Subway to MTABC Transfer Question

Orion VII 4 Life

OK, so today I went to Queens and transfered from the (E) at 71st to the Q23. When I got on the bus and inserted my MetroCard, the farebox said "$2.25 Paid" instead of "1 Xfer OK" like it should do as it was within 2 hours of me getting on the (E) at WTC. Later, I transfered from the (Q60) to the (7) at 46th Street, and the turnstile said it took $2.25 off my card rather than "Xfer OK". I checked the balance on my MetroCard when I got to Manhattan, and I only got charged 2 rides like I should have. Is it normal for this to happen when transferring from the subway to (MTA) Bus routes and vice versa?

Also, this has never happened to me transferring form the subway to a NYCT bus or vice versa. The farebox/turnstile will always say "Xfer OK".

it was probably a messed up fair box. I've had that happen to me transferring to MTABC buses and NYCT buses. Oftentimes the magnetic reader is dirty.

Or maybe it's an error with the computer itself. Everything worked as it should've (It took the transfer off instead of charging an extra fare), but the display was the problem. Maybe it's just some error with the reader connecting to the display.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so today I went to Queens and transfered from the (E) at 71st to the Q23. When I got on the bus and inserted my MetroCard, the farebox said "$2.25 Paid" instead of "1 Xfer OK" like it should do as it was within 2 hours of me getting on the (E) at WTC. Later, I transfered from the (Q60) to the (7) at 46th Street, and the turnstile said it took $2.25 off my card rather than "Xfer OK". I checked the balance on my MetroCard when I got to Manhattan, and I only got charged 2 rides like I should have. Is it normal for this to happen when transferring from the subway to (MTA) Bus routes and vice versa?

Also, this has never happened to me transferring form the subway to a NYCT bus or vice versa. The farebox/turnstile will always say "Xfer OK".

You can call up and ask for a refund.

Some fareboxes reads 'fare paid' rather than xfer. It's very annoying as you must keep track of the card's balance to make sure you didn't lose a fare when it should've been a transfer. But always keep track of the bus route and time if that message does show. Sometimes the same can be said about the subway turnstile, record the time and location.

But the pay per ride card I used last did have issues where it kept taking another fare rather than a transfer. I had to mail it to the MTA for my refunds. So yeah, there are cards that are just screwed up.

It takes time to get a new metrocard replacement (about 6 or 8 weeks), but they are very thorough. I have had to mail in 2 or 3 cards, and they send me back a new card with a detailed letter explaining each place I lost money. I

n these cases, I sent the card back because it stopped working, but they discovered that the card had also lost money while it was still working (such as losing a transfer), so they sent me new cards with the total new value. Very good work on their part.

it depends how much time passed.

You can call up and ask for a refund.

Even if it didn't take additional fares....I would still have the Token Booth Clerk swap it out for a new card, it still isn't functioning like it should.

Happens frequently from what I hear. However, the fare should not have been taken off even if it said it did. Your ballance should still be the same. I have never experienced this personally because I don't use pay-per-ride cards. Check your ballance at the booth to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...
It takes time to get a new metrocard replacement (about 6 or 8 weeks), but they are very thorough. I have had to mail in 2 or 3 cards, and they send me back a new card with a detailed letter explaining each place I lost money. I

n these cases, I sent the card back because it stopped working, but they discovered that the card had also lost money while it was still working (such as losing a transfer), so they sent me new cards with the total new value. Very good work on their part.

There is now EFIX on MTA.info. One can type in the problem on the computer and not have to mail it in.

Archived