33rd Aniversary of the Southwest Brooklyn Bus Route changes was on Nov. 12th.

BrooklynBus

Stop bragging.

nah, just messin w/ you man....

Seriously though, Good article chief.... Really elaborates on what the current problems are, in regards to route planning on NYC's bus routes..... You're supposed to (want to) "fix" w/e interconnectivity (xfer) problems there are w/i the system, as well as aiming to bringing forth latent riders/ridership.... More (and better) transportation options w/i an urban community can & does bring more ppl to opting to wanting to reside within it....

Here in 2011, the exact opposite of that is being done.

Cramming riders onto the nearest bus route in a given neighborhood

Stop bragging.

nah, just messin w/ you man....

Seriously though, Good article chief.... Really elaborates on what the current problems are, in regards to route planning on NYC's bus routes..... You're supposed to (want to) "fix" w/e interconnectivity (xfer) problems there are w/i the system, as well as aiming to bringing forth latent riders/ridership.... More (and better) transportation options w/i an urban community can & does bring more ppl to opting to wanting to reside within it....

All I will say is stay tuned for Parts 2 and 3 to learn much more.

Don't know if you have a 9 to 5 job or not, but if it is not too late to register, this Friday there is a free Transporation Seminar which I will be attending. I'm going to the breakout session about gaps in the transit map which I think also interests you. For more info, go to http://transpo2030.eventbrite.com.

Don't know if you have a 9 to 5 job or not, but if it is not too late to register, this Friday there is a free Transporation Seminar which I will be attending. I'm going to the breakout session about gaps in the transit map which I think also interests you. For more info, go to http://transpo2030.eventbrite.com.

Damn it. I wish I could go, but I have school. I'd be nice if they did it on the day after Thanksgiving.

I assume you're going to Breakout Session #2. If that's the case, if you get the chance, could you just quickly bring up the following ideas (as you know, I live in a two-fare zone out here in SI):

* Implement peak/off-peak charges on express buses in an attempt to boost ridership off-peak. An increase in ridership would mean more frequent express bus service, making it easier to reach Manhattan (obviously, the other boroughs would see some increase in service, but the impact would be most felt on Staten Island)

* Allowing LIRR/MNRR passengers to transfer for free to the subways/local buses. It would make travel easier and move passengers from buses onto rail (if they're trying to do it when it's inconvenient to the riders, they might as well try to do it when it's convenient for the riders). It would relieve overcrowding on routes paralleling those lines.

* I know B35 wasn't being serious, but they should consider having some super-limited buses from certain points to bring people to/from the subway faster. For instance, the B35 could have some buses that travel from Ralph Avenue to the (B)(Q) subway station, stopping only at Ralph Avenue, Utica Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, and East 18th Street. The buses would be free to take the least congested route between stops. You could have a similar setup on the B8, rush hours only (of course, there'd still be the regular local/limited-stop buses, just fewer of them).

* On the North Shore of Staten Island, tell them about the gap in service I informed you about (between Victory Blvd and Forest Avenue west of Richmond Avenue) and how I intended to fill it (I came up with another route, the S82 that would fill both that gap and some gaps in the South Shore, but I think that's too ambitious).

Also, inform them of the gaps left by the lack of S66 and S54 weekend service along Jewett/Howard Avenue and Manor Road (and that the S54 could be strengthened by being sent to St. George. There's nothing we can do for the S66, though)

Damn it. I wish I could go, but I have school. I'd be nice if they did it on the day after Thanksgiving.

I assume you're going to Breakout Session #2. If that's the case, if you get the chance, could you just quickly bring up the following ideas (as you know, I live in a two-fare zone out here in SI):

* Implement peak/off-peak charges on express buses in an attempt to boost ridership off-peak. An increase in ridership would mean more frequent express bus service, making it easier to reach Manhattan (obviously, the other boroughs would see some increase in service, but the impact would be most felt on Staten Island)

* Allowing LIRR/MNRR passengers to transfer for free to the subways/local buses. It would make travel easier and move passengers from buses onto rail (if they're trying to do it when it's inconvenient to the riders, they might as well try to do it when it's convenient for the riders). It would relieve overcrowding on routes paralleling those lines.

* I know B35 wasn't being serious, but they should consider having some super-limited buses from certain points to bring people to/from the subway faster. For instance, the B35 could have some buses that travel from Ralph Avenue to the (B)(Q) subway station, stopping only at Ralph Avenue, Utica Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, and East 18th Street. The buses would be free to take the least congested route between stops. You could have a similar setup on the B8, rush hours only (of course, there'd still be the regular local/limited-stop buses, just fewer of them).

* On the North Shore of Staten Island, tell them about the gap in service I informed you about (between Victory Blvd and Forest Avenue west of Richmond Avenue) and how I intended to fill it (I came up with another route, the S82 that would fill both that gap and some gaps in the South Shore, but I think that's too ambitious).

Also, inform them of the gaps left by the lack of S66 and S54 weekend service along Jewett/Howard Avenue and Manor Road (and that the S54 could be strengthened by being sent to St. George. There's nothing we can do for the S66, though)

Doubt it if I even get a chance to say much but I'll bring this list with me.

Just a few points. You know how the City institutes off-peak reduced fares? They will raise peak express buses to $7 and off-peak will be $5.50. Are you sure you want me to mention it?

Years ago they had some B35s just from Remsen to Nostrand. Doubt it if that still exists. Don't know about super limiteds. But they did have something once called Zone Express they tried on Merrick Blvd in Queens in 1981. Don't know whatever happened to it. Just remember the study cost $120,000 and I designed the cover for the report during my first month with the MTA. It operated similar to how elevators operate where most every one is going to a singular destination and there is little travel between stops. You know: locals Floors 1-10, Expresses 1 and 11-20, 1 and 21 to 30, etc. That is something worth exploring where there is very heavy subway traffic, Buses could just pick up until they are full, then run non-stop to the major destination. Locals and perhaps limiteds would handle the rest of the traffic. It is something worth exploring and might be more effective than limiteds which bypass stops. But you would need an origin / destination study to determine if it would work or not. The MTA does none of that and does all its planning using passenger counts which is not the way to plan.

Doubt it if I even get a chance to say much but I'll bring this list with me.

Just a few points. You know how the City institutes off-peak reduced fares? They will raise peak express buses to $7 and off-peak will be $5.50. Are you sure you want me to mention it?

Well, I stated my idea before ($6.25 peak, $5 off-peak), but since we know the MTA is going to do another fare hike eventually, they could just do it then.

So instead of raising it to say, $6.50 all times, they could make it $7 peak and $5.50 off-peak (so you only see a fare hike if you travel during rush hour).

The idea is to make it cheaper compared to the subway (lower the multiple down to 2 times the local fare off-peak) to try and boost off-peak ridership.

So I guess you could throw it out there as an idea. By the time they finish studying it, it'll probably be time for the next fare hike anyway.

Years ago they had some B35s just from Remsen to Nostrand. Doubt it if that still exists. Don't know about super limiteds. But they did have something once called Zone Express they tried on Merrick Blvd in Queens in 1981. Don't know whatever happened to it. Just remember the study cost $120,000 and I designed the cover for the report during my first month with the MTA. It operated similar to how elevators operate where most every one is going to a singular destination and there is little travel between stops. You know: locals Floors 1-10, Expresses 1 and 11-20, 1 and 21 to 30, etc. That is something worth exploring where there is very heavy subway traffic, Buses could just pick up until they are full, then run non-stop to the major destination. Locals and perhaps limiteds would handle the rest of the traffic. It is something worth exploring and might be more effective than limiteds which bypass stops. But you would need an origin / destination study to determine if it would work or not. The MTA does none of that and does all its planning using passenger counts which is not the way to plan.

You're right. It's a good idea in theory, but the MTA would probably go about it the wrong way.

You're right. It's a good idea in theory, but the MTA would probably go about it the wrong way.

I agree with you but if you are this cynical now, what's going to happen when you get older?

Also, for anyone who is not going back to Sheepsheadbites to check on the comments, I would like to repeat one of them here:

If anyone is interested, there are still remnants of the old B1 bus stops in Sheepshead Bay. If you look on East 13th Street just north of Avenues Z and Y, you will still see the concrete bus pads where the bus stops used to be. There is also an old 21 sign and map still up on one of the lamp posts. But I'll leave that for you to figure out where it is.

Here is a partial rundown of the bus stop changes on Sheepshead Bay Road near the station. Present eastbound B36 to Avenue U: formerly B21 stop in front to Knapp St and B1 behind to Manhattan Beach. Present westbound B36 stop to Coney Island: formerly B36 stop to Avenue U, the B1 stop to 25th Avenue and the B21 stop toward Manhattan Beach. East 16th Street B49 stop to Manhattan Beach: formerly B36 stop to Coney Island.

So you can imagine all the confusion during those first few weeks when no bus stops even listed the route numbers stopping at each bus stop. The MTA posted between 2 and 4 people near the station to help people figure out where to wait. You can imagine all the cursing and confusion.

Here is Part 2: Why The MTA Is On The Wrong Track | Sheepshead Bay News Blog

I borrowed the term "super bus routes" from B35. It's as good a name as any to describe what the MTA is secretly attempting to do.

I have to say that I agree 100% with your article. This past Saturday I was thinking about paying $11.00 for car service to the X10 vs taking the local bus to the X10. Then I thought about the S54 and how it was nice in this weather to walk to it and take the 5 minute ride to the X10, but that's no more since weekend service was cut completely. :mad: Then I thought about the S53 which takes longer and leaves me by the X10, but no where I would prefer to be since there are less seats by then on the X10, although the S53 is more frequent, but is a walk up hill for me to the stop and also has forced me to miss my X10 connection at times since they can run w/delays... :mad: I chose car service instead which takes me exactly where I want to go, is quick and I have no worries.

I don't even bother with the S54 anymore during late nights during the week because even then it is unreliable. Why should I wait from 20 - 30 minutes (if the bus comes as scheduled) or wait another 30 minutes for the next bus (if that one comes, which has happened where neither bus comes) just for a 5 minute ride, plus I have to walk uphill after I get off when I can have a car waiting for me at the express bus and drop me at my door in 5-10 minutes?

This is also another reason that I'm leaving Staten Island. I don't see service really improving much and it makes more sense for me to go where there is more transportation, such as Riverdale, which has MetroNorth and several express buses that run 7 days, which allows me to have to rely on car service far less. For me I am not quite ready yet to get a car since I normally go to the city everyday and would only use the car to get to the express bus anyway and in some cases having a car is not at all convenient.

For example, I may decide to go into work later than usual and take a different express bus. Sure having the car would allow me to drive there, but then I would have to take that same bus to get back to the car, where as having car service allows me more flexibility to take whatever express bus best works for me and my schedule. Another example I think of is with the X10. There was a chick standing next to me once that was waiting for an X17 that was MIA and she had parked her car somewhere where only the X17 ran and she was basically stranded. She called up a friend to ask that they pick her up and drop her by her car, something that I would not want to deal with. :P

In the future yes I will eventually get a car, but for now it is not practical and since the (MTA) is looking to cut service more, I've turned to using car service far more than in the past. However, I do think that we need to be more vocal about these cuts. We cannot lose the B64, nor can we afford more cuts to the B4. I also agree that parts of Dyker Heights and Bay Ridge really do lack efficient bus service. :mad:

Oh and we're still fighting to get back weekend service on the X27 and X28... We can't let the (MTA) off of the hook from providing needed service. :mad:

I have to say that I agree 100% with your article. This past Saturday I was thinking about paying $11.00 for car service to the X10 vs taking the local bus to the X10. Then I thought about the S54 and how it was nice in this weather to walk to it and take the 5 minute ride to the X10, but that's no more since weekend service was cut completely. :mad: Then I thought about the S53 which takes longer and leaves me by the X10, but no where I would prefer to be since there are less seats by then on the X10, although the S53 is more frequent, but is a walk up hill for me to the stop and also has forced me to miss my X10 connection at times since they can run w/delays... :mad: I chose car service instead which takes me exactly where I want to go, is quick and I have no worries.

I don't even bother with the S54 anymore during late nights during the week because even then it is unreliable. Why should I wait from 20 - 30 minutes (if the bus comes as scheduled) or wait another 30 minutes for the next bus (if that one comes, which has happened where neither bus comes) just for a 5 minute ride, plus I have to walk uphill after I get off when I can have a car waiting for me at the express bus and drop me at my door in 5-10 minutes?

As BrooklynBus would say, they don't care about you because you use an Express Bus Plus MetroCard, so you're not generating any extra revenue for them (and the same would apply if you used a pay-per-ride MetroCard with a transfer). But even if there were no bus-express bus transfers, I doubt they would care that you're resorting to other means of transportation to reach the express bus.

And here's an example where they're actually losing revenue because they're not providing enough service. My grandmother sometimes goes to CSI, but because she would have to walk 2/5 of a mile, wait for the S62, and then walk within CSI, she just decides to take car service to get there. If the S93 were extended, there'd be more frequent service for her (if she walked down to where the S62 and S93 met, which would be Victory Blvd/Richmond Avenue) or if she was content with waiting, it would be a shorter walk. The MTA wouldn't take into account additional revenue generated from people like her (and there's plenty of others, both elderly and non-elderly in the same situation, all across the city that aren't giving the MTA additional revenue because they aren't providing convenient service. In some cases, I'm sure the MTA would be making money by providing the service and yet they refuse to do so. You can also get people to shift from walking to the bus (instead of car service to the bus) if the service is improved enough.

By the way, my professor works for Nicole Malliotakis, so my professor told me to mention his name and I'll have an easier time getting an appointment to discuss our proposals. :cool:

As BrooklynBus would say, they don't care about you because you use an Express Bus Plus MetroCard, so you're not generating any extra revenue for them (and the same would apply if you used a pay-per-ride MetroCard with a transfer). But even if there were no bus-express bus transfers, I doubt they would care that you're resorting to other means of transportation to reach the express bus.

And here's an example where they're actually losing revenue because they're not providing enough service. My grandmother sometimes goes to CSI, but because she would have to walk 2/5 of a mile, wait for the S62, and then walk within CSI, she just decides to take car service to get there. If the S93 were extended, there'd be more frequent service for her (if she walked down to where the S62 and S93 met, which would be Victory Blvd/Richmond Avenue) or if she was content with waiting, it would be a shorter walk. The MTA wouldn't take into account additional revenue generated from people like her (and there's plenty of others, both elderly and non-elderly in the same situation, all across the city that aren't giving the MTA additional revenue because they aren't providing convenient service. In some cases, I'm sure the MTA would be making money by providing the service and yet they refuse to do so. You can also get people to shift from walking to the bus (instead of car service to the bus) if the service is improved enough.

By the way, my professor works for Nicole Malliotakis, so my professor told me to mention his name and I'll have an easier time getting an appointment to discuss our proposals. :cool:

So in other words express bus riders don't matter and local bus riders are more important? Is that what you're saying? :mad: In any event I was talking about bus service in general.

So in other words express bus riders don't matter and local bus riders are more important? Is that what you're saying? :mad: In any event I was talking about bus service in general.

I say BS no form of bus service is more important than another they all feed each other and complement on each other's strengths. Express bus service is equally as important as local bus service BUT duplicate express buses that do NOT save time at all aren't very important at all and tend to carry very low ridership. Each service is unique in every system MTA is no exception but due to their subway system there is less emphasis on bus service in general However it acts more like feeder and serve big corridors and areas where elderly ppl are and everybody else

are you sure you don't have a planner that isn't limited to NYC???? I am not very strong on things MTA ya know. Except SI to an extent and strengthening weak lines.

* I know B35 wasn't being serious, but they should consider having some super-limited buses from certain points to bring people to/from the subway faster. For instance, the B35 could have some buses that travel from Ralph Avenue to the (:P(Q) subway station, stopping only at Ralph Avenue, Utica Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, and East 18th Street. The buses would be free to take the least congested route between stops. You could have a similar setup on the B8, rush hours only (of course, there'd still be the regular local/limited-stop buses, just fewer of them).

YES that was what I was thinking in terms of express bus service However my express bus off-peak ideas modify queens and brooklyn express lines to increase ridership via reroutes and that off-peak fare thing. If LIRR MNRR gets free transfers then regional buses crossing into NYC can be manipulated to bring in faster through service. However Instead of S54 to St george I would combine S54's manor road segment with S42 allowing service cuts on S42 to be reversed. The S66 can have it's unique parts swapped to other routes like S54 for jewett so it can enter NJ with S57. Other NJT lines get turned into expresses to SI and BK with CSI as major transfer point. B2 strengthening will improve CSI service and create compition for cars in a way partially and add service to a corridor that needs it too. The service gaps on S54/66 can be eliminated with NJ and st george to strengthen lines. I have ways of getting around those limits of some SI routes. Soon you will know what I really mean good post 13checkmate

When did I say that?

I said that the MTA doesn't care whether you make those weekend trips because you're not giving them any additional revenue. That would apply whether to anybody with an Unlimited MetroCard. Yes, if it was a choice between using the local bus or express bus, obviously they would want you to use the express bus because you're giving them more money but if you're already taking the express bus anyway, then they don't care either way. (And like BrooklynBus said, they might not even care whether you ride anything or not, no matter what you ride)

Point out to me exactly where I said that express bus riders don't matter and that I don't care either way. Did I say that? Didn't think so. :mad::tdown:

are you sure you don't have a planner that isn't limited to NYC???? I am not very strong on things MTA ya know. Except SI to an extent and strengthening weak lines.

Unfortunately, that's the only one I know. Ask her if she can connect you to a regional planner.

When did I say that?

I said that the MTA doesn't care whether you make those weekend trips because you're not giving them any additional revenue. That would apply whether to anybody with an Unlimited MetroCard. Yes, if it was a choice between using the local bus or express bus, obviously they would want you to use the express bus because you're giving them more money but if you're already taking the express bus anyway, then they don't care either way. (And like BrooklynBus said, they might not even care whether you ride anything or not, no matter what you ride)

Point out to me exactly where I said that express bus riders don't matter and that I don't care either way. Did I say that? Didn't think so. :mad::tdown:

Unfortunately, that's the only one I know. Ask her if she can connect you to a regional planner.

Fine I will try. Cool it you know how via 8 is with express buses he misunderstood ya you weren't clear thats all

When did I say that?

First off I asked in a question form, which means that your comment wasn't clear, so you should've clarified better to begin with. You're only talking about weekend usage now, but you didn't make that point before in the previous post. Aside from that like I said, I was talking about bus service in general, regardless of when, weekend or weekday local or express. Actually, I was more irritated by you bringing up express bus service, which wasn't my focal point in any shape or form.

First off I asked in a question form, which means that your comment wasn't clear, so you should've clarified better to begin with. You're only talking about weekend usage now, but you didn't make that point before in the previous post. Aside from that like I said, I was talking about bus service in general, regardless of when, weekend or weekday local or express. Actually, I was more irritated by you bringing up express bus service, which wasn't my focal point in any shape or form.

You asked in question form but then put the :mad: sign up, which implied to me that you were interpreting the comment in your own way.

And I brought up express buses for a reason: Because they're the only type of bus where somebody would realsitically be driving or taking car service to reach. I doubt somebody's going to drive to catch a local bus (unless it's something like the S53/79/93 where you can save on the toll by doing so). Therefore, the MTA is still getting the money from you (meaning any rider), so they don't care that instead of using their services for the entire distance, you're only using them for part of the distance.

You can make that statement about the subway as well (though in that case, it's more likely that people would be taking car service or getting a lift rather than driving because parking is hard around most subway stations), but the point remains the same.

Yes, I know you had no intention to discuss express bus service but it just so happened to be the type of service that best illustrated the point. Yes, it can apply to any type of service (I mean, somebody could be trying to save money and take car service or a lift for part of the distance and then a local bus the rest of the way, but that is less likely than on the express bus)

You asked in question form but then put the :mad: sign up, which implied to me that you were interpreting the comment in your own way.

lol... If I were really mad, believe me you would know. You should know by now that ":mad:" is my favourite icon B). Sometimes it's more about me being cranky than mad.

And I brought up express buses for a reason: Because they're the only type of bus where somebody would realsitically be driving or taking car service to reach. I doubt somebody's going to drive to catch a local bus (unless it's something like the S53/79/93 where you can save on the toll by doing so). Therefore, the MTA is still getting the money from you (meaning any rider), so they don't care that instead of using their services for the entire distance, you're only using them for part of the distance.

Yeah, believe it or not, people get dropped off quite a bit to catch the local on Staten Island more so than you think. The thing is a lot of folks don't like walking so some of them will catch a ride even to the local bus if they can. Of course folks driving to the express bus and taking car service is much more common. Apparently a lot of folks use cabs to the express bus on Staten Island because the driver will immediately say "Going to the express bus?" once they hear the cross streets.

Sometimes I hear the prices that some of these folks pay on Staten Island for car service and I am shocked. I mean I hear $25.00, $45.00 and this is to go relatively short distances. Some of them will even hitch a cab into Brooklyn. Last night I balked about paying $16.00 to make a stop at Chase to get cash, so I got off of the X12 there at Slosson & Victory and my cab was there. Once I found out that they wanted $16.00 I got quite cranky with the dispatcher and basically said that I refused to pay that when I had paid $11.00 in the past for the same trip, so I had the driver let me out a Chase there on Forest & Bement, got cash, paid the driver and walked home since that is basically what I do anyway if I make a stop after taking the X30 there at Duane Reade.

My main beef was that she was trying to be slick because what she was doing was trying to charge me twice: $10.00 from Slosson & Victory to Bement & Forest and then a minimum charge of $6.00 to go 4 1/2 blocks to my house from the bank. :mad::mad: No friggin' way. I mean I pay $10.00 now for a 5 minute ride basically from either the X10 or the X12 and I'm not paying $16.00 for such a short distance. I pay $12.00 to get to the X17J from the house and that's a good 10 - 15 minute ride depending on how smart the driver is in taking the back streets over to the X17J there by Morani St & Richmond. It's also $12.00 from Shop Rite to the house too, but that's only about a 10 minute ride or so down Forest.

Archived