Pat Robertson: Marijuana should be legal

mark1447

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says marijuana should be legalized and treated like alcohol because the government's war on drugs has failed.

The outspoken evangelical Christian and host of "The 700 Club" on the Virginia Beach-based Christian Broadcasting Network he founded said the war on drugs is costing taxpayers billions of dollars. He said people should not be sent to prison for marijuana possession.

The 81-year-old first became a self-proclaimed "hero of the hippie culture" in 2010 when called for ending mandatory prison sentences for marijuana possession convictions.

"I just think it's shocking how many of these young people wind up in prison and they get turned into hardcore criminals because they had a possession of a very small amount of a controlled substance," Robertson said on his show March 1. "The whole thing is crazy. We've said, `Well, we're conservatives, we're tough on crime.' That's baloney."

Robertson's support for legalizing pot appeared in a New York Times story published Thursday. His spokesman confirmed to AP that Robertson supports legalization with regulation. Robertson was not made available for an interview.

"I really believe we should treat marijuana the way we treat beverage alcohol," Robertson told the newspaper. "If people can go into a liquor store and buy a bottle of alcohol and drink it at home legally, then why do we say that the use of this other substance is somehow criminal?"

More:

Pat Robertson: Marijuana should be legal - CBS News

We can't legalize pot!! The federal government makes wayyyyy too much money locking up our brothers and sisters for that to happen...

Like a house of cards; it would all come tumbling down...

Yeah, at this point the only way to 'win the war' is to just legalize the lesser stuff. People when very desperate will find a way to obtain those drugs anyway. All I say is whatever illness they get from using those drugs, they pay 100% of the medical costs it takes to fix the side effects. "you use it, your problem."

As for drug users, I don't believe prison is the answer for them. They need rehab. The dealers are the one that deserves harsher sentences.

Guest lance25
I bet during the times of Prohibition there was a lot of alcohol smuggling just like there are drugs now.

A simple Google or Wikipedia search would've confirmed that easily.

Drugs should be legal. The reason being it would end our long drug wars, and not just that it would encourage youngsters to stop doing it. Make it legal for young people and they stop. The reason is youngsters think that doing illegal stuff makes them cool. Make it all legal and it's uncool and it would stop. The government can tax the drugs and make billions of dollars, but even then the companies and corporations will never allow it. Marijuana or hemp can be used for paper and other things and lumber industries will lose money. That is why all those drugs were made illegal to save those industries. That is another reason why all drugs should be legal. Hell take away all the drinking age too. It would make beer unappealing to young people. Making it harder will only make it cooler. Make it uncool and no one does it.

Archived