Bronx bus fuss over new system

Trainspotter

Bronx bus fuss over new system

By Jenny Merkin

NY DAILY NEWS

June 29th 2008

IMGP1989_2.jpg

Many Bronx bus riders were baffled Sunday by a new pay-before-boarding pilot program designed to speed up trips.

"This is not a good system," said Anna Rivera, 53, of the Bronx, who accidentally wound up paying twice before boarding the Bx12 at Fordham Plaza on the first day of the Select Bus Service.

The new system will get its biggest test during Monday's morning and evening rush. Some 42,000 daily commuters take the Bx12, which crosses the central Bronx after leaving Inwood and ends in Co-op City.

"I hate this thing," said rider Mahadai Sing of the Bronx. "It's too confusing."

Machines set up at stops along the route let commuters pay with a MetroCard or cash. Riders must carry receipts, to be checked at random, or face $60 fines.

Riders can board at the front or back, and there are signal controls that delay lights to allow buses to pass - a plan designed to cut travel time by up to 20%.

alg_bus-map.gif

These people are just not use to the concept of POP (Proff Of Payment) and pay-before-boarding. Its something freaking new, give it a chance.

I rode +Select Bus Service+ yesterday, and I got to say, the service is great. I like the concept of pay before boarding because once people get use to it, it'll definately be a speedier ride. Today is a real test for the MTA, see how SBS did today with a rush hour crowd and really put those bus lanes to work today.

So +SBS is good in my book.

It works for commuter rail, light rail, trollies, and trams, so it should work for bus, which operates on similar principals.

By the way, that bus photo is nice... Wish all of them had that scheme going on!

- Andy

Riders of the MTA for the most part are and will always be stuck on stupid. The other day there was a sign stuck and the driver was a little worried about it but I told him people don't read it anyways. There was no problem since people didn't look at the sign to begin with.

It sucks that many people in NYC are so damn slow, they never understand how anything works, the answer is right in thier face and they still don't know. They complain about bus service then MTA tries to help them, and now they complain more. I believe NYC should've got this a long time ago but still...

I'm glad for SBS, now they can do something about people who don't pay thier fare at all (then again they might take the Bx12 local... GREAT), I wonder if this is a success if they would do this for the B35 and maybe the Q44.

It sucks that many people in NYC are so damn slow, they never understand how anything works, the answer is right in thier face and they still don't know. They complain about bus service then MTA tries to help them, and now they complain more. I believe NYC should've got this a long time ago but still...

I'm glad for SBS, now they can do something about people who don't pay thier fare at all (then again they might take the Bx12 local... GREAT), I wonder if this is a success if they would do this for the B35 and maybe the Q44.

How will this pilot program get people to pay their fare???

How will this pilot program get people to pay their fare???

Simple, if you get on the bus with no receipt, and a fare inspector comes on, you get slapped with a $100 dollar fine.

Its not worth taking the risk, and the service is quite frequent if you miss a bus.

Give it time, it'll work out. The system of POP works fine in other transit systems, like across the river for instance (isn't the best, but hey, its not a complete bust).

Simple, if you get on the bus with no receipt, and a fare inspector comes on, you get slapped with a $100 dollar fine.

Its not worth taking the risk, and the service is quite frequent if you miss a bus.

Give it time, it'll work out. The system of POP works fine in other transit systems, like across the river for instance (isn't the best, but hey, its not a complete bust).

Fare inspector???? They have no law enforcement power! They have as much power as the bus operator telling you to pay your fair! You don't have to give them any form of i.d. I see riders making lots of complaints.

Fare inspector???? They have no law enforcement power! They have as much power as the bus operator telling you to pay your fair! You don't have to give them any form of i.d. I see riders making lots of complaints.

Fare inspectors don't have much law enforcement powers but they're job is to go around checking people's fare, which in the case of SBS is a receipt, and if one doesn't have it, they are to give you a $100 dollar fine.

Its the same with NJT in their light rail systems, they have fare inspectors, which can also be police offiers at times doing fare inspecting. Also with other systems.

People are complaining because they're not use to this and are too ignorant to adapt to such system.

Fare inspectors don't have much law enforcement powers but they're job is to go around checking people's fare, which in the case of SBS is a receipt, and if one doesn't have it, they are to give you a $100 dollar fine.

Its the same with NJT in their light rail systems, they have fare inspectors, which can also be police offiers at times doing fare inspecting. Also with other systems.

People are complaining because they're not use to this and are too ignorant to adapt to such system.

you don't get it.The fare inspectors are civilians! If you do not cooperate there is noThing they can do. you can basically tell them f$%^ off.There is nothing they can do,the have no powers of arrest.........get it?

you don't get it.The fare inspectors are civilians! If you do not cooperate there is noThing they can do. you can basically tell them f$%^ off.There is nothing they can do,the have no powers of arrest.........get it?
So more people is not going to pay thier fare and try to get away with it... Give it a few weeks and word will spread that you will get away with it. But for now I'm sure people is just taking the Bx12 local.

Nope. Fare Inspectors can give you a 100 dollar fine for not having your fare. Their job, is go on board, check if people have their fare, and if they don't, slap them with a fine.

You seem not to get it.

They are not police officers.If you refuse to give them id ,they can't give you a ticket thei nspectors can't arrest you or compel you to give them id. they can't touch you They would have to call a cop,that would delay the bus. It would be the same if some regular joe on the street sees you pass a red light in your car.he comes up to you and says "give me your id,i'm giving you a ticket" you would give him your license? i don't think so. They have the same powers an unarmed security guard has..................which is close to nothing.

I think theses so Called cops are lazy or lost....there were three at one bus stop and two SBS buses pull in....do you think they went onto the bus?no they was just looking at the buses and one was on his cell phone-WTF.One more thing,why they need to have three of them at one bus stop?

Archived