College Of Staten Island Students Want MTA Buses To Make Dropoffs Within Their Campus

East New York

CSI_MTA_busesea2d0038-5d53-4b90-b896-61c732f29614.jpg

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus that brings College of Staten Island freshman Desean Mullings to the Willowbrook campus drops him off at the college's doorstep. But that is nearly three-quarters of a mile from where most of his classes are held.

"It's like you're so close but so far at the same time," says Mullings.

Many other CSI students say that mass transit leaves them far from their classes.

"Getting to class on time is a nuisance when you're taking the bus, especially because the bus does not drop you off in the middle of campus, it drops you off all the way at the outskirts," says Kevin Storberg, the student body president. "That additional transfer can mean the difference between you being half an hour late to a final or you being there on time or even early."

CSI spends $600,000 a year on its own so-called loop buses to shuttle students to the center of campus, but students say they are always crowded.

School officials point to an increase in enrollments and are now asking the MTA to help out with what they call a "simple" improvement to existing service. The two routes serving CSI could be extended into the campus, so students can be dropped off closer to where they need to go.

They say asking a bus driver to make a loop around campus to make just one stop would make a world of difference to students.

For more information and NY1 video, please visit:

College Of Staten Island Students Want MTA Buses To Make Dropoffs Within Their Campus - NY1.com

Living in the general area (and taking a few College Now classes at CSI), I think I'm qualified to speak on this matter.

I 100% oppose any buses going to Travis going deeper into CSI. Living west of Richmond Avenue, I can definitely understand the negative impacts it would have on those riders. Going to the ferry, that 5 minute diversion can mean the difference between making and missing a ferry (and I've been on my share of buses that made the ferry by only a couple of minutes). Going back, you're just making them sit through that diversion, which discourages ridership from points west of CSI.

Now, if there was no loop bus, maybe it would be a different story, but since there is one there, the solution is to try and increase service on it. Right now, the bus drivers get a 9 minute layover and an 11 minute runtime, and the buses run every 10 minutes (on the weekends, there's only one bus, and it runs every 20 minutes). If they reduced the layover time to 4 minutes, CSI could get 7.5 minute service out of the buses with no problem. If they add a third bus, they could get 5 minute service on the shuttle bus, which should be enough to make good connections with the buses at the front gate.

Not to mention, there's a bus that goes directly to the ferry from the 1P building in the center of the campus (though it might end up being eliminated, but still I think the best solution would be to just add more shuttle bus service)

As for the S62 buses that short-turn at CSI and the S93 buses, yeah it would be nice if they could go deeper into the college, but the thing is that there are other service needs they could be used to fill. I wanted the S93 extended to Arlington to fill a service gap (along the SIE service road) and, while I figured out a new route to fill the same service gap, the new route would be more expensive, and I'd be leery about sending the S93 deeper into the college before that service gap is filled.

For the S62, it depends on the situation. In the PM rush, it seems as if half turn back around to go to St. George, and half deadhead to the depot (they used to come out of Castleton, but now they come out of Yukon). The deaheading buses could serve 1P at virtually no extra cost (and then come out the Forest Hill Road exit and either go straight to the depot or provide additional service along the S61 route to the SI Mall). I'm not sure if it's a good idea to send the ones that are going to turn back around deeper into CSI.

As far as the shuttle buses being crowded, that's a load of BS. There are times when most of the seats were taken, but I ride it fairly often and have yet to see any standees (also, somehow you come off an S62 or S93 with standees and yet the shuttle bus with a seated load is somehow considered packed? Go figure)

The ONLY (MTA)(NYCT) buses that SHOULD go into & around the campus' Loop Rd dropping-off/picking-up students, faculty, & campus employees are...

Living in the general area (and taking a few College Now classes at CSI), I think I'm qualified to speak on this matter.

I 100% oppose any buses going to Travis going deeper into CSI. Living west of Richmond Avenue, I can definitely understand the negative impacts it would have on those riders. Going to the ferry, that 5 minute diversion can mean the difference between making and missing a ferry (and I've been on my share of buses that made the ferry by only a couple of minutes). Going back, you're just making them sit through that diversion, which discourages ridership from points west of CSI.

Now, if there was no loop bus, maybe it would be a different story, but since there is one there, the solution is to try and increase service on it. Right now, the bus drivers get a 9 minute layover and an 11 minute runtime, and the buses run every 10 minutes (on the weekends, there's only one bus, and it runs every 20 minutes). If they reduced the layover time to 4 minutes, CSI could get 7.5 minute service out of the buses with no problem. If they add a third bus, they could get 5 minute service on the shuttle bus, which should be enough to make good connections with the buses at the front gate.

Not to mention, there's a bus that goes directly to the ferry from the 1P building in the center of the campus (though it might end up being eliminated, but still I think the best solution would be to just add more shuttle bus service)

...buses which end/start from CSI anyway, such as the (93) & a percentage of (62)s.

My stance on this is quite simple....

Leave the school campus diversions for suburban routes......

Agreed. This is not SUNY Purchase or CW Post. If anything only the (S93) and maybe short turn (S62)starting/ending at Richmond Ave/Forest should be considered. Not endorsing it but let CSI and their students pay for the (MTA) to serve the loop.

Also the 'loop" if ever occurs on the CSI campus should be only during normal school hours i.e 8am-8pm weekdays and Saturdays 9am-5pm. Never should a (S62) full route between the Ferry and Travis 'loop' inside CSI especially on Sundays and overnights when no classes are held.

As an 1-time Kingsborough college student, the terminal for the (B1) and (B49) can be as much as 1/2 mile from the Oriental Blvd stop and yet I don't hear them screaming to extend it to the heart of the KCC campus.

As an 1-time Kingsborough college student, the terminal for the (B1) and (B49) can be as much as 1/2 mile from the Oriental Blvd stop and yet I don't hear them screaming to extend it to the heart of the KCC campus.

They do not want the buses. I believe the MTA wanted to extend the buses into campus at one point.

I agree with the others. Only the S93 and select S62s that start at CSI should do the loop. The S93 is clearly geared for CSI students since their final stop is there so why not do the loop? Other than that nothing more. CSI should be forking over more money if they're getting more enrollments instead of trying to hoard the money. If they spend more money, they'll look to pass on more costs to the students. Typical and disturbing.

Also if CSI students want a faster commute, use the X10. You can't expect the road to paved with gold when you only have silver. B) Where is the student representative in this issue? At my university, we had better bus service to the mall and other places because WE paid for it, which is what should be happening w/CSI. If transportation is so important to CSI students then the student representatives can have more monies set aside for transit issues and the college can also fork over some money; be it for the private bus service, or the (MTA) bus services (maybe students can get a discount on the express bus or they can give the (MTA) monies to extend the S93 and select S62s serving the college). I know student discounts were ended to my knowledge, but I'm sure the (MTA) would be willing to work something out if it means more money for them, esp. since they claim they're broke. I would NOT however extend any express buses into the college, so the X10s would keep their normal route, not unless their final destination was CSI. They could extend those X10s into the college.

I think the S93 should just be extended into the College, not the other routes. The majority of the students that don't have cars use that route anyway. As for the S62 short turns at CSI, I don't think it's really needed since the ferry shuttle already kinda does that job since it stops near 1P.

The S93 is a better candidate because since many students use it to go the college, but I think it should just make the loop around 1P similar the the ferry shuttle rather than going around the entire campus.

I think the S93 should just be extended into the College, not the other routes. The majority of the students that don't have cars use that route anyway. As for the S62 short turns at CSI, I don't think it's really needed since the ferry shuttle already kinda does that job since it stops near 1P.

The S93 is a better candidate because since many students use it to go the college, but I think it should just make the loop around 1P similar the the ferry shuttle rather than going around the entire campus.

But since they already have short turned S62s then why not have them do the loop? If they're starting at CSI then they're clearly geared for CSI students. I would also turn some of those S62s into S92s. The S93 shouldn't be the only quick option for these folks if the (MTA) is already providing what are basically S62 shuttles from CSI to the ferry. Sure they make all of the local stops, but let's be real here. We all know that those CSI S62s are really for the students.

Blitz's official opinion - you wanna be on time for classes and exams?? LEAVE YOUR HOUSE EARLIER!!! before i got this job, i worked an hour and a half away from where i lived for 2 years. And in those 2 years, I was late only once due to forces beyond my control. Stop being lazy or fork over the cash for the added service.

Blitz's official opinion - you wanna be on time for classes and exams?? LEAVE YOUR HOUSE EARLIER!!! before i got this job, i worked an hour and a half away from where i lived for 2 years. And in those 2 years, I was late only once due to forces beyond my control. Stop being lazy or fork over the cash for the added service.

In their defense, how much time should they leave? I give myself an extra half hour to get to work, since my commute to Midtown should be about an hour. Service on Staten Island is erratic to put it kindly and I do have a problem with folks like you calling others lazy for wanting efficient service. Should they pay more for the additional service? No question about that, but the service should be efficient as well.

But since they already have short turned S62s then why not have them do the loop? If they're starting at CSI then they're clearly geared for CSI students. I would also turn some of those S62s into S92s. The S93 shouldn't be the only quick option for these folks if the (MTA) is already providing what are basically S62 shuttles from CSI to the ferry. Sure they make all of the local stops, but let's be real here. We all know that those CSI S62s are really for the students.

Agreed. All buses that originate at the college should do the loop. The S93 should have half-hourly midday and about one more hour of evening service.

In their defense, how much time should they leave? I give myself an extra half hour to get to work, since my commute to Midtown should be about an hour. Service on Staten Island is erratic to put it kindly and I do have a problem with folks like you calling others lazy for wanting efficient service. Should they pay more for the additional service? No question about that, but the service should be efficient as well.

Ok hot shot what will expres bus service look like under your control?

What improvements should be made to north shore express service tell me in detail? which routes should be enhanced and to what service level and why?

How would you modify travel paths of some lines to become faster and more direct?

What improvements should be made to north shore express service tell me in detail? which routes should be enhanced and to what service level and why?

How would you modify travel paths of some lines to become faster and more direct?

Oh hell no! This thread doesn't have shit to do with any ******* express routes! Get on topic, or get the **** out of this thread. Real soon, I'm just start going to go hard on your ass. But you won't learn until you are banned permanently..... Then it will be too late!

Now we return to our regularly scheduled program.

Oh hell no! This thread doesn't have shit to do with any ******* express routes! Get on topic, or get the **** out of this thread. Real soon, I'm just start going to go hard on your ass. But you won't learn until you are banned permanently..... Then it will be too late!

Now we return to our regularly scheduled program.

sorry I will repost in the other thread and ask via 8 personally can you move my post to the x22 super express thread?

Also if CSI students want a faster commute, use the X10. You can't expect the road to paved with gold when you only have silver. :) Where is the student representative in this issue? At my university, we had better bus service to the mall and other places because WE paid for it, which is what should be happening w/CSI. If transportation is so important to CSI students then the student representatives can have more monies set aside for transit issues and the college can also fork over some money; be it for the private bus service, or the (MTA) bus services (maybe students can get a discount on the express bus or they can give the (MTA) monies to extend the S93 and select S62s serving the college). I know student discounts were ended to my knowledge, but I'm sure the (MTA) would be willing to work something out if it means more money for them, esp. since they claim they're broke. I would NOT however extend any express buses into the college, so the X10s would keep their normal route, not unless their final destination was CSI. They could extend those X10s into the college.

True. The simplest way to do it would be to use part of that money to give people an express bus pass (or even just a regular monthly pass) for a reduced price. They could buy a bunch of express bus passes at the regular price of $50 each and sell them to the students for say, $40 (and the same with the regular passes, though it might defeat the purpose of trying to encourage them to use the express bus).

I think it would be easier to do that than to figure out some sort of funding program with the MTA (I mean, CSI is really the only CUNY college I can think of where the express bus makes a significant reduction in travel time, coming from Manhattan at least).

In case I was unclear, the college would use the money to purchase the Express Bus Plus MetroCards for full price and then give them to the students at a discount (instead of having to negotiate with the MTA to give a discount)

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't have the X10 go into the college. I'd be wary of even having it make that little loop to go inside the college (The way the local buses currently do. Believe me, the traffic in the left lane to get into CSI can get pretty bad)

But just one thing: Most of the college students using the S93 aren't going to Manhattan, so the X10 wouldn't help them. Out of all of them going to Brooklyn, very few actually take the (R) (and even then, they might live in Sunset Park or something, where it's easier to get to the S93 than to backtrack for the X10).

Now for the regular riders who happen to be on the bus, it's a different story (they do get on the (R), but I don't know if they go all the way to Manhattan. In any case, this is about the college students not the regular riders)

See my post above. I think it has potential to fill in gaps further west and I wouldn't want to see it go into the college until those gaps are filled.

And I don't think anybody wants any of the routes to loop around the full campus. From the 1P building, you could get to most locations on the campus anyway fairly easily on foot.

The college already has buses going directly to the ferry (though I heard the JARC grant might end next year). For the time being, there's no need to do anything with those S62s as far as converting them to S92s (though like I said, the ones that are deadheading to Yukon anyway should just make the extra stop at 1P)

Well, I can sort of understand their gripe. The thing is that I think they're exaggerating being 30 minutes late. The loop bus runs every 10 minutes, so that means that they were likely 20 minutes late already.

I don't think any of the SI express routes meander unnecessarily. They're all fairly straightforward.

True. The simplest way to do it would be to use part of that money to give people an express bus pass (or even just a regular monthly pass) for a reduced price. They could buy a bunch of express bus passes at the regular price of $50 each and sell them to the students for say, $40 (and the same with the regular passes, though it might defeat the purpose of trying to encourage them to use the express bus).

I think it would be easier to do that than to figure out some sort of funding program with the MTA (I mean, CSI is really the only CUNY college I can think of where the express bus makes a significant reduction in travel time, coming from Manhattan at least).

In case I was unclear, the college would use the money to purchase the Express Bus Plus MetroCards for full price and then give them to the students at a discount (instead of having to negotiate with the MTA to give a discount)

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't have the X10 go into the college. I'd be wary of even having it make that little loop to go inside the college (The way the local buses currently do. Believe me, the traffic in the left lane to get into CSI can get pretty bad)

But just one thing: Most of the college students using the S93 aren't going to Manhattan, so the X10 wouldn't help them. Out of all of them going to Brooklyn, very few actually take the (R) (and even then, they might live in Sunset Park or something, where it's easier to get to the S93 than to backtrack for the X10).

Well then why are the S62s so crowded with CSI students if they're not going to Manhattan?

Also, I said if select X10s were finishing at CSI then they should just do the loop. In that scenario select X10s would serve CSI, assuming the college set up something with the (MTA).

And I don't think anybody wants any of the routes to loop around the full campus. From the 1P building, you could get to most locations on the campus anyway fairly easily on foot.

Oh so now you're speaking for the college students in what they want??? :confused:

The college already has buses going directly to the ferry (though I heard the JARC grant might end next year). For the time being, there's no need to do anything with those S62s as far as converting them to S92s (though like I said, the ones that are deadheading to Yukon anyway should just make the extra stop at 1P)

#1 I already know that because I see them on Victory Blvd. #2 the article states this as well. #3 if many of the S62s are starting at CSI and the college buses are overcrowded (also stated in the article that you clearly didn't read), then I'm sure that some S62s could be turned into S92s to help with the overcrowding. And again where are all of the CSI students going if they're taking the shuttle directly to the ferry?? They have to stop in Manhattan. That may not be their final destination, but they do stop in Manhattan, so if the buses are overcrowded, then the X10 would indeed be attractive for them by cutting down on their commute even if their final destination isn't Manhattan.

I don't think any of the SI express routes meander unnecessarily. They're all fairly straightforward.

Well I'm sorry but I don't call a "loop" fairly "straightforward", which is what several Downtown express buses do. The X30 is also not straightforward. The straightforward way would be to turn on Forest & Clove and take Clove straight to Victory Blvd, but it instead takes Forest from one end to the other and then takes the long way down Victory Blvd and meets Clove Rd, which it passes on Forest Avenue. The X22 does something similar where it takes Amboy Rd passing Page Avenue and comes back to Page Avenue on Hylan Blvd. It's obviously why the X22 and the X30 does what it does, but that is not "straightforward" at all. Meander can also be used to explain something that isn't straightforward or direct and neither of those examples are direct because if they were neither line would pass the same street twice in their route when they have a more direct way to go.

As for the S62 buses that short-turn at CSI and the S93 buses, yeah it would be nice if they could go deeper into the college, but the thing is that there are other service needs they could be used to fill. I wanted the S93 extended to Arlington to fill a service gap (along the SIE service road) and, while I figured out a new route to fill the same service gap, the new route would be more expensive, and I'd be leery about sending the S93 deeper into the college before that service gap is filled.

For the S62, it depends on the situation. In the PM rush, it seems as if half turn back around to go to St. George, and half deadhead to the depot (they used to come out of Castleton, but now they come out of Yukon). The deaheading buses could serve 1P at virtually no extra cost (and then come out the Forest Hill Road exit and either go straight to the depot or provide additional service along the S61 route to the SI Mall). I'm not sure if it's a good idea to send the ones that are going to turn back around deeper into CSI.

As far as the shuttle buses being crowded, that's a load of BS. There are times when most of the seats were taken, but I ride it fairly often and have yet to see any standees (also, somehow you come off an S62 or S93 with standees and yet the shuttle bus with a seated load is somehow considered packed? Go figure)

Yeah yeah, we all know how this is gonna turn out. There is going to be a huge protest, the college students are gonna ask us to sign their petitions for the S62LCL/S92LTD, S93LTD, X10 and X11 buses to be extended down into the College Campus. That's great but, can't we all just pretty please talk about something at the Off Topic Lounge? There's an unread topic that I want you all to look at. You're all gonna love it.:)

1) Well then why are the S62s so crowded with CSI students if they're not going to Manhattan?

Also, I said if select X10s were finishing at CSI then they should just do the loop. In that scenario select X10s would serve CSI, assuming the college set up something with the (MTA).

2) Oh so now you're speaking for the college students in what they want??? :confused:

3) #1 I already know that because I see them on Victory Blvd. #2 the article states this as well. #3 if many of the S62s are starting at CSI and the college buses are overcrowded (also stated in the article that you clearly didn't read), then I'm sure that some S62s could be turned into S92s to help with the overcrowding. And again where are all of the CSI students going if they're taking the shuttle directly to the ferry?? They have to stop in Manhattan. That may not be their final destination, but they do stop in Manhattan, so if the buses are overcrowded, then the X10 would indeed be attractive for them by cutting down on their commute even if their final destination isn't Manhattan.

4) Well I'm sorry but I don't call a "loop" fairly "straightforward", which is what several Downtown express buses do. The X30 is also not straightforward. The straightforward way would be to turn on Forest & Clove and take Clove straight to Victory Blvd, but it instead takes Forest from one end to the other and then takes the long way down Victory Blvd and meets Clove Rd, which it passes on Forest Avenue. The X22 does something similar where it takes Amboy Rd passing Page Avenue and comes back to Page Avenue on Hylan Blvd. It's obviously why the X22 and the X30 does what it does, but that is not "straightforward" at all. Meander can also be used to explain something that isn't straightforward or direct and neither of those examples are direct because if they were neither line would pass the same street twice in their route when they have a more direct way to go.

1) Reread what I wrote. I was referring to riders on the S93 only (and when an S62 and S93 show up at the same time, I guarantee you at least 65%-75% of the passengers waiting there will get on the S93).

And like I said, that shuttle bus has definitely cut into S62 ridership because it goes nonstop to the ferry. Would you rather take a bus directly from the center of the campus nonstop to the ferry, or would you rather take a bus to the front gate and wait for a bus which makes a bunch of local stops along the way (granted the S61 helps split the load but still)

And I know what you were saying, but I still don't think any X10s should serve the college.

2) In case you've forgotten, I'm technically a college student there. :) College Now is a legitmate program where you get to take college classes while you're still in high school. They're transferrable to any other college just like a regular CSI class would be.

And I wasn't even referring to the college students. Yeah, they'd probably love for direct access to their classes, but most of the people on this forum (who've responded) would only want it to go straight to 1P and that's it.

3) First off, they're talking about the buses that bring you from the front entrance and loop around the campus, not the buses to the ferry.

Second of all, you're seriously going to argue with somebody who's down there several times a week? I'm telling you that they very rarely see a full seated load and even then, you're not going to tell me that it's somehow alright to stand on a local bus but somehow it's not alright to stand on a bus for the 5 minute ride to/from class?

And no, the S62s aren't that crowded. As I've said above, the majority of students waiting at that stop want the S93.

And let's say a lot of the students live in Manhattan. Their problem is that they claim that the bus doesn't leave them at the center of the campus. It isn't about the extra transfers they have to make (subway-ferry-shuttle): It's about the last leg of the trip. But in that case, the shuttle already brings them to the center of the college, so logic would dictate that the ones complaining are coming from Brooklyn.

4) I'm referring to within Staten Island, not the loops they make in Manhattan.

And the reasoning for both routes is simpler. It allows the X30 to serve the apartments on Victory Blvd, as well as the "affluent" parts of Silver Lake and Randall Manor. B) For the X22, it's to serve the denser parts of Tottenville around the train station. Those living down by Hylan Blvd have to put up with an extra 10 minutes of going around the long way, but it allows the bus to serve more people.

1) Reread what I wrote. I was referring to riders on the S93 only (and when an S62 and S93 show up at the same time, I guarantee you at least 65%-75% of the passengers waiting there will get on the S93).

Yeah well I most certainly see crowded S62s at night and not all of them get off at Victory & Clove for the S53 so they obviously are going to Manhattan.

And like I said, that shuttle bus has definitely cut into S62 ridership because it goes nonstop to the ferry. Would you rather take a bus directly from the center of the campus nonstop to the ferry, or would you rather take a bus to the front gate and wait for a bus which makes a bunch of local stops along the way (granted the S61 helps split the load but still)

Yeah well in any event they're saying that the shuttles are overcrowded.

And I know what you were saying, but I still don't think any X10s should serve the college.

I disagree. Like I said if the college paid the (MTA) to run select X10s to CSI then they should do the loop.

2) In case you've forgotten, I'm technically a college student there. :) College Now is a legitmate program where you get to take college classes while you're still in high school. They're transferrable to any other college just like a regular CSI class would be.

Yeah, okay, so you're a CSI student. LOL

And I wasn't even referring to the college students. Yeah, they'd probably love for direct access to their classes, but most of the people on this forum (who've responded) would only want it to go straight to 1P and that's it.

Yeah, well are we talking about what the people on the forum want or what the college students want? I don't see the point of talking about what the people on the forum want when the topic is about the college students? :confused:

3) First off, they're talking about the buses that bring you from the front entrance and loop around the campus, not the buses to the ferry.

Well then #1 why have so many S62s starting at CSI?

#2 it would cost peanuts to add extra shuttles to loop around the campus.

Second of all, you're seriously going to argue with somebody who's down there several times a week? I'm telling you that they very rarely see a full seated load and even then, you're not going to tell me that it's somehow alright to stand on a local bus but somehow it's not alright to stand on a bus for the 5 minute ride to/from class?

I've been to CSI plenty of times young man, when I was in college, thank you very much. B) I think their point is more of a time factor than anything. Why make them transfer and be late to class when they can have those buses loop?? The S62s serving CSI should loop and the S93s as well and if any X10s serve CSI (directly) they should loop as well.

And no, the S62s aren't that crowded. As I've said above, the majority of students waiting at that stop want the S93.

Again that depends on the time of day and I know you're not at CSI later on at night when I see those crowded S62s.

And let's say a lot of the students live in Manhattan. Their problem is that they claim that the bus doesn't leave them at the center of the campus. It isn't about the extra transfers they have to make (subway-ferry-shuttle): It's about the last leg of the trip. But in that case, the shuttle already brings them to the center of the college, so logic would dictate that the ones complaining are coming from Brooklyn.

Perhaps, but like I said, I see plenty of S62s that are crowded and not all of them get off at Clove & Victory for the S53.

4) I'm referring to within Staten Island, not the loops they make in Manhattan.

And the reasoning for both routes is simpler. It allows the X30 to serve the apartments on Victory Blvd, as well as the "affluent" parts of Silver Lake and Randall Manor. :) For the X22, it's to serve the denser parts of Tottenville around the train station. Those living down by Hylan Blvd have to put up with an extra 10 minutes of going around the long way, but it allows the bus to serve more people.

Yeah I know the reasons for the route and I said that before, but that still doesn't mean that they don't meander.

1) Yeah well I most certainly see crowded S62s at night and not all of them get off at Victory & Clove for the S53 so they obviously are going to Manhattan.

2) Yeah well in any event they're saying that the shuttles are overcrowded.

3) I disagree. Like I said if the college paid the (MTA) to run select X10s to CSI then they should do the loop.

4) Yeah, okay, so you're a CSI student. LOL

5) Yeah, well are we talking about what the people on the forum want or what the college students want? I don't see the point of talking about what the people on the forum want when the topic is about the college students? :confused:

6) Well then #1 why have so many S62s starting at CSI?

#2 it would cost peanuts to add extra shuttles to loop around the campus.

7) I've been to CSI plenty of times young man, when I was in college, thank you very much. :) I think their point is more of a time factor than anything. Why make them transfer and be late to class when they can have those buses loop?? The S62s serving CSI should loop and the S93s as well and if any X10s serve CSI (directly) they should loop as well.

8) Again that depends on the time of day and I know you're not at CSI later on at night when I see those crowded S62s.

9) Perhaps, but like I said, I see plenty of S62s that are crowded and not all of them get off at Clove & Victory for the S53.

10) Yeah I know the reasons for the route and I said that before, but that still doesn't mean that they don't meander.

1) I was coming home from Manhattan and passed the 20:35 S62 out of CSI (as we were going in). It had only a handful of people on it (and there were times when I had to come out late and saw that particular run and again, ridership was pretty light).

In any case, I'm sure a lot of them are riders who would've taken the S93 if it ran later. When was the last time you rode an evening S62 out of CSI?

2) I think they're referring to the buses that make the loop from the front gate and go around the campus. I mean, I've been on those buses and while we've had close to a seated load, I wouldn't consider them super-crowded (I mean, even if you have to stand, it's only for a couple of minutes)

3) I guess, but they would have to be additional ones rather than diverting ones from Port Richmond.

4) I have a CSI Student ID and get access to their facilities that the average person doesn't get to access, so yeah, technically I'm a part-time college student.

5) As for how the bus should serve the college (going completely around or just going to 1P), I don't know what the college students want, so I was discussing what other members of this forum want.

6) Probably because the MTA wants to keep a certain amount of service further down on Victory Blvd (I mean, if they cut those short-turns, you'd have 30 minute service up until Jewett Avenue, which I can't see looking too pretty. B) )

7) See my reasoning for the S93. The S62s I agree with you.

8) See #1.

9) See #1.

10) Well, the point is that there's really no way to straighten them out. If you do that, then you're taking away express service from entire communities (ones that actually use their express service).

Archived