New MTA Chairman: New Ideas or Same Old Politics

BrooklynBus

1) None of the stops I use have shelters so that still doesn't help me.

Well too bad... It's time to get with the times... It's 2012, not 1812. ;) Even if you don't have a "fancy" smartphone, you can still get text messages or better yet, check before you leave home on the computer. That's what I do in the office and at home, this way I don't have to keep pulling the phone out and risk dropping it while walking. When I get to the stop, then I'll pull out the phone and check.

2) And I've also mentioned times when the bus coming in early has helped me get to school on time, or make the ferry.

Correct, but more times than none you complained more about missing them than them helping you. In any event, you'll have to adjust. So what? If they run according to the schedule and you know the schedule as you say you do, then you should be able to time your commute as I do now. I've been using the local bus just about every day to get to the express bus and my waits for the bus have been very short. I felt like leaving later this morning since I worked late last night and timed the S54. I got there a few minutes before and he was there in no time right on time. In the past the S54 would come whenever and it was hit or miss. A few of them still run early at night, but just by a few minutes, so it's not that bad. Certainly better than 10 or even 15 minutes early that I've seen with them flying down Manor Rd. I still remember stopping at the market there on Victory and Manor and picking up a few things and I'm strolling out of the market thinking I'll take my time to walk to the bus stop since I was super early and what do I see but an S54 that flies right by the stop. :mad: Had to wait over 30 minutes for the next one. This was on the weekend too...

And as far as my day-to-day commutes, there haven't been any buses that arrived at my stop 10 minutes early (either that, or it was short trips like from CSI, so if I miss the bus I just walk it). Most of the time it was just a couple of minutes.

Yeah well along Richmond Avenue, the buses seem to bunch and come in packs more than anything. 3 X10s, 2 S44s back to back, stuff like that.

3) And I keep on mentioning instances where the drivers are driving on the slow side and still end up having to pull over and wait at stops.

You act like this has been going on forever. Bus Time has only been here for a week at the most, so stop complaining. The service is better than it has ever been. They're not going to go flying down the street just because you thinking they're driving too slow. Like Cartmann said, if the bus is too slow for you, get an earlier one! I track most of the buses from their terminus and many of them start their runs a few minutes later thus allowing them to drive with a certain level of speed that isn't ridiculously slow. If you feel that the space gaps are that bad, then write in to the (MTA).

And you keep on saying that there are routes where they don't have enough runtime, and now suddenly it's impossible that they have routes where there is too much runtime? Isn't that how we got into the discussion about early buses in the first place? And you said yourself the X10 always shows up early, and the only way it fills its runtime is if its crowded and the driver isn't aggressive (e.g. He's not going through yellow lights and things like that).

It's not impossible, but my point is it's only the first week for Christ's sake! :mad: You're b*tching and moaning about the buses holding the schedule, but then I remember you complaining about that S62 that came early and blew by the stop, so you can't have it both ways. I am perfectly fine with them holding the schedule, which is what I've been wanting for YEARS. :cool: :tup::tup:

4) So again, BusTime doesn't help me.

Yeah, well it would if you would break down and stop being cheap. LOL You don't even have to get a new phone. You can just get text messaging added for a few bucks a month. That won't "break" the bank. :(

5) I pretty much gave up on the S46 (going to school) since they botched up the schedule, so no, this year I've only taken it a handful of times (and only if it was right at the stop or something, because I'm not going to actually wait for it)

Well if you had access to Bus Time, you could time it or simply walk.... Choices choices choices young man. ;)

6) I wasn't running for the bus that time: I was trying to make it to the bus stop (but yes, I did catch that bus). I wasn't even running hard: It was just dark and I didn't see the crack.

lol... Yes not that time Speedy González... :)

And how the f*ck does that put people in danger trying to pull open the door? If there's space (and there always is), I'm going in, no exceptions. And if I choose to run several blocks for a bus (on a sidewalk, and not doing anything crazy), again, how is that unsafe for anybody?

Are you serious?? You're pulling on the door of a bus either taking off or trying to take off and you don't think that's a danger to everyone? If that B/O has to stop suddenly because you're pulling on the door and all of the other cars behind him have to stop short, all it takes is one person to slam into the bus and bam, you've just put the lives of a whole bus load of people in jeopardy. Is it clear now?? :tdown:

7) And did I say that was the only reason? No I didn't, and I can assure you there's a valid reason why I don't get sleep aside from the after-school activities (and the AP classes that are just as easy as the regular version), but I'm not going to start putting my medical history online.

LMAO... Yes, please spare us the details. Oh and to answer your other question, you made it sound like that was the only reason. :(

8) You don't fail out of school for being late, especially considering my high grades.

The time I show up to school has no immediate (short-term) bearing on how much money I make.

LOL... #1 you don't fail if you're lucky and not chronically late or absent. You're just lucky you've got high grades and the teachers adore you. lol There are some teachers that hate it and they would certainly lower your grade where ever possible.

There's a penalty for being late for a reason and the reason is that being on time is part of being responsible. In the short term, no it has no bearing, but if you're allowed to be consistently late and show up whenever, you'll continue to do it as an adult. Bad habits are hard to break and if you don't receive any consequences for being late, you'll look for an excuse to be late as a professional as well, which could very well cost you your job. Many people have been fired for being constantly late.

9) And if the runtime were shortened, they'd still be ontime and be able to drive safely.

Is that right?? That explains why the S48 constantly bunches because they have very little time between stops...

And wouldn't you prefer getting to your destination earlier rather than later? Even if you're not in a serious hurry? That extra 5 minutes you save, you can use to go into a store and get a snack or something.

Uh no because I plan my commute unlike you. Like I said, more times than none I've been the victim of buses showing up early and being forced to get the next one which is LATE and PACKED. :mad: Often times I get irritated when I'm on a bus that is early and I see people constantly having to run for the bus even though they're early. Usually car service would leave me at the X10 stop sometimes a good 20 minutes early if I called a cab and they come right away since I give myself 30 minutes (even though it's only a 5 minute ride, but I do it in case they don't have that many cars in my area or on the road for that matter). I'll see the bus coming, look at my phone and say Jesus, this guy is almost 15 minutes early. This one guy had to run the bus down and he was at the stop almost 10 minutes before the bus way due. What I like about Bus Time is it forces the B/Os to wait. Before they would just zoom down the street regardless to what time they arrived.

What would the correct response have been? I'm sorry, I think bashing the guy as he's unpacking his boxes for not being ready to extend service when the MTA is broke is irresponsible. The state government made its mistakes, the city government didn't help (Giuliani, King Bloomberg), and now we're paying. Everybody points fingers at the MTA head, but it's never his fault that the MTA is broke. Unless most agencies that cry broke, they actually are broke.

He was a much more qualified man for the job than Lhota, I can say that. You're right, he knew there was no money to rebuild the system. That's why he couldn't. He had to cut just to keep things alive. But he didn't expect the childish, pathetic heckling by the morons at events (and behind desks at the NY Post). He was hated, so he left for an easier job with a bigger paycheck. Can't say I blame him. He wanted the job though, I can tell you that. The union squabbles have always, and any actual service decisions were probably more the work of people below his paygrade, so I wouldn't call that his fault directly. He's not 'surprised' either, at least nothing I've heard that he's said would support that. He came, he tried, he left. Hard to make something out of nothing, and the MTA has nothing to work with.

The correct response was we will look into it, not we are not in a position to make any service improvements now and we have no idea when that will change. Maybe he could have made an offer to split the cost with the College, but he just closed the door.

You can stand up all you want for the MTA. Yes, they are partially the victim. Sure the State and City are at fault. But who do you blame that after 40 years Metro-North and Long Island Railroad administrative services have still not been centralized? Is it really more efficient to have two separate payroll systems, etc? Same goes with MTA Bus and NYCTransit. Will it also take 40 years to unify certain functions so that they can operate more efficiently shortening run on and run off routes to depots? There are a lot of efficiencies to be made and to Walder's credit, he did make a start, but he also made a commitment which he reneged on and I don't respect him for that.

I'm sure it came as no surprise that he would be bashed by the press. That couldn't have bothered him. He and any other chairman will be bashed no matter what they do. The trains running on time is not news. A delay is.

And the MTA has plenty to work with. There is loads of talent within the MTA. It is the Chairman's job to change the structure and rules of the agency to ensure that the talent is tapped and not discouraged.

Well, here goes nothing....

1) Well too bad... It's time to get with the times... It's 2012, not 1812. :) Even if you don't have a "fancy" smartphone, you can still get text messages or better yet, check before you leave home on the computer. That's what I do in the office and at home, this way I don't have to keep pulling the phone out and risk dropping it while walking. When I get to the stop, then I'll pull out the phone and check.

2) Correct, but more times than none you complained more about missing them than them helping you. In any event, you'll have to adjust. So what? If they run according to the schedule and you know the schedule as you say you do, then you should be able to time your commute as I do now. I've been using the local bus just about every day to get to the express bus and my waits for the bus have been very short. I felt like leaving later this morning since I worked late last night and timed the S54. I got there a few minutes before and he was there in no time right on time. In the past the S54 would come whenever and it was hit or miss. A few of them still run early at night, but just by a few minutes, so it's not that bad. Certainly better than 10 or even 15 minutes early that I've seen with them flying down Manor Rd. I still remember stopping at the market there on Victory and Manor and picking up a few things and I'm strolling out of the market thinking I'll take my time to walk to the bus stop since I was super early and what do I see but an S54 that flies right by the stop. :mad: Had to wait over 30 minutes for the next one. This was on the weekend too...

3) Yeah well along Richmond Avenue, the buses seem to bunch and come in packs more than anything. 3 X10s, 2 S44s back to back, stuff like that.

4) You act like this has been going on forever. Bus Time has only been here for a week at the most, so stop complaining. The service is better than it has ever been. They're not going to go flying down the street just because you thinking they're driving too slow. Like Cartmann said, if the bus is too slow for you, get an earlier one! I track most of the buses from their terminus and many of them start their runs a few minutes later thus allowing them to drive with a certain level of speed that isn't ridiculously slow. If you feel that the space gaps are that bad, then write in to the (MTA).

5) It's not impossible, but my point is it's only the first week for Christ's sake! :mad: You're b*tching and moaning about the buses holding the schedule, but then I remember you complaining about that S62 that came early and blew by the stop, so you can't have it both ways. I am perfectly fine with them holding the schedule, which is what I've been wanting for YEARS. :cool: :tup::tup:

6) Yeah, well it would if you would break down and stop being cheap. LOL You don't even have to get a new phone. You can just get text messaging added for a few bucks a month. That won't "break" the bank. :(

7) Well if you had access to Bus Time, you could time it or simply walk.... Choices choices choices young man. ;)

8) Are you serious?? You're pulling on the door of a bus either taking off or trying to take off and you don't think that's a danger to everyone? If that B/O has to stop suddenly because you're pulling on the door and all of the other cars behind him have to stop short, all it takes is one person to slam into the bus and bam, you've just put the lives of a whole bus load of people in jeopardy. Is it clear now?? :tdown:

9) LMAO... Yes, please spare us the details. Oh and to answer your other question, you made it sound like that was the only reason. :(

10) LOL... #1 you don't fail if you're lucky and not chronically late or absent. You're just lucky you've got high grades and the teachers adore you. lol There are some teachers that hate it and they would certainly lower your grade where ever possible.

There's a penalty for being late for a reason and the reason is that being on time is part of being responsible. In the short term, no it has no bearing, but if you're allowed to be consistently late and show up whenever, you'll continue to do it as an adult. Bad habits are hard to break and if you don't receive any consequences for being late, you'll look for an excuse to be late as a professional as well, which could very well cost you your job. Many people have been fired for being constantly late.

11) Is that right?? That explains why the S48 constantly bunches because they have very little time between stops...

12) Uh no because I plan my commute unlike you. Like I said, more times than none I've been the victim of buses showing up early and being forced to get the next one which is LATE and PACKED. :mad: Often times I get irritated when I'm on a bus that is early and I see people constantly having to run for the bus even though they're early. Usually car service would leave me at the X10 stop sometimes a good 20 minutes early if I called a cab and they come right away since I give myself 30 minutes (even though it's only a 5 minute ride, but I do it in case they don't have that many cars in my area or on the road for that matter). I'll see the bus coming, look at my phone and say Jesus, this guy is almost 15 minutes early. This one guy had to run the bus down and he was at the stop almost 10 minutes before the bus way due. What I like about Bus Time is it forces the B/Os to wait. Before they would just zoom down the street regardless to what time they arrived.

1) It would be stupid to do it from my home computer. The amount of time spent booting the computer up could easily be the difference between catching a bus and missing one. And it's not like I have any other alternatives (I mean, I can save energy and walk to the local stop instead of the stop where I have the option of the S89, but it's just not worth it)

Going out of school, the problem is that I usually leave around 15:30, but the library closes at 14:45, so it doesn't do me any good.

It would've really helped today, since the S46 didn't show up. I was going to Mariners' Harbor, and I just said "screw it" and ran to my destination (and the bus was nowhere in site when I finally reached it). If I had known that in the first place, I wouldn't have wasted 10 minutes waiting (and I barely made it by the skin of my teeth)

2) Again, I know the schedule, but the problem is I can't make it out in time to meet the bus. If I could, I'd show up a couple of minutes early so I wouldn't have to run, but unfortunately I can't do that.

3) You're telling me. :( Nothing like seeing 2 S94s, an S59, and an S89 all pull out of the stop and then having to wait 15-20 minutes for the next bus (or should I say, group of buses)

4) Well it has been going on forever. The thing is that now it's becoming a little more commonplace because of the BusTime (though personally, the buses seem to run normally for me)

5) Let me make my position clear: I think it's great that the buses are being held so that they adhere to the schedule. Unless you're near the end of the route (especially by the ferry), you shouldn't be getting ahead of schedule.

The thing I have a problem with is the fact that they are going to keep the buses running slowly, rather than taking this opportunity to speed them up. Having buses (consistantly) hold at bus stops is the lesser of two evils. The best thing to do would be to tighten up the schedules so that the bus arrives on time, but it's just slightly earlier (or later, depending on which end of the route you're talking about)

As far as the S62 goes, blowing by the CSI stop is an entirely different issue. As far as coming early goes, I wouldn't mind it except for the fact that I don't know that the bus is coming early. If the runtime was tightened up, then I'd know that I already missed the bus and I wouldn't bother waiting.

6) I'm not good at figuring out how to work these gadgets. I just never bothered to learn how to text for these kind of things (I mean, I know how to send a text, but I don't know how it's going to appear on the screen and stuff on a regular flip phone). Not to mention that 3/4 of the time, I don't even carry my phone on me.

Whatever. I'm just saying that it's not going to benefit me as much, and I'm not asking for anything else.

7) If I don't see the bus, I always walk, and it always turns out to be the right decision (again, this is only for this year). What's the problem?

8) Uh, no. It's not like I jumped in front of the bus or anything. The bus closed the door and I pried them open. It didn't have to slam on the brakes or anything (and if it gets into an accident, well then the B/O should've just let me on the easy way, but that's never happened so why bother bringing it up)

9) Well, it's not.

10) Freshman year, the English teacher lowered my grade for being late, but it was so high that it was still a good grade.

In any case, there's no point in arguing "What if", because I'm not stupid and not chronically absent (I was absent a lot in elementary school, but again, my grades were so high that nobody cared, but then again, I don't think I reached 40 absences or whatever the limit is to be defined as "chronically absent")

And again, how do you know what I'm going to do as an adult? At my after-school activity, I get a small amount of money (more of a stipend than an actual paycheck) and I show up on time practically on the time. Money talks. ;)

11) Where's the facepalm symbol where you need it? Did I say it should apply to all routes? No, I didn't. I was talking about cutting the runtime for routes in general, and only if they have the problem where drivers are consistantly having to pull over at stops.

This is where NICE (out in Nassau) had it right. They looked at the schedules for some routes, saw which routes had too much runtime, and saw which routes had too little runtime, and adjusted it accordingly, but for one reason or another, the MTA doesn't do that.

12) Like I said, for the most part I do plan out my trips. It's just sticking to the plan that's the problem.

Where in the world did you get cost neutral from?

I assume you're talking about the extension within CSI. In any case, he was referring to adding limited-stop service to the S53, which would be roughly cost-neutral according to my calculations, but they still don't want to do it.

The correct response was we will look into it, not we are not in a position to make any service improvements now and we have no idea when that will change. Maybe he could have made an offer to split the cost with the College, but he just closed the door.

Deep down, I'm hoping the reason is because they want to send the S93 further westward, like I proposed, and the extension would be too annoying for the riders west of CSI. Realistically, it's just them being cheapskates.

It would be stupid to do it from my home computer. The amount of time spent booting the computer up could easily be the difference between catching a bus and missing one

almost made me spit my water out with that.... lmao !

unless you're gunnin for a bus on say, headways of 30+ minutes, I can't see anyone relying on using bustime from their home/work computers.... I don't care if the nearest bus stop is right in front of your house.....

I think it's great that the buses are being held so that they adhere to the schedule. Unless you're near the end of the route (especially by the ferry), you shouldn't be getting ahead of schedule.

I understand why drivers stall to stay on schedule, but it irks me when they stop at like 5 consecutive stops, open the doors, pull out slow, then (what looks to be) intentionally tryna catch a red light..... I don't mind if the bus stays at one stop for like 3-5 mins, then pulls out accordingly though (sometimes EB B35's @ Nostrand av do that during the later hrs. of the day... part of that is waiting for folks coming off the (2) also)...

far as simply being ahead of schedule itself... I might feel this way b/c I live around low headway routes, but it doesn't really bother me as much if a bus on a route is ahead of schedule.... if I'm in an area where the service iddn't so great, (like you) I'd start walking... same deal w/ it ending up being the right decision in my case, as well......

some people that go apeshit over a bus being 5 mins late (or even 10 mins late), or a bus arriving & leaving too early.... now that to me is deserving of a facepalm.... and I will admit that you're more prone to that w/ ppl. waiting for the express bus over ppl. waiting for locals.... That's one reason why I think Via is over-glorifying Bustime so much as of late..... Why stand @ a bus stop & complain when you can check ya phone & see how early/late, or on time your bus is......

Anyway, the constant bitching aint goin make the bus do a 180.... like, STFU & wait it out, or improvise.... that's the one thing I cannot stand when I'm waiting for a bus (express or local... or outside of NYC confines), is for someone to come over & start talkin about how late the buses are, and how this is a constant problem, etc etc...... that's when you get the "yeah" "mmm hmm" "okay" responses out of me....

Where in the world did you get cost neutral from? The MTA's lowball estimate is from $250-$1mil extra spent per year. The x22 extension was put in BECAUSE it was cost neutral. You do not leave customers in Brooklyn who went from service to walking while adding in a brand new extension for Staten Island, which is already an absurdly expensive borough to take care of thanks to the supremely wasteful express bus. It's just fiscally irresponsible.

Secondly, it's funny that you think it's political bias that I'm blaming the Republican. Well, here's why. It's his fault. That's not bias, that's fact.

Here's a refresher:

Mario Cuomo hits a fiscal crisis and runs out of money, so he cuts the MTA's budget. Not great, but probably necessary for the state's budget. The MTA chokes but survives. Fast forward to 2000 or so. The city is reaping in tax money. Giuliani is in charge and Pataki is governor. You'd think with all the extra money, you might add back to the MTA budget a little, right? You'd think. No, the MTA was left borrowing money left and right while the Republican mayor and governor weren't giving anything. And today, we're still in that debt, and since we hit a national recession thanks to an irresponsible Republican president, the riders aren't using the service enough to pay it back. So the MTA sits in debt.

You can't make up the numbers. The MTA's fiscal crisis is, politically, very much the fault of Pataki and Giuliani (god to you Staten Islanders, I know). Make sense, really, that the party of the 1% wouldn't want to help out service for the 99%. Well, your people made their choices, and now the agency is suffering. It's not a 'responsibility' issue, it's a fat cat Republican government issue. Don't you dare try to pin this on my politics, because this is how it went down and, financially, still is going down.

What would the correct response have been? I'm sorry, I think bashing the guy as he's unpacking his boxes for not being ready to extend service when the MTA is broke is irresponsible. The state government made its mistakes, the city government didn't help (Giuliani, King Bloomberg), and now we're paying. Everybody points fingers at the MTA head, but it's never his fault that the MTA is broke. Unless most agencies that cry broke, they actually are broke.

He was a much more qualified man for the job than Lhota, I can say that. You're right, he knew there was no money to rebuild the system. That's why he couldn't. He had to cut just to keep things alive. But he didn't expect the childish, pathetic heckling by the morons at events (and behind desks at the NY Post). He was hated, so he left for an easier job with a bigger paycheck. Can't say I blame him. He wanted the job though, I can tell you that. The union squabbles have always, and any actual service decisions were probably more the work of people below his paygrade, so I wouldn't call that his fault directly. He's not 'surprised' either, at least nothing I've heard that he's said would support that. He came, he tried, he left. Hard to make something out of nothing, and the MTA has nothing to work with.

Oh so it's Staten Islanders' fault that there are no subways here?? What about the areas of the Bronx that have no subways and rely on express buses or even Brooklyn for that matter? Don't even try it with that it's so expensive nonsense. It would be far more expensive to build subways on Staten Island. Hell, the Bronx HAS subways and they still have express buses duplicating subway lines in some cases, so don't sit here and bash us. You talk a good game, but I doubt you would be willing to pony up the billions for subways or light rails for Staten Island. Oh, and we don't have any WASTEFUL express buses. We USE our express buses. Our express buses are some the most used in the system, with the X1 being number one . You keep talking about wasteful express buses. All routes that were so called "wasteful" routes were cut by the (MTA), so I don't know what you're talking about. Some of those so called "wasteful" routes weren't wasteful at all, but they were still cut.

As for Giuliani and Pataki, cuts were made where they had to make them and it wasn't just to the (MTA). Giuliani came in and revamped welfare, which was sucking the city dry in wasted tax dollars. Abled body folks collecting welfare... That should've never happened and he stopped that abuse of the system. :tup: If I recall correctly, didn't the (MTA) have a surplus at some point during Giuliani's administration (be it the first or second term)?? What did they do with that surplus?? They wasted it, so yeah they should get more, but they waste a lot as well.

As for your cost neutral comment, reading is fundamental. The proposal I talked about with the S83 was created as a COST NEUTRAL one, with them making select S53s into S83s and running on the existing route, giving riders limited stop service, which is sorely needed on the line.

almost made me spit my water out with that.... lmao !

unless you're gunnin for a bus on say, headways of 30+ minutes, I can't see anyone relying on using bustime from their home/work computers.... I don't care if the nearest bus stop is right in front of your house.....

Why not?? If the bus that's scheduled doesn't show up (be it a local or express), knowing that in advance can save you from waiting for a bus that won't come and can allow you to still make it on time to your destination. That's the point I was making. Or better yet if the bus is frequent but they're running bunched together that can also allow you to make adjustments if necessary. For example, the X1 is supposed to run about every 5 minutes at times, but sometimes they're all running behind schedule and late, which creates a problem because then one bus arrives packed and now you've got to wait for the next one which maybe 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes, so now you've been waiting about 20 minutes for a bus instead of 5. Then you add in the stopping longer at all stops because of the bigger crowds and the time starts to add up.

1) It would be stupid to do it from my home computer. The amount of time spent booting the computer up could easily be the difference between catching a bus and missing one. And it's not like I have any other alternatives (I mean, I can save energy and walk to the local stop instead of the stop where I have the option of the S89, but it's just not worth it)

Going out of school, the problem is that I usually leave around 15:30, but the library closes at 14:45, so it doesn't do me any good.

It would've really helped today, since the S46 didn't show up. I was going to Mariners' Harbor, and I just said "screw it" and ran to my destination (and the bus was nowhere in site when I finally reached it). If I had known that in the first place, I wouldn't have wasted 10 minutes waiting (and I barely made it by the skin of my teeth)

Haven't you heard of "standby"?? :confused: My laptop at home is on standby at night. A click of a button and it's on 1,2,3. It sounds like you have a computer from the dinosaur ages. :eek: I get up, go to Bus Time and put on the map and boom, with my fast connection I can see what's going on. If buses are coming as scheduled, if they're bunching, etc. and it gives me an idea of what's going on. Takes no more than a few minutes. Then again, I give myself time to get ready in the morning. Clearly you don't. lol

2) Again, I know the schedule, but the problem is I can't make it out in time to meet the bus. If I could, I'd show up a couple of minutes early so I wouldn't have to run, but unfortunately I can't do that.

Well I don't know what to say. I've never met anyone with a more "packed" schedule before. I mean I had after school activities, had AP classes and the like and I never had such issues making my buses like you do.

3) You're telling me. ;) Nothing like seeing 2 S94s, an S59, and an S89 all pull out of the stop and then having to wait 15-20 minutes for the next bus (or should I say, group of buses)

Yep happens a lot esp. on Richmond Avenue in particular.

5) Let me make my position clear: I think it's great that the buses are being held so that they adhere to the schedule. Unless you're near the end of the route (especially by the ferry), you shouldn't be getting ahead of schedule.

The thing I have a problem with is the fact that they are going to keep the buses running slowly, rather than taking this opportunity to speed them up. Having buses (consistantly) hold at bus stops is the lesser of two evils. The best thing to do would be to tighten up the schedules so that the bus arrives on time, but it's just slightly earlier (or later, depending on which end of the route you're talking about)

As far as the S62 goes, blowing by the CSI stop is an entirely different issue. As far as coming early goes, I wouldn't mind it except for the fact that I don't know that the bus is coming early. If the runtime was tightened up, then I'd know that I already missed the bus and I wouldn't bother waiting.

Like I said, if the run time is so terrible on so many lines, write in about it. I find the run time on most lines to be accurate though. The funny thing is the X10 has been coming on time going to the city. Could have something to do with more reliability. If more folks use the bus then the schedule may not need to be tightened that much.

6) I'm not good at figuring out how to work these gadgets. I just never bothered to learn how to text for these kind of things (I mean, I know how to send a text, but I don't know how it's going to appear on the screen and stuff on a regular flip phone). Not to mention that 3/4 of the time, I don't even carry my phone on me.

Whatever. I'm just saying that it's not going to benefit me as much, and I'm not asking for anything else.

7) If I don't see the bus, I always walk, and it always turns out to be the right decision (again, this is only for this year). What's the problem?

8) Uh, no. It's not like I jumped in front of the bus or anything. The bus closed the door and I pried them open. It didn't have to slam on the brakes or anything (and if it gets into an accident, well then the B/O should've just let me on the easy way, but that's never happened so why bother bringing it up)

So now you can see in the future... And you knew you would twist your ankle running for the bus too I bet right?? lol Uh huh, that's what I thought.

10) Freshman year, the English teacher lowered my grade for being late, but it was so high that it was still a good grade.

In any case, there's no point in arguing "What if", because I'm not stupid and not chronically absent (I was absent a lot in elementary school, but again, my grades were so high that nobody cared, but then again, I don't think I reached 40 absences or whatever the limit is to be defined as "chronically absent")

40 is considered "chronic"? I would think anything over 10 would be chronic. Hell I had surgery to remove teeth growing into my jawbone back in high school, I was back in school two days later. Kids of today... The so called "responsible ones"... They take off like it's no tomorrow. ;) Let's not even talk about the irresponsible ones. In my day the irresponsible ones were more like the responsible ones of today.

And again, how do you know what I'm going to do as an adult? At my after-school activity, I get a small amount of money (more of a stipend than an actual paycheck) and I show up on time practically on the time. Money talks. :)

11) Where's the facepalm symbol where you need it? Did I say it should apply to all routes? No, I didn't. I was talking about cutting the runtime for routes in general, and only if they have the problem where drivers are consistantly having to pull over at stops.

Like I said, why don't you write in about it then if it's such an issue????

Why not?? If the bus that's scheduled doesn't show up (be it a local or express), knowing that in advance can save you from waiting for a bus that won't come and can allow you to still make it on time to your destination. That's the point I was making. Or better yet if the bus is frequent but they're running bunched together that can also allow you to make adjustments if necessary. For example, the X1 is supposed to run about every 5 minutes at times, but sometimes they're all running behind schedule and late, which creates a problem because then one bus arrives packed and now you've got to wait for the next one which maybe 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes, so now you've been waiting about 20 minutes for a bus instead of 5. Then you add in the stopping longer at all stops because of the bigger crowds and the time starts to add up.

Why Not?

dude, if the bus is frequent, I'll wait for the next one.... It's just that simple.

I'm not one of these "time is money", "s***'ll get hectic if I miss a second" type of people.... it's not gonna kill me to wait 5, 10, 15 mins, even if I have to let a packed bus pass (which I have no problem doing), or be subjected to buses bunching & me having to wait longer for the next bus b/c of it... The situation is not dire....

If you wanna use bustime on your cell, go for it.... But to use it on a work pc or home pc, to me, is nothin short of petty.... Almost borders on obsession-compulsion.... I can't imagine me carrying out my normal morning regiment at home (or if at work about to bounce, risk overlooking/forgetting one of my tasks... esp. w/ these lazy f***s in this place) then goin online, seeing when my bus is supposed to arrive, & accelerating everything else I have to do before rushing out the house like a goddamn banshee tryna catch it.... Sure, it's good to have an idea of when your bus is coming - But on the same token, I'm not gonna create an added sense of urgency on myself... stressed out enough as it is....

Stop running things in a whole.... You're giving Bustime way too much credit, talkin bout service has been better than it's ever been.....

Why Not?

dude, if the bus is frequent, I'll wait for the next one.... It's just that simple.

I'm not one of these "time is money", "s***'ll get hectic if I miss a second" type of people.... it's not gonna kill me to wait 5, 10, 15 mins, even if I have to let a packed bus pass (which I have no problem doing), or be subjected to buses bunching & me having to wait longer for the next bus b/c of it... The situation is not dire....

If you wanna use bustime on your cell, go for it.... But to use it on a work pc or home pc, to me, is nothin short of petty.... Almost borders on obsession-compulsion.... I can't imagine me carrying out my normal morning regiment at home (or if at work about to bounce, risk overlooking/forgetting one of my tasks... esp. w/ these lazy f***s in this place) then goin online, seeing when my bus is supposed to arrive, & accelerating everything else I have to do before rushing out the house like a goddamn banshee tryna catch it.... Sure, it's good to have an idea of when your bus is coming - But on the same token, I'm not gonna create an added sense of urgency on myself... stressed out enough as it is....

Stop running things in a whole.... You're giving Bustime way too much credit, talkin bout service has been better than it's ever been.....

Well if you call walking to the bus stop and standing there not knowing if the bus has come or not petty then I guess it is. I use the last bus of the morning and the last bus of the evening and rather than me waiting for half an hour or more for a bus that may never come, it is nice to know whether or not it is coming or whether I have to make other arrangements. I see nothing wrong with checking my laptop to see if the bus is coming or not before leaving the house, esp. since it is faster to check it on the desktop as opposed to on your cell phone. It can save me from having to make several connections. That's not petty at all. Aside from the B63, you don't have Bus Time in Brooklyn, and from the way you talk, it wouldn't matter because you have frequent service and service that is generally reliable. We on Staten Island however, don't have that and me spending a few minutes to check can keep me from spending an additional 30 - 45 minutes on my commute. The only lines that are really frequent are the X1, the S53 and the X17 (during some parts of the day) and even those can mess up.

Bus Time has saved me a few good hours of waiting around so far already, so yes I'm going to praise it whether or not you agree because my commute is completely different from yours. How can you say what Bus Time is overall when you've only used it on the B63 in Brooklyn nonetheless?? One line is very different from an entire borough. And yes, my time is valuable and costly. No one ever said that buses will never bunch and will always come on time. That's not the main point of Bus Time. The main point for me is allowing passengers to plan their commutes better and with less stress, esp. ones with long commutes.

The other night (Monday to be exact), there was a guy at my stop fuming about having to wait for an X17. He said he had waited for 30 minutes while 3 X10s had come. Meanwhile I had just strolled over to the stop as I knew an X10 was coming in a few minutes. So, we have me, the calm passenger with access to Bus Time and the irate passenger who hasn't a clue about Bus Time. He could've perhaps taken one of the X10s that came and saved himself the hassle of waiting in the freezing cold for 30 minutes or made other arrangements. That's my point and that's why I'm praising Bus Time. Can it be better?? Certainly, but it's certainly better than what we had before, which is nothing.

^^ Replying to the post above (nyctransitforums.com/forums/516499-post33.html)....

I love how you have a story for everything.....

Anyway, you keep regurgitating the same basic point over & over in this thread, and you're not accomplishing anything by doing it.... Now I see why some on here may think you're forest glen; it aint just about express buses either.... you equate someone not feeling a certain way about something (especially to the tune that you do) as outright disapproval of it..... I'm not gonna keep saying that I feel there's no advantages to bustime.....You post these stories in an attempt to illustrate & prove the contrary....

....and yes, the way you're praising it is petty.... Very petty.

It aint about me agreeing with you or not.

How can you say what Bus Time is overall when you've only used it on the B63 in Brooklyn nonetheless??

One line is very different from an entire borough.

are you kidding me w/ this BS.... you're doing the same shit !

you're waxing poetic about the SI routes that it's on, what are you talking about...

One line is different from an entire borough, FOH w/ that logic.... As if I have many routes to choose from to test it on....

^^ Replying to the post above (nyctransitforums.com/forums/516499-post33.html)....

I love how you have a story for everything.....

Anyway, you keep regurgitating the same basic point over & over in this thread, and you're not accomplishing anything by doing it.... Now I see why some on here may think you're forest glen; it aint just about express buses either.... you equate someone not feeling a certain way about something (especially to the tune that you do) as outright disapproval of it..... I'm not gonna keep saying that I feel there's no advantages to bustime.....You post these stories in an attempt to illustrate & prove the contrary....

Yeah, well I have yet to see you ever admit to ever being wrong about anything since I've started posting here and I mean with everybody. Rather than admit you're wrong about something, you'd rather get defensive about it.

....and yes, the way you're praising it is petty.... Very petty.

It aint about me agreeing with you or not.

Actually I think it is... Very much so. Tell me what lines you've used it on to say that is has no advantages????

are you kidding me w/ this BS.... you're doing the same shit !

you're waxing poetic about the SI routes that it's on, what are you talking about...

One line is different from an entire borough, FOH w/ that logic.... As if I have many routes to choose from to test it on....

Well you sure as heck have the entire borough of Staten Island to choose from. I can't speak about other boroughs because as we both know it doesn't exist yet in Queens, Manhattan or the Bronx and only is on the B63 in Brooklyn, so yes I have to speak "overall" since 99% of the lines that it has it on is on Staten Island. Since you have such a problem with it, why don't you talk about your experiences with it so that I understand why you have a problem with it rather than getting all defensive about it as usual? I get the feeling that you see Bus Time as a double edged sword and it very well could be. It's too early to say. For all of the praise I've given it so far, I've seen a few buses go MIA so far and they were the last buses of the morning and evening. As far as I know, the (MTA) is supposed to have those buses sent out. Now with bus tracking things may change because they'll say well if we can't send out "X" bus, people can just check and use another alternative, though that may not be possible in some cases.

I'm not gonna keep saying that I feel there's no advantages to bustime

should have read....

"I'm not gonna keep saying that I feel there aren't advantages to bustime".... That said.....

---------------------------------------------

Yeah, well I have yet to see you ever admit to ever being wrong about anything since I've started posting here and I mean with everybody. Rather than admit you're wrong about something, you'd rather get defensive about it.

Flat out false, but project your faults onto me if it makes you feel better, Via...

You of all people on this forum couldn't be more guilty of exactly what you're accusing me of with this......

What does being wrong about anything have to do with any of this anyway.... Seems like I struck a nerve there when I mentioned you always have a story for everything, for you to bring up how supposedly so wrong I am & not fessing up to it afterwards.....

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.... I give props/thanks to cats on here for correcting me.... I even tell folks on here thanks for correcting me when I am inaccurate on something.... Anyone reading this that I've done that to/for can vouch for that..... So go somewhere w/ the making up of BS b/c you feel some type of way about what I said.... If you're gonna accuse me of some shit, make damn sure it's accurate.

Well you sure as heck have the entire borough of Staten Island to choose from. I can't speak about other boroughs because as we both know it doesn't exist yet in Queens, Manhattan or the Bronx and only is on the B63 in Brooklyn, so yes I have to speak "overall" since 99% of the lines that it has it on is on Staten Island.

How self-centered.... You have more of an "overall" say because there are more routes in Staten Island that have the thing..... yeah okay....

Since you have such a problem with it, why don't you talk about your experiences with it so that I understand why you have a problem with it rather than getting all defensive about it as usual?

Defensive about what.... You're the one comin at anyone in this thread that doesn't feel the same way about bustime that you do....

Furthermore, I don't have "such a problem" with bustime itself.... I have "such a problem" with your constant overpraising of it....

should have read....

"I'm not gonna keep saying that I feel there aren't advantages to bustime".... That said.....

---------------------------------------------

Flat out false, but project your faults onto me if it makes you feel better, Via... You of all people on here couldn't be more guilty of exactly what you're accusing me of with this......

What does being wrong about anything have to do with any of this anyway.... Seems like I struck a nerve there when I mentioned you always have a story for everything, for you to bring up how supposedly so wrong I am, and not fessing up to it afterwards.....

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.... I give props/thanks to cats on here for correcting me.... I even tell folks on here thanks for correcting me when I am wrong.... So go somewhere w/ the making up of BS b/c you feel some type of way about what I said.... If you're gonna accuse me of some shit, make damn sure it's accurate.

How self-centered.... You have more of an "overall" say because there are more routes in Staten Island that have the thing..... yeah okay....

Thanks for illustrating my point.

I don't have "such a problem" with bustime itself....

I have "such a problem" with your constant overpraising of it....

LOL... Well now that you've corrected your typo or whatever, please illustrate why you have "such a problem" with me praising it?? Oh and further more, since you have no problem with Bus Time itself, tell us what you like about it?? :)

LOL... Well now that you've corrected your typo or whatever, please illustrate why you have "such a problem" with me praising it??

Oh and further more, since you have no problem with Bus Time itself, tell us what you like about it?? :)

yeah, that feeble attempt of yours to bash my character was funny....

Anyway, more to the topic.... to answer your questions....

1- Because quite frankly you wont STFU about it, that's why.... I was willing to let this go (even gave you the last word) when this was in the subway section.... I wasn't the one that turned this into a thread about Bustime... Only reason I came back posting in this thread is b/c it was moved to the bus section.....

2- For one, I never said I have NO problem with it.... Be there as it may, since you wanna ask questions to obvious answers - Like I said before, it's good to have an idea of when your bus is set to arrive, as well as knowing where along the route the bus is.... To me, that's all it is.... It's an advanced version of a printed timetable.... You wanna view Bustime as something more than that, that's your prerogative..... Seriously though, how many times do we have to read a story from you, or otherwise make a mention of the way you feel about the thing..... Like shit, we get it !

So again, me not overpraising the thing doesn't equate to outright disapproval or hatred of it (as you seem to wanna believe my stance is on this)..... I'm not gonna give credit to something it's not responsible for accomplishing..... Knowing when a bus is set to come has no bearing on overall bus service on that route being/becoming better..... You can't add unlike terms.....

yeah, that feeble attempt of yours to bash my character was funny....

Anyway, more to the topic.... to answer your questions....

1- Because quite frankly you wont STFU about it, that's why.... I was willing to let this go (even gave you the last word) when this was in the subway section.... I wasn't the one that turned this into a thread about Bustime... Only reason I came back posting in this thread is b/c it was moved to the bus section.....

2- For one, I never said I have NO problem with it.... Be there as it may, since you wanna ask questions to obvious answers - Like I said before, it's good to have an idea of when your bus is set to arrive, as well as knowing where along the route the bus is.... To me, that's all it is.... It's an advanced version of a printed timetable.... You wanna view Bustime as something more than that, that's your prerogative..... Seriously though, how many times do we have to read a story from you, or otherwise make a mention of the way you feel about the thing..... Like shit, we get it !

So again, me not overpraising the thing doesn't equate to outright disapproval or hatred of it (as you seem to wanna believe my stance is on this)..... I'm not gonna give credit to something it's not responsible for accomplishing..... Knowing when a bus is set to come has no bearing on overall bus service on that route being/becoming better..... You can't add unlike terms.....

Well that's because I disagree with you. The impression you're putting off is that Bus Time will not and has not improved service. You talked about how the B63 still bunches etc., etc., etc. Well it seems like you've made your mind up about Bus Time in terms of it improving service and that's what I disagree about and am trying to understand why you believe this. So far (the keyword) is so far, service has been improved on the routes that I take and I take some of the most unreliable routes on Staten Island (i.e. S54 for starters).

Well that's because I disagree with you. The impression you're putting off is that Bus Time will not and has not improved service. You talked about how the B63 still bunches etc., etc., etc. Well it seems like you've made your mind up about Bus Time in terms of it improving service and that's what I disagree about and am trying to understand why you believe this. So far (the keyword) is so far, service has been improved on the routes that I take and I take some of the most unreliable routes on Staten Island (i.e. S54 for starters).

Well we have 2 differing levels of points of views on the thing, what more do you want... I'm not tryna change your opinion, but you seem hell bent on portraying to me that your opinion is more correct than mine, based on Bustime being all over SI or whatever.....

and yes, I have made up my mind about bustime... Good invention, but not as revolutionary & as much of a problem solving applet when it comes to bus service that you wanna give it credit for..... I don't see it improving traffic conditions (doesn't have to be just that of the traffic the B63 experiences either), I don't see it making buses any more timely, any less prone to bunching, any less being MIA (as you put it in another post).... I mean, it is what it is....

Yes, the key term is "so far"; neither one of our experiences w/ bustime trumps each other's.... Quite frankly, your experience w/ it out on SI has no bearing to me.... not that I don't believe you, but I can only speak from my perspective about the thing - no matter how limited you think it is....

So I'll wait until it comes out for every route in all the boroughs... if it makes bus service more timely throughout our bus system, I'll eat my words.... Until then, my opinion remains unchanged..... Right now, I have no reason to believe that that (the part in red) will happen...

1) Oh so it's Staten Islanders' fault that there are no subways here?? What about the areas of the Bronx that have no subways and rely on express buses or even Brooklyn for that matter? Don't even try it with that it's so expensive nonsense. It would be far more expensive to build subways on Staten Island. Hell, the Bronx HAS subways and they still have express buses duplicating subway lines in some cases, so don't sit here and bash us.

2) Why not?? If the bus that's scheduled doesn't show up (be it a local or express), knowing that in advance can save you from waiting for a bus that won't come and can allow you to still make it on time to your destination. That's the point I was making. Or better yet if the bus is frequent but they're running bunched together that can also allow you to make adjustments if necessary. For example, the X1 is supposed to run about every 5 minutes at times, but sometimes they're all running behind schedule and late, which creates a problem because then one bus arrives packed and now you've got to wait for the next one which maybe 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes, so now you've been waiting about 20 minutes for a bus instead of 5. Then you add in the stopping longer at all stops because of the bigger crowds and the time starts to add up.

3) Haven't you heard of "standby"?? :confused: My laptop at home is on standby at night. A click of a button and it's on 1,2,3. It sounds like you have a computer from the dinosaur ages. :eek: I get up, go to Bus Time and put on the map and boom, with my fast connection I can see what's going on. If buses are coming as scheduled, if they're bunching, etc. and it gives me an idea of what's going on. Takes no more than a few minutes. Then again, I give myself time to get ready in the morning. Clearly you don't. lol

4) Well I don't know what to say. I've never met anyone with a more "packed" schedule before. I mean I had after school activities, had AP classes and the like and I never had such issues making my buses like you do.

5) Like I said, if the run time is so terrible on so many lines, write in about it. I find the run time on most lines to be accurate though. The funny thing is the X10 has been coming on time going to the city. Could have something to do with more reliability. If more folks use the bus then the schedule may not need to be tightened that much.

6) So now you can see in the future... And you knew you would twist your ankle running for the bus too I bet right?? lol Uh huh, that's what I thought.

7) 40 is considered "chronic"? I would think anything over 10 would be chronic. Hell I had surgery to remove teeth growing into my jawbone back in high school, I was back in school two days later. Kids of today... The so called "responsible ones"... They take off like it's no tomorrow. :o Let's not even talk about the irresponsible ones. In my day the irresponsible ones were more like the responsible ones of today.

1) Having subways and light rails saves on operating costs in the future. Just sayin' (and yeah, there really aren't any wasteful express routes on SI)

2) You have a point there (not that I disagreed with you in the first place). I mean, it's definitely beneficial to just have a quick snapshot of where the bus is. I mean, if you're about to leave work, before you leave, you can just check BusTime and have an idea of how to plan your commute (e.g. If the next bus isn't coming for another 15 minutes, and the walk is 5 minutes, you can wait inside for a few minutes, then calmly walk up to the bus, or maybe you can see that your regular bus is MIA and plan your commute around that)

B35, I don't think he was implying that you should be focused on where the nearest bus is and have to rush to complete your work to catch that bus. It's just something to do before you sign out.

3) Standby uses electricity, and electricity costs money. :)

There's also the issue of the computer overheating if it's on too long. (I mean, there are fans and stuff within the computer, but still)

And it's only good if you have alternatives. My strategy in the morning is to just run to Richmond Avenue (run to the limited stop instead of the local-only stop, unless I see the local pulling in or something), and just hope a bus shows up soon. I know the schedule by heart (at least for that time frame), but like I said, I can't always make it. I mean, I can't think of one instance where checking from home would've saved me any time (maybe if I had a phone at the bus stop, but checking from home would've been pointless)

4) Like I said, I'm not posting my entire medical history online. Use your imagination.

5) And they'll probably ignore me and come up with some BS like they did with the S83 and S93 proposals I sent, so why bother.

6) You act like it was a life-threatening injury. I fell on the ground, stayed there for about 10 seconds (and then the guy came and asked if I was alright), and then I got back up and went to the bus stop. A couple of hours later, I felt zero pain.

7) 10 is definitely too low. There are a little more than 180 school days, and I think they want 90% attendance, so that's about 18 abscences before they'll even bother you.

8) Well now, I'm only absent maybe 5 times a year, give or take, but back in elementary school in Brooklyn, oh boy. :eek: (It wasn't 40 or anything, but it was definitely more than 10, I'll tell you that much) Once I moved to SI, I had fewer absences, though.

Still, what difference does it make? I was well ahead of my grade level even back then, so I was fine. I wasn't borderline passing or anything.

2) You have a point there (not that I disagreed with you in the first place). I mean, it's definitely beneficial to just have a quick snapshot of where the bus is. I mean, if you're about to leave work, before you leave, you can just check BusTime and have an idea of how to plan your commute (e.g. If the next bus isn't coming for another 15 minutes, and the walk is 5 minutes, you can wait inside for a few minutes, then calmly walk up to the bus, or maybe you can see that your regular bus is MIA and plan your commute around that)

B35, I don't think he was implying that you should be focused on where the nearest bus is and have to rush to complete your work to catch that bus. It's just something to do before you sign out.

In fairness, what you're replying to of his (in your "#2") was aimed at me...

Your rendition/commentary in the first paragraph.... I get all that, but I still feel as if checking a home or work pc for that purpose (and being reliant on that to plan your commute) is petty....

If I'm not out busfanning (outside of NYC that is.... intra NYC, I don't plan), I'm not gonna plan my commute around any particular route.... after work If I feel like taking a BM, I'll take the first one that comes (long as it's not a bm3).... If I feel like walkin over the bridge, I'll do that... If I feel like puttin up w/ the subway, I'll do that.... If I feel like taking a roundabout way to get home (like the B to the QM16 to the Q35 & walk from the junction), I'll do that...

However, as far as a commute goes.... I'm not of the type to go out gunning for a particular run of any route w/i NYC, regardless of where the physical bus is proximate to where I'm at.... I use the posted timetables at the bus stop to have an idea of when the next bus is coming, b/c I don't remember the schedules (really don't care to, tbh).....

Like I said to Via earlier, if you wanna use bustime on your cell or w/e, have at it... the cellphone's in your hand, you're out there at or near the bus stop, why not.... But to use bustime from a home or work pc for the purpose of being an aid to your commute, I think, is a bit over the top, I'm sorry..... Don't know what else to say, or how else I can put it.

1) Having subways and light rails saves on operating costs in the future. Just sayin' (and yeah, there really aren't any wasteful express routes on SI)

Like I said, MHV9218 would not want his tax dollars going to a light rail or a subway for Staten Island. I get his little snide remark. He doesn’t think we should get our fair share of service and I suspect it’s because we’re the only borough that votes majority Republican. No, he didn’t say it, but everything is Democrat vs Republican with him. Notice he only remarked about Staten Island’s express buses and how they’re “Oh so wasteful”, but I guess the other boroughs don’t have express buses… Like I said, the Bronx even has express buses that parallel the subway and anytime you mention that people say well Oh the subways in the Bronx are SO bad, so they need their express buses. Meanwhile we have NO subways and we shouldn’t have express bus service because they’re so “wasteful” which is a complete lie and is utter BS.

Well for what it’s worth, B35 also commented that he that it was absurd to look at a subway schedule, so you know he’s not going to be wild about Bus Time. He still doesn’t get it. His commute is no where near as long as ours and he has many options that he can rattle off that run more frequent than mine. We’re more suburban out here and because our commutes are so long and we have fewer options, we HAVE to plan our commute. Quite frankly, when I lived in Brooklyn, I NEVER thought about planning a commute. The idea to me was absurd simply because I would just walk to the bus or subway and whenever it came it came. When I moved here I realized that I would have to because you can’t just stroll over to the bus and say oh, one will come. Even during the rush hour bus service isn’t all that frequent overall in comparison to the other boroughs. Even on Richmond Avenue you can wait for a while for a bus.

Lhota made the comment that Bus Time was brought to Staten Island first because “we know how important your buses are”. All we have are buses and we have the longest commute out all of the boroughs, hell the longest commute in the U.S., so yeah, any little thing to help our commutes be quicker, shorter and faster is great. He can’t relate to that being in Brooklyn.

3) Standby uses electricity, and electricity costs money. :)

LOL… I knew you would say that… If you had a laptop you would know that laptops use next to no electricity in comparison to a desktop. Hell if you’re that worried about electricity you should completely unplug the thing because even with it turned off, it still uses electricity and costs money. :o

There's also the issue of the computer overheating if it's on too long. (I mean, there are fans and stuff within the computer, but still)

LOL… I have never heard of a computer “overheating” being on standby. Unless it’s a computer from the dark ages… :eek:

And it's only good if you have alternatives. My strategy in the morning is to just run to Richmond Avenue (run to the limited stop instead of the local-only stop, unless I see the local pulling in or something), and just hope a bus shows up soon. I know the schedule by heart (at least for that time frame), but like I said, I can't always make it. I mean, I can't think of one instance where checking from home would've saved me any time (maybe if I had a phone at the bus stop, but checking from home would've been pointless)

You have plenty of alternatives on Richmond Avenue. That’s like living near Hylan Blvd and saying you have no alternatives. Lol You just don’t give yourself any time…

4) Like I said, I'm not posting my entire medical history online. Use your imagination.

No comment. :eek:

5) And they'll probably ignore me and come up with some BS like they did with the S83 and S93 proposals I sent, so why bother.

Then no point in complaining…

6) You act like it was a life-threatening injury. I fell on the ground, stayed there for about 10 seconds (and then the guy came and asked if I was alright), and then I got back up and went to the bus stop. A couple of hours later, I felt zero pain.

Yet again, you fail to see the point… :(

7) 10 is definitely too low. There are a little more than 180 school days, and I think they want 90% attendance, so that's about 18 abscences before they'll even bother you.

8) Well now, I'm only absent maybe 5 times a year, give or take, but back in elementary school in Brooklyn, oh boy. :eek: (It wasn't 40 or anything, but it was definitely more than 10, I'll tell you that much) Once I moved to SI, I had fewer absences, though.

Still, what difference does it make? I was well ahead of my grade level even back then, so I was fine. I wasn't borderline passing or anything.

Heh… The kids of today… And they wonder why overall the kids are doing so poorly… :(

In fairness, what you're replying to of his (in your "#2") was aimed at me...

Your rendition/commentary in the first paragraph.... I get all that, but I still feel as if checking a home or work pc for that purpose (and being reliant on that to plan your commute) is petty....

If I'm not out busfanning (outside of NYC that is.... intra NYC, I don't plan), I'm not gonna plan my commute around any particular route.... after work If I feel like taking a BM, I'll take the first one that comes (long as it's not a bm3).... If I feel like walkin over the bridge, I'll do that... If I feel like puttin up w/ the subway, I'll do that.... If I feel like taking a roundabout way to get home (like the B to the QM16 to the Q35 & walk from the junction), I'll do that...

However, as far as a commute goes.... I'm not of the type to go out gunning for a particular run of any route w/i NYC, regardless of where the physical bus is proximate to where I'm at.... I use the posted timetables at the bus stop to have an idea of when the next bus is coming, b/c I don't remember the schedules (really don't care to, tbh).....

Like I said to Via earlier, if you wanna use bustime on your cell or w/e, have at it... the cellphone's in your hand, you're out there at or near the bus stop, why not.... But to use bustime from a home or work pc for the purpose of being an aid to your commute, I think, is a bit over the top, I'm sorry..... Don't know what else to say, or how else I can put it.

Like I said to checkmate, when I lived in Brooklyn, I NEVER thought about planning a commute. The idea to me was absurd simply because I would just walk to the bus or subway and whenever it came it came. When I moved here I realized that I would have to because you can’t just stroll over to the bus and say oh, one will come. I used to do that and my commute would be almost two hours because I would spend time waiting at the bus stop for who knows how long waiting for the next bus that may not connect to the ferry right away. Even during the rush hour bus service isn’t all that frequent overall in comparison to the other boroughs. Even on Richmond Avenue you can wait for a while for a bus. When you spend 3+ hours a day commuting, believe me you will look for any thing that can help make your commute shorter and easier.

For what it's worth tonight, just about everybody at the bus stop had checked to see where the bus was in their office become getting to the stop. One Asian I was talking to said he was able to stop at the store. He's been using it and said it's been great. I saw more people at the stop than usual and they clearly had been tracking the bus as some of them appeared just before the bus came and they weren't running either. These are folks that would usually take the bus before that one which runs about 20 minutes earlier. So I guess the 15 of us waiting there are all a tad crazy for checking the bus from our office. lol

1) Like I said, MHV9218 would not want his tax dollars going to a light rail or a subway for Staten Island. I get his little snide remark. He doesn’t think we should get our fair share of service and I suspect it’s because we’re the only borough that votes majority Republican. No, he didn’t say it, but everything is Democrat vs Republican with him. Notice he only remarked about Staten Island’s express buses and how they’re “Oh so wasteful”, but I guess the other boroughs don’t have express buses… Like I said, the Bronx even has express buses that parallel the subway and anytime you mention that people say well Oh the subways in the Bronx are SO bad, so they need their express buses. Meanwhile we have NO subways and we shouldn’t have express bus service because they’re so “wasteful” which is a complete lie and is utter BS.

2) Well for what it’s worth, B35 also commented that he that it was absurd to look at a subway schedule, so you know he’s not going to be wild about Bus Time. He still doesn’t get it. His commute is no where near as long as ours and he has many options that he can rattle off that run more frequent than mine. We’re more suburban out here and because our commutes are so long and we have fewer options, we HAVE to plan our commute. Quite frankly, when I lived in Brooklyn, I NEVER thought about planning a commute. The idea to me was absurd simply because I would just walk to the bus or subway and whenever it came it came. When I moved here I realized that I would have to because you can’t just stroll over to the bus and say oh, one will come. Even during the rush hour bus service isn’t all that frequent overall in comparison to the other boroughs. Even on Richmond Avenue you can wait for a while for a bus.

Lhota made the comment that Bus Time was brought to Staten Island first because “we know how important your buses are”. All we have are buses and we have the longest commute out all of the boroughs, hell the longest commute in the U.S., so yeah, any little thing to help our commutes be quicker, shorter and faster is great. He can’t relate to that being in Brooklyn.

3) LOL… I knew you would say that… If you had a laptop you would know that laptops use next to no electricity in comparison to a desktop. Hell if you’re that worried about electricity you should completely unplug the thing because even with it turned off, it still uses electricity and costs money. :)

LOL… I have never heard of a computer “overheating” being on standby. Unless it’s a computer from the dark ages… :eek:

4) You have plenty of alternatives on Richmond Avenue. That’s like living near Hylan Blvd and saying you have no alternatives. Lol You just don’t give yourself any time…

5) Then no point in complaining…

6) Yet again, you fail to see the point… :o

7) Heh… The kids of today… And they wonder why overall the kids are doing so poorly… :(

1) Well I don't know what to say to that. You take that up with him.

2) The thing about the subway is that it's frequent enough that it doesn't make a real difference. Even if you just missed a train, you're not going to have to wait more than 10 minutes (and that's stretching it), assuming there's no delays or anything.

And I'm just saying, but my personal commute isn't that long. Door-to-desk, I can do it in 20 minutes if everything works out perfectly. Now if things get messed up, that's a different story, but even then a 45 minute commute isn't that long in the scheme of things.

I'm not invalidating your comment, but I'm just pointing that out.

3) Actually, I have one laptop with Internet, and one desktop without Internet, and both are unplugged when they're not in use. And my family's a bit overcautious, but hey, what can you do?

4) You're not seeing what I'm saying. I have no alternative, but to go to Richmond Avenue. I could go the other direction, to South Avenue, but that would be stupid because the S96 runs less frequently, is more crowded, and takes a more circuitous route.

The point is that it wouldn't do me any good to know exactly where the buses are. At my stop, an S44 and S89 are supposed to arrive a couple of minutes apart, but what good is it going to do to show exactly where they are. It'll show the S89 a few blocks behind the S44, and I'll have no idea which will be the right one to take (if the S44 comes first, should I get on or wait for the S89?)

Now at the stop itself, yes having access to BusTime helps because then I can see where exactly the buses are in relation to each other (my preference is the S89, followed by the S44, followed by the S59), and so I can see if say, the S59 comes, how far behind the S44 and S89 are so I can decide whether or not to get on.

5) Then there's no point in anybody complaining about anything because 90% of the time, the problem isn't solved. I'm stating a fact: There are some (not all or even most) routes where too much runtime is allotted at certain times of the day, and that problem should be fixed.

6) The point is I have good judgement as to when things are dangerous and when they're not. Like I said, if the B/O finds it so important not to let me on the bus, then let them accept the risks associated with that.

7) And I'm somehow representative of all kids, right? Ooooh, big deal. The kid is perfectly intelligent, but he didn't show up to school for a few days. He's going to be a failure in life because of this, even though he's not going to be doing this when there's money on the line. (sarcasm)

Well for what it’s worth, B35 also commented that he that it was absurd to look at a subway schedule, so you know he’s not going to be wild about Bus Time.

He still doesn’t get it. His commute is no where near as long as ours and he has many options that he can rattle off that run more frequent than mine. We’re more suburban out here and because our commutes are so long and we have fewer options, we HAVE to plan our commute.

Here we go with that whoa is you, you're in Staten Island bit....

Is that what I'm not supposedly getting? You're more suburban out there.... as if that's not known.....

I mean good grief, of all the cards to wanna pull on to reinforce a point.....

Lhota introducing bustime to Staten Island first has nothin do with anything I said in this thread thus far....

I actually agree with his decision to have it implemented on y'alls buses first...... So don't even try to paint that picture that I'm implicating SI isn't deserving of it.... "any little thing" to help your commutes.....

As far as being relative to your commute as it relates to how much bustime has aided in making it better...

To the tune that you overpraise bustime, no I can't relate to that.....

Like I said to checkmate, when I lived in Brooklyn, I NEVER thought about planning a commute. The idea to me was absurd simply because I would just walk to the bus or subway and whenever it came it came. When I moved here I realized that I would have to because you can’t just stroll over to the bus and say oh, one will come. I used to do that and my commute would be almost two hours because I would spend time waiting at the bus stop for who knows how long waiting for the next bus that may not connect to the ferry right away. Even during the rush hour bus service isn’t all that frequent overall in comparison to the other boroughs. Even on Richmond Avenue you can wait for a while for a bus. When you spend 3+ hours a day commuting, believe me you will look for any thing that can help make your commute shorter and easier.

For what it's worth tonight, just about everybody at the bus stop had checked to see where the bus was in their office become getting to the stop. One Asian I was talking to said he was able to stop at the store. He's been using it and said it's been great. I saw more people at the stop than usual and they clearly had been tracking the bus as some of them appeared just before the bus came and they weren't running either. These are folks that would usually take the bus before that one which runs about 20 minutes earlier. So I guess the 15 of us waiting there are all a tad crazy for checking the bus from our office. lol

That's exactly how I view public transportation in this city in general.... a bus'll come, a train'll come.... I'm not gonna bust my ass to catch "the 7:15" or whatever, nor am I gonna go run online to check where that physical bus is either....

and yeah, since you make a mention of some 15 people or whatever & what they did, yeah I do think they're crazy.... could've been 55 people for all I care... the number of people in that scenario doesn't mean much of anything....

Here we go with that whoa is you, you're in Staten Island bit....

Is that what I'm not supposedly getting? You're more suburban out there.... as if that's not known.....

I mean good grief, of all the cards to wanna pull on to reinforce a point.....

Yep, that's what you're not getting. Like I said, I had the same attitude you did when I lived in Brooklyn. The bus or subway comes when it comes and I thought that way because service was frequent. Not the case in more suburban areas. You either plan your commute or waste your time waiting for a bus because you didn't take a minute to check the schedule. I used to do the same thing when I moved here. I'd walk to Forest and just expect a bus to come, then saw the schedule and said, WHAT?? No bus for another 20 minutes??? Eventually I got sick of having just missed a bus and having to wait 15 - 20 minutes for the next one. Sounds like it isn't a big deal, but when the commute is already 1 1/2 another 15 - 20 minutes makes it that much longer.

Lhota introducing bustime to Staten Island first has nothin do with anything I said in this thread thus far....

I actually agree with his decision to have it implemented on y'alls buses first...... So don't even try to paint that picture that I'm implicating SI isn't deserving of it.... "any little thing" to help your commutes.....

lol... Funny you think that because it couldn't be any further from the truth, but believe that I believe that if you may.

As far as being relative to your commute as it relates to how much bustime has aided in making it better...

To the tune that you overpraise bustime, no I can't relate to that...../QUOTE]

What do you call overpraising?? I've done nothing but state the truth. Perhaps you find it hard to believe that my commute has become faster overall, buses are generally more reliable and come on time. SIRNorthShore said the same thing, so it isn't just me and he too uses his phone to track the buses. :)

That's exactly how I view public transportation in this city in general.... a bus'll come, a train'll come.... I'm not gonna bust my ass to catch "the 7:15" or whatever, nor am I gonna go run online to check where that physical bus is either....

Yeah so did I until my commute become 3 hours a day.

and yeah, since you make a mention of some 15 people or whatever & what they did, yeah I do think they're crazy.... could've been 55 people for all I care... the number of people in that scenario doesn't mean much of anything....

lol... Yeah we're all crazies for wanting a faster commute. Okay, sure.

Yep, that's what you're not getting. Like I said, I had the same attitude you did when I lived in Brooklyn. The bus or subway comes when it comes and I thought that way because service was frequent. Not the case in more suburban areas. You either plan your commute or waste your time waiting for a bus because you didn't take a minute to check the schedule.

I'm not getting that SI is more suburban.... I'm not getting that you're a Staten Islander? As in so many of your posts that you let that be known in..... Is that really what you're gonna hang your hat on.... You say all this as if I'm totally oblivious about bus service in suburban areas, which that couldn't be any further from the truth......

I don't have to live in a suburban area to know what planning around sub-par bus service is like....

lol... Funny you think that because it couldn't be any further from the truth, but believe that I believe that if you may.

yeah, I will....

Yeah so did I until my commute become 3 hours a day.

and that's my fault.... I mean, what are you telling me this for.....

Time & time again you are continuing to convey that bustime is beneficial (which I never doubted)....

Talk about relentless, you won't stop until I see things the way you do... I'm telling you now, it's just not gonna happen.....

^^ and if you claim to not care about any of that, then stop trying to illustrate to me how much of a benefit the thing has been for you......

What do you call overpraising?? I've done nothing but state the truth. Perhaps you find it hard to believe that my commute has become faster overall, buses are generally more reliable and come on time. SIRNorthShore said the same thing, so it isn't just me and he too uses his phone to track the buses. :)

For starters, the countless postings of stories/instances by you, illustrating how bustime has made your commute better......

SIR North Shore aint posting 50 million stories in here about his experiences though.... don't drag him into this.....

Whether it's made your (or anyone else's) commute better is not what I'm disputing.... I have no reason to believe you're lying about that..... What I am disputing is this notion that it's made bus service better - Not exactly the same thing..... You're quick to dismiss my experience using it w/ the B63, but herald its implementation as making bus service better overall in Staten Island - as if its usage for a non SI route is negligible....

& lol @ you now saying your overpraising is nothin but stating the truth.....

lol... Yeah we're all crazies for wanting a faster commute. Okay, sure.

crazies... your choice words...

Only difference is, I aint being sarcastic with that summarization.....

I'm not getting that SI is more suburban.... I'm not getting that you're a Staten Islander? As in so many of your posts that you let that be known in..... Is that really what you're gonna hang your hat on.... You say all this as if I'm totally oblivious about bus service in suburban areas, which that couldn't be any further from the truth......

I don't have to live in a suburban area to know what planning around sub-par bus service is like....

yeah, I will....

and that's my fault.... I mean, what are you telling me this for.....

Time & time again you are continuing to convey that bustime is beneficial (which I never doubted)....

Talk about relentless, you won't stop until I see things the way you do... I'm telling you now, it's just not gonna happen.....

^^ and if you claim to not care about any of that, then stop trying to illustrate to me how much of a benefit the thing has been for you......

For starters, the countless postings of stories/instances by you, illustrating how bustime has made your commute better......

SIR North Shore aint posting 50 million stories in here about his experiences though.... don't drag him into this.....

Whether it's made your (or anyone else's) commute better is not what I'm disputing.... I have no reason to believe you're lying about that..... What I am disputing is this notion that it's made bus service better - Not exactly the same thing..... You're quick to dismiss my experience using it w/ the B63, but herald its implementation as making bus service better overall in Staten Island - as if its usage for a non SI route is negligible....

& lol @ you now saying your overpraising is nothin but stating the truth.....

crazies... your choice words...

Only difference is, I aint being sarcastic with that summarization.....

The problem I have with your point of view is that I see nothing that you've shown other than your believe to show why you don't think service has improved. It's not about me "proving" anything to you, but me understanding where you're getting this idea that bus service hasn't improved from? Is it based on facts or just your intuition? That's what I've been trying to understand and that's why I keep making points that I do because if your belief is solely feeling based then me or no one else for that matter will change your mind and it will show that you are simply stubborn on the issue. :P You see I'm trying to understand if you're pulling a Forest Glen where you take a position and don't show anything to support it. I asked you in a few posts to explain your position and you have yet to do so. In other words, I would like to know what you are basing your feelings of Bus Time on?? Have you used Bus Time on the B63?? All you've stated is that buses still bunch on the B63, which by the way is totally natural, but you've shared nothing else to show why you feel this way. Perhaps if you would I would be convinced that Bus Time isn't that hot, but for now I can only base it upon my own experiences and facts that I've gathered on the service.

The problem I have with your point of view is that I see nothing that you've shown other than your believe to show why you don't think service has improved. It's not about me "proving" anything to you, but me understanding where you're getting this idea that bus service hasn't improved from? Is it based on facts or just your intuition? That's what I've been trying to understand and that's why I keep making points that I do because if your belief is solely feeling based then me or no one else for that matter will change your mind and it will show that you are simply stubborn on the issue. :P You see I'm trying to understand if you're pulling a Forest Glen where you take a position and don't show anything to support it. I asked you in a few posts to explain your position and you have yet to do so. In other words, I would like to know what you are basing your feelings of Bus Time on?? Have you used Bus Time on the B63?? All you've stated is that buses still bunch on the B63, which by the way is totally natural, but you've shared nothing else to show why you feel this way. Perhaps if you would I would be convinced that Bus Time isn't that hot, but for now I can only base it upon my own experiences and facts that I've gathered on the service.

That's exactly what it is - further tryna prove to me your position is more correct.... Your commentary is the truth, remember.... See, you refuse to accept the fact that I don't see bustime in the same light you do, and boy does that bother you.... it's the mediator in you.... I don't know if I should feel flattered or baffled that you're so concerned (or at least, act as such) w/ the basis of my stance in this discussion.... Unless it's nothin more than an attempt to find something to outright dismiss my entire stance... Which is cool, but let's stop dragging this out..... and don't even try to put that all on me b/c you feel I haven't asked your questions adequately either......

One more thing - Stop with the acting brand new; this is like the 3rd time you've done that throughout this little exchange.... This is the last time I'm goin answer these obvious ass questions you keep asking too, Via.... like you caught alzheimer's all of a sudden & don't know what's goin on here.....

- Is it based on facts or just your intuition?

- Have you used Bus Time on the B63??

Facts, based on the the fact that I've used bustime on the B63....

two birds, one stone... there ya go.....

-I would like to know what you are basing your feelings of Bus Time on??

The fact that bus service has not changed on the 63... at all.

buses are still showing up late, buses still crawl along 5th av, buses still bunch at times.... all previous problems along that route.... Bustime has done nothing to change that.... Buses are not moving more uniformly....

Yeah, go ahead & say somethin to the effect of It's just one route.... itchin to say that aren't ya.... I tell you somethin else though... if bustime hasn't changed service on any one route, it hasn't made overall service better (of the routes it's implemented on) - even if service on every last SI route has been made better (which I highly doubt, but that's neither here nor there)......

Let's say bustime has made service on the B63 better....

I'd give it its props, but I wouldn't go overboard with it; it's not necessary for me to show that much elation over an invention....

- All you've stated is that buses still bunch on the B63, which by the way is totally natural, but you've shared nothing else to show why you feel this way.

So am I supposed to post a bunch of stories to illustrate & show & prove to you my experiences on the 63.... Nevermind the fact that that's authoritative, but seriously, what would that change? Your acceptance of my position on this.... I mean c'mon......

Never understood why ppl. want to delve into why someone feels a certain way.... That is just crazy (there's that word again :)) to me.... It's like you're disagreeing with me (which is fine) & tryna ultimately get me to see things more your way - on top of illustrating how correct you are (which is irritating)... More than it is you holding one position, me holding one position, and debating back & forth that way.....

Not that I have to prove anything further to you, but... again, what more do you want.....

That's exactly what it is - further tryna prove to me your position is more correct.... Your commentary is the truth, remember.... See, you refuse to accept the fact that I don't see bustime in the same light you do, and boy does that bother you.... it's the mediator in you.... I don't know if I should feel flattered or baffled that you're so concerned (or at least, act as such) w/ the basis of my stance in this discussion.... Unless it's nothin more than an attempt to find something to outright dismiss my entire stance... Which is cool, but let's stop dragging this out..... and don't even try to put that all on me b/c you feel I haven't asked your questions adequately either......

One more thing - Stop with the acting brand new; this is like the 3rd time you've done that throughout this little exchange.... This is the last time I'm goin answer these obvious ass questions you keep asking too, Via.... like you caught alzheimer's all of a sudden & don't know what's goin on here.....

- Is it based on facts or just your intuition?

- Have you used Bus Time on the B63??

Facts, based on the the fact that I've used bustime on the B63....

two birds, one stone... there ya go.....

-I would like to know what you are basing your feelings of Bus Time on??

The fact that bus service has not changed on the 63... at all.

buses are still showing up late, buses still crawl along 5th av, buses still bunch at times.... all previous problems along that route.... Bustime has done nothing to change that.... Buses are not moving more uniformly....

Yeah, go ahead & say somethin to the effect of It's just one route.... itchin to say that aren't ya.... I tell you somethin else though... if bustime hasn't changed service on any one route, it hasn't made overall service better (of the routes it's implemented on) - even if service on every last SI route has been made better (which I highly doubt, but that's neither here nor there)......

Let's say bustime has made service on the B63 better....

I'd give it its props, but I wouldn't go overboard with it; it's not necessary for me to show that much elation over an invention....

- All you've stated is that buses still bunch on the B63, which by the way is totally natural, but you've shared nothing else to show why you feel this way.

So am I supposed to post a bunch of stories to illustrate & show & prove to you my experiences on the 63.... Nevermind the fact that that's authoritative, but seriously, what would that change? Your acceptance of my position on this.... I mean c'mon......

Never understood why ppl. want to delve into why someone feels a certain way.... That is just crazy (there's that word again ;)) to me.... It's like you're disagreeing with me (which is fine) & tryna ultimately get me to see things more your way - on top of illustrating how correct you are (which is irritating)... More than it is you holding one position, me holding one position, and debating back & forth that way.....

Not that I have to prove anything further to you, but... again, what more do you want.....

You did just what I asked you to do from the start finally, which was display your position clearly with legitimate reasons. Now that wasn't so hard. Now I can understand why you feel the way you do and I would say that you've made very valid points as to why Bus Time may not improve service in many areas. As I said, I can only speak of my experiences. I still feel it has a ways to go. At least 3 times this week, I've tried to track buses that did not appear on Bus Time. Tonight, after coming from Spuyten Duyvil to see an apartment, I got back to my office in time to get the things I left behind and catch the X10 I needed to get the next to last S54. Well, that bus which was a NOVA did not show up on Bus Time once. I figured the bus wasn't sent out and went walking down to Victory to get some grub at Pat & Joe's. Well as I'm almost at Victory, what do I see but an S54, right on time and empty. I asked the B/O if bus tracking was working on that bus and he claimed it was but said he had no clue how to use Bus Time (lol). Anywho, long story short, my commute was quick, but the bus never showed on Bus Time.

That to me is a problem and needs to be improved. The only thing I can attest to so far is that my commute to and from work has gotten quicker and connections that I couldn't make before (because of early buses) are now not a problem. It doesn't mean my position is right and yours is wrong. It's just we've had different experiences. In sum, I think it would be wise for us (me included ;) to have a wait and see approach. I suppose I was so quick to praise the (MTA) because service for years has been so horrific that seeing a bus come on schedule is amazing. Sad, but true. In that way, you can see how unreliable service has been here over the years. :(

Archived