Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

How would it clog 8 Av?

The only problem I can think of is that having the Brighton Express run via the tunnel would cancel out the time savings of the express run. The benefit, though, is that fewer people will have to transfer to the IRT at Atlantic Av, which would save time.

You'd have the (B), (C), and (E) on one track. Don't even think of having it switch at Jay Street...

And all the time I was under the impression that the SAS was a replacement for the 2nd and 3rd Avenue Els. You know, the areas of Manhattan that lost rapid transit service years ago. Now the Lionel Loonies have decided to improve upon a concept before it's even completed. WOW. Run trains everywhere while forgetting the original plan.

:huh:

Edited by ThrexxBus

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd have the (B), (C), and (E) on one track.

No, the (B) would run via the (F) to Jay St, and then via Fulton Local. Guys, I know it's a radical proposal. I'm not going to try to convince everyone that it's good...

Don't even think of having it switch at Jay Street...
Why not????? Edited by TheSubwayStation

And all the time I was under the impression that the SAS was a replacement for the 2nd and 3rd Avenue Els. You know, the areas of Manhattan that lost rapid transit service years ago. Now the Lionel Loonies have decided to improve upon a concept before it's even completed. WOW. Run trains everywhere while forgetting the original plan.

The point of SAS is to relieve the Lexington Avenue Line. That comes from providing outer-boro residents a way to get to the East Side without the (4)(5)(6).

No, the (B) would run via the (F) to Jay St, and then via Fulton Local. Guys, I know it's a radical proposal. I'm not going to try to convince everyone that it's good...

Why not?????

Because that will hold up the (A) and (F)...

The point of SAS is to relieve the Lexington Avenue Line. That comes from providing outer-boro residents a way to get to the East Side without the (4)(5)(6).

In that case, I don't think sending the (T) down Culver is going to help much. I doubt that Culver riders are adding much crowding to the Lexington Line. Sending it onto the BMT would be better.

The Lex heads to the east via Eastern Parkway, to alleviate crowding you're best sending the (T) to Fulton...

Same problem with switching at West 4 St. And, remember that under this proposal, the switching at Canal St will be eliminated.

TRUE (2 CHAIIIIINZ)

Anyway, it's a lesser of two evils: Do you disrupt service in Brooklyn or Manhattan?

The Lex heads to the east via Eastern Parkway, to alleviate crowding you're best sending the (T) to Fulton...

I don't know if I agree with that. I don't think the purpose is to keep people from getting on the (4)(5) on Eastern Parkway; those riders have pretty good service and would likely keep riding the (4)(5) even when the SAS opens. Rather than trying to duplicate the (4)(5) in Brooklyn, I think it's more beneficial to reduce transfers to the (4)(5) at crowded places such as Atlantic Av and Fulton St. That's why I think the (T) should run via the BMT. It's better to create new route patterns (2 Av - South Brooklyn) rather than trying to create an IND-style competitor to the (4)(5) (2 Av - Fulton St).

The SAS needs to create a new and unique route to draw people away from the (4)(5). If it doesn't, few (4)(5) riders will switch over to it.

In that case, I don't think sending the (T) down Culver is going to help much. I doubt that Culver riders are adding much crowding to the Lexington Line. Sending it onto the BMT would be better.

The only reason I think Culver might work is because the (M) will block any chance of reviving the (V). Unless they were to split the (F) as local and express b/w Jay and Church, you'd need another line outside of 6th av to be either the local or express. I pretty much am giving up on the idea of trying to annex Nassau st. It is what it is there. Edited by Grand Concourse

If you study the original proposal and the later revisions for the SAS, including the present phased construction plan, it's obvious that what is being constructed is a direct replacement for the els. There wasn't anything in the plan that mentioned Culver ,Fulton , or the Rockaways, IIRC. I can't deny the severe overcrowding on the Lexington lines but it appears the plan was to reduce the crowding on the upper Lex 4,5, and 6 trains, hence the phased work on SAS. IMO the Bronx would be more deserving of any extension of the line if one were to be constructed because they lost the services (2nd and 3rd Ave els) to begin with. Whether one promotes a Bronx, Brooklyn, or combinations of an extension it's my opinion that either way comes very close to the realm of fantasy in today's world. It should be noted that many plans, including some we have promoted on this forum, were scrutinized and dropped from consideration before this so-called 'final" plan was adopted and this round of construction on this SAS was approved. I can't begin to imagine how much litigation, how many environmental impact studies and the like, and how many decades it would take before any further extensions would take place. That's what I was trying to point out in my earlier post today. I've seen new tunnels, new routes, new services being promoted lately while I'm saying let's be realistic about this before this thread breaks down into arguments about what service goes where when phase one isn't completed yet. IMO phase two might be 50-50 but phases three and four are on shakey ground at the present. I'm still waiting for the IND Second System to be built in it's entirety so you can probably guess how much faith I have in the MTA and New York City and State to complete a transit project. Let's try to be civil to each other. Carry on.

i

The Chrysler Building is nowhere near 2 Av.

@Rollover the (T) will be almost pointless as a Manhattan shuttle. It needs to go to the outer boroughs, preferably the Bronx, but more realistically Brooklyn.

We all seem to forget that the (1) is pretty much a Manhattan "shuttle." That thing makes a bare 3 stops in Bronx proper and the rest is in Manhattan territory.

We all seem to forget that the (1) is pretty much a Manhattan "shuttle." That thing makes a bare 3 stops in Bronx proper and the rest is in Manhattan territory.

This is true, but the (1) runs through upper Manhattan, which is much closer to parts of The Bronx or Brooklyn in nature than other parts of Manhattan. I'm not sure if I can say the same for the (T).

What does that leave us with? A SAS that, even if it is built to Hanover St, will be slower (no express service), not as useful (no service to outer boroughs), and overall more of a liability than a benefit. Why would people want to move to the SAS when the (4) and (5) are faster? Why would people want to take the Manhattan shuttle when they can get one-train rides on the (4) or (5) from Brooklyn or The Bronx to Manhattan?

This is why service should go beyond what is proposed. It has the potential to serve areas that need a subway (3rd Avenue in The Bronx, 125th Street in Manhattan, and southern Brooklyn east of Nostrand). If this ever happens, it would take care of the crowding issue because the line would run parallel to the (4) and/or (5) throughout its whole route. At the same time, it would bring new riders. Unfortunately, this would require a lot of money that the (MTA) currently doesn't have. :(

Here's another crazy "fantasy" proposal that I thought of: (Please don't use the term "foamer" even though you may feel so inclined. :lol: I don't have my heart set on this; I just want to have a civilized discussion)

(T) runs via Nassau St, Montague St tunnel, and Brighton Express to Brighton Beach

(J) runs via Chrystie St Cut, 6 Av express (new switches added; directly connects Essex St with 6 Av express tracks), CPW local to 145 St

(B) eliminated

And, potentially:

Brown (M) runs via Nassau St

(V) returns and runs via Culver Local to Church Av

(F) runs express to Church Av

:D Pretty crazy, eh?

That's the cheap way out - the point is to expand transit options to an area that doesn't have them.

That's part of what I don't like about the current plan for the Second Avenue Subway. Yes, part of the goal is to reduce crowding on the (4) and (5). The other goal is to expand transit options to areas that don't have them. The Second Avenue Subway has so much potential to expand those transit options, yet that is unlikely to happen.