Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways I have made changes to a proposal I posted here a month ago. It was the Q103 extension to Williamsburg via B32 merger. The changes I made was that I also decided to extend it on it's northern end to the Ditmars Boulevard  (N)  (Q) station so it could cover more of Astoria to carry demand to Williamsburg.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e3b5605b672dd5c53

I would've just left the B32/Q103 merger as is. I would have made a branch of the 102 serve all of 31 St. Anyway, I was wondering if the Q7 would still get ridership if it no longer went to Brooklyn. Q39 if it were truncated to Court Square. Q60 if it stopped short at Queens Plaza. Thoughts?

I would've just left the B32/Q103 merger as is. I would have made a branch of the 102 serve all of 31 St. Anyway, I was wondering if the Q7 would still get ridership if it no longer went to Brooklyn. Q39 if it were truncated to Court Square. Q60 if it stopped short at Queens Plaza. Thoughts?

After Woodhaven/ Crossbay Blvd the Q7 is nearly empty most of the times people use the Q8 and or the (A). The Q8 needs to run more often especially on weekends but the problem is ridership is usually up or down. At 8:00 or 9:00PM on weekends I've been on crowded Q8's and then I've been on others that were almost empty. The same with the Q41 last week the bus was SRO at 9:16 on Saturday and other times the bus was almost empty.

Where in Queens Plaza would the Q60 terminate?

The Q39 should start at Court Square, then go through Queens Plaza, then down Queens Blvd to Van Dam, and straight it out elsewhere down the line as well.

Um about Q102 serving all of 31 Street, it's not needed because it is completely redundant to the (N) train. Hardly anyone uses it along 31 Street (except for elderly or disabled people). People would still use the (N) train. Also I would leave the Q39 as it is. It is needed at QP. Q7 is also fine the way it is and doesn't need to be either truncated or extended. Also Q60 truncated to QP is a big NO. I have seen lot of people use the Q60 to Midtown. The only thing I would change about the Q60 is have it terminate at Merrick Boulevard/Archer Avenue as 109 Avenue/157 Street is a very unpopular terminus and it should serve more of Jamaica as well.

Um about Q102 serving all of 31 Street, it's not needed because it is completely redundant to the (N) train. Hardly anyone uses it along 31 Street (except for elderly or disabled people). People would still use the (N) train. Also I would leave the Q39 as it is. It is needed at QP. Q7 is also fine the way it is and doesn't need to be either truncated or extended. Also Q60 truncated to QP is a big NO. I have seen lot of people use the Q60 to Midtown. The only thing I would change about the Q60 is have it terminate at Merrick Boulevard/Archer Avenue as 109 Avenue/157 Street is a very unpopular terminus and it should serve more of Jamaica as well.

Unpopular terminal? There are people that get on at that stop. It does have short runs to Sutphin and Archer. Extended to Merrick and Archer? How about NO.

Unpopular terminal? There are people that get on at that stop. It does have short runs to Sutphin and Archer. Extended to Merrick and Archer? How about NO.

At least sending it to Merrick makes more sense than truncating it at QP because my proposal would increase, not decrease ridership. And how many people use it at 109 Avenue/157 Street and where do they take it to because I am not too familiar with that area but I do know not a lot of people don't use the Q60 there.

At least sending it to Merrick makes more sense than truncating it at QP because my proposal would increase, not decrease ridership. And how many people use it at 109 Avenue/157 Street and where do they take it to because I am not too familiar with that area but I do know not a lot of people don't use the Q60 there.

It terminates by South Jamaica projects (40 projects as the locals call it). You say you're not too familiar with the area but you're proposing an extension to Merrick? Secondly, where on Merrick would end it? You have the 17, 20 and the 44. Mind you the 44 is fully artic now. Edited by Q43LTD

It terminates by South Jamaica projects (40 projects as the locals call it). You say you're not too familiar with the area but you're proposing an extension to Merrick? Secondly, where on Merrick would end it? You have the 17, 20 and the 44. Mind you the 44 is fully artic now.

It terminates by South Jamaica projects (40 projects as the locals call it). You say you're not too familiar with the area but you're proposing an extension to Merrick? Secondly, where on Merrick would end it? You have the 17, 20 and the 44. Mind you the 44 is fully artic now.

I know the Q44 has artics, I've seen them. I would've have then end between Jamaica and Archer Avenues on Merrick Boulevard. And again, although yes I'm not too familiar with that area, I do know that not a lot of people use the Q60 by the projects. Also you already have the Q6 and Q40.

I know the Q44 has artics, I've seen them. I would've have then end between Jamaica and Archer Avenues on Merrick Boulevard. And again, although yes I'm not too familiar with that area, I do know that not a lot of people use the Q60 by the projects. Also you already have the Q6 and Q40.

The Q40 doesn't go by 40 projects.

Yeah it does. When it turns off Sutphin Boulevard at Lakewood Avenue, it has a stop there and it is near the 40 projects.

That's nowhere near 40 projects. 40 projects is bounded by South Rd, 160 St, 110 Av and 157 St. Your unfamiliarity with the area shows. Edited by Q43LTD

That is the point you are not familiar with the area so why are you bothering that route.

That's nowhere near 40 projects. 40 projects is bounded by South Rd, 160 St, 110 Av and 157 St. Your unfamiliarity with the area shows.

Well the Q6 goes there and even the Q111/113. Lakewood/Sutphin isn't too far from there though imo.

Anyway, I was wondering if the Q7 would still get ridership if it no longer went to Brooklyn. Thoughts?

After Woodhaven/ Crossbay Blvd the Q7 is nearly empty most of the times people use the Q8 and or the (A). The Q8 needs to run more often especially on weekends but the problem is ridership is usually up or down. At 8:00 or 9:00PM on weekends I've been on crowded Q8's and then I've been on others that were almost empty.

On the other side of the coin, the Q8 in Brooklyn (either direction) got more usage than the Q7 does....

I'm using past tense because I'm referring to the Q8 before the extension to gateway.... Now Q8 usage in Brooklyn blows Q7 usage out of the water... On top of it, I'll go as far as to say that Q7 usage seems to have diminished rather drastically - with the masses disembarking at Rockaway blvd (A) & the masses that used to wait for Q7 service back to Brooklyn (SB side, cross bay blvd), have damn near evaporated.....

Anyway, I was wondering if the....

Q39 (would still get ridership) if it were truncated to Court Square.

The Q39 should start at Court Square, then go through Queens Plaza, then down Queens Blvd to Van Dam, and straight it out elsewhere down the line as well.

I've always thought the Q39 should've been cut back to Court Sq..... Thought it's rather wasteful have it serving Court Sq. & QBP... It's no accident ridership starts to accumulate on that route @ Court sq., instead of the QBP area.... Most of those riders I bet are getting off (G)'s or (7)'s (just a small theory/guess I have).....

Anyway, I was wondering if the....

Q60 (would still get ridership) if it stopped short at Queens Plaza. Thoughts?

IMO, the more I think about it, the more I'd say Q60 usage would plummet quite noticably.....  Manhattan-bound, You would have that many more people taking the subway that wouldn't necessarily want to - just to eliminate disembarking Q60's for Q32's or Q101's over the bridge..... Not to mention the masses that wait for that ole Q60 at that first (sole) pickup stop in manhattan back in the other direction..... Speaking of which, I can't see too many of em gettin off the subway somewhere in Queens for a Q60 ride along QB..... 

Too important a destination would be severed, is what I'm getting at.... Which is why I wadn't all too fond for Shortline's idea of originally splitting the route due to its length or whatever (I think his initial reasoning was)......

On the other side of the coin, the Q8 in Brooklyn (either direction) got more usage than the Q7 does....

I'm using past tense because I'm referring to the Q8 before the extension to gateway.... Now Q8 usage in Brooklyn blows Q7 usage out of the water... On top of it, I'll go as far as to say that Q7 usage seems to have diminished rather drastically - with the masses disembarking at Rockaway blvd (A) & the masses that used to wait for Q7 service back to Brooklyn (SB side, cross bay blvd), have damn near evaporated.....

I've always thought the Q39 should've been cut back to Court Sq..... Thought it's rather wasteful have it serving Court Sq. & QBP... It's no accident ridership starts to accumulate on that route @ Court sq., instead of the QBP area.... Most of those riders I bet are getting off (G)'s or (7)'s (just a small theory/guess I have).....

IMO, the more I think about it, the more I'd say Q60 usage would plummet quite noticably.....  Manhattan-bound, You would have that many more people taking the subway that wouldn't necessarily want to - just to eliminate disembarking Q60's for Q32's or Q101's over the bridge..... Not to mention the masses that wait for that ole Q60 at that first (sole) pickup stop in manhattan back in the other direction..... Speaking of which, I can't see too many of em gettin off the subway somewhere in Queens for a Q60 ride along QB..... 

Too important a destination would be severed, is what I'm getting at.... Which is why I wadn't all too fond for Shortline's idea of originally splitting the route due to its length or whatever (I think his initial reasoning was)......

Exactly. If anything the Q101 should be the route that gets pulled out of Midtown. People only use the Q101 there from Queens Plaza if it is the first bus to come. In fact rerouting it would be a good way to replace the B24 Greenpoint section but that's a separate discussion. And about the Q39 I still wouldn't truncate it to Court Square. QP is still an important location if people want the  (N) or  (R). And splitting the Q60 is a stupid idea really because it's main purpose is to serve Queens Boulevard and considering the high ridership it gets what good comes from splitting it? Also the IND Queens Boulevard line is also unreliable as it constantly overcrowds.

Also I would leave the Q39 as it is. It is needed at QP. Q7 is also fine the way it is and doesn't need to be either truncated or extended. Also Q60 truncated to QP is a big NO. I have seen lot of people use the Q60 to Midtown.

The only thing I would change about the Q60 is have it terminate at Merrick Boulevard/Archer Avenue as 109 Avenue/157 Street is a very unpopular terminus and it should serve more of Jamaica as well.

Funny how you seem to detest those suggestions, but you're suggesting a superroute [East Midtown - (commercial) Jamaica] for the sake of eradicating coverage to residential areas....

Why do you think part of the reason the (E) is as packed as it is? You must really have it out for the Q60 & its riders - it gets bogged down enough b/w its stint on Sutphin & before it turns onto QB from off Jamaica av (by the Wendy's/McDonalds)......

As far as unpopular, well it's not commercial Jamaica, but c'mon....Let's not get ridiculous here.

109th/157th isn't one of these "unpopular" terminals where you seldom see anyone waiting for a bus....

see below reply......

Yeah it does. When it turns off Sutphin Boulevard at Lakewood Avenue, it has a stop there and it is near the 40 projects.

If you were on your P's & Q's, you'd know the patrons of S. Jamaica projects are the same people that are taking Q60's at its terminal in South Jamaica.....

FWIW, Q43LTD is saying the Q60 is closer than the Q40 is to 40 projects, and he is right.....

Just bow out on this one dude, you don't know what you're talking about here; The Q40 goes by 40 projects @ Sutphin/Lakewood....

smh....

Funny how you seem to detest those suggestions, but you're suggesting a superroute [East Midtown - (commercial) Jamaica] for the sake of eradicating coverage to residential areas....

Q60 is already a super route so that point is moot.

Why do you think part of the reason the (E) is as packed as it is? You must really have it out for the Q60 & its riders - it gets bogged down enough b/w its stint on Sutphin & before it turns onto QB from off Jamaica av (by the Wendy's/McDonalds)......

As far as unpopular, well it's not commercial Jamaica, but c'mon....Let's not get ridiculous here.

109th/157th isn't one of these "unpopular" terminals where you seldom see anyone waiting for a bus....

Well I heard that not a lot of people use the Q60 there.

see below reply......

If you were on your P's & Q's, you'd know the patrons of S. Jamaica projects are the same people that are taking Q60's at its terminal in South Jamaica.....

FWIW, Q43LTD is saying the Q60 is closer than the Q40 is to 40 projects, and he is right.....

Just bow out on this one dude, you don't know what you're talking about here; The Q40 goes by 40 projects @ Sutphin/Lakewood....

smh....

About that he is correct but the Q6 and Q111/113 go there too so it's not like it would be that big of a loss. BTW it wasn't a literal proposal, I only mentioned that as it would be the only route change to the Q60 that would make sense if one was made.....

Replies in red

Exactly. If anything the Q101 should be the route that gets pulled out of Midtown. People only use the Q101 there from Queens Plaza if it is the first bus to come.

In fact rerouting it would be a good way to replace the B24 Greenpoint section but that's a separate discussion.

Q101 via Steinway (the member here) might come out of nowhere & disagree, but I have to agree here....

I'll add to it & say, I think I figured it out...

I noticed that ppl. tend to use the 101 over the 60 in Manhattan - simply for the sake of not having to cross 2nd av !

There are two main riderbases on that route - to get to the area around QBP from manhattan (and vice versa) & to get to commercial steinway st from off the subway whilst in Queens (and vice versa).... Unlike the Q32, you don't see too many of its (101's) riders riding past QBP from Manhattan.... That route has the service that it does for a reason....

I've thought about re-routing Q101's in the past, but not for it to replace the B24....

Replies in red

- Q60 is already a super route so that point is moot.

- Well I heard that not a lot of people use the Q60 there.

- About that he is correct but the Q6 and Q111/113 go there too so it's not like it would be that big of a loss. BTW it wasn't a literal proposal, I only mentioned that as it would be the only route change to the Q60 that would make sense if one was made.....

1) Don't agree....

As I coined it, a superroute has to be more than just a long route..... It would be like me calling the Q66 a superroute or something (which it's also not)......

2) Depends on what you mean by "a lot"....

The whole thing looks like you're trying to save face & it's not working.... So spare me.

3) Who said anything about a proposal?

I too, am arguing this notion of how promixal you think/say the Q40 is to 40 projects, compared to the Q60.....

You saying those riders can make-do with the Q40 is a totally separate argument.....

Edited by B35 via Church

This has been discussed before but however it makes sense to bring it up again. Here's a proposal I made to extend the Q55 to Jamaica. It would be extended to Sutphin Boulevard/Archer Avenue where the Q30/31 and Q43 terminate. I would extend it down Hillside Avenue as the section between Myrtle Avenue and Queens Boulevard has no bus service. The reasoning is that a lot of people from Ridgewood use the Q55 to the Q56 or  (J) train to get to Jamaica. Extending it to Jamaica would make eliminate the need to transfer and make there trips more convenient. 

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e41a0669bad0febca

Q101 via Steinway (the member here) might come out of nowhere & disagree, but I have to agree here....

I'll add to it & say, I think I figured it out...

I noticed that ppl. tend to use the 101 over the 60 in Manhattan - simply for the sake of not having to cross 2nd av !

There are two main riderbases on that route - to get to the area around QBP from manhattan (and vice versa) & to get to commercial steinway st from off the subway whilst in Queens (and vice versa).... Unlike the Q32, you don't see too many of its (101's) riders riding past QBP from Manhattan.... That route has the service that it does for a reason....

I've thought about re-routing Q101's in the past, but not for it to replace the B24....

1) Don't agree....

As I coined it, a superroute has to be more than just a long route..... It would be like me calling the Q66 a superroute or something (which it's also not)......

2) Depends on what you mean by "a lot"....

The whole thing looks like you're trying to save face & it's not working.... So spare me.

3) Who said anything about a proposal?

I too, am arguing this notion of how promixal you think/say the Q40 is to 40 projects, compared to the Q60.....

You saying those riders can make-do with the Q40 is a totally separate argument.....

Well after the Q101 is rerouted to replace the B24 Greenpoint section, I would have the Q60s terminate at the current Q101 terminus to nullify that problem. And yes the Q101 does have that service for a reason but it could be useful somewhere else though.....

1) A super route has to be very long and be heavily used.

2) Well I read that hardly anyone uses the Q60 from there.....

3) You still have the Q6 and Q111/113