Questions to NYC T/O and C/R

vprojis

Hi, Not sure if this is right section to post this....

just have few question..

Those of who work in the RTO,

1. How easy/hard is it to take a day off (like a AVA or a 1 day Vacation)??

2. How easy/hard is it to get a 2 or 3 weeks of vacation when you actually need it??

3. How often do you guys have to stay late (OT) after work because of delay or some other reasons??

4. How senior do you have to be in order to get SAT/SUN off (RDO)??

Just want to knw.... Thanks.. :P

Hi, Not sure if this is right section to post this....

just have few question..

Those of who work in the RTO,

1. How easy/hard is it to take a day off (like a AVA or a 1 day Vacation)??

You have a choice to take a vacation week in individual days (called VIDs), and you have to choose which days you want in advance. Can't pick holidays with those obviously, and difficult/impossible to get other "holidays" (such as Super Bowl, Mother's Day, Black Friday, New Years Eve, Easter). As far as AVA's, Sun/Sat are very hard, Mon/Fri are moderate, Tue/Wed/Thu are almost always given unless something popular is going on that week (like a midweek holiday and you want the "eve")

2. How easy/hard is it to get a 2 or 3 weeks of vacation when you actually need it??

Picked based on seniority, expect at minimum a 5 year wait in title for anything during the warm months (May/Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep). There's plenty available in Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/late Oct/early Nov minus those weeks when kids are off.

3. How often do you guys have to stay late (OT) after work because of delay or some other reasons??

Flagging and other minor delays 15 mins most. Major delays such as BIE/12-9, etc 30 mins+

4. How senior do you have to be in order to get SAT/SUN off (RDO)??

Picked job or RDO relief with SS...

C/R - ~7-10 years

T/O - ~10-15 years

PM's will come first, than AM's than Mid (which is SM in that case).

Vacation Relief (VR) will yield you results of S/S with fewer years than that, but that won't be constant, only during holiday weeks. If you don't have a tour preference, VR is the best way to go until you can pick the tour/RDO you want. VR is obviously harder to pick in the summer with the sheer quantity of SS on the bid sheet.

Just want to knw.... Thanks.. :P

Answers in Cyan

I'm here 11 years, and I only the past couple of years could start getting vacation in June and a year or two before that, Sept, and still can't get July or August (Though I've always spaced them out where I get one in spring, and the other around Sept. even before I came to Transit and could get Jul/Aug if I wanted).

What I'm waiting for now is the 5th week, which is after 15 years, I believe.

For this year, I've spread one of the weeks out into VID, for four consecutive Saturdays, today being the 3rd! Four day week/3 day weekend is cool! (esp. since Sat. was the hardest job). I figured that would make the week easier.

I could have gotten S/S in Queens on PM's, if I wanted.

Interesting.

In case you didn't already know, the last date to file for the May TD exam is Feb. 28–must have a year in title (TWR, TO or ATD) by test date. Application is on TENS.

EDIT: I'm also noticing that B DIV T/Os seem to even initially have trouble even picking vacation in September? I'm new in title and division and was able to pick vacation in September... I guess I'll say goodbye to it if I pick back to the B.

Interesting.

In case you didn't already know, the last date to file for the May TD exam is Feb. 28–must have a year in title (TWR, TO or ATD) by test date. Application is on TENS.

EDIT: I'm also noticing that B DIV T/Os seem to even initially have trouble even picking vacation in September? I'm new in title and division and was able to pick vacation in September... I guess I'll say goodbye to it if I pick back to the B.

As far as I know, you pick sooner in the A than B, vacation quality is better sooner in the A than B, but job quality is better sooner in the B than A.

but job quality is better sooner in the B than A.

what do you mean by "job quality"? does the A division suck? i wanna know because i live in the Bronx (A division land) and read on the forums that right now the A division is short handed (likely to send me there when i get called)

Job quality as in the quality of picked jobs once you begin to pick. For instance, you can get a piece of AM's (if that's your preference) before three years in title in the B. In the IRT hell no lol. If a C/R gets a piece of AM in 3 years in the A div they did well. The last things to go are always the 5 trippers on the (7) for no money and late 8hr jobs on the (1) and (6). But in vacation, A will net you better vacations sooner. I know people who was rookie rooks as T/O and got late April and a piece of May their first vacation pick. September was there for them too. Even late september was locked out by time I got to pick vacation last year. But if its location location location, you roll with the punches. You will have to.

One has to be able to pick a job in their desired division (A/B/C). Vacation picks are near the end of each year and are in seniority order. If you're off the street coming into C/R or T/O, you won't be able to pick vacation until fall 2013.

You'll have better success messaging any one of the employees here directly instead of posting general questions to this forum. Preferably one in the same title as the one in question, as rules and picks and availability are different in each title.

As far as which division is better to work in, it's a personal thing. IRT/A are shorter lines, B div longer runs. Usually once you start somewhere, most are reluctant to switch cause its learning new system, places, people..

I ran into a bunch of IRT motormen at an bowling event. To them the though of being on a train for an hour half was insane.. I didn't have the heart to tell them about my 5 hour stint during the 36st flood.. LOL

All the other stuff is already covered. You cant get summer weeks until forever,but can couple 3 vacation in days with rdo's to get summer time off non holiday weeks...

That adjustment is a bit overrated with the big turnover lately. There are a lot of A Div TSS back in the B and B Div TSS went to the A or flagging (along with the recent retirees). Supervision as a whole has gone from the A to B and vice versa a lot lately, the stark differences wasn't what they probably used to be.

Archived