College Of Staten Island Students Want MTA Buses To Make Dropoffs Within Their Campus

East New York

South beach riders would probably be happy to have emptier S53s if the S83 ran via Steuben but in the same sense you're passing up two semi-major stops on McClean Avenue but McClean nor Sand Lane are wide enough for limiteds to pass up locals.

If I had to choose, I would go with the via Steuben routing for the S83 because it would divide the ridership up and give people quicker rides to where they have to go. The S53 would become slightly less crowded if the S83 existed, so I think it would be able to handle South Beach on it's own at headways that are 2 minutes longer. IMO, the S52 barely runs and has low ridership in that area, so that is not a factor that should be considered when it comes to the routing of the S83.

The S83 would tremendously help those coming from Mid-Island & the north shore who need access to brooklyn currently using the only line (S53 ) that provides that service which happens to be a rather SLOW one at that. At least in other boros, there's always an alternative line somewhere nearby and probably a limited too, but in this situation the S53 is the only line and it's the busiest at that. As long as the S53 route is made shorter on the northern end while the S83 is running, I don't see why the S83 should have to make the scenic beach tour as well.

And I agree checkmate about the service gaps.. the S46 had a serious gap this morning. No St george S46 buses between Morningstar/Walker & St. George, I hope that was just some buses not showing up on the map and not having all those people freeze in the cold for a bus that was probably packed to the gills.

South beach riders would probably be happy to have emptier S53s if the S83 ran via Steuben but in the same sense you're passing up two semi-major stops on McClean Avenue but McClean nor Sand Lane are wide enough for limiteds to pass up locals.

If I had to choose, I would go with the via Steuben routing for the S83 because it would divide the ridership up and give people quicker rides to where they have to go. The S53 would become slightly less crowded if the S83 existed, so I think it would be able to handle South Beach on it's own at headways that are 2 minutes longer. IMO, the S52 barely runs and has low ridership in that area, so that is not a factor that should be considered when it comes to the routing of the S83.

The S83 would tremendously help those coming from Mid-Island & the north shore who need access to brooklyn currently using the only line (S53 ) that provides that service which happens to be a rather SLOW one at that. At least in other boros, there's always an alternative line somewhere nearby and probably a limited too, but in this situation the S53 is the only line and it's the busiest at that. As long as the S53 route is made shorter on the northern end while the S83 is running, I don't see why the S83 should have to make the scenic beach tour as well.

And I agree checkmate about the service gaps.. the S46 had a serious gap this morning. No St george S46 buses between Morningstar/Walker & St. George, I hope that was just some buses not showing up on the map and not having all those people freeze in the cold for a bus that was probably packed to the gills.

I just don't see there being that big of a savings time wise and I see an abundance of service serving the service road that is not needed. Aside from that Steuben and Hylan are both busy parts of the island too that get congested from the cars and the express buses and local buses in case the two of you forgot.

1) Oh please... The S53 is has the highest ridership in the entire borough. Service could be more frequent than what it is at some times of the day. Keep in mind that they cut back service on the S53 not that long ago and it's not like the line is losing ridership. If anything ridership is increasing.

2) As for your S83 comment, you're not going to move me with that serving the masses nonsense. What neighborhood would accept having less bus service, or better yet "tiny area" as you call it to add further insult? You may see it as speeding up the bus, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference time wise and you know it. Having it going via Stueben, via Hylan and then turning like the S79 does is an overkill in service, especially if the S79 gets its own limited stop service. You're just trying to push your agenda while telling the folks that board over by McClean Ave to take a hike because their commute doesn't matter because the commutes of everyone else along the route are more important. I think I've got it loud and clear.

As for the Bus Time thing, the best thing to do is to use lines that are already up and running. It's hard to judge anything when it isn't even complete yet. I like the B63 set up overall, and what's really nice is I don't need to do any texting and all of that. I can see everything right on my phone as if I was using my laptop. :cool: :tup:

So what if it has the highest ridership in the borough? That doesn't necessarily mean it has to have super-frequent service. It's ridership is as high as routes like the B26, M2, Bx5, etc, and so the frequencies are comparable. Besides, it's not how high ridership is number-wise, it's ridership patterns and passenger loads. The B42 and B74 have nowhere near the amount of ridership the S53 has, and yet their frequencies are comparable to (and in some cases even exceed) those of the S53. Why? It's not because the MTA favors those routes or favors Brooklyn over Staten Island or anything. It's because the ridership patterns suggest that a certain amount of service should be run.

The headways are based on demand. There's only enough demand for 10 minute service at that time of the day (in the MTA's eyes)

And no, I don't recall any reduction in service for the S53.

2) Well then let's not run the S83 then because we shouldn't be servicing the masses. The few people at the local stops shouldn't have to lose a single bus even though they're slowing down everybody else on the bus who got on at a major stop.

And let me give you an idea. In my area, the S89 has a huge gap between Christopher Lane and Forest Avenue, so basically an entire neighborhood is being bypassed. And S44 service was reduced slightly to provide service to the S89 (I'm pretty sure it used to run every 5-6 minutes and then they reduced it to 8 minutes, and then they reduced it to 10 minutes last year). I'm not going to speak about the portion of the S44 beyond Walker Street, but overall on Richmond Avenue service has become more frequent.

Not to mention that this is coming from somebody whose home stop (when I'm going to/from the North Shore, which is usually the direction I'm headed in) is bypassed by the S89, so I have to walk to the next stop to get limited-stop service. (But keep in mind that my walk to Richmond Avenue is already relatively long). I even see people from the area by Armand Street (the first stop on the X12/X42 after you turn onto Richmond Avenue) backtrack to Christopher Lane ot catch the S89.

South Beach riders would probably be happy to have emptier S53s if the S83 ran via Steuben but in the same sense you're passing up two semi-major stops on McClean Avenue but McClean nor Sand Lane are wide enough for limiteds to pass up locals.

Well, I would personally prefer to have more frequent service rather than less crowded buses, but then again, the crowding slows the bus down, so that 10 minute wait can easily become 12 minutes, which is the headway they would get anyway under this plan.

And yeah, the streets in South Beach are too narrow for the S53 to pass. It can be done with an aggressive driver (I've seen S89s pass S44s along Morningstar Road, which is just as narrow, though I think traffic is a little bit better), but it's just not worth it. That basically means that if the S83 can't pass the S53 before they reach the SIE overpass, they'll be stuck together and nobody will move anywhere.

I have seen people transfer from the S52 to the S53. On almost every trip I've been on where an S52 and S53 came together, around 3 people made the transfer, but again, it's for the greater good (and like I said, they could still transfer at Fingerboard Road)

And yeah, this afternoon, 3 S46s came together. At the time I go out, I time myself for a specific bus, which goes to the Teleport (I'm going to Mariners' Harbor, but I'm just saying the bus happens to go to the Teleport), but today, I timed myself for that bus, and a West Shore Plaza bus came instead, and then a few stops later, the Teleport bus caught up to us, plus a Mariners' Harbor bus.

I just don't see there being that big of a savings time wise and I see an abundance of service serving the service road that is not needed. Aside from that Steuben and Hylan are both busy parts of the island too that get congested from the cars and the express buses and local buses in case the two of you forgot.

The abundance of service is just a necessary evil. It's not like it's duplicating the S79 for a significant portion.

And yeah, Steuben and Hylan are both busy corridors, but I generally find they aren't too bad (and again, the buses aren't spending a long time on them anyway), not to mention that McClean Avenue is narrow and has its share of traffic as well.

Think about it this way, look at how the MTA reconfigured the Q111/Q113. Prior to the MTA-takeover and some time afterwards, that line was technically 1 route with two different destinations. The MTA took the line and expanded service on both lines and eventually introduced the Q113 Limited to give those who live further away from the subway a quicker ride. Yes, the Q113 Limited passes quite a few neighborhoods but it serves it's purpose as a Limited which is to give those who live further away a quicker ride. Anyone living in South Beach most likely wouldn't see a difference in service as long as the S53 shows up at 12 minute headways that's what matters, they still get their very quick & swift ride to Brooklyn no matter the situation as the S83 would be passing most of their stops anyway!

And maybe make the S83 different in that it makes no stops between Brooklyn & Hylan Blvd/Clove Road. For local stops, use the S53 or S79. This would actually save money for the MTA but it would be a larger benefit for the riders. :tup: :tup:

Yeah, that would definitely be comparable to the Q113 LTD reroute, where it bypassed the entire Rosedale area and left the entire area without limited-stop service (unless they walked over to the Q85), but for the riders that didn't need Rosedale (the ones traveling between Far Rockaway and the mainland of Queens), it was a large benefit, and it saved them money to boot.

As for whether it should make stops, I think it should just make the stops along the service road by Hylan Blvd and Fingerboard Road, for the connections to the express buses, as well as just to serve the area.

Yeah, that would definitely be comparable to the Q113 LTD reroute, where it bypassed the entire Rosedale area and left the entire area without limited-stop service (unless they walked over to the Q85), but for the riders that didn't need Rosedale (the ones traveling between Far Rockaway and the mainland of Queens), it was a large benefit, and it saved them money to boot.

As for whether it should make stops, I think it should just make the stops along the service road by Hylan Blvd and Fingerboard Road, for the connections to the express buses, as well as just to serve the area.

Exactly!

And having the S83 make those two stops makes sense for transfer reasons. So within 4 stops on Staten Island and you would be at the Grasmere SIR, 5 stops Park Hill/Stapleton and 7 stops and you're at Victory Blvd/Clove Road. Hopefully this will be the year the MTA makes the change!

Exactly!

And having the S83 make those two stops makes sense for transfer reasons. So within 4 stops on Staten Island and you would be at the Grasmere SIR, 5 stops Park Hill/Stapleton and 7 stops and you're at Victory Blvd/Clove Road. Hopefully this will be the year the MTA makes the change!

Well, let's keep applying the pressure. I'm trying to reach out to my elected officials, but to no avail. I'm too busy (and tired) to try for the time being, but I'll try during Regents Week and during Presidents' Week.

So what if it has the highest ridership in the borough? That doesn't necessarily mean it has to have super-frequent service. It's ridership is as high as routes like the B26, M2, Bx5, etc, and so the frequencies are comparable. Besides, it's not how high ridership is number-wise, it's ridership patterns and passenger loads. The B42 and B74 have nowhere near the amount of ridership the S53 has, and yet their frequencies are comparable to (and in some cases even exceed) those of the S53. Why? It's not because the MTA favors those routes or favors Brooklyn over Staten Island or anything. It's because the ridership patterns suggest that a certain amount of service should be run.

The headways are based on demand. There's only enough demand for 10 minute service at that time of the day (in the MTA's eyes)

And no, I don't recall any reduction in service for the S53.

2) Well then let's not run the S83 then because we shouldn't be servicing the masses. The few people at the local stops shouldn't have to lose a single bus even though they're slowing down everybody else on the bus who got on at a major stop.

And let me give you an idea. In my area, the S89 has a huge gap between Christopher Lane and Forest Avenue, so basically an entire neighborhood is being bypassed. And S44 service was reduced slightly to provide service to the S89 (I'm pretty sure it used to run every 5-6 minutes and then they reduced it to 8 minutes, and then they reduced it to 10 minutes last year). I'm not going to speak about the portion of the S44 beyond Walker Street, but overall on Richmond Avenue service has become more frequent.

Not to mention that this is coming from somebody whose home stop (when I'm going to/from the North Shore, which is usually the direction I'm headed in) is bypassed by the S89, so I have to walk to the next stop to get limited-stop service. (But keep in mind that my walk to Richmond Avenue is already relatively long). I even see people from the area by Armand Street (the first stop on the X12/X42 after you turn onto Richmond Avenue) backtrack to Christopher Lane ot catch the S89.

Well, I would personally prefer to have more frequent service rather than less crowded buses, but then again, the crowding slows the bus down, so that 10 minute wait can easily become 12 minutes, which is the headway they would get anyway under this plan.

And yeah, the streets in South Beach are too narrow for the S53 to pass. It can be done with an aggressive driver (I've seen S89s pass S44s along Morningstar Road, which is just as narrow, though I think traffic is a little bit better), but it's just not worth it. That basically means that if the S83 can't pass the S53 before they reach the SIE overpass, they'll be stuck together and nobody will move anywhere.

I have seen people transfer from the S52 to the S53. On almost every trip I've been on where an S52 and S53 came together, around 3 people made the transfer, but again, it's for the greater good (and like I said, they could still transfer at Fingerboard Road)

And yeah, this afternoon, 3 S46s came together. At the time I go out, I time myself for a specific bus, which goes to the Teleport (I'm going to Mariners' Harbor, but I'm just saying the bus happens to go to the Teleport), but today, I timed myself for that bus, and a West Shore Plaza bus came instead, and then a few stops later, the Teleport bus caught up to us, plus a Mariners' Harbor bus.

The abundance of service is just a necessary evil. It's not like it's duplicating the S79 for a significant portion.

And yeah, Steuben and Hylan are both busy corridors, but I generally find they aren't too bad (and again, the buses aren't spending a long time on them anyway), not to mention that McClean Avenue is narrow and has its share of traffic as well.

Yeah it doesn't have to be a necessary evil though. As for the narrow streets, that's not that big of a deal. When buses really want to get around they just wait until they can get around and go into the lane which usually has traffic coming down it. It's not like that's the only segment of the S53 line that has narrow streets. Lame excuse to re-route service and deny a neighborhood of limited stop service. :tdown: Of course SIR North would support it. He's north of Forest Avenue.

Like I said, I already pointed out an example where a neighborhood is bypassed by the limited-stop route (and another example is the stretch between Victory Blvd and Rockland Avenue on the S89). You could use the S84 as an example as well (no stops between Narrows Road South and New Dorp Lane if I recall correctly)

And no, it's not the only segment of the S53 that has narrow streets, but it's one of the sections that can be avoided.

At the height of rush hour, bypassing McClean Avenue (and taking the S79 route) can save 8 minutes. I think those time savings are worth it.

What I don't think you understand is that the MTA will not do it unless it's cost-neutral. So if you want those buses to serve McClean Avenue so badly, that will increase the runtime, which means they won't be able to make as many trips, which means that there's less service for everybody else on the route.

maybe I can try for you the S83 if it serves clove rd and mclean that defeats the purpose of being LTD. S89 should stay as is its purpose it LTD so it bypasses neighborhoods that is what LTDs do. S59 and 44 are local first.

Clove Road isn't the problem. Grasmere and Hylan Blvd/Clove Road are large enough stops to justify the S83 stopping at them. The thing I'm disputing is whether it should take McClean Avenue or Steuben Street to get from Hylan Blvd/Clove Road to Brooklyn.

But yes, in some instances it isn't worth serving a certain neighborhood (especially if the neighborhood would still be served by a reasonably frequent route). Like SIR North Shore said, look at the Q113 LTD! It bypasses the entire Rosedale neighborhood.

Well, let's keep applying the pressure. I'm trying to reach out to my elected officials, but to no avail. I'm too busy (and tired) to try for the time being, but I'll try during Regents Week and during Presidents' Week.

maybe I can try for you the S83 if it serves clove rd and mclean that defeats the purpose of being LTD. S89 should stay as is its purpose it LTD so it bypasses neighborhoods that is what LTDs do. S59 and 44 are local first.

Ok Via, I don't think you understand what checkmate and myself are attempting to present. I'm sure you have ridden the S53 many times, but have you ridden the S53 from north of Forest Ave through to Brooklyn almost routinely at various times of the day (Am rush, midday, pm rush & hawk)?

During early midday (9am-1130am), evening & overnight hours, the S53 takes roughly 35-40 minutes from Castleton & Broadway to Brooklyn. Around noon through the PM Rush hour & AM Rush hour, that time inflates to about an hour+ sitting or standing on the S53 because they show up packed from Port Richmond before even turning south onto Broadway. Most people are riding through to Brooklyn while others are getting on/off at the major stops. By time the bus reaches South Beach, the bus has already made a thousand stops and generally very crowded.

Now with that mentioned, if you throw the S83 into the mix, the S53 would continue to serve the same exact purpose that it does now for South Beach. South Beach riders are not losing out on anything! They live within close proximity to the bridge and the S53 is generally reliable in that area. In fact with the S83, South Beach riders will receive their own route per say, as the S53s won't be crush loaded front-to-back while traveling through the neighborhood. The S53 almost always makes every stop along McLean so I am sure it would not be appreciated if the S83 just barrels through not making any stops except at Sand Lane & Lily Pond Road. Especially with BusTime in the big picture now, there is absolutely no inconvenience for McLean riders and the S83 would not save any time over the S53 to those stops on McLean. They would just hop on any bus that leaves first and would probably walk to Sand Lane or Lily Pond, serving to only further crowd S83s instead of exclusively using the S53.

The only set of people who may be inconvenienced if you can even call it that, is anyone heading from north of Hylan/Clove and headed to a stop on McLean. They would not be able to ride a S83 via Steubuen and would be subject to the same exact commute as it is currently with the S53 but a faster, & more timely ride that is far less crowded with through-riders from the north shore & Mid-Island. If anyone needs South Beach or a local stop from Brooklyn, then the S53 is waiting there for them; the S83 would not be their bus to catch.

The S83 limited would take a bit less time to travel than a local S53 operating during the early midday (9am-1130am), evening & overnight hours. I would say about 35 minutes tops for the entire S83 route via Steuben compared to the 45-50 minutes for the local S53 covering South Beach as well. The S83 having a much shorter run-time during peak time periods would lead to cheaper costs for the MTA, and thus it would all become cost-neutral.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here.. the stops for the S83 I have in mind are

86th/4th

92nd/Fort Hamilton

1-Narrows Road/Fingerboard

2-Narrows Road/Hylan

3-Hylan/Clove

4-Grasmere SIR

5-Richmond Rd-Targee St stops

6-Clove/Howard

7-Clove/Victory

8-Broadway/Forest

9-Broadway/Cary

10-Broadway/Castleton

11-Castleton/Clove

12-Castleton/Jewett

13to15-Port Richmond stops

Roughly 16 stops on the S83 in SI compared to the thousand that the S53 makes.

Ok Via, I don't think you understand what checkmate and myself are attempting to present. I'm sure you have ridden the S53 many times, but have you ridden the S53 from north of Forest Ave through to Brooklyn almost routinely at various times of the day (Am rush, midday, pm rush & hawk)?

During early midday (9am-1130am), evening & overnight hours, the S53 takes roughly 35-40 minutes from Castleton & Broadway to Brooklyn. Around noon through the PM Rush hour & AM Rush hour, that time inflates to about an hour+ sitting or standing on the S53 because they show up packed from Port Richmond before even turning south onto Broadway. Most people are riding through to Brooklyn while others are getting on/off at the major stops. By time the bus reaches South Beach, the bus has already made a thousand stops and generally very crowded.

Now with that mentioned, if you throw the S83 into the mix, the S53 would continue to serve the same exact purpose that it does now for South Beach. South Beach riders are not losing out on anything! They live within close proximity to the bridge and the S53 is generally reliable in that area. In fact with the S83, South Beach riders will receive their own route per say, as the S53s won't be crush loaded front-to-back while traveling through the neighborhood. The S53 almost always makes every stop along McLean so I am sure it would not be appreciated if the S83 just barrels through not making any stops except at Sand Lane & Lily Pond Road. Especially with BusTime in the big picture now, there is absolutely no inconvenience for McLean riders and the S83 would not save any time over the S53 to those stops on McLean. They would just hop on any bus that leaves first and would probably walk to Sand Lane or Lily Pond, serving to only further crowd S83s instead of exclusively using the S53.

The only set of people who may be inconvenienced if you can even call it that, is anyone heading from north of Hylan/Clove and headed to a stop on McLean. They would not be able to ride a S83 via Steubuen and would be subject to the same exact commute as it is currently with the S53 but a faster, & more timely ride that is far less crowded with through-riders from the north shore & Mid-Island. If anyone needs South Beach or a local stop from Brooklyn, then the S53 is waiting there for them; the S83 would not be their bus to catch.

The S83 limited would take a bit less time to travel than a local S53 operating during the early midday (9am-1130am), evening & overnight hours. I would say about 35 minutes tops for the entire S83 route via Steuben compared to the 45-50 minutes for the local S53 covering South Beach as well. The S83 having a much shorter run-time during peak time periods would lead to cheaper costs for the MTA, and thus it would all become cost-neutral.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here.. the stops for the S83 I have in mind are

86th/4th

92nd/Fort Hamilton

1-Narrows Road/Fingerboard

2-Narrows Road/Hylan

3-Hylan/Clove

4-Grasmere SIR

5-Richmond Rd-Targee St stops

6-Clove/Howard

7-Clove/Victory

8-Broadway/Forest

9-Broadway/Cary

10-Broadway/Castleton

11-Castleton/Clove

12-Castleton/Jewett

13to15-Port Richmond stops

Roughly 16 stops on the S83 in SI compared to the thousand that the S53 makes.

I've used the S53 at all times of the day... AM rush, midday, evening rush, night time and also in the wee hours of the morning (04:00). I am re-posing my stop proposal for the S83 that I sent to the (MTA) last year...

S83 Limited Stop Service: Port Richmond to Bay Ridge

All local stops to Forest Avenue then the following limited stops:

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Howard Avenue

-Clove Rd & Richmond Rd (no stop at Clove Rd & Targee St)

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Sand Lane & McLean Avenue

-Lily Pond Ave & McLean Avenue

-Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & 92nd St

-Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & 86th St

-5th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 86th St

S83 Limited Stop Service: Bay Ridge to Port Richmond

Makes the following stops in Brooklyn after 4th Ave & 86th St:

-4th Ave & 90th St

-92nd St & Ft. Hamilton Pkwy

Makes the following stops in Staten Island:

-Lily Pond Ave & McLean Avenue

-Sand Lane & McLean Avenue

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Targee St

-Narrows Rd North & Richmond Rd

-Clove Rd & Howard Avenue

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Broadway & Forest Ave

All local stops thereafter

Pretty much agree with what SIR North Shore said. And Via, if there aren't going to be short-turns, you might as well keep it limited all the way to Port Richmond. Those little stops along Castleton Avenue are similar to those stops along Broadway and McClean Avenue, where just a few riders get on and slow down everybody else.

Pretty much agree with what SIR North Shore said. And Via, if there aren't going to be short-turns, you might as well keep it limited all the way to Port Richmond. Those little stops along Castleton Avenue are similar to those stops along Broadway and McClean Avenue, where just a few riders get on and slow down everybody else.

You could keep it limited all the way, which was my original thinking, but I was thinking about it from an (MTA) point of view in that they want ridership and I'm not sure that the S83 would be crowded enough for them making limited stops past Forest Avenue. Think about most of the other limited stop routes on Staten Island. They are not 100% limited for the entire route and they tend to make more stops for the folks that are traveling the furthest. For example, the S98 makes all local stops after Forest & Richmond.

You could keep it limited all the way, which was my original thinking, but I was thinking about it from an (MTA) point of view in that they want ridership and I'm not sure that the S83 would be crowded enough for them making limited stops past Forest Avenue. Think about most of the other limited stop routes on Staten Island. They are not 100% limited for the entire route and they tend to make more stops for the folks that are traveling the furthest. For example, the S98 makes all local stops after Forest & Richmond.

Ever hear of the S89? ;)

I mean, you have some high-ridership routes (like the S98), which run in a similar pattern, where both the local and limited run the full route, but I don't know. I think it could still save time the way the S96 saves time on that same portion. The local riders traveling a long distance could always transfer to the S46 or S53 (or the S54 in a small portion of the route), or just accept that the speed comes at the price of a longer walk. It's not like the stops are spaced too far apart anyway. Between Broadway and Port Richmond Avenue, the S96 only skips 1 or 2 local stops between each limited stop.

Archived