2 no shows! NICE!

PinePower

If that was the result of a missing bus on a particular line... as a passenger waiting for that particular bus, I'd be relieved.....

That bus should really be more crowded than what it is, given the level of service (in general) out there.....

....and before you start out with any overemotional, estrogenical laced a** response to the above....

No, I'm not excusing the missing runs that's ongoing out there.....

I'm convinced that you don't understand what "crowded" or "over crowded" actually means. Ride the N6 on a regular basis, especially during rush hour.

I've long been convinced of that..... I've seen clips of his where he's deemed a bus crowded w/ much less people on it than the one in that there clip......

I understand that terms are subjective.... but to this guy, if a bus doesn't have an available seat, it's crowded.... I'd go one further & say if every other seat on a bus is taken, that's considered crowded (to him)..... Overcrowding in dude's eyes amounts to regular crowding in most people's eyes.....

Way I see it, SRO ≠ Crowded.

If that was the result of a missing bus on a particular line... as a passenger waiting for that particular bus, I'd be relieved.....

That bus should really be more crowded than what it is, given the level of service (in general) out there.....

....and before you start out with any overemotional, estrogenical laced a** response to the above....

Right, I've been flagged after a missing run or an extremely late bus. At least he was able to get on.

I've long been convinced of that..... I've seen clips of his where he's deemed a bus crowded w/ much less people on it than the one in that there clip......

I understand that terms are subjective.... but to this guy, if a bus doesn't have an available seat, it's crowded.... I'd go one further & say if every other seat on a bus is taken, that's considered crowded (to him)..... Overcrowding in dude's eyes amounts to regular crowding in most people's eyes.....

Exactly, SRO does not equal crowded. He should also check out N6's on Sunday mornings.

I've seen videos of his where either most of the seats ore filled or there is one standee and he's like "look how crowded this bus is!"

To me, this is how I see it:

* Seated load or a few standees = Decent load

* More than 10-12 standees = Crowded

* Bus is flagging peple = Overcrowded

I used to only consider a bus overcrowded if it was flagging people and there was no space in the back (and I have been on buses that did that), but I lowered the standard because, from a passenger's perspective, if you can't get on, it doesn't matter if there's space because you weren't allowed to take advantage of it.

By the way, you notice how at the end, he talks about how "this would never happen in the city". The MTA is completely out of the service and yet us "city folk" somehow to blame (and somehow we don't have to deal with overcrowded buses either)

To be honest, I only watched half the video as I started to get annoyed with narrator.

I didn't know the bus in the beginning was people "off the wall" crowded, with just a handful of folks standing, literally.

Nice.

Acela, Take him with you on the 46 and show him "off the wall" crowded!

Rantpower doesn't know the true meaning of CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!! Use N6 and SCT S62,92 and S1 at rush hour and even S60 and S61 and you will KNOW WHAT CRUSHLOADED MEANS. Off topic this monday When I used NJT I learned the true meaning of "off the wall CROWDED" when I used 814 and 600 when connecting to the NEC that is CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked the 814 was hourly when I saw how bad the crowding really was it was FACE TO GLASS smothering crowded!!!!

Nah I will take him with me to NJ so he can taste CRUSHED and learn what CROWDED means man I should have done a video while on the 814 it was hell the 600 was just as CRUSHED!!!!!!!

You been to NJ so you probably know how bad the 600 gets right? Or am I the only one who used it here.

Nah I will take him with me to NJ so he can taste CRUSHED and learn what CROWDED means man I should have done a video while on the 814 it was hell the 600 was just as CRUSHED!!!!!!!

You been to NJ so you probably know how bad the 600 gets right? Or am I the only one who used it here.

No, I'll take him on the 46 as BZGuy originally recommended.

He'll know the meaning of crush loaded as the B46 is the heaviest line in the country.

Rantpower doesn't know the true meaning of CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!! Use N6 and SCT S62,92 and S1 at rush hour and even S60 and S61 and you will KNOW WHAT CRUSHLOADED MEANS. Off topic this monday When I used NJT I learned the true meaning of "off the wall CROWDED" when I used 814 and 600 when connecting to the NEC that is CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked the 814 was hourly when I saw how bad the crowding really was it was FACE TO GLASS smothering crowded!!!!

I would think Suffolk Bus Corp would disagree with you about the S61 being Crushloaded during rush hour (unless you are talking about Saturdays), as they run (besides 4 buses during that time) a 30ft Orion VII on a afternoon Rush hour run. Also I know a guy that has taken the S61 during the afternoon weekday rush hour and he has never once complained about a bus being crush loaded EXCEPT a few times when one rush hour bus was late and got curtailed to deadhead back to the other end of the route to get back on time.

The S62 would/will get crush loaded because traffic is horrible (It's so horrible that one Ex CBS driver use to love getting this one S62 run because he would get alot of overtime because of the traffic) on 347 at rush hour, and its always been like that. Til this day I will never understand how drivers of the S62 would be almost on time during rush hour. And CBS NEVER curtailed any of their runs.

The S60 normaly got full when SUNY Stony Brook was in session because SUNY Stony Brook students don't have no other transportation to the mall from the campus during the week. SUNY Stony Brook only provides transportation to the mall on Saturday and Sunday. The only off campus transportation SUNY Stony Brook provides during the week is to the SUNY Stony Brook campus in Southhampton (and that wasn't around in the 1990's)

When SUNY Stony Brook wasn't in session the route from Port Jefferson to Smith Haven was very light.

I would think Suffolk Bus Corp would disagree with you about the S61 being Crushloaded during rush hour (unless you are talking about Saturdays), as they run (besides 4 buses during that time) a 30ft Orion VII on a afternoon Rush hour run. Also I know a guy that has taken the S61 during the afternoon weekday rush hour and he has never once complained about a bus being crush loaded EXCEPT a few times when one rush hour bus was late and got curtailed to deadhead back to the other end of the route to get back on time.

The S62 would/will get crush loaded because traffic is horrible (It's so horrible that one Ex CBS driver use to love getting this one S62 run because he would get alot of overtime because of the traffic) on 347 at rush hour, and its always been like that. Til this day I will never understand how drivers of the S62 would be almost on time during rush hour. And CBS NEVER curtailed any of their runs.

The S60 normaly got full when SUNY Stony Brook was in session because SUNY Stony Brook students don't have no other transportation to the mall from the campus during the week. SUNY Stony Brook only provides transportation to the mall on Saturday and Sunday. The only off campus transportation SUNY Stony Brook provides during the week is to the SUNY Stony Brook campus in Southhampton (and that wasn't around in the 1990's)

When SUNY Stony Brook wasn't in session the route from Port Jefferson to Smith Haven was very light.

You know more than me about suffolk ridership levels ohh wise one due to experience. The reason why S62s are on-time at rush hour is beacause they FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!!!! When they are on that highway. Plus when speed limit is above 40 they floor it that is how they run on-time at rush.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B46 is the heviest in the country??? hevier than manhattan crosstowns and other buses?? how??

It just is.

Here's the 2009 ridership of all the NYCT routes in the city (copied directly from the MTA's stats, so no bias involved): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdGplTGJUVm9oZ25DT3JLRWRjbzZkT2c#gid=1

The M15 marginally beats out the B46 on weekdays (53,240 vs. 53,510), but the B46 makes up for it with its much higher weekend ridership (54,640 vs. 67,080)

Here's the annual ridership: mta.info | Facts and Figures

In any case, just because the line has the highest ridership in the country doesn't necessarily mean it's the most crowded. The line is very frequent, so the ridership is spread out across more buses, and the loading patterns help determine how crowded the route is (if there is a lot of turnover on the route, it can have high ridership and low crowding levels)

I remember B35 via Church saying that the B35 overall tends to be more crowded than the B46, despite having lower ridership (though not by a whole lot).

Higher ridership doesn't always equal more crowding. So your routes (the 600 and 814 and whatnot) probably have ridership that is a fraction of that of the B46, but the buses could be just as crowded nontheless.

In any case, just because the line has the highest ridership in the country doesn't necessarily mean it's the most crowded. The line is very frequent, so the ridership is spread out across more buses, and the loading patterns help determine how crowded the route is (if there is a lot of turnover on the route, it can have high ridership and low crowding levels)

OK, well I'm gonna step in as an operator who works the B46 85% of the time and say, 90% of those buses, especially during rush hour, are standing loads, mostly packed to the line. And though we have 132 runs out there to handle the load, it's still crazy out there.

Even the hawks have standing loads, especially on the weekends.

People just don't sleep on Utica Avenue...

BTW, B46 LTD service ends about 11:30PM to Midnight on the weekends.

Either way, the OP wants packed buses and traffic, I'll give him a true tour.

By the way, you notice how at the end, he talks about how "this would never happen in the city". The MTA is completely out of the service and yet us "city folk" somehow to blame (and somehow we don't have to deal with overcrowded buses either)

Just goes to show how naive the guy is.

Thanks for settin him straight; lmao @ S61 being crushloaded....

The S60 & 62 are crowded on occasion.... but you have to take into consideration, how much smaller those buses (and how MUCH less frequent) they are, compared to what we have to deal w/ in the city.....

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B46 is the heviest in the country??? heavier than manhattan crosstowns and other buses?? how??

You sound so shocked, especially being a Brooklynite....

Anyway, in order:

- Yes

- easily... remember, you said it yourself a while back, people are more prone to walking in manhattan....

- due to the amount of trips & passengers per trip in each direction

I remember B35 via Church saying that the B35 overall tends to be more crowded than the B46, despite having lower ridership (though not by a whole lot).

Higher ridership doesn't always equal more crowding. So your routes (the 600 and 814 and whatnot) probably have ridership that is a fraction of that of the B46, but the buses could be just as crowded nontheless.

Good memory btw... and I still feel that way.

Thank god for the dollar cabs.... They take MUCH more passengers off B35's..... I'll be the first one to tell you that just b/c buses run every ~2-3 mins during the rush here, don't mean aything's all good... especially for someone like me that does not like dealing w/ crowded buses....

c/s the rest of what you said too....

OK, well I'm gonna step in as an operator who works the B46 85% of the time and say, 90% of those buses, especially during rush hour, are standing loads, mostly packed to the line. And though we have 132 runs out there to handle the load, it's still crazy out there.

Even the hawks have standing loads, especially on the weekends.

People just don't sleep on Utica Avenue...

BTW, B46 LTD service ends about 11:30PM to Midnight on the weekends.

Either way, the OP wants packed buses and traffic, I'll give him a true tour.

True.... I'll say though, when the 46 bunches, it's more likely you'll see/catch an emptier bus.... If I'm not in a mood for walking, and I'm tryna catch the IRT, I'll take the 46 to eastern pkwy before I take the 35 to nostrand in the morning... yes, even though the distance is longer (well that, and the 4 gets you to manhattan a little quicker than the 5... and the 3 doesn't lag along the line like the 2 does)..... The chances of me gettin a seat is greater w/ the 46..... don't even have to think twice about that....

The 46 has more runs than the 35.... there are more physical buses (quantity wise) that experience standing loads.... total ridership numbers, by simple mathematics, the 46 has it [and every other line in the naych (nation)] beat.....

What checkmate is sayin (which he got from me) is that basically, the odds of seeing a jammed B35 during the day are greater than the odds of seeing a jammed B46....

Give you one example.

I can stand on the corner of Church & Utica (on utica) for a NB 46 around 7am.... out of every 10 buses, at least 7 of them are jammed - you will see at least 2 of em that are fairly empty (which are either the eastern pkwy short turns, or another bus to WBP that arrived a minute or two behind a bus also heading to WBP)....

I can stand on the corner of Church & E. 42nd (on church) for a WB 35 around that same time... out of 10 buses, 8 of them are gonna be jammed; there'll be one fairly empty bus, can't gather myself to say two... That's one reason why I eliminated the 35 as part of my morning commute a loooong time ago.... If service on the 7, 47, & 17 weren't as shitty as they are, there wouldn't be as many crushloaded buses on the 35, but that's another issue.....

The one thing I'll give the 46 during the rush is that it moves the crowds quicker/better.... simply can't say the same for this 35....

It aint me sleepin on Utica avenue either, bro.... I know what time it is (for erryone else though, I can't speak for)... don't have to remind me of the absolute madness that goes on at eastern pkwy (or fulton st) w/ SB B46's.... the B35 @ E. 18th or at nostrand av doesn't even come close regarding the loads at any one stop...

All of this is moot though, with the main point being... The buses are crowded, plain & simple (the N6 also falls into that category)....

What I'm hearing here about S(anything's), and NJT 600's or w/e, I'm like, just stop it......

As far as wanting packed... yeh, you can give him a personal tour on a B46 in both directions when it is most crowded....

I'll take him on every other brooklyn route that sees heavy crowding to further illustrate that point.... It'll make him shit his pants

(speaking of which... yes, I've seen those recent trolls on your YT page JQP, lmao... you tryna deny it, I DO remember you sayin that on your miumu forum... naaaaasty bwoy you !)

but anyway, LMAO at a couple people standing being deemed as overcrowded...

You know more than me about suffolk ridership levels ohh wise one due to experience. The reason why S62s are on-time at rush hour is beacause they FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!!!! When they are on that highway. Plus when speed limit is above 40 they floor it that is how they run on-time at rush.

Its impossible to Floor it on 347 during rush hour, the road gets packed. You try flooring it and your likely to hit the car infront of you and cause an accident.

It was a rhetorical question about wondering how the buses arrived early because I know how they did it, back before 1998 the S62's heading to Riverhead were allowed to cut behind the Port Jefferson Shopping Center which saved them from having to go the current routeing which saved then like 5 minutes or so.

Its not only experience of riding the S62 that I know about traffic on 347, I spent the first 11 years of my life in the area of Port Jefferson Station, I had to cross it many of times to go food shopping or to go home from the bus stop at the shopping plaza or to get to Port Jefferson Village. That is what makes me an expert on matters relating to bus movements or traffic movements on 347.

Hopefully the construction work to widen 347 (which is still in Hauppauge) will help the traffic problem in the years to come.

Just goes to show how naive the guy is.

Thanks for settin him straight; lmao @ S61 being crushloaded....

The S60 & 62 are crowded on occasion.... but you have to take into consideration, how much smaller those buses (and how MUCH less frequent) they are, compared to what we have to deal w/ in the city.....

I wasn't trying to compare the routes with routes in the city, also I wasn't trying to say that those routes don't get crowded.

With the S60, I was pointing out that crowding on the route would happen more when SUNY Stony Brook is in session then when it wasn't, so to say that the route is always crowded would be a lie.

With the S62, I don't think I said that they never get crowded, I just said that the reason that some runs would get crowded is because of the traffic on 347, which would make a bus late, though I don't ever recall a bus being extremely late (like an hour).

That 1800 that passed e/b had standees from the very front of the bus to the back, it was wall of people. I doubt the bus would've been able to fit many more people on. Remember the seating layout is 2x2, less aisle space so standing loads are harder to deal with. People getting off often get delayed pushing through, delaying the bus further.

The bus I was on was NOT overcrowded, abit crowded yes, and I only say that because with a few standees there will be at least 20 more pax getting on at E.Gate Blvd, by the time it arrives to the mall there's even more.

City ppl have to understand it's a different ball game. How long do most people spend on a city bus? 10-20 mins tops...most likely. On the routes out here, many can spend 45-60 min or more, an awful long time to stand. So you're waiting for a bus that runs every 30 min and then you wait another 30 mins, the bus comes and you squeeze on and stand for another hour, and that's if you're lucky and fit on....

I'm sorry its hard to have sympathy for NYC riders when most buses come every 5-10 minutes.

On Sunday I witnessed an N22 headed to Jamaica leave the mall full (7:40pm ish) with at least 35-40 people left at the stop. The N22 runs only every hour at the time in that direction, and there will be people flagged all along Hillside for sure, only to wait another hour to hope to get on the next bus.

Yeah there's empty runs out here, and there's plenty more in the city. I'm just tired of the double standard we get here on the island...:)

Its impossible to Floor it on 347 during rush hour, the road gets packed. You try flooring it and your likely to hit the car infront of you and cause an accident.

It was a rhetorical question about wondering how the buses arrived early because I know how they did it, back before 1998 the S62's heading to Riverhead were allowed to cut behind the Port Jefferson Shopping Center which saved them from having to go the current routeing which saved then like 5 minutes or so.

Its not only experience of riding the S62 that I know about traffic on 347, I spent the first 11 years of my life in the area of Port Jefferson Station, I had to cross it many of times to go food shopping or to go home from the bus stop at the shopping plaza or to get to Port Jefferson Village. That is what makes me an expert on matters relating to bus movements or traffic movements on 347.

Hopefully the construction work to widen 347 (which is still in Hauppauge) will help the traffic problem in the years to come.

I wasn't trying to compare the routes with routes in the city, also I wasn't trying to say that those routes don't get crowded.

With the S60, I was pointing out that crowding on the route would happen more when SUNY Stony Brook is in session then when it wasn't, so to say that the route is always crowded would be a lie.

With the S62, I don't think I said that they never get crowded, I just said that the reason that some runs would get crowded is because of the traffic on 347, which would make a bus late, though I don't ever recall a bus being extremely late (like an hour).

This is what I mean, city ppl dont understand the routes out here! Floor it along 347??? I had a good laugh, there's always traffic and cars in front of you on that road, then you have the traffic lights which used to be good years ago but are now messed up and you have to stop at every one!

The S62 used to be more on time but now with the traffic and the messed up signals forget about it! I will say Suffolk Bus has been doing a good job keeping time, the S62 seems to be better than it used to be. I've never seen the S62 bunch but I remember being over an hour late once, spend 2 hours on 9904 several years back, there was a heavy snowfall several days prior and it was before Christmas so there was mall traffic, it was backed up going all the way from Rocky point to the mall...I'll never forget that night!

I sure hope that 347 project improves the situation, but the real problem is the lights, they are all out of sync. They do it on purpose I think, my theory is to frustrate drivers so they run a light and get caught by the camera.:)

yeah yeah, I got what you were saying....

I was making a point of my own.

That 1800 that passed e/b had standees from the very front of the bus to the back, it was wall of people. I doubt the bus would've been able to fit many more people on. Remember the seating layout is 2x2, less aisle space so standing loads are harder to deal with. People getting off often get delayed pushing through, delaying the bus further.

The bus I was on was NOT overcrowded, abit crowded yes, and I only say that because with a few standees there will be at least 20 more pax getting on at E.Gate Blvd, by the time it arrives to the mall there's even more.

City ppl have to understand it's a different ball game.

How long do most people spend on a city bus? 10-20 mins tops...most likely. On the routes out here, many can spend 45-60 min or more, an awful long time to stand. So you're waiting for a bus that runs every 30 min and then you wait another 30 mins, the bus comes and you squeeze on and stand for another hour, and that's if you're lucky and fit on....

I'm sorry its hard to have sympathy for NYC riders when most buses come every 5-10 minutes.

On Sunday I witnessed an N22 headed to Jamaica leave the mall full (7:40pm ish) with at least 35-40 people left at the stop. The N22 runs only every hour at the time in that direction, and there will be people flagged all along Hillside for sure, only to wait another hour to hope to get on the next bus.

Yeah there's empty runs out here, and there's plenty more in the city. I'm just tired of the double standard we get here on the island...:)

This is what I mean, city ppl dont understand the routes out here!

Pinepower, Who the **** is asking for sympathy....

For starters, what difference does it make if a rider is spending 10 minutes on a bus or an hour on a bus, as it pertains to the level of crowding on a bus.... The fact of the matter is, the buses are still crowded here in the city....

You can come up with all the minimilization BS that you like, it doesn't change that fact.... Coming on here portraying this picture that there are so many goddamn buses out in Nassau county that are crowded, and there being SO many empty buses in the boroughs.... How many times do we have to hear from you about the buses being so crowded out there.... Out here, it's to be expected, it's the norm.... This forum would crash if we had folks comin on here everyday talkin about how damn packed the buses are......

Sure no one enjoys & looks forward to standing for any long duration on a bus.... Nassau is growing; with that comes more people... with that comes more people RIDING THE BUS.... This is your real issue, one you're just gonna have to tuck your belly in your pants and suck the hell up.... I remember your little video talkin about how you miss when the roads used to be relatively empty & so few ppl. on the buses.....

If buses out there came every 5-10 minutes, a hell of a lot of more buses would be running empty (even during peak hours)... Far more so than the ones here in the boroughs during off peak hours.... So what are you really sayin with that?

And double standard? lmfao..... still stuck on that "the MTA treats us like shit" mentality I see....

Lets fess up and cut the crap... You want the buses you have to take running emptier out there.... That is not realistic.... Especially when we're talking about the inter-county routes.... NICE (or any other transportation company) could give two shits about your personal needs & wants....

It's one thing to want more service b/c the current levels are inadequate.....

It's quite another to want emptier buses to make life easier for YOU...

Get real......

This is what I mean, city ppl dont understand the routes out here! Floor it along 347??? I had a good laugh, there's always traffic and cars in front of you on that road, then you have the traffic lights which used to be good years ago but are now messed up and you have to stop at every one!

The S62 used to be more on time but now with the traffic and the messed up signals forget about it! I will say Suffolk Bus has been doing a good job keeping time, the S62 seems to be better than it used to be. I've never seen the S62 bunch but I remember being over an hour late once, spend 2 hours on 9904 several years back, there was a heavy snowfall several days prior and it was before Christmas so there was mall traffic, it was backed up going all the way from Rocky point to the mall...I'll never forget that night!

I sure hope that 347 project improves the situation, but the real problem is the lights, they are all out of sync. They do it on purpose I think, my theory is to frustrate drivers so they run a light and get caught by the camera.:)

The lights have been out of sync for as long as I can remember.

I hope as well that the project helps with traffic conditions, it would make it a lot tough to cross on foot tough. (they are adding a lane in each direction, and there is already three lanes, not counting the turning lanes)

yeah yeah, I got what you were saying....

I was making a point of my own.

I figured you were making a point, thats why I tried wording it so it wouldn't sound augmentative.

Archived