MTA Bus november agenda

Q101viaSteinway

Moving the Q21 from Rockaway Park to Arvene and adding a LTD was probably an easy choice for the (MTA) to make because it cost them almost nothing.

(This doesn't take into account the blank check for (MTA) Bus Company routes; the (MTA) might not want to fall back on that, because it may not last forever.)

Extending the Q21 to Far Rockaway on the other hand, will definitely cost $$$. The (MTA) likely won't want to do that unless they believe extra revenue brought in from the Q21 extension will be worth the extra mileage... or they cut/change service somewhere else to fund such an extension.

Geez, when last the time we had a route changed dramatically like this? (not counting the service cuts) The Q8 extension to Gateway Mall, maybe?

If the (Q21) is extended to Far Rockaway, (MTA) bus officals IMO better scrap the Lindenwood section. As i stated earlier I would create either a new branch of the "Q11" running to 164th Ave/Cross Bay to serve the Lindenwood branch, the current "Q21" serves.

After listening to Cait and B35, i taken off the plan to have the "Q41" serve that area.

Moving the Q21 from Rockaway Park to Arvene and adding a LTD was probably an easy choice for the (MTA) to make because it cost them almost nothing.

(This doesn't take into account the blank check for (MTA) Bus Company routes; the (MTA) might not want to fall back on that, because it may not last forever.)

Extending the Q21 to Far Rockaway on the other hand, will definitely cost $$$. The (MTA) likely won't want to do that unless they believe extra revenue brought in from the Q21 extension will be worth the extra mileage... or they cut/change service somewhere else to fund such an extension.

Geez, when last the time we had a route changed dramatically like this? (not counting the service cuts) The Q8 extension to Gateway Mall, maybe?

They should just cut ALL (Q22) to B.116 between 11PM and 6AM:

(Q22) Rockaway Beach Boulevard

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Q22)Operate between Roxbury and Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue (A) station(Full Route), Daily

To Roxbury To Mott Avenue AM Noon PM Eve Nite

Weekday: 6:32AM-10:05 PM 7:00AM-10:30PM 7 10 10 20 -

Saturday: 7:15AM-10:05PM 6:54AM-10:10PM 10 10 10 15 -

Sunday : 7:35AM-10:05PM 6:54 AM-9:50PM 20 10 10 15 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Q22)Operate between Rockaway Park B. 116 street (A)(S) station and Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue (A) (full time route),Daily

To B.116 Street To Mott Avenue AM Noon PM Eve Nite

Weekday: 4:55AM-12:25AM 5:45AM-1:15AM 7 10 10 20 -

Saturday: 4:55AM-12:25AM 5:45AM-1:15AM 10 10 10 20 -

Sunday: 4:55AM-12:25AM- 5:45AM-1:15AM 20 10 10 20 -

If the Q21 is extended to Far Rockaway, MTA bus officals IMO better scrap the Lindenwood section

Like I said earlier, I don't think Lindenwood really needs 2 (local) bus routes serving it....

Aside from that... what can still be considered, is having:

- Q21's run b/w Arverne & QB (no Lindenwood)... Q41 remains as the only bus serving Lindenwood

- Q21 short turns running between Lindenwood & QB... Q21 & the Q41 has the exact same routing between 164th/cross bay & Rockaway Blvd (A).....

They should just cut ALL (Q22) to B.116 between 11PM and 6AM:

...and terminate em where exactly?

Don't say w/ the Q35 or w/ the Q53 either.... there's simply no room for it...

Like I said earlier, I don't think Lindenwood really needs 2 (local) bus routes serving it....

Aside from that... what can still be considered, is having:

- Q21's run b/w Arverne & QB (no Lindenwood)... Q41 remains as the only bus serving Lindenwood

- Q21 short turns running between Lindenwood & QB... Q21 & the Q41 has the exact same routing between 164th/cross bay & Rockaway Blvd (A).....

...and terminate em where exactly?

Don't say w/ the Q35 or w/ the Q53 either.... there's simply no room for it...

I think Q23 was suggesting late evenings-last bus the "Q22" terminate at Beach 116th and the Broadwalk area(old "Q21" terminal)

And on Lindenwood I disagree and feel just have a new branch of the "Q11" serve it and make a shuttle the Hamilton Beach branch between Rockaway Blvd/Liberty (A) and Hamilton Beach.

I think Q23 was suggesting late evenings-last bus the "Q22" terminate at Beach 116th and the Broadwalk area(old "Q21" terminal)

And on Lindenwood I disagree and feel just have a new branch of the "Q11" serve it and make a shuttle the Hamilton Beach branch between Rockaway Blvd/Liberty (A) and Hamilton Beach.

i say leave the Q22 alone and as is. its a route that serves its purpose. running the full route late evenings is fine as is. you dont have to walk along 116h st to transfer since the 22 & 35 sharebthe b149th st stop. its gets cold out here in the winter. lots of overnight workers in rockaway utilize the 35 to the 22 via 149th st stop. having 22s short turn at 116 st accomplishes nothing. especially at he boardwalk. really? they moved the 21 from there for a reason. wow. the mta changes one route in an area and all of a sudden, every route needs changing. theres a saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it. the 21 was broke. they fixed it. thats all that was needed for now. extending it to far rock is not needed. the 21a was cut for no ridership. the A and Q22 does just fine as is east of ABTS.

What facet of what I said are you disagreeing with ?

...and the Q11 has enough branches as it is.

Having 22s short turn at 116 st accomplishes nothing.

especially at he boardwalk. really? they moved the 21 from there for a reason.

This.

Glad you bothered to address this... b/c I wadn't goin dignify terminating buses at the boardwalk with a response....

you know this wouldve continued about where to short turn buses if they were to. when the 22 does short turn during the day, they use the current Q22 stops. why change that. the drivers can go north or south to turn the bus around. people use those stops with no complaints. figuring out where to do operations like this is what the mta has people for who base these decisions on passenger demand. passengers did not demand service to the boardwalk. not even during the summer.

if one doesnt use the service, how would one know whats needed.

not everyone here as frequented rockaway bus service. those of us that have or currently do knows whats good for there and why. most see a map, here of new changes and start playing route planner. not knowing whybits been changed or of previous changes in the past. green lines kept the 21 because of its few dedicated riders and the potential of extra beach service in the summer. if there were dedicated riders on the 21a, there probably still be direct service from across the bay to far rock.

and as far as lindenwood, its funny how that part of the discussion seemed to startat the mention of IF the 21 was extended to far rock to eliminate 21 lindenwood service. now everyone is debating of what to take its place. who here frequents riding thru lindenwood and has seen who gets on and off in that neighborhood? and on a consistent basis?

now to throw in my 2 cents on the 21 issue just to give a more logical option IMO based on 20 years as a rider, IF and only IF theres passenger deman for 21s to go to far rock, it should only be the LTDs that skip lindenwood during rush hours only. the local should remain unchanged. but as i stated, thats only if theres demand, which currently there isnt and will not have the nessessary data to decide such since the reroute just went into effect. its been about 2-3 years since they extended the 21 north and it took this long to decide to reroute the southern end.

Archived