OpenBVE won't open on my Mac

here's a trick i use manually on terminal. First on the terminal, type mono, then right click the openbve.app, and click on view package contents. Then go to Contents, then resources and drag and drop OpenBVE.exe into the terminal window, and then press enter. It should run.

I think I typed in the wrong code before. Now I've got the code right, but here's what it says when I type it in:

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/SDL

at (wrapper managed-to-native) Tao.Sdl.Sdl:__SDL_Init (int)

at Tao.Sdl.Sdl.SDL_Init (Int32 flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenBve.Joysticks.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenBve.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.DllNotFoundException: /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/SDL

at (wrapper managed-to-native) Tao.Sdl.Sdl:__SDL_Init (int)

at Tao.Sdl.Sdl.SDL_Init (Int32 flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenBve.Joysticks.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenBve.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Just right click on the openbve.app, and click on show package contents, and then go to contents>resources>userdata>legacycontent

screenshot20120605at111.png

I would recommend that you make an "alias" for Userdata, and drag and drop the "alias" to your desktop.

screenshot20120605at112.png

Once you open legacycontent, open the respective folders and drag and drop the contents that are required to be dragged into the appropiate file structure:

screenshot20120605at111.png

TheSubwayStation or -CT1660-, can one of you guys help me out? I can't find the Frameworks folder. I downloaded the package, I have the SDL.frameworks folder, but I can't find the Frameworks folder on my system.

Also, when you start the game, do you start it in Terminal, or does the app open directly?

TheSubwayStation or -CT1660-, can one of you guys help me out? I can't find the Frameworks folder. I downloaded the package, I have the SDL.frameworks folder, but I can't find the Frameworks folder on my system.

Also, when you start the game, do you start it in Terminal, or does the app open directly?

To get to frameworks: (this is how I did it)

(1) open Macintosh HD (you can find this easily using the spotlight)

(2) click on "Library"

(3) click on "frameworks"

(4) drag SDL.frameworks into the folder

I opened the app directly, not from Terminal.

6T1660, can you explain to me with a little more detail which things you're supposed to drag into the train/route folder?

I can answer that for you. And thank-you very much TheSubwayStation.

When you download trains, because they do not come in the package, you put them in that folder.

For routes, you drag that folder in the routes folder.

For sounds, I was never 100% sure what to do. On windows, everything goes to the designated folder.

I can answer that for you. And thank-you very much TheSubwayStation.

When you download trains, because they do not come in the package, you put them in that folder.

For routes, you drag that folder in the routes folder.

For sounds, I was never 100% sure what to do. On windows, everything goes to the designated folder.

What is the name of the folder that you put in the "routes" folder? I'm trying to do the (F) route. Do I put in the folder called, "NYCT-F (Version 4.0)"? Or do I put in the folder containing that?

• 4 weeks later...

An update

Tried it again. Got it to work on my MacBook Pro. Here's what I did:

Updated to the latest version of openBVE.

Downloaded and installed the latest alpha version of mono.

Downloaded and installed the latest version of SDL (1.2.15).

Reinstalled openAL.

After doing all of that, I still had the crashing problem.

Then I noticed that I've always had the openBVE native app in the same folder as the .exe. On a whim, I moved the .exe out of the same folder that held that openBVE.app. Success, both work perfectly after the move.

• 1 month later...

Instead of trying to use the precomplied .app file, did you guys try to do it Michelle's method listed in the documentation and use Terminal?

For example, say all the dependencies are downloaded and you put your openBVE folder in Documents. Use Spotlight to open Terminal and type in this:

cd Documents <hit Enter>cd openBVE <hit Enter>mono openbve.exe <hit enter>

For those of you who can't find the Frameworks folder, go to Finder, hit + Shift + G and type in this:

/System/Library/Frameworks

• 1 year later...

It is only compatible on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and up. I have to upgrade my computer and see how that is going to work out.

TheSubwayStation, go into terminal, and type in

mono OpenBve.exe

If not, try this;

mono openbve.exe

I know this is old but it doesn't work and I really want to play it

it says 

mono openbve.exe

Cannot open assembly 'openbve.exe': No such file or directory.

An update

Tried it again. Got it to work on my MacBook Pro. Here's what I did:

Updated to the latest version of openBVE.

Downloaded and installed the latest alpha version of mono.

Downloaded and installed the latest version of SDL (1.2.15).

Reinstalled openAL.

After doing all of that, I still had the crashing problem.

Then I noticed that I've always had the openBVE native app in the same folder as the .exe. On a whim, I moved the .exe out of the same folder that held that openBVE.app. Success, both work perfectly after the move.

I don;t have openBVE.app in my folder

Instead of trying to use the precomplied .app file, did you guys try to do it Michelle's method listed in the documentation and use Terminal?

For example, say all the dependencies are downloaded and you put your openBVE folder in Documents. Use Spotlight to open Terminal and type in this:

cd Documents <hit Enter>cd openBVE <hit Enter>mono openbve.exe <hit enter>
For those of you who can't find the Frameworks folder, go to Finder, hit + Shift + G and type in this:

/System/Library/Frameworks

I tried it and this happened

I cut out the computer account name

cd Documents

cd openBVE

-bash: cd: openBVE: No such file or directory

mono OpenBve.exe

Cannot open assembly 'OpenBve.exe': No such file or directory.

Archived