Subway - What If?

VWM

Nice, 500 pages of this thread.

Next: Due to a Derailment at Queensboro Plaza, its upper level (both tracks) is unuseable.

Where to do the (N) / (Q) / (7) go?

(7) operates as follows:

34th Street-Hudson Yards (if open) OR Times Square to Court Square (45th Road)

Single-track shuttle between Queensboro Plaza (lower level) and 61st-Woodside operating on Manhattan-bound track in both directions.

61st-Woodside and Main Street-Flushing, skipping 69th Street in both directions.

Shuttle bus operates between Hunterspoint Avenue and 74th-Roosevelt

(F) operates express on its full route in Queens to 179th Street

(G)(M) and (R) are ALL extended to 179th Street (local throughout) with select trains skipping 169th Street to better facilitate turning trains around.

Passengers on the (7) in Manhattan looking for points beyond 74th Street in Queens (and vice versa) are advised to take the (E)(G) or (M) between Court Square and 74th-Roosevelt.

(N) operates as follows:

Coney Island to 57th Street-7th Avenue (The (Q) also terminates there)

Shuttle between Queensboro Plaza (lower level) and Ditmars Boulevard-Astroia

Special OOS transfers available between Queensboro and Queens Plaza and ALSO between 36th Street (M)(R) and 39th Avenue (N) stations in Queens.

Edited by Wallyhorse

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, 500 pages of this thread.

Next: Due to a Derailment at Queensboro Plaza, its upper level (both tracks) is unuseable.

Where to do the (N) / (Q) / (7) go?

(7) Shuttle between Main Street and Flushing. <7> suspended.

(S) between Astoria and Queensboro Plaza. Both will terminate on the Lower Level.

(N) extended via Queens Blvd Local to Forest Hills. (R) serviced modified to accommodate the service.

(Q) truncated to 57th Street.

Some (M) trains terminate at 57th-6th Avenue to accommodate the extra service.

(F) service slightly reduced to make room for terminating (M) trains at 57th Street.

In Manhattan, no (7) service. The Shuttle runs all night and more frequently.

For (N)(Q)(7) customers that need Queens service, they will receive a paper transfer to from Queens Plaza for connection to Queensboro Plaza.

Next:

A derailment has taken out the West 8th Street (Q)(F) station and it can not be used or passed through. Also, 86 Street-Gravesand has suffered structural damage and will take at least a year to fix.

Reroute/Suspend.

(N) via West End, shuttle bus

(Q) to Brighton Beach, (B) to Kings Hwy

(F) to Av X

I agree with the (F) to Av X but I would disagree with the (N) via West End.

(N) To Kings Hwy via Sea Beach.

(Q) via West End Exp

(B) To Brighton Beach via local.

Next:

A derailment has taken out the West 8th Street (Q)(F) station and it can not be used or passed through. Also, 86 Street-Gravesand has suffered structural damage and will take at least a year to fix.

Reroute/Suspend.

(F) runs as follows:

Southbound: Normal route soutbound to Avenue X and then if possible runs through Coney Island/Avenue X yard to terminate on the Stillwell Avenue (N) platform at Coney Island.

Northbound: Trains do not stop at Avenue U in any case. 

If trains soutbound terminate at Avenue X, such trains run on the express track to Kings Highway and then run normal route after that.

If trains southbound run through to Coney Island, such trains northbound skip Avenue X and Avenue U before running as noted.

Single-track shuttle operates on the Manhattan-bound local track between Kings Highway and Van Siclen Avenue.

(N) runs to Kings Highway with limited service Avenue U.

(Q) runs to Ocean Parkway.

(F) runs as follows:

Southbound: Normal route soutbound to Avenue X and then if possible runs through Coney Island/Avenue X yard to terminate on the Stillwell Avenue (N) platform at Coney Island.

Your answers:

Will NEVER happen. We aren't authorized to carry customers through Coney Island Yard. It will go out of service at Kings Highway or Ave X. Sometimes a train will remain in service straight to Stillwell on tk 5/6 and then will swing around north of the station to get back to tks 1-4 if it was a (B) or (Q) . In the case of the (D) , it will just next make its next trip to 205 from 5/6.

And yes, you can get from Ave X to Brighton Beach via the yard without reversing direction.

The (N) uses mainline track that happens to pass between two years (not really throught the yard).

Yars tracks, like the ones used to enter Stillwell through "the back door", that move is called, aren't protected by block signals, and passenger service must have block signals (that indicate the track ahead is occupied, and can activate the emergency brake if passed).

One move through a yeard that is protected by block signals and thus allowed is through part of 180th St. yard as an alternate way for the (2) to get into the station.

The "if possible" you place in a lot of suggestions almost always have a zero chance of happening. I'd liken it to a footnote on the label of bottled spring water suggesting that the water in the bottle could be fed to a hydrogen generator to create fuel for hydrogen-powered vehicles. While true, the the knowledge has no practical value to over 99% of people buying the water.

Single-track shuttle operates on the Manhattan-bound local track between Kings Highway and Van Siclen Avenue.

Van Siclen Avenue doesn't exist, and I don't believe it ever did. The Neptune Avenue station, though, used to be named Van Sicklen, but it wasn't named after any avenue by the same name.

(N) runs to Kings Highway with limited service Avenue U.

It's not operationally possible. The switches permit trains from the express track in either direction to make a stop at Kings Highway before returning to express, or to either turn trains from Coney Island or Manhattan. Trains that pass the switches north of south of Kings Highway cannot turn back with the switches.

(Q) runs to Ocean Parkway.

There are no facilities there to support terminating trains, but it's technically possible. Edited by CenSin

Next:

Reroute/Suspend.

(Q) terminates at Brighton Beach with the (B).

(F) terminates at Brighton Beach, but due to track layout, southbound Avenue U will need to be skipped.

(N) terminates at Kings Highway.

Shuttle buses serve respective stations along these three services and converge at Stillwell Terminal.

(Q) terminates at Brighton Beach with the (B).

(F) terminates at Brighton Beach, but due to track layout, southbound Avenue U will need to be skipped.

(N) terminates at Kings Highway.

Shuttle buses serve respective stations along these three services and converge at Stillwell Terminal.

I, for some reason, can't edit this. I meant to say (F) to Avenue X.

Ah Okay:

That's why I write if possible when I'm not sure and in this case wrote two scenarios for the (F).

The usual way to evaluate whether something should be mentioned is to weigh all the variables and do a mental calculation of the likelihood of happening. In these what-if scenarios, we make a generous suspension of disbelief for some of the ridiculous scenarios that crop up, but what follows is usually a sensible plan to deal with the scenario as if the MTA had to handle it. A lot of things pass the test of "if possible," but knowing a little bit about how the MTA operates, the likelihood of some of them happening approaches 0:

• Not suspending (B) service ← Adds to the delays
  • Not suspending (C) service ← Adds to the delays
  • Not cutting the (M) back to Chambers Street ← Adds to the delays when there are problems along 6 Avenue and/or Queens Boulevard
  • Sending all trains to Jamaica–179 Street on a dime ← Costs too much and eventually reduces service levels at the other ends of the extended routes
  • Sending 6 Avenue routes (other than (F)) to Euclid Avenue, Ozone Park–Lefferts Boulevard, Far Rockaway–Mott Avenue, or Rockaway Park–Beach 116 Street ← Extremely long and/or deviant routing
  • Sending 8 Avenue routes via the 4 Avenue, Crosstown, Culver, or Brighton lines ← Extremely deviant routing
  • Sending 8 Avenue or 6 Avenue routes (other than (M)) to Myrtle Avenue, Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue, or Broadway Junction ← Extremely deviant routing
  • Sending Jamaica line trains to 6 Avenue (other than (M)) ← Extremely deviant routing
  • Sending Myrtle Avenue or Jamaica line trains to the Central Park West line ← Extremely long and deviant routing
  • Sending anything other than an (L) to Canarsie–Rockaway Parkway ← CBTC

Yes. Some of these things might have happened before, or might have even been enshrined on official maps. I've seen (E) trains up Central Park West and (C) trains working the Queens Boulevard express tracks. But let's be realistic here; very few extenuating circumstances call for such reroutes. Once the first few trains slip by unannounced into "forbidden territory," the MTA will make plans to ensure the rest of the trains don't—the same plans that show up as temporary service changes on mta.info.

Example:

An problem at 50 Street ( (E) northbound platform) causes the (E) at 42 Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal to be routed up Central Park West. The rest of the (E) trains on the northbound track past Spring Street may end up on Central Park West, but that'll probably be only 1 or 2 more trains. Subsequent trains will be rerouted via 6 Avenue to avoid Central Park West.

And as far as Van Siclen Avenue, this is where there is such a station shown: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_southeast_3.png

I live there and it's called Neptune Avenue. It's been Neptune Avenue for as long as I remember. In fact, the "Van Sicklen" name was a relatively recent discovery for me.

Notice the omission of "AVE." for Van Sicklen which is attached to the name of just about every station that actually crosses an avenue.

2nuu8fa.jpg

Given the obvious errors found in the NYCSubway.org maps, I would not trust the source without double-checking:

257zlhc.pngi4jvqg.png

These maps have been wrong for over a decade.

2dqpus5.png

22 Avenue has also been renamed to Bay Parkway for quite some time.

So, double-checking that the station was really named "Van Sicklen":

qx5fua.jpg

It would appear that there are two spellings for the station, so doing a little more work, I find two more references to Neptune Avenue with either "Van Siclen" or "Van Sicklen":

It appears that there is no consensus. What I do know is that no passenger will know what you're referring to if you call it anything other than Neptune Avenue. It's what's announced when the NTTs make a stop at the station, and it's what's on the signage. 20 years is a pretty long time to shed an old name.

The streets and avenues it served below, however, never included a "Van Sicklen Avenue" (or any variation of it).

Edited by CenSin

• 2 weeks later...

Since no one has posted a scenario in 2 weeks... 

There has been a derailment at 9th Avenue on the  (D). There are numerous injuries reported. 

Reroute or suspend away!

Elaborate. Which tracks/platforms are unavailable and for what reason?

Edited by CenSin

(4) and (6) trains Terminate at 42nd Street Southbound, Northbound (4)s terminate at Brooklyn Bridge, (5) trains run Via the 7th Ave Line from Nevins to 149th Street, (N), (Q), (R) trains terminate at 34th Street Southbound, Some Northbound ®s will run via the (D) then (F) to Forest Hills, other (R) will run to Canal Street Via Montague, Northbound (Q)s will run via the (B) then (F) to Lex Ave-63rd. If this isn't good, you guys can correct me.

A speeding (5) train gets scraped and a small explosion happens at 14 St-Union Sq. The entire complex fills up with smoke, debris, and wobbly conditions. Third Av (L) cannot be used to turn trains.

Reroute/suspend/provide alternates.

(4) Woodlawn to Grand Central

(5) Dyre Av to 180 St

(6) Pelham Bay Park to Grand Central

(L) Bedford Av to Canarsie

(N) Astoria to 34 St (49 St would be skipped in both directions) Whitehall St to Coney Island

(Q) Suspended, (B) would be extended to Coney Island

(R) via 6 Av/63 St in both directions

A (5) train derails at East 180 Street causing the entire structure to become unstable from 180th to Wakefeild and Dyre Ave. Reroute.

Javier, a train derailment doesn't do that kind of damage. The tracks will be blocked. But if a mere train derailment could destabilize an elevated structure, I'd worry about the shoddy state of the structure itself before any derailment has even happened.

Javier, a train derailment doesn't do that kind of damage. The tracks will be blocked. But if a mere train derailment could destabilize an elevated structure, I'd worry about the shoddy state of the structure itself before any derailment has even happened.

Here's what I meant: http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/2014/09/10/ninth-avenue-elevated-train-crash-1905/.

Several cars of a train fell off the elevated and yet service resumed 4 hours after the accident. Dead bodies were cleared away, and all of the debris hauled off.

Edited by CenSin

Formulate a plan in which trains can run underground ONLY during a snowstorm.

More or less a plan 5...sounds like fun lol

(1) 96 St to South Ferry

(2) 3 Av-149 St to Flatbush Av via local

(3) suspended

(4) 149 St-Concourse to Utica Av...Express in Manhattan, Local in Brooklyn

(5) Suspended

(6) 3 Av-138 St to Brooklyn Bridge

(7) suspended (not much you can do)

(A) 207 St to Euclid Av, local in Brooklyn

(B) suspended

(C) 168 St to Hoyt-Schermerhorn (its possible, relay via A5 track at Lafayette)

(D) 205 St to Bway-Lafayette

(E) via Queens Blvd local

(F) via Queens Blvd Local to Jay St (relay via Bergen lower)

(G) Court Sq to Bergen St

(J) Essex St to Broad St

(L) 8 Av to Myrtle-Wyckoff

(M) suspended

(N) Lex-59 St to Bay Ridge-95 St via Whitehall and 4 Av local

(Q) suspended

(R) Suspended

(Z) Suspended (obviously lol)

42 St shuttle runs at all times, all other shuttles suspended

More or less a plan 5...sounds like fun lol

(1) 96 St to South Ferry

(2) 3 Av-149 St to Flatbush Av via local

(3) suspended

(4) 149 St-Concourse to Utica Av...Express in Manhattan, Local in Brooklyn

(5) Suspended

(6) 3 Av-138 St to Brooklyn Bridge

(7) suspended (not much you can do)

(A) 207 St to Euclid Av, local in Brooklyn

(B) suspended

(C) 168 St to Hoyt-Schermerhorn (its possible, relay via A5 track at Lafayette)

(D) 205 St to Bway-Lafayette

(E) via Queens Blvd local

(F) via Queens Blvd Local to Jay St (relay via Bergen lower)

(G) Court Sq to Bergen St

(J) Essex St to Broad St

(L) 8 Av to Myrtle-Wyckoff

(M) suspended

(N) Lex-59 St to Bay Ridge-95 St via Whitehall and 4 Av local

(Q) suspended

(R) Suspended

(Z) Suspended (obviously lol)

42 St shuttle runs at all times, all other shuttles suspended

I agree with the majority but if it's obviously a Plan 5 all services will be local. Therefore I 100% agree with the IRT. However with the B-division (excluding the 7) of course I'd change:

(A) fully local To/from Euclid.

(C) suspended

(D) 205th to 2nd Av via 6th Av local.

(N) Bay Ridge to Continental but I think Lex-59th is good as you stated,