R to Jamaica-179th? How long?

pelhamlocal

If memory serves me right, it was around 1994. My home station was Union Tpke. and I remember waiting for the (R) one day during rush hours and finding out after a long wait that service had been discontinued.

At about the same time, the® stop running late nights. I was waiting for one at Court Street at about 11pm and was told that late night service was discontinued.

It's been awhile, but that's what I remember.

According to the Wikipedia article, when the R went to 179th street, the F didn't. So where did the F terminate?

They're wrong. The (R) served the local stops between Forest Hills and 179th Street, and the (F) only stopped at the express stations (Union Turnpike, Parsons Blvd, and 179th Street). I have (or had because I can't seem to find it) a map that shows it. It's either from 1990 or 1993.

They're wrong. The (R) served the local stops between Forest Hills and 179th Street, and the (F) only stopped at the express stations (Union Turnpike, Parsons Blvd, and 179th Street). I have (or had because I can't seem to find it) a map that shows it. It's either from 1990 or 1993.

Kind of on wright track checkmate(no fun intended lol) The ®ran 24/7 to/from 179/Hillside after the switch with the (N) with it's Queens terminals between May 1987-September 1990.

Then between Sept. '90-October 1992 the (R) full time 24/7 terminal was Forest Hills. It was extended to 179th, rush hours only.

After Oct. 1992, we had the current (R) routing for nearly 20 years now.

Hope everyone understands.:eek:

When did Jamaica Center open as Queens terminus for the E? I cannot recall. Did the opening of that terminus prompt R service to 179th St. Back when both the E and F terminated at 179th St, the F ran express (Parsons, Union Tpke and Continental) while the E stopped at 169th, Van Wyck, 75th Ave in addition to the express stops. F express was daytime only, I am not sure about weekend service.

Guest lance25
When 196th street was the terminal was still 4 tracks and 2 side platforms?

No trains ever went to 196th.

He probably meant 169 St. And I believe the answer to your question N6 is yes. The station layout was the same when 169 St was the terminal for those 13 years.

From the Wikipedia article on the (F) Train late night service:

On May 24, 1987, the N and R services switched terminals in Queens. As part of the reroute plan, F trains terminated at 57th Street / Sixth Avenue during late nights.

On September 30, 1990, the R train was cut back from 179th Street to 71st Avenue, and replaced by the F train.

Later that year, late-night service was moved to 21st Street – Queensbridge to replace the Q shuttle.

I hated to get out at 21st-Queensbridge at 2 A.M. :tdown: and have to walk back to Jackson Ave./QP in order to catch the B61 to Greenpoint.

When did Jamaica Center open as Queens terminus for the E? I cannot recall. Did the opening of that terminus prompt R service to 179th St. Back when both the E and F terminated at 179th St, the F ran express (Parsons, Union Tpke and Continental) while the E stopped at 169th, Van Wyck, 75th Ave in addition to the express stops. F express was daytime only, I am not sure about weekend service.

Jamaica Center opened in 1988, not sure date & month.

In those days, (before Jamaica Center), if I'm correct, the (E) ran express from Queens Plaza, till 71 Ave, 24/7.

The (F) ran full express from 21 St, till 71 ave, all times except nights. & express from 71 Ave till 179 St, weekdays only.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In those days, (before Jamaica Center), if I'm correct, the (E) ran express from Queens Plaza, till 71 Ave, 24/7.

The (F) ran full express from 21 St, till 71 ave, all times except nights. & express from 71 Ave till 179 St, weekdays only.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 63 Street tunnel wasn't connected to Queens Boulevard before 2001.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Man kiddies LOL please ask me some of the stuff on NYC subway events lol. I may not know everything but most of the major subway events since 1980 I remember well.(smile)

The (F) did not serve the 63rd st tunnel until Dec. 2001. It was December 11, 1988 that the (E) and the (J)(Z) served the Archer Ave stations.

The (E)(F)(R) Queens Blvd service patterns Dec. 12, 1988-Fall 1990..

Weekdays

(R) ran as QB Local to/from 179.

(F)ran as QB/Hillside express 179-Queens Plaza.

(E)ran as QB express Jamaica/Van Wyck-Queens Plaza.

Weekday evenings(8pm-12 Midnight) and Weekends

®same.

(E)Express Jamaica/Van Wyck-Queens Plaza.

(F)Hillside Local 179-Forest Hills Express Forest Hills-Queens Plaza.

The (E)(F)(R) Queens Blvd service patterns Fall 1990-Oct 1992

Weekday Rush Hours

(R) extended to 179th.

(E) Express Jamaica/Van Wyck-Queens Plaza.

(F)Hillside/QB express 179th-Queens Plaza.

Weekdays middays and evenings(until 9pm)

®to/from Forest Hills

(E)express Jamaica/Van Wyck-Queens Plaza

(F)Local 179th-Hillside-Forest Hills.

Weekends and 9pm-Midnight Weekdays

(E)(F) express Queens Plaza-Forest Hills.

Hope it clears it up.

Man kiddies LOL please ask me some of the stuff on NYC subway events lol. I may not know everything but most of the major subway events since 1980 I remember well.(smile)

The (F) did not serve the 63rd st tunnel until Dec. 2001. It was December 11, 1988 that the (E) and the (J)(Z) served the Archer Ave stations.

Weekdays

®same.

Weekday Rush Hours

(R) extended to 179th.

®to/from Forest Hills

Hope it clears it up.

More than clear enough…

Weekdays

®same.

Weekday Rush Hours

(R) extended to 179th.

®to/from Forest Hills

Hope it clears it up.

Actually, not at all. You must've been busy doing something else when this service change was effected. The 63rd St. tunnel went operational on 10/29/1989, along with the 63rd St.-Lexington Ave., Roosevelt Island and 21st St-Queensbridge stations. 21st St.-Queensbridge was originally a terminal stop for B/Q and late night (F) service. I know that the (F) stopped at 21st-Queensbridge because I had to take that train every night, M-F, when that service change was in effect. What the (F) didn't serve was the 63rd St. Connector, which bypassed Queens Plaza and connected with the express tracks to Roosevelt Avenue. That final section, from 21st St.-Queensbridge, opened for service on 12/16/2001.

For further reading, go HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE (fourth paragraph down, in the right hand column). Your listed service patterns were good only through the fall of 1990. The (F) to 21st ST.-Queensbridge service change went into effect December 1990.

You can wipe that grin off your face now. :P:)

Actually, not at all. You must've been busy doing something else when this service change was effected. The 63rd St. tunnel went operational on 10/29/1989, along with the 63rd St.-Lexington Ave., Roosevelt Island and 21st St-Queensbridge stations. 21st St.-Queensbridge was originally a terminal stop for B/Q and late night (F) service. I know that the (F) stopped at 21st-Queensbridge because I had to take that train every night, M-F, when that service change was in effect. What the (F) didn't serve was the 63rd St. Connector, which bypassed Queens Plaza and connected with the express tracks to Roosevelt Avenue. That final section, from 21st St.-Queensbridge, opened for service on 12/16/2001.

"]HERE[/url] (fourth paragraph down, in the right hand column). Your listed service patterns were good only through the fall of 1990. The (F) to 21st ST.-Queensbridge service change went into effect December 1990.

You can wipe that grin off your face now. :P:)

Actually I was talking about full time daily 6am-Midnight service my friend. I never mentioned about the overnight (F) service to avoid confusion. And the (F) did not go full time 24/7 on 63rd until 2001. That a fact.:tup:

Actually I was talking about full time daily 6am-Midnight service my friend. I never mentioned about the overnight (F) service to avoid confusion. And the (F) did not go full time 24/7 on 63rd until 2001. That a fact.:tup:

Never said it did. I only pointed out that the (F) did, in fact, terminate at 21st St.-Queensbridge and when the ability to use the completed connector occured.

Never said it did. I only pointed out that the (F) did, in fact, terminate at 21st St.-Queensbridge and when the ability to use the completed connector occured.

Oh well. I do miss the White Castle at 170th/Hillside(it was closed last time i was in area summer of 2010)but maybe reopened).:P:cool:

And the (G) along QB.:)

Archived