The Future of the current 50 R42's

R32 3838

As some of the latest photos on NYCSubway.org show, scrapping of the R44s is now underway. This one appears to be a SI unit, making it 402. I wouldn't be surpised if the R42s in dead storage as well as the stored R32s go next, but anything is subject to change.

R44 scrapping has not started, those cars have been stripped for almost a year now.

Put the 32's in SI?

I just came off working the (C) tonight, Theres really nothing wrong with them, they run hard everything works in them, Just spread them around the division so some are here and there you know. They don't have to destroy them just keep them on ice or for special ocassions.

It's a pity the reef program ended before R32s were dumped in the ocean. All that steel could've been useful as scrap or something.

Yeah, but at least under water, they hold up longer, than cutting them. The best thing would have been some other above ground use.

(What I wonder is why they don't seem to strip the poles and other handholds out of cars. That metal should be worth money, shouldn't it?)

Correct, Thats from my angle, Maybe the T/O loves em, but for a C/R there is no seating and just 1 window in that coffin. I can't see how these guys did it from Far Rock to 207 @ 1am making every stop.

Perhaps you should not be locked in that coffin, but standing outside it with the door open and in view of your customers. :P

I guess everyone likes what they're comfortable with. I would prefer them to an R-32.

Put the 32's in SI?

I just came off working the (C) tonight, Theres really nothing wrong with them, they run hard everything works in them, Just spread them around the division so some are here and there you know. They don't have to destroy them just keep them on ice or for special ocassions.

I said the same thing, Spread the R32's around, Let Jamaica and CI get 50 each and the rest stay at 207th

It's been already explained that out having multiple fleets at multiple yards would be detrimental. That is why the fleet is concentrated on the (C) line as it is a lower demanding line. Even Jamaica's (R) line is fairly busy, so you can forget about R32s going back there unless it was a museum trip or a rerouted (C) train.

Put the 32's in SI?

Not for SI. Being isolated as they are, they should have one type and why give them cars that will last 3+ years? If you want to give SI 2nd hand cars give them R68s which will be around 15+ years and not worry about refitting subway cars for the SIRT.

It's been already explained that out having multiple fleets at multiple yards would be detrimental. That is why the fleet is concentrated on the (C) line as it is a lower demanding line. Even Jamaica's (R) line is fairly busy, so you can forget about R32s going back there unless it was a museum trip or a rerouted (C) train.

Not for SI. Being isolated as they are, they should have one type and why give them cars that will last 3+ years? If you want to give SI 2nd hand cars give them R68s which will be around 15+ years and not worry about refitting subway cars for the SIRT.

You Never Know what can happen, they have 7 plus years left, plus the (C) is becoming political city, I don't think these yards would care less about parts but sooner or later the R32's are gonna have no choice but the leave the (C), hearing the News stories and etc is not a good sign, it might be a pain in the ass to spread them around but they might have no choice but to do it, politics do play a major role sometimes

back to the R42 topic, we will have to wait and see what they will do with the R42's

Archived