Lower Montauk Branch Question

Jamaica Line

Thanks guys. Thou that might be two passenger trains a day. Lately I've been walking along the ROW and have seen one passenger train heading westbound around late 3 to early 4 in the evening for about three days now.

The crew's assignment probably begins in the afternoon, signing up at Morris Park. The train deadheads to LIC for a long trip, probably to Greenport, Montauk, or Port Jeff.

The crew's assignment probably begins in the afternoon, signing up at Morris Park. The train deadheads to LIC for a long trip, probably to Greenport, Montauk, or Port Jeff.

Makes sense since I have not seen any passengers on those runs. At first I thought they were running light but didn't want to be too sure since the windows on those cars are heavily tinted. Now I know for sure, much thanks.

The one train that runs in service on this line is a train that leaves Jamaica @ 8:11 AM and originates in Oyster Bay.

This train doesn't stop at Hunterpoint (As LM bypasses it) so that's how one is able to find it on the Paper timetable.

For anybody who wants to ride a train on that line.

The one train that runs in service on this line is a train that leaves Jamaica @ 8:11 AM and originates in Oyster Bay.

This train doesn't stop at Hunterpoint (As LM bypasses it) so that's how one is able to find it on the Paper timetable.

For anybody who wants to ride a train on that line.

Is that train in push-pull mode? I'd love to see an EMD hauling the cars. So far I haven't seen a deadhead not in push-pull mode.

Every train to LIC is in push-pull mode. There's no wye to turn a train. ;)

The LIRR does run some diesel sets with locomotives on both ends of the train. I know the Cannonball runs like that, today I seen a diesel set with engines on both ends pass the train I was riding on the Oyster Bay Branch this evening.

It only has one passenger train a day, a train that Originates in Oyster Bay in the AM rush.

IDK about freights though.

There might also be some deadhead moves from Morris Park.

Thanks guys. Thou that might be two passenger trains a day. Lately I've been walking along the ROW and have seen one passenger train heading westbound around late 3 to early 4 in the evening for about three days now.

Although there's only one revenue run (there used to be an eastbound peak run to OB until it was rerouted to serve Hunterspoint), there are deadheads throughout the day. Some are to / from Jamaica, others to Morris Park, yet others are work trains. I know there is at least one eastbound deadhead to Jamaica around 730-8 am, and several more in both directions throughout the day

A couple of questions:

How does push-pull mode work? I've rode the LIRR and MNRR a few times, but I wasn't paying attention to how the cars worked. If the locomotive is all the way in the back of the train, how can the operator see what's in front of the train? :wacko:

Why do LIRR operators have to go all the way up to Morris Park (I assume in The Bronx, since that's the only one I know of) to sign in?

A couple of questions:

How does push-pull mode work? I've rode the LIRR and MNRR a few times, but I wasn't paying attention to how the cars worked. If the locomotive is all the way in the back of the train, how can the operator see what's in front of the train? :wacko:

Why do LIRR operators have to go all the way up to Morris Park (I assume in The Bronx, since that's the only one I know of) to sign in?

Morris Park is Jamaica Yard to differentiate from Jamaica Station. You may be thinking of Mott Haven Yard or Morrisiana. Morris Park is the sign up point for diesel service only.

The opposite end of a push-pull train has operating controls. The diesel is controlled from the other end of the train. If a car with an operating cab isn't available, a diesel is substituted so there are diesels are both ends.

Archived