Do you think interstate #s are being wasted?

VWM

Do you think interstate numbers are being wasted?

Real interstates like I-95 can only have numbers 1 thru 99.

The 95 runs thru 13 or 14 states, but routes like I-87 and the future I-86 only run thru one state.

Do you think we'll run Out of #s?

Guest lance25

Even if by some chance we do use all 99 numbers for interstate highways, they'll probably just change the rules for route number designation. For example, I308 wouldn't automatically mean it's a branch of I8 or that I286 is a loop around I86.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well they have some routes like I-35W and I-35E, but Lance is right, we have plenty of numbers left.

I do not see any major Interstates happening soon, and you have to remember that they can be US Routes or State Routes. State Routes can go up to infinite numbers from my knowledge, we have a VA-3000, but I'm not sure about US Routes.

I am pretty sure we have sufficient amount of Interstate Numbers left.

@GC: Not gonna work, the 3 digit interstate is sufficient enough and people are already used to it, so changing it that that will confuse more people and we are gonna run outta numbers because I-95's, thus all interstate's branch routes would be limited to 26...

We wont run out of numbers, some numbers are reused on the opposite sides of the country. There is an I-76, I-84, and I-86 on the east coast, 76 goes from ohio to jersey, 84 goes from PA to Massachusetts, and 86 goes from PA to the Thruway but theres also an I-76 in Colorado and Nebraska, an I-84 from Portland to Utah, and I-86 runs in Idaho.

Most metro areas haven't even used up all their 3 digit ones. A 3 digit spur route could be used in a pinch in a long distance way to connect a city to the interstate system. They do this in Arkansas and Iowa. I think its I-540 in AR and I-380 in IA. Given the resistance to new freeways in many places its doubtful we will even run out of 3 digits in a state. Since not every freeway in a metro area is an interstate. Some are just State routes or US Routes.

Archived