Student tries to assault conductor on lexington ave line

ac1962

I'd "Like" this post except I can't see the "Like" button. I think it's because of the computer I'm using.

In any case, I wonder what the percentage is of kids who are going to a school outside their neighborhood just for the hell of it. I'd propose that Student MetroCards be given out if the student gets beyond a certain grade (say, 80), or if they can get recommendations for teachers (in the case of special ed kids without behavioral problems)

I remember I had a few classmates that wanted to go to the same HS, just so they can be around friends/fellow classmates... I was the opposite... I didn't wanna go to any HS that most of my former classmates wanted to go to... that's why I never told any of em what schools I put on the list.... I know I put westinghouse, grady, transit tech & automotive, and the other 4 I put as filler, including erasmus & tilden..... I really wanted to get into transit tech, but grady was my 2nd choice & they accepted me, so I went there.... See, b/c back then you had to put 8 HS's you wanted to go to.... Last I heard, you could put up to 12 (don't know how many you can list now)....

I say that to say, I'd like to know what %-tage of NYC HS students attend a school that's more than say, 4-5 miles away from their crib.... preferably, how many more (or less?) of those kids take the train over the bus....

* btw, there's no like button.... you have to put your cursor over any part of the post you want to like, then on the bottom right hand corner of the individual post, you'll see two text links reading "Like | Share"....

And it's kids like that who give kids like us a bad name. My average in high school is 100+ (and most of my friends are in the 90s and high 80s), but unfortunately there are more than enough "bad" kids to balance us out.

I did say a few times in the past about how they could make MCs incentive based on the kid's grades. If the average is A-B = full fare, C-D = half, F = they have to pay out of their own pocket. This easily weeds out kids that go to school to hang out with their buddies and those that actually wants to learn. Schools are not 'daycares'. If parents are too busy to handle their own kids, then frankly, they shouldn't be having them at all. A kid should be a reflection of the parent. If a parent doesn't give a 'ish', then why should we the 'taxpayers/riders/etc' have to be responsible for that kid? Let some hollywood moron adopt the kids rather than some kid in Africa or Asia. There's a ton of kids in the US that could use a good home and be productive members of society if given a break.

Of course this doesn't mean the subways/buses will be free of the nonsense. I knew of classmates that had fairly higher averages than me and were total asses and others that were nice/behaved in a civil manner, but didn't do too well in classes.

1) I remember I had a few classmates that wanted to go to the same HS, just so they can be around friends/fellow classmates... I was the opposite... I didn't wanna go to any HS that most of my former classmates wanted to go to... that's why I never told any of em what schools I put on the list.... I know I put westinghouse, grady, transit tech & automotive, and the other 4 I put as filler, including erasmus & tilden..... I really wanted to get into transit tech, but grady was my 2nd choice & they accepted me, so I went there.... See, b/c back then you had to put 8 HS's you wanted to go to.... Last I heard, you could put up to 12 (don't know how many you can list now)....

I say that to say, I'd like to know what %-tage of NYC HS students attend a school that's more than say, 4-5 miles away from their crib.... preferably, how many more (or less?) of those kids take the train over the bus....

2) * btw, there's no like button.... you have to put your cursor over any part of the post you want to like, then on the bottom right hand corner of the individual post, you'll see two text links reading "Like | Share"....

1) My brother's going into high school next year, and he said they gave his space for 12 high schools.

I think all you have to put down is 1 choice. I remember when I got my high school application, I picked 3 programs, all of which were in the same school (and of course, with my excellent grades, I got my first choice. :cool::tup:).

I think there was also a bubble if you were applying for a specialized school (but you had to fill out the schools on a seperate application). I could've went to any specialized school I wanted, but turned them down (it turned out to be a good decision. I have friends who go to the specialized schools and basically it's just a White and Asian version of the program I'm in at my local school)

And I got a letter from the MTA that said that out of the 140.5 million annual rides taken with a Student MetroCard, about 69 million take the bus and

70.5 million take the subway (of course, I don't know how many make a bus-subway commute to reach school). Obviously, the ones going further are more likely to take a subway train over a bus.

2) I know that, but the thing is that my school has a social networking filter. I could "Share" this post, but I can't "Like" it.

In any case, now that I'm at home, I can "Like" it, so let me do that now.

I did say a few times in the past about how they could make MCs incentive based on the kid's grades. If the average is A-B = full fare, C-D = half, F = they have to pay out of their own pocket. This easily weeds out kids that go to school to hang out with their buddies and those that actually wants to learn. Schools are not 'daycares'. If parents are too busy to handle their own kids, then frankly, they shouldn't be having them at all. A kid should be a reflection of the parent. If a parent doesn't give a 'ish', then why should we the 'taxpayers/riders/etc' have to be responsible for that kid? Let some hollywood moron adopt the kids rather than some kid in Africa or Asia. There's a ton of kids in the US that could use a good home and be productive members of society if given a break.

Of course this doesn't mean the subways/buses will be free of the nonsense. I knew of classmates that had fairly higher averages than me and were total asses and others that were nice/behaved in a civil manner, but didn't do too well in classes.

Well, that's why I said teachers could make recommendations if a student is particularly well-behaved but doesn't have high grades (or I guess conversely, they could make a recommendation to take away the MetroCard if they are poorly behaved). Of course, this good behavior might not translate from the classroom to public transit.

1) My brother's going into high school next year, and he said they gave his space for 12 high schools.

I think all you have to put down is 1 choice. I remember when I got my high school application, I picked 3 programs, all of which were in the same school (and of course, with my excellent grades, I got my first choice. :cool::tup:).

I think there was also a bubble if you were applying for a specialized school (but you had to fill out the schools on a seperate application). I could've went to any specialized school I wanted, but turned them down (it turned out to be a good decision. I have friends who go to the specialized schools and basically it's just a White and Asian version of the program I'm in at my local school)

And I got a letter from the MTA that said that out of the 140.5 million annual rides taken with a Student MetroCard, about 69 million take the bus and

70.5 million take the subway (of course, I don't know how many make a bus-subway commute to reach school). Obviously, the ones going further are more likely to take a subway train over a bus.

2) I know that, but the thing is that my school has a social networking filter. I could "Share" this post, but I can't "Like" it.

1- ok, so it's about 50/50 subway-to-bus... That would've been my guess, although I would've thought the edge went to those taking the bus... but as you said, there those that take the bus and the subway, so that factors in also...

2- Gotcha.

I got an idea. If these kids get in trouble with the law send them to boot camp and let's see if that will change their ways. If that doesn't work then I pretty much ran out of ideas other then put them in jail.

Eh, these perps-to-be are barely human. Nothing works on them.

• 2 weeks later...
At least they said sorry! :P

Unfortunately, most of these kids dont have fathers they live with. :tdown: and that's the problem without a father these teens think they can do whatever they want.

A friend of mine, who works in a public school, told me, he had one kid in his class who has a father & he's the most behaved kid!

Yeah, this happened on a (2) train once. A group was "talking" very loud & as soon as they exited the train, everybody was shaking their heads out of disappointment.

I never had father in my life ether.I was good student who stay out of trouble.

Well it's like I said if it doesn't work throw them in jail, cause I'm all out of ideas.

Harsher penalties for criminals and shorter stays on death row.

Cut all amenities out of prison systems...no weight rooms, reduce the meals budget to bare subsistence, and cut out any perks.

They get 3 walls, a steel cage, a roof, a bed, a can, a suitable climate of between 50 and 80 degrees at all times, 3 questionable meals, clean prison suits, access to a doctor, and a fenced recreation area they can use for good behavior periodically but with no additional perks. No basketball hoops. No basketballs. No chess boards. No perks. No healthcare if they are an illegal immigrant, either. And that's it.

No time off for good behavior. A sentence is a sentence. Spin the tables around...time added for bad behavior. And every inmate gets an "opt out" clause...tired of prison? Opt out via death penalty.

You can't clean up the streets if the prisons just become an extension of them.

Archived