Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...are you using the same MTA I'm using? Because the MTA provides a free transfer to another bus or subway route within 2 hours of the first swipe.

Jesus, learn about the transit system before you comment on something like this.

We could get the most riders by offering chauffeured luxury pods and delivering door to door service. Oh wait, that's called a cab.

With the MTA's finite resources, not all riders are worth serving. LIC is an area with both multiple easy airport connections and decent bus coverage, so it's not a "coverage" route. LIC residents also generally work in Manhattan and not LGA. Finally, there are very few office complexes in LIC (besides the Citibank tower, but they would probably call a cab anyways), and there aren't that many people who travel on a regular basis, so I don't know where you're pulling your demand expectations from.

Much of the demand comes from the people who use the (N) to the M60 or the (7) to the Q33 and there's plenty. And cabs although are more convenient as they go up to your door, they like to run up the meter and drive in circles (happens to me when I use it from the airport). And about free transfers I always had to pay again to change buses. Also about coverage well the Q70 isn't a coverage route and it will certainly be successful so that point is moot.

Both the Q23 and Q29 enter Middle Village..

They go near Middle Village but not through it. Even then BreeddekalbL's proposal is a horrible idea as it creates another Q38 like route and makes service unreliable for people in East Elmhurst.

Much of the demand comes from the people who use the (N) to the M60 or the (7) to the Q33 and there's plenty. And cabs although are more convenient as they go up to your door, they like to run up the meter and drive in circles (happens to me when I use it from the airport). And about free transfers I always had to pay again to change buses. Also about coverage well the Q70 isn't a coverage route and it will certainly be successful so that point is moot.

They go near Middle Village but not through it. Even then BreeddekalbL's proposal is a horrible idea as it creates another Q38 like route and makes service unreliable for people in East Elmhurst.

Since I live in Middle Village, the Q29 enters and goes through Dry Harbor, which is a subsection of Middle Village.

The Q23 portion of Woodhaven Blvd is Middle Village also.

Since I live in Middle Village, the Q29 enters and goes through Dry Harbor, which is a subsection of Middle Village.

The Q23 portion of Woodhaven Blvd is Middle Village also.

My bad, I though the Woodhaven section was part of Forest Hills and Dry Harbor was in Elmhurst. Regardless still combining the Q23 and Q29 is a stupid idea.

All I'm gonna say right now is that, the time for suggesting cutting Q21's have long past.... GBL ran the route like crap, MTA Bus tried to do what it could the first go-round, and things only got better with that route from there on in..... Cramming all the local riders on Q11's & cutting overall service in Lindenwood aren't the way to go...

Think outside the box.

Interesting what ya have in mind?

This is of dubious benefit, because honestly, it would be faster for people to stay on the trains to catch other connecting airport buses. The only route in the Queens Plaza area that doesn't already have a connecting bus route to LGA is the (G), and (G) ridership to the airport is definitely not high enough to support a new bus. Why does everyone think LaGuardia needs more buses? .-.

Alright, I'm going to stop you right here because that is delusional. There is currently no new route starting with headways better than 30 minutes during the peak (except the Q70, but that's because DOT and MTA have this weird mindset that the airport is some sort of magical ridership generator that has a giant pot of passengers at the end of the rainbow.)

Well simple look at the GCP that is all the evidence you need. I admit a queens plaza route would be duplicate of the (N) to M60 & QBL express to Q70.

combining the q23 and the q29

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e36b33af6b6ed8bf6

since everyone is enamored with the q29 and the q33 or the q32 and q33 i propose an alternative combining the q23 and the q29 bus routes which would be renamed the Q23. purpose of combining the q23 with the q29 is to give people a connection to middle village without having to touch manhattan and give service to roosevelt ave from 83rd to 108th street

You can't be serious WTF DUDE

combining the q23 and the q29

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e36b33af6b6ed8bf6

since everyone is enamored with the q29 and the q33 or the q32 and q33 i propose an alternative combining the q23 and the q29 bus routes which would be renamed the Q23. purpose of combining the q23 with the q29 is to give people a connection to middle village without having to touch manhattan and give service to roosevelt ave from 83rd to 108th street

....except the Q23 has nothing to do with the routes that the Q70 might/will effect.

Notice that the Q33 is the common denominator with what you say that everyone is enamored by or whatever....

The Q33 is the route that will be directly affected with the onset of the Q70 soon enough....

I'm not understanding what it is you're really solving by cutting back Q23's north of the (7) & revoking Q23's away from commercial Forest Hills along Austin - to give the affected folks a connection to middle village via a 1-seat ride.... All you really did was create a "vertical" Q38 for the benefit of virtually nil.......

Interesting what ya have in mind?

I wasnt hinting towards a suggestion in that post.

Two enhancements I made. One will involve the Q26 and the other will be a redone proposal of the Q38 split.

Q26:

Extended to Floral Park while serving QCC to reduce crowding on the Q27 and make the route more useful. People have made similar proposals before but this imo is the best way to make the Q26 a useful route. The Q26 in it's current form is a useless shuttle route and doesn't supplement the Q27 like it is supposed to especially because it stops way short of QCC. 

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e378084409c7eba9c

Q38 split:

I decided to redo the Q38 split proposal from earlier in July. The Q38E portion would be sent to East Elmhurst via the Q23's routing off of 108 Street. As a result the Q23 would be straightened to stay on 108 Street to better serve that street. It begins at the Ridgewood Terminal. And the new Q51 which replaces the Q38P is unchanged except that instead of following the Q58's route to Ridgewood south of Metropolitan Avenue, it would go down Forest Avenue then turn onto Myrtle Avenue. (I also didn't bother to include stops because I had to work on the Q26 idea which took a while) 

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e3793594fdeb9d0e3

Two enhancements I made. One will involve the Q26 and the other will be a redone proposal of the Q38 split.

Q26:

Extended to Floral Park while serving QCC to reduce crowding on the Q27 and make the route more useful. People have made similar proposals before but this imo is the best way to make the Q26 a useful route. The Q26 in it's current form is a useless shuttle route and doesn't supplement the Q27 like it is supposed to especially because it stops way short of QCC. 

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e378084409c7eba9c

1. Why the hell does it go to Floral Park? Oakland Gardens and Bellerose have enough service as it is.

2. While your intentions are okay (well, better than they usually are), this is something you could accomplish by adding more Horace Harding short turns. Or adding arctics. The routing on 58th Av is just unnecessary and redundant, since there is more frequent service two or three blocks in either direction. And to answer your question - the Q26 is not "useless" - it's a route that in fact, does siphon riders off of the Q27 during peak hours as a pure subway feeder.

Edited by bobtehpanda

....except the Q23 has nothing to do with the routes that the Q70 might/will effect.

Notice that the Q33 is the common denominator with what you say that everyone is enamored by or whatever....

The Q33 is the route that will be directly affected with the onset of the Q70 soon enough....

I'm not understanding what it is you're really solving by cutting back Q23's north of the (7) & revoking Q23's away from commercial Forest Hills along Austin - to give the affected folks a connection to middle village via a 1-seat ride.... All you really did was create a "vertical" Q38 for the benefit of virtually nil.......

I don't get it either what is the point of combining the Q23 and Q29 to create a Q38 like route when all that does is make the route unreliable and make it inconvenient for East Elmhurst riders. The only thing I would do is straighten the Q23 along 108 Street and 71 Avenue and extend it to LaGuardia Airport. Then as a result, I would reroute the Q48 out of LaGuardia and send it down 23 Avenue to terminate where the Q69 ends (at 82 Street/Astoria Boulevard). If the Q29 is going to be merged with any route it would be the Q33 since those two would not cause any service disruptions if combined. That proposal seriously is even worse than some of that Fredrick guy's bus routes on google maps smh.

1. Why the hell does it go to Floral Park? Oakland Gardens and Bellerose have enough service as it is.

2. While your intentions are okay (well, better than they usually are), this is something you could accomplish by adding more Horace Harding short turns. Or adding arctics. The routing on 58th Av is just unnecessary and redundant, since there is more frequent service two or three blocks in either direction. And to answer your question - the Q26 is not "useless" - it's a route that in fact, does siphon riders off of the Q27 during peak hours as a pure subway feeder.

It's 53 Avenue, not 58 Avenue and I made the Q26 run down there for coverage reasons. And it doesn't relieve the Q27 enough in it's current form. It has to go to QCC which is a very popular stop on the Q27 to relieve it and I sent it to Floral Park for coverage reasons as well. And I wouldn't want to short turn Q27s. It just reduces service elsewhere on the route for no reason.

The Q38 is a total no. There's a reason the Q23 winds like that in Corona, for two reason, on being the Q48. And deviating the route to eliminate the portion east of 99 st is a big no. 

The Penelope Section also also a no, keep it as it's current route and thats it.

How many times do I have to tell you this: Penelope Avenue is TOO NARROW. It doesn't matter if it makes riders walk longer to catch the bus, because Penelope Avenue is so narrow, if buses were to meet each other in opposite directions on a street like that, it would cause delays. Since Furmanville Avenue bans parking on the Woodhaven Boulevard bound direction it allows buses to pass each other in opposite directions without causing delays.

I don't get it either what is the point of combining the Q23 and Q29 to create a Q38 like route when all that does is make the route unreliable and make it inconvenient for East Elmhurst riders. The only thing I would do is straighten the Q23 along 108 Street and 71 Avenue and extend it to LaGuardia Airport. Then as a result, I would reroute the Q48 out of LaGuardia and send it down 23 Avenue to terminate where the Q69 ends (at 82 Street/Astoria Boulevard). If the Q29 is going to be merged with any route it would be the Q33 since those two would not cause any service disruptions if combined. That proposal seriously is even worse than some of that Fredrick guy's bus routes on google maps smh.

holy crap i proposed something that had a purpose and yet some were outraged and the fact that you compared me to fredrick is just wrong.

Edited by BreeddekalbL

It's 53 Avenue, not 58 Avenue and I made the Q26 run down there for coverage reasons. And it doesn't relieve the Q27 enough in it's current form. It has to go to QCC which is a very popular stop on the Q27 to relieve it and I sent it to Floral Park for coverage reasons as well. And I wouldn't want to short turn Q27s. It just reduces service elsewhere on the route for no reason.

Adding more Q27 short turns does not actually decrease service elsewhere since you're not taking it away, and would be more useful to people in the neighborhood. You don't extend coverage routes into areas that already have coverage unless it's serving a completely different destination and last I checked, the neighborhood already has Flushing and QCC access.

How many times do I have to tell you this: Penelope Avenue is TOO NARROW. It doesn't matter if it makes riders walk longer to catch the bus, because Penelope Avenue is so narrow, if buses were to meet each other in opposite directions on a street like that, it would cause delays. Since Furmanville Avenue bans parking on the Woodhaven Boulevard bound direction it allows buses to pass each other in opposite directions without causing delays.

79 Street  and Calamus on the Q47 are just as narrow. Should we divert it 2 long blocks to Grand Avenue and 10 blocks down to 69 street and make hundreds of people walk the damn thing?

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

holy crap i proposed something that had a purpose and yet some were outraged and the fact that you compared me to fredrick is just wrong.

Yeah what purpose does your Q38 style Q23/29 combination have? To make it incovenient for Q23 riders and provide unreliable service? Even Fredrick is smart enough not to suggest something like that. And it's good that people got outraged because it's one of the most bullshit ideas that was ever posted.

Yeah what purpose does your Q38 style Q23/29 combination have? To make it incovenient for Q23 riders and provide unreliable service? Even Fredrick is smart enough not to suggest something like that. And it's good that people got outraged because it's one of the most bullshit ideas that was ever posted.

you do not need to swear at me. i proposed it so i can give the people in forest hills who want to go to middle village a ride so they don't have to touch manhattan like the (M) would have them do 

you do not need to swear at me. i proposed it so i can give the people in forest hills who want to go to middle village a ride so they don't have to touch manhattan like the (M) would have them do 

Nah man. The Q23 and Q29 dont need a combo, both routes are unreliable and winding as they are. The Q23 is pretty long also.

79 Street  and Calamus on the Q47 are just as narrow. Should we divert it 2 long blocks to Grand Avenue and 10 blocks down to 69 street and make hundreds of people walk the damn thing?

On a separate note, that would be a good idea if the Q18 was straightened on 65 Place (which should happen). However Calamus and 79 Street are still slightly wider than Penelope Avenue and and it's also doesn't have traffic. I've been on Penelope Avenue via riding the Q38 and that street does tend to get congested at times due to it's narrowness.

It's called the Q54 and even then the (M) train would be faster than that unreliable routing. Also sorry I cursed you out, I was just in a bad mood from being stressed out.

Seriously, tone your comments down. You need to be respectful of other members on the forum, because your proposals aren't exactly the best either. Get off your high horse and walk amongst the rest of us.

On a separate note, that would be a good idea if the Q18 was straightened on 65 Place (which should happen). However Calamus and 79 Street are still slightly wider than Penelope Avenue and and it's also doesn't have traffic. I've been on Penelope Avenue via riding the Q38 and that street does tend to get congested at times due to it's narrowness.

Narrowness has absolutely nothing to do with how well a bus route runs - Holly Av in Flushing is narrow, but you don't see the Q27 getting all jammed up over there. Q36 buses in Little Neck can't even make the turn near the LIRR station. So stop harping on this like it's an issue, because it isn't.

You clearly have no idea about the Q47!

I'm done beating this. Please also lets reroute the Q23 on Yellowstone and the Q29 on Junction Blvd and Roosevelt Avenue, and the Q11 along the (A) train tracks <_< .

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

You clearly have no idea about the Q47!

I'm done beating this. Please also lets reroute the Q23 on Yellowstone and the Q29 on Junction Blvd and Roosevelt Avenue, and the Q11 along the (A) train tracks <_< .

I NEVER said I wanted to reroute the Q47! I said I wouldn't mind if the Q18 got straightened and that happened. Edited by Q90

I NEVER said I wanted to reroute the Q47! I said I wouldn't mind if the Q18 got straightened and that happened.