bus Operator Exam no.2613 is out now

RTS4Life

I'm scheduled to take the MTA "Bus Company" exam #2301 next month, August 3rd.... What I failed to realize was that I has applied for the wrong exam (I was assuming exam #2613 was #2301 last year).

I'm a Staten Island native, so naturally I have knowledge of mainly SI, B'klyn, Manhattan routes and have always wanted to work for TA, not the private bus co (their routes would be too far for me to travel to). What should I do now since I'm already scheduled to take exam 2301?

• 2 weeks later...

I am scheduled to take 2613 in January I was just wondering if anybody knew how long after we take the test does it take mta to certify the exam

The 8006 list expires on August 12,2013, but that list wasn't certified until August 12,2009

well over 1 year since that exam was given. 04/2008.

I believe they started hiring from the 8006 in 2010. So the 2613 list should be certified before the 8006 list expires.

I am not a NYCT B/O, however there are Stengel operators on here, Flushing Flash and Young Foch come to mind.

I did take the previous B/O exam(8006) in 08. So I can only answer your questions about the exam. The exam is tricky

meaning that you will have some questions where you think 2 different answers are the correct ones.

They will give maps for the points of interest, landmarks, questions. I posted on here awhile ago some questions that were on the last exam, let me see if I can dig up that post for you, just to give you an idea. It shouldn't be that hard to

pass the exam, but it's hard getting a 90.00+ on this exam.

What color are the fog lights in the rear of the bus?

red,amber,yellow, white.-----------------------------------------RED?

Which bus line goes to Grant's tomb?-----------------------M5?

Which bus line goes to randalls island and wards island? M35?

What borough is prospect park located in?-----------------BROOKLYN?

What three boroughs does the tri-borough bridge connect?----------MANHATTAN,QUEENS,BRONX

How many feet are you allowed to park a bus away from a curb?--------1 Foot?

When a school bus is stopped and dispensing passengers on the opposite side of a divided highway, what do you do?------Stop and wait for passenger discharge??

I put answers in blue ....how'd i do?

any other way to study other than points of interest and CDL manual?

I put answers in blue ....how'd i do?

any other way to study other than points of interest and CDL manual?

they did ask were is the united state tennis something like that located i think they mean the us open which boro is it located

the answer i put on it is < queens >

also they ask which boro is Yankee stadium located that`s < BRONX >

The licence must be valid in New York, meaning that its recognized by the state. You are not required to have a NYS CDL. i know of a few drivers that have out of state like new jersey and penn state. you would have to get in contact with some one in HR and they will tell you if what states CDL are good for the MTA.

@ Noflexdont- So as long as you've had a drivers License for atleast 3 years that is "recognized" by the state of NY you are considered eligable? From their wording it seemed like you must have a NY drivers License for atleast 3 years prior to hire..?

No not a New York State license but a any license from another state(usually from the tri-state area). They will pull your information to make sure you don't have any points. If they cant get from the state that you are license from they will need a Drivers Abstract to confirm what i said before. I once lived in the state of Georgia and need to get an abstract. There only good for thirty days from the date of issues. MTA has to follow 19A rules.

No not a New York State license but a any license from another state(usually from the tri-state area). They will pull your information to make sure you don't have any points. If they cant get from the state that you are license from they will need a Drivers Abstract to confirm what i said before. I once lived in the state of Georgia and need to get an abstract. There only good for thirty days from the date of issues. MTA has to follow 19A rules.

Cool, Thanks for the response!

Locomotion, thanks again.......now for the bus line questions did you get a map or did you just have to know the bus lines by heart?....and to get called you have to score better than a 90?...

They give you a map, you just have to take your time. They give you more then enough time to take the exam.

I think it takes longer getting ready for the exam(fingerprints, filling out forms, etc) then taking it.

The B/O is the hardest open competitive exam in transit. Nobody got a 100 from the last 2 previous exam, I think the highest

score was a 96 or a 97. If you score a 90+ you are in very good shape. On the 8006 list people who scored in the mid 80's

had list numbers in the #700 range. I wouldn't be surprised if more people failed the last exam then passed it, because 3,758

on the list is a very small number.

They are up to around the #2,900 list mark, with 1 more year to go before it expires. I think the 2613 list will be bigger, but the

filing period was only 15 days compared to the 8006 exam back in 2008 when the filing period was around 7 weeks long.

See my thing is i can ace any part of the CDL manual stuff most likely i've had to take tests before i've taken 19A tests like from the commercial driver book.....but im from the island so points of interest or what boroughs things are located in is not my strong suit.....i'm sure i can read a map with buses and bus lines it is what i do for a living but i don't know i'm just unsure of what exactly i'm looking for and i HAVE to do well on this i really want this

One question that was on the last exam was what island is the Statue of Liberty on? This one confused some people.

The correct answer was Liberty Island, but Ellis Island was one of the choices. If I remember correctly there was no map

shown for that question. So, learn a few points of interest in NYC.

I am not a city guy myself, even though I have worked there before and drive in the city occassionally.

I suggest to learn the places where tourists would go to. Off hand I don't think there were more then 5 questions

on the exam with regards to points of interest.

A guy that I know scored a 90 on the #8006 exam and his list number was really low(#170).

To pass you can get up to 24 answers wrong(1.25 for each correct answer).

Who knows what the weather will be like on January 12th? Not everybody that filed for the exam will show up.

So don't stress it too much, but don't take it lightly since it's a tricky open competitive exam.

Archived