pass under the East river using the Cranberry St tube or the Rutgers St tube. RULES: no routes can be suspended, or have service frequencies reduced

(A) Runs in two sections:

Between Inwood-207 Street and Chambers Street.

Between High Street and Queens.

(C) Runs in two sections:

Between Washington Heights-168 Street and World Trade Cener.

Between High Street and Euclid Avenue.

(F) Runs in two sections:

Between Queens and East Broadway.

Between York Street and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

NEXT

Due to construction north of DeKalb Av, (B)(D)(N)(Q) trains can not access the manhattan Bridge in both directions, and (R) trains can not access Lawrence St. DeKalb Av may be used as a terminal for northbound trains, and Lawrence St can be used as a terminal for southbound trains. Questions anyone?

(B) Runs in two sections:

Between 145 Street and Lower East Side-2 Avenue.

Between DeKalb Avenue and Brighton Beach.

(D) Runs in two sections:

Between Bronx and Lower East Side-2 Avenue

Between 36 Street and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

(N) Runs in two sections:

Between Queens and Whitehall Street.

Between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

(Q) No trains between Queens and DeKalb Avenue.

(R) Runs in two sections:

Between Queens and Lawrence Street.

Between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and Bay Ridge-95 Street.

Special OOS transfer (not counting against bus-subway transfer) to (4) / (5) / (6) at Lexington Avenue-59th Street and (6) at 68th Street-Hunter College.

That solution was perfectly done, except I'm really confused as to this part. There's a free transfer between 59th Street (4)(5)(6) and 63rd Street (F) already.

And how do you even create a special OOS transfer if there was something happening like this? I've never used it, but doesn't the 59th-63rd use special machines you swipe your metrocards into?

That solution was perfectly done, except I'm really confused as to this part. There's a free transfer between 59th Street (4)(5)(6) and 63rd Street (F) already.

And how do you even create a special OOS transfer if there was something happening like this? I've never used it, but doesn't the 59th-63rd use special machines you swipe your metrocards into?

The idea is to recognize the fact that many people who don't normally use the OOS transfer would be needing to under this set of circumstances. It's set up as I would do it so those going downtown/to the west side or Queensboro Plaza/Astoria or uptown express can do so from the (R) at 60th/Lex while those going uptown on the local can do so at 68th Street.

The idea is to recognize the fact that many people who don't normally use the OOS transfer would be needing to under this set of circumstances. It's set up as I would do it so those going downtown/to the west side or Queensboro Plaza/Astoria or uptown express can do so from the (R) at 60th/Lex while those going uptown on the local can do so at 68th Street.

How about next time you try simplifying your solution rather than complicating it to the point of confusing passengers? You can't expect everyone to read the MTA website to figure all of this out (if this happened in real life).

Since it's getting quiet, I'll post the next scenario:

NEXT:

The Nassau Street Line is shut down. Trains can pass Essex Street to get to the 6th Avenue Line, but there's a twist: You can't terminate trains at Essex Street!

Lines affected: (J)(M)(Z), and any other lines that you need to reroute.

NEXT:

The Nassau Street Line is shut down. Trains can pass Essex Street to get to the 6th Avenue Line, but there's a twist: You can't terminate trains at Essex Street!

(J)(Z): No service between Marcy Av & Broad St. Shuttle Buses operate operate between Broadway Lafayette & Broad St via Bowery, and South Ferry.

(M): Extreme delays.

Next:

Due to runaway animal on elevated White Plains Rd, track is closed north of E. 180th St.

Also in addition, due to suspicious activity surrounding Staten Island Ferry at South Ferry, Bowling Green and St. George, trains cannot go to South Ferry or St. George.

This affects (1)(2)(5)(R) and SIR.

Also in addition, due to two Chinatown bus fire on Manhattan Bridge, (B)(D)(N)(Q) cannot go across Manhattan Bridge.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Next:

Due to runaway animal on elevated White Plains Rd, track is closed north of E. 180th St.

Also in addition, due to suspicious activity surrounding Staten Island Ferry at South Ferry, Bowling Green and St. George, trains cannot go to South Ferry or St. George.

This affects (1)(2)(5) and SIR.

Also in addition, due to two Chinatown bus fire on Manhattan Bridge, (B)(D)(N)(Q) cannot go across Manhattan Bridge.

It also affects the (R), doesn't it?

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

NEXT:

Wow. This is a hard one.

(J)(Z) some trains run Jamaica Center - Myrtle Av, some trains run Jamaica Center - 57 St/6 Av

I'm not extending ANYTHING to 168 St. :lol:

Edited by TheSubwayStation

NEXT:The Nassau Street Line is shut down. Trains can pass Essex Street to get to the 6th Avenue Line, but there's a twist: You can't terminate trains at Essex Street!

Simple enough:

Weekdays:

(J) re-routed via 6th Avenue and CPW to 145th Street (during this time, ALL (B) service goes to Bedford Park Boulevard).

(M) runs normal.

No (Z) service during this time.

Nights and weekends:

(J) terminates at Myrtle Avenue

(M) runs normal weekday route to Queens Plaza.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Next:

This affects (1)(2)(5)(R) and SIR.

(1) Terminates at 14 Street. Skips 18, 23, 28 Streets.

(2) Runs via the (5) to Eastchester-Dyre Avenue.

(2)(3) Runs local south of Times Square-42 Street.

(4) Terminates at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

(5) Suspended, use the (2)(4).

(B) Suspended, use (C)(D)(Q).

Between Bronx and Lower East Side-2 Avenue.

Between 36 Street and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

(N)(Q) via Tunnel.

SIR Terminates at Tompskinville.

Weekdays:

(J) re-routed via 6th Avenue and CPW to 145th Street (during this time, ALL (B) service goes to Bedford Park Boulevard).

facepalm.jpg

How did I know this was coming? If you send the (J) to 145 St, it'll have to merge with the (B), (D), (F), (M), and (C) trains. Sounds like DELAYS.

NEXT:

Because Wallyhorse took over the MTA and sent the (J) train to 145 St, several CPW riders fainted and fell on the tracks upon seeing such a shocking sight. The entire CPW line between 125 St and 59 St is unusable.

NEXT:

Because Wallyhorse took over the MTA and sent the (J) train to 145 St, several CPW riders fainted and fell on the tracks upon seeing such a shocking sight. The entire CPW line between 125 St and 59 St is unusable.

Sorry for spamming smilies, but I laughed really hard at this so:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well:

(A): 145th Street-207th Street and 34th Street to Queens.

(C): Suspended north of 34th Street.

(B): Suspended north of 57th Street/6th Avenue. Some trains terminate at Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

(D): 145th Street-205th Street & Pacific Street-Coney Island.

EDIT: Almost forgot: (J) terminates at Jamaica Center. :D

Edited by ThrexxBus

Simple enough:

Weekdays:

lolwut_verbose_display.jpeg

I'm going to tell you straight up: If you're not going to be realistic, don't solve the damn scenarios. This isn't a foam fest.

facepalm.jpg

How did I know this was coming? If you send the (J) to 145 St, it'll have to merge with the (B), (D), (F), (M), and (C) trains. Sounds like DELAYS.

NEXT:

I'ma do it teh foaming way......

(A) via Queens Bl Local to Jamaica-179 Street

(C) via Queens Bl Local, 63 St, 6 Av Express, to Jamaica-179 Street.

(B) via Queens Bl Local, 53 St to Jamaica-179 Street

(D) via Broadway Express to 57 Street-7 Avenue

(E) Since overload on trains on QBL, via Jamaica Local and 6 Avenue local to 57 Street.

(F) Since overload on trains on QBL, via Jamaica Local and 8 Avenue local to 34 Street-Penn Station.

Expect lots of more changes due to people falling off platforms, because of random trains at random stations! :lol:

Simple enough:

Weekdays:

Facepalm.jpg

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

NEXT:

But seriously:

(A) Runs in two sections:

Between Inwood-207 Street and 145 Street, via local.

Between 34 Street-Penn Station and Brooklyn.

(B) No service between 42 Street-Bryant Park and Bronx.

(C) No service between 34 Street-Penn Station and Washington Heights-168 Street.

Between Bronx and 145 Street.

Between 42 Street-Bryant Park and Brooklyn.

Back to foaming......

NEXT:

The 42 St EXPLODES, because of too much reroute FOAMING. Even streets know when it's too much foaming!

NEXT:

The 42 St EXPLODES, because of too much reroute FOAMING. Even streets know when it's too much foaming!

I refuse to solve something this complicated! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, here's another scenario:

Because of a bomb thread, President St (2)(5) is impassible

Due to a derailment, the South Ferry loop is unusable

Due to a broken rail, the uptown local track at Brooklyn Bridge is unusable

I refuse to solve something this complicated! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, here's another scenario:

Because of a bomb thread, President St (2)(5) is impassible

Due to a derailment, the South Ferry loop is unusable

Due to a broken rail, the uptown local track at Brooklyn Bridge is unusable

(5) Runs via 7 Av. Trains run between Dyre Av and South Ferry.

(6) Trains extended to New Lots Av.

(3) Trains terminate at Eastern Parkway - Brooklyn Museum to not overload the New Lots line

(F) After West 4 St, trains run via the (M) and then (J) via peak-direction express, then via the (L) to Canarsie to provide alternative service for the New Lots line.

(A) Trains run via Culver Local to Coney Island to replace the (F).

(C) Trains run via Culver Express to 18 Av to replace the (F).

(S) Rockaway Shuttle extended to Hoyt Schermerhorn St. During this time, the train relays via Court St/Transit Museum station to provide alternative service.

(Q) Because F service must be reduced to fit on the Myrtle line, (Q) trains are extended to 179 St via 63 St and QBL Express.

and finally...

(2) Trains terminate at Nevins St Lower Level (for this emergency change, tracks are installed there).

NEXT

Because of a water condition, the uptown local track at Rockaway Av is closed.

Edited by NX Express