College Of Staten Island Students Want MTA Buses To Make Dropoffs Within Their Campus

East New York

1) I was coming home from Manhattan and passed the 20:35 S62 out of CSI (as we were going in). It had only a handful of people on it (and there were times when I had to come out late and saw that particular run and again, ridership was pretty light).

In any case, I'm sure a lot of them are riders who would've taken the S93 if it ran later. When was the last time you rode an evening S62 out of CSI?

It's been a while. Sometimes I'll hop on if I'm at Victory & Manor but of late I've been on Victory a lot and see the buses passing by. Saw an S62 this morning going to CSI around 09:17 when I was waiting for the X12. Wasn't too crowded, but then again that would make sense. Finals are probably here or over so there's not going to be too many people on the bus.

3) I guess, but they would have to be additional ones rather than diverting ones from Port Richmond.

That was my point all along. If the college would pay for them then of course they would be additional ones. Speaking of routes, the X10 actually has it's destination sign changed on some of the newer buses. Some still just say "PT RICHMOND", but others say "PT RICHMOND" "via BROADWAY", or "PT RICHMOND" "via BWAY" on the older buses. Wonder what brought that about? Could've been that my original comment about the X10B and X10C being confusing actually was mentioned by other passengers. B)

4) I have a CSI Student ID and get access to their facilities that the average person doesn't get to access, so yeah, technically I'm a part-time college student.

Oh.... Fancy... :eek:

5) As for how the bus should serve the college (going completely around or just going to 1P), I don't know what the college students want, so I was discussing what other members of this forum want.

But that was the whole point of the thread... To discuss what the college students want. LOL

6) Probably because the MTA wants to keep a certain amount of service further down on Victory Blvd (I mean, if they cut those short-turns, you'd have 30 minute service up until Jewett Avenue, which I can't see looking too pretty. ;) )

Yeah and Victory Blvd is a major artery on Staten Island.

10) Well, the point is that there's really no way to straighten them out. If you do that, then you're taking away express service from entire communities (ones that actually use their express service).

That's your point now. You were the one arguing that they don't meander when they clearly do for that sole reason... Providing service to communities that would otherwise not have express bus service near them.

I don't wanna make this semantical, but as far as the x22 goes, personally I wouldn't use the term meander to describe it.... But straight-forward down in Tottenville, it is definitely not.... I'd describe the x23 routing as that of being a meandering one (even though it does work for those folks).....

---------

As far as the original topic at hand.... I haven't been to CSI since my senior yr. of HS when us Grady electronic engineering students were invited there towards the end of that school year (spring, '99)....

So my questions are:

1) how frequently are these shuttle buses running throughout the day?

2) do they meet up (schedule-wise, that is) w/ the S62 or S93 ?

3) how many of these buses are waiting to pick up students at any one time?

(since the students' claim is that, the buses are so crowded) ?

1) It's been a while. Sometimes I'll hop on if I'm at Victory & Manor but of late I've been on Victory a lot and see the buses passing by. Saw an S62 this morning going to CSI around 09:17 when I was waiting for the X12. Wasn't too crowded, but then again that would make sense. Finals are probably here or over so there's not going to be too many people on the bus.

2) That was my point all along. If the college would pay for them then of course they would be additional ones. Speaking of routes, the X10 actually has it's destination sign changed on some of the newer buses. Some still just say "PT RICHMOND", but others say "PT RICHMOND" "via BROADWAY", or "PT RICHMOND" "via BWAY" on the older buses. Wonder what brought that about? Could've been that my original comment about the X10B and X10C being confusing actually was mentioned by other passengers. B)

3) Oh.... Fancy... :eek:

4) But that was the whole point of the thread... To discuss what the college students want. LOL

5) Yeah and Victory Blvd is a major artery on Staten Island.

6) That's your point now. You were the one arguing that they don't meander when they clearly do for that sole reason... Providing service to communities that would otherwise not have express bus service near them.

1) Ah, but then how do you know how many people get off at Clove Road if you only see them at Manor Road? B)

2) As far as the first comment goes, it makes sense. As for the new signs, I don't really see the point, because nobody's riding X10s within Manhattan. I'd find it more useful if they put down "via Narrows Road North", so people know from a distance whether it's actually stopping there.

3) And that would explain all the time I spend down at the library. I tell you, it's so much easier than going to the public library. You get longer hours (they're open until midnight) and you can stay on the computers as long as you want.

4) Well, if they could, I'm sure the college students would want every bus in the area to go completely around the campus and stop at all the stops the loop bus stops at. Obviously, that can't happen, so it has to be a compromise between what they want and what is actually feasable.

5) True.

6) To me, meandering is what the X23 does, where it basically doubles back and serves the same neighborhood twice. I don't know what you'd call the X22 and X30, but they aren't really meandering. They're just not straightforward.

And in any case, there's really nothing that can be done. As we've agreed, it's really the only way to give certain neighborhoods express service in a cost-efficient manner.

1) I don't wanna make this semantical, but as far as the x22 goes, personally I wouldn't use the term meander to describe it.... But straight-forward down in Tottenville, it is definitely not.... I'd describe the x23 routing as that of being a meandering one (even though it does work for those folks).....

---------

2) As far as the original topic at hand.... I haven't been to CSI since my senior yr. of HS when us Grady electronic engineering students were invited there towards the end of that school year (spring, '99)....

So my questions are:

1) how frequently are these shuttle buses running throughout the day?

2) do they meet up (schedule-wise, that is) w/ the S62 or S93 ?

3) how many of these buses are waiting to pick up students at any one time?

(since the students' claim is that, the buses are so crowded) ?

1) That was my thinking too.

2) The buses that loop within the campus run every 10 minutes when classes are in session, from 07:00-23:00. When classes aren't in session, they run every 20 minutes from (I believe) 09:00-17:00 (I know they end at 17:00, but I don't know when they start)

The buses to the ferry run every 20 minutes when classes are in session, and I don't think they run when classes aren't in session (they have a 1 bus schedule and a 3 bus schedule, and I'm not sure when the 1 bus schedule operates. 1 bus would mean it runs every 60 or 75 minutes). I'm 99% sure they don't run weekends.

As far as meeting up with the buses, it's hit-or-miss. If the shuttle bus driver sees a bus pulling in, they'll generally wait. The reverse way, if people see a bus waiting at the stop, they'll just run for it. There are plenty of times when the local bus is about to pull out, and you hear people tapping on the window who ran from the shuttle bus (if the B/O hears them tapping, of course he'll open the door, but he'll only wait if he sees you running)

3) To me, they aren't crowded because there's usually a couple of seats left over. I have yet to see anybody standing, but in any case:

If it's a 2 bus schedule (10 minute service), you'll see one bus pull out, and then another bus will show up a minute later (of course, this can vary slightly. Sometimes it's a couple of minutes before the next bus shows up and other times the second bus will pull up before the first bus leaves), but they'll layover for 9 minutes before pulling out.

When there's 20 minute service (1 bus), there will just be one bus sitting there, and then you'll see no buses waiting for 11 minutes, and then the same bus will come and layover for 9 minutes before leaving again.

During the weekends, B/Os seem to be more lax with adherance to the schedule. There are a few times when I've waited close to 20 minutes without seeing any bus, so I don't know what the deal was with that (maybe the B/O was on a lunch break or something, since it was the middle of the day)

I'm at CSI right now (my "home away from home", as VG8 would say. B) ). I just checked the schedule:

The loop bus is every 20 minutes when CSI isn't open, from 07:00-17:20. When class is in session, it's from 07:00-23:30 (I'm 99% sure it isn't 23:00. I can't believe I checked it 10 minutes ago and forgot.)

The CSI-ferry shuttle is every 30 minutes when class is in session, leaving the terminals on the :05s and :35s. When classes aren't in session, they leave every 60 minutes (departing St. George on the :05s and CSI on the :35s). Weekends there's no service.

I can't believe I checked it 20 minutes ago and forgot the hours already (where's that facepalm when you need it?), but I think it leaves St. George from 07:35-22:35 and CSI from 08:05-23:05.

• 3 weeks later...
Gee, the S93 info is extremely out of date. The bus no longer runs every two hours....

Thankfully it has more service today but there's definitely room for improvement.

LOL. I noticed that too (unless they suddenly reduced the service. :eek: :P )

And they say that "they're working on adding more service". I wonder if they're still doing that, or they're referring to the service that was added since 2001 (considering how out of date the page is, I'm guessing it's the latter)

Yeah, if you find old S93 schedules you will see how much less frequently it used to run.

For example: the PM trips leaving CSI would be something like this: 3:00, 4:55, 5:10, 7:00,

but as it was said, it's better that it has more service now.

Actually, when it first started, there were just 3 departures in the PM: 3PM, 5PM, and 7PM. The AM had 3 departures at 6:55, 7:55, and 8:55, and later they added an 8:45 one (and then they slowly expanded it and added reverse-peak service so it is what you see today)

I posted on SubChat about later S93 service from CSI to Brooklyn, and I thought I'd post it here:

Current S93 service from CSI to Brooklyn (evenings only):

3:00, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 5:50, 6:15, 6:45, 7:15, 7:45 (13 trips)

My proposed S93 Limited operating hours:

3:15, 3:45, 4:10, 4:30, 4:50, 5:10, 5:30, 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, 6:35, 7:00, 7:30 (13 trips, then five trips afterwards) 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:00 (18 trips total)

To give the S93 this extra service, the S53 can be adjusted between 7:00 - 10:00 in which its frequency is 8-12 minutes and have it decreased to 10-15 minutes. I'd probably tinker with the S62 as well, adjusting its frequency during the evening from 15-20 minutes to 20-30 minutes between 7 and 10.

I posted on SubChat about later S93 service from CSI to Brooklyn, and I thought I'd post it here:

Current S93 service from CSI to Brooklyn (evenings only):

3:00, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 5:50, 6:15, 6:45, 7:15, 7:45 (13 trips)

My proposed S93 Limited operating hours:

3:15, 3:45, 4:10, 4:30, 4:50, 5:10, 5:30, 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, 6:35, 7:00, 7:30 (13 trips, then five trips afterwards) 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:00 (18 trips total)

To give the S93 this extra service, the S53 can be adjusted between 7:00 - 10:00 in which its frequency is 8-12 minutes and have it decreased to 10-15 minutes. I'd probably tinker with the S62 as well, adjusting its frequency during the evening from 15-20 minutes to 20-30 minutes between 7 and 10.

Bad idea... I would strongly oppose any reductions to the S53 during that time period. That's part of my main gripe with the (MTA) as it is. Everybody north of Victory Blvd on that line gets shafted. No limited stop service and not nearly as much frequencies as we should have. :tdown::tdown:

I also wouldn't decrease service on the S62 either. I do believe that service should be increased, but why can't CSI allocate more funds for that????

The heck, you can't wait an extra two-three minutes for a bus?

Now, I'm not all big in the reduction of one service for the increase of another service. But I could be wrong because the demand for the S93 later in the evening is there. The last classes at CSI let out at around 9:30 and that 9:52 S62 at CSI often sits for over two minutes letting people on, and almost all of those people that got on at CSI get off at Seneca Avenue (the stop before Clove) for the S53. Now imagine if that was an S93.

The heck, you can't wait an extra two-three minutes for a bus?

Now, I'm not all big in the reduction of one service for the increase of another service. But I could be wrong because the demand for the S93 later in the evening is there. The last classes at CSI let out at around 9:30 and that 9:52 S62 at CSI often sits for over two minutes letting people on, and almost all of those people that got on at CSI get off at Seneca Avenue (the stop before Clove) for the S53. Now imagine if that was an S93.

Sounds minor, but the S53 can bunch up easily so that those buses that would be taken away would not be good. If anything turn these S93s into "S83s" and let them run the full route of the S53 once they reach Victory & Clove, making limited stops of course. You can't tell me that there's that much need for the S93 along the service road at that time. It would be much better used along Hylan Blvd and etc., using the limited bus stops I outlined in my proposal for the S83 to the (MTA) a few months ago. If they did that and worked to resolve the bunching problem, I wouldn't mind it, this way the big stops would be helped by the S93s, alleviating pressure on the S53 and making it faster for those who don't benefit north of Victory since they would have no limited stop service.

Sounds minor, but the S53 can bunch up easily so that those buses that would be taken away would not be good. If anything turn these S93s into "S83s" and let them run the full route of the S53 once they reach Victory & Clove, making limited stops of course. You can't tell me that there's that much need for the S93 along the service road at that time. It would be much better used along Hylan Blvd and etc., using the limited bus stops I outlined in my proposal for the S83 to the (MTA) a few months ago. If they did that and worked to resolve the bunching problem, I wouldn't mind it, this way the big stops would be helped by the S93s, alleviating pressure on the S53 and making it faster for those who don't benefit north of Victory since they would have no limited stop service.

The thing is that Brooklyn-bound ridership north of Victory Blvd isn't too high at that time, and there isn't enough ridership overall to extend the S83's hours (I'd have it run until 19:00), or even really to run more frequent S53 service (better than the 12 minute headway it has now). The S93 idea would be good, unless they could somehow try and time the S62 to meet the S53.

By the way, I think the S83 should bypass McClean Avenue altogether, and just take the S79 route between Clove Road/Hylan Blvd and Brooklyn. The savings generated might be enough to add a little bit of local service, so riders along McClean Avenue don't have to worry too much about locals being bunched up.

My original plan (for middays) was 15 minute service on the local and 20 minute service on the limited. With this plan, you could probably have 12 minute service on the local and 20 minute service on the limited for the same price.

Rush hour service would be every 15 minutes each, so the local could run every 12 minutes instead (Ugh. Now I have to go back and revise the schedule I put up)

The thing is that Brooklyn-bound ridership north of Victory Blvd isn't too high at that time, and there isn't enough ridership overall to extend the S83's hours (I'd have it run until 19:00), or even really to run more frequent S53 service (better than the 12 minute headway it has now). The S93 idea would be good, unless they could somehow try and time the S62 to meet the S53.

By the way, I think the S83 should bypass McClean Avenue altogether, and just take the S79 route between Clove Road/Hylan Blvd and Brooklyn. The savings generated might be enough to add a little bit of local service, so riders along McClean Avenue don't have to worry too much about locals being bunched up.

My original plan (for middays) was 15 minute service on the local and 20 minute service on the limited. With this plan, you could probably have 12 minute service on the local and 20 minute service on the limited for the same price.

Rush hour service would be every 15 minutes each, so the local could run every 12 minutes instead (Ugh. Now I have to go back and revise the schedule I put up)

Tsk tsk tsk.... Somebody didn't understand my post... ;) I said I would have those S93s turn into "S83s" once they reached Clove & Victory... The point is that I don't see the S93 having enough ridership to function solely as an S93 at that time of night going to Brooklyn. I use the X10 going to the city at that time of night from time to time and we don't pick up very many people along the service road. Having that many S93s running at that time would have to be justified in order to keep the service around and the only thing I can think of is to have it function as an S83 once it finishes its portion of the S93 run along Victory and then turns on Clove. It could still say S93, but have different signage to make it clear that it was running as a limited stop bus via the normal S53 routing going to Brooklyn (again excluding anything north of Victory Blvd).

As for that McClean stop, I'm sorry, but there is enough ridership there to justify having an S83 stop there. Aside from that that stop is a connecting stop for the S52 and you also have the express buses there on Father Capodanno, even though I doubt many folks use the S53 to transfer to those particular express buses, but still. The more options the better.

Tsk tsk tsk.... Somebody didn't understand my post... :( I said I would have those S93s turn into "S83s" once they reached Clove & Victory... The point is that I don't see the S93 having enough ridership to function solely as an S93 at that time of night going to Brooklyn. I use the X10 going to the city at that time of night from time to time and we don't pick up very many people along the service road. Having that many S93s running at that time would have to be justified in order to keep the service around and the only thing I can think of is to have it function as an S83 once it finishes its portion of the S93 run along Victory and then turns on Clove. It could still say S93, but have different signage to make it clear that it was running as a limited stop bus via the normal S53 routing going to Brooklyn (again excluding anything north of Victory Blvd).

As for that McClean stop, I'm sorry, but there is enough ridership there to justify having an S83 stop there. Aside from that that stop is a connecting stop for the S52 and you also have the express buses there on Father Capodanno, even though I doubt many folks use the S53 to transfer to those particular express buses, but still. The more options the better.

That is no different than a modified S93.

Tsk tsk tsk.... Somebody didn't understand my post... :( I said I would have those S93s turn into "S83s" once they reached Clove & Victory... The point is that I don't see the S93 having enough ridership to function solely as an S93 at that time of night going to Brooklyn. I use the X10 going to the city at that time of night from time to time and we don't pick up very many people along the service road. Having that many S93s running at that time would have to be justified in order to keep the service around and the only thing I can think of is to have it function as an S83 once it finishes its portion of the S93 run along Victory and then turns on Clove. It could still say S93, but have different signage to make it clear that it was running as a limited stop bus via the normal S53 routing going to Brooklyn (again excluding anything north of Victory Blvd).

Oh, well in that case yeah, it's definitely more justifiable to have it run down Clove Road rather than the SIE service road. They could just have an asterisk on the schedule or something indicating that it runs via Clove Road (calling it "S93A" would be confusing because it wouldn't run at the same time as the S93, and they could modify the signage to read "via Victory Blvd, via Clove Road" like you said)

And the thing is that it takes longer via McClean Avenue than Hylan Blvd. There are more traffic lights and the street is narrower. Besides, most of the ridership is at the limited stops (the local stops usually only get 1 or 2 people that can sometimes take forever to pick up or drop-off), so this would act as a sort of ridership distribution so the limiteds don't get too crowded.

By the way, I saw more brochures on the S89 coming back, but none on the S46.

That is no different than a modified S93.

Your point? Modified S93, S93 turning into an S83, the point was he was trying to explain what he would do because I was confused when he mentioned riders north of Victory Blvd. However they want to put up the sign is fine by me.

Oh, well in that case yeah, it's definitely more justifiable to have it run down Clove Road rather than the SIE service road. They could just have an asterisk on the schedule or something indicating that it runs via Clove Road (calling it "S93A" would be confusing because it wouldn't run at the same time as the S93, and they could modify the signage to read "via Victory Blvd, via Clove Road" like you said)

And the thing is that it takes longer via McClean Avenue than Hylan Blvd. There are more traffic lights and the street is narrower. Besides, most of the ridership is at the limited stops (the local stops usually only get 1 or 2 people that can sometimes take forever to pick up or drop-off), so this would act as a sort of ridership distribution so the limiteds don't get too crowded.

By the way, I saw more brochures on the S89 coming back, but none on the S46.

Yeah, I saw Bus Time ads on some of the Prevosts today while heading to Whole Foods... Two X7s I believe between 15:00 and 16:00 (I know late lunch :(). The thing that's annoying is no actual date anywhere. Just says January 2012, which means they can delay it for the whole month if they want. :mad: I e-mailed about it but I'm still awaiting an answer.

As for the S53, that's the thing though. The fact that the S52 stops there on Sand Lane can justify it being a limited bus stop. That would be the only stop until it reaches Lily Pond Av.

Yeah, I saw Bus Time ads on some of the Prevosts today while heading to Whole Foods... Two X7s I believe between 15:00 and 16:00 (I know late lunch :(). The thing that's annoying is no actual date anywhere. Just says January 2012, which means they can delay it for the whole month if they want. :mad: I e-mailed about it but I'm still awaiting an answer.

As for the S53, that's the thing though. The fact that the S52 stops there on Sand Lane can justify it being a limited bus stop. That would be the only stop until it reaches Lily Pond Av.

They could still transfer at Fingerboard Road/Narrows Road. I mean, you're definitely inconveniencing some people, but the time saved by taking the faster, more direct route is worth it IMO. Plus, like I said, it allows for more frequent service to be run along the line as a whole.

Like I said, during middays, I figure the MTA could run the S53 every 15 minutes and the S83 every 20 minutes and it would cost them roughly the same as it does now. With this, you could probably get S53 service down to every 12 minutes, which is only a little bit more than the 10 minute service they have now (and the buses will be less crowded and more reliable because of the limited)

And check the BusTime website. I heard on SubChat that they have a few routes up already (it doesn't seem to work on my computer. All I see is a zoomable image of the 5 boroughs and the areas in NJ that are near us)

And hey, a late lunch is better than no lunch. Generally I'll eat a large breakfast and a large dinner and just skip lunch.

They could still transfer at Fingerboard Road/Narrows Road. I mean, you're definitely inconveniencing some people, but the time saved by taking the faster, more direct route is worth it IMO. Plus, like I said, it allows for more frequent service to be run along the line as a whole.

Like I said, during middays, I figure the MTA could run the S53 every 15 minutes and the S83 every 20 minutes and it would cost them roughly the same as it does now. With this, you could probably get S53 service down to every 12 minutes, which is only a little bit more than the 10 minute service they have now (and the buses will be less crowded and more reliable because of the limited)

And check the BusTime website. I heard on SubChat that they have a few routes up already (it doesn't seem to work on my computer. All I see is a zoomable image of the 5 boroughs and the areas in NJ that are near us)

And hey, a late lunch is better than no lunch. Generally I'll eat a large breakfast and a large dinner and just skip lunch.

LOL... Still bad idea... That one stop isn't going to make that much of a difference time wise and the S53 travels down narrow roads for much of it's commute so that's a lame excuse as to why a community shouldn't have a limited stop bus stop there.

Also, you seem to be underestimating how crowded the S53 can get during the midday. I would run the S83 with more than 20 minutes of frequency and I would cut back the S53s to maybe 12 minutes. The line really can't afford any cut back. It needs all of the service that it has particularly because any delay in the line causes a mess. It's much like the X1 in that way, so the service needs to be done in a way that maintains the same level of buses and perhaps adds a few here and there. I still believe that the morning frequencies should be increased slightly to every 8 minutes because they have them scheduled every 10 minutes and they're never on time. More like almost every 15 minutes which leads to uneven loading and bunching. Part of it may be because of the check point there on Hylan Blvd.

LOL... Still bad idea... That one stop isn't going to make that much of a difference time wise and the S53 travels down narrow roads for much of it's commute so that's a lame excuse as to why a community shouldn't have a limited stop bus stop there.

Also, you seem to be underestimating how crowded the S53 can get during the midday. I would run the S83 with more than 20 minutes of frequency and I would cut back the S53s to maybe 12 minutes. The line really can't afford any cut back. It needs all of the service that it has particularly because any delay in the line causes a mess. It's much like the X1 in that way, so the service needs to be done in a way that maintains the same level of buses and perhaps adds a few here and there. I still believe that the morning frequencies should be increased slightly to every 8 minutes because they have them scheduled every 10 minutes and they're never on time. More like almost every 15 minutes which leads to uneven loading and bunching. Part of it may be because of the check point there on Hylan Blvd.

It travels down narrow roads, and that's why it has the problems it does. You take it off one of those narrow roads and you've alleviated one of those problems.

And no, I've rode the S53 during the midday and in case you haven't realized, the combined S53 + S83 frequencies comes out to 7 buses per hour (about 8.5 minutes on average), vs. 6 right now (10 minute headways). Routing the S83 down Steuben Street would result in the S53 being able to get additional service for the same cost, so you have 12 minute service (5 buses per hour) plus 20 minute service (3 buses per hour) is 8 buses per hour, or a bus every 7.5 minutes which is even better (of course, this is assuming they try to space the buses out). If you're going to get greedy and ask for too much service, they'll deny the whole proposal and you'll have nothing. Lowball it and they can always add more service later.

It travels down narrow roads, and that's why it has the problems it does. You take it off one of those narrow roads and you've alleviated one of those problems.

And no, I've rode the S53 during the midday and in case you haven't realized, the combined S53 + S83 frequencies comes out to 7 buses per hour (about 8.5 minutes on average), vs. 6 right now (10 minute headways). Routing the S83 down Steuben Street would result in the S53 being able to get additional service for the same cost, so you have 12 minute service (5 buses per hour) plus 20 minute service (3 buses per hour) is 8 buses per hour, or a bus every 7.5 minutes which is even better (of course, this is assuming they try to space the buses out). If you're going to get greedy and ask for too much service, they'll deny the whole proposal and you'll have nothing. Lowball it and they can always add more service later.

I'm not getting greedy at all. I'm just saying you can't cut back too much on regular service. I still disagree with the routing of the S83. The whole point is to speed up the ride for passengers along the ENTIRE S53 route, not divert the friggin' line over by the S79 as if those passengers towards the Verrazano wouldn't benefit from the service improvement. :mad:

So cutting back from 10 minutes to 12 minutes (while adding service on other portions of the route) is cutting too much on the regular service? Keep in mind that even at 12 minute headways, it's still one of the most frequent routes in SI.

And how do those riders by McClean Avenue not benefit if they have less crowded buses? They have to wait an extra couple of minutes, but it's still not bad compared to other routes, and keep in mind that mass transit is supposed to serve the masses. If you're slowing down the route for everybody else so one little section can have some extra service, that's pointless.

By the way, I'm playing around with the BusTime thing in school and it's pretty cool. I hope it's used to monitor bus bunching and things like that, because I'm seeing some pretty large gaps in some areas. :eek: It looks like most of the service is pretty close to schedule, though. The gaps are probably just the regular frequency (of course, I'm not checking the regular schedules to verify, but offhand it doesn't look too bad).

So cutting back from 10 minutes to 12 minutes (while adding service on other portions of the route) is cutting too much on the regular service? Keep in mind that even at 12 minute headways, it's still one of the most frequent routes in SI.

And how do those riders by McClean Avenue not benefit if they have less crowded buses? They have to wait an extra couple of minutes, but it's still not bad compared to other routes, and keep in mind that mass transit is supposed to serve the masses. If you're slowing down the route for everybody else so one little section can have some extra service, that's pointless.

By the way, I'm playing around with the BusTime thing in school and it's pretty cool. I hope it's used to monitor bus bunching and things like that, because I'm seeing some pretty large gaps in some areas. :eek: It looks like most of the service is pretty close to schedule, though. The gaps are probably just the regular frequency (of course, I'm not checking the regular schedules to verify, but offhand it doesn't look too bad).

Oh please... The S53 is has the highest ridership in the entire borough. Service could be more frequent than what it is at some times of the day. Keep in mind that they cut back service on the S53 not that long ago and it's not like the line is losing ridership. If anything ridership is increasing.

As for your S83 comment, you're not going to move me with that serving the masses nonsense. What neighborhood would accept having less bus service, or better yet "tiny area" as you call it to add further insult? You may see it as speeding up the bus, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference time wise and you know it. Having it going via Stueben, via Hylan and then turning like the S79 does is an overkill in service, especially if the S79 gets its own limited stop service. You're just trying to push your agenda while telling the folks that board over by McClean Ave to take a hike because their commute doesn't matter because the commutes of everyone else along the route are more important. I think I've got it loud and clear.

As for the Bus Time thing, the best thing to do is to use lines that are already up and running. It's hard to judge anything when it isn't even complete yet. I like the B63 set up overall, and what's really nice is I don't need to do any texting and all of that. I can see everything right on my phone as if I was using my laptop. :cool: :tup:

Archived