New Tappan Zee Bridge gets lift from $105B U.S. transportation bill's pass.

"The project to replace the Tappan Zee Bridge received a "huge boost" from a $105 billion transportation bill that Congress passed Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

Congress approved a two-year bill that bolsters funding to the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act, a loan program that the state hopes to tap to help finance a new $5 billion Tappan Zee Bridge. The bill now awaits President Barack Obama's signature to turn it into law.

Although the bill leaves funding for New York highways, bridges and transit programs largely unchanged, Cuomo said it "keeps tens of thousands of New York construction workers employed and supports over 19 million New Yorkers who use our roads, bridges, and trains daily."

"Passage of the bill also means a huge boost for the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project," Cuomo said. "New York is in a group of projects that received strong ratings on their applications for TIFIA funding, which was dramatically increased in this legislation. Businesses and communities around the state need long-term stable infrastructure investment to sustain jobs and support economic recovery."

New York has requested a $2 billion loan guarantee through TIFIA, which now has an annual lending capacity of $1.1 billion. That will increase to roughly $7.5 billion in the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1. Another $10 billion will become available in fiscal 2014.

"It provides reassurance for 27 months that a crucial project will be able to move forward," said Rep. Nan Hayworth, R-Bedford. "We are trying to achieve a lot of fundamental maintenance and improvement of our infrastructure. There is a lot of federal help that is needed."

In May, the state Thruway Authority was not invited to apply for that loan program but was placed on a newly created reserve list along with a handful of other projects across the nation.

State transportation officials on Friday said they expect U.S. Department of Transportation officials to contact them in the coming weeks about submitting their full application. The process could take four to six months before the state learns if it has been approved for the loan, how much it will be and how it will be structured. Although the state has applied for $2 billion, officials said it has never expected to receive the full amount.

Under the proposed bill, federal direct funding for TIFIA projects can increase to 49 percent from the current 33 percent. Officials said while the law would allow them to pursue additional funding under the low-interest long-term loan program, no decision has been made on whether to do so.

"These provisions will increase the likelihood that projects like the Tappan Zee Bridge will receive critical funding and provide a boost for our local economy,'' said Rep. Nita Lowey, D-Harrison.

The state has said the bridge will be built regardless of whether it secures this loan. It is expected to be funded primarily through tolls and bonds.

The transportation bill will ensure funding for highways and bridges in the state in fiscal 2013 and will continue at the same level as this year but will be $115 million less than in fiscal 2011 as part of a cut that affects every state, lawmakers said. Formula aid to transit agencies around the state will increase by $200 million as a result of cuts to spending on buses, bus facilities and other programs.

New York lawmakers, for the most part, said they support the legislation because it will put construction workers to work and help communities make much-needed repairs to roads and bridges.

Policy changes in the 27-month transportation bill include incentives for more states to join New York in establishing graduated driving privileges for teenage drivers, and a provision to improve trucker safety by designating more locations, such as weigh stations, where truckers can sleep.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., pushed both measures.

Motor coach companies will be required to post federal safety ratings in bus windows and on websites using a new rating system the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will develop, according to Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.

There's also $65 million for New York to make highway shoulders safer, Schumer said. He said that's in response to a series of accidents involving police officers doing traffic stops.

Transportation advocacy groups and some lawmakers said the compromise legislation negotiated by the House of Representatives and Senate won't address the nation's long-term transportation needs."

Source Link: http://www.lohud.com...?nclick_check=1

I hope a train can pass through, obiously that wont happen. I hope though they have a Bus line of the TZX

it could still happen in the future, if I remember right even tho the Tappan Zee rail line is on hold, the bridge still has provisions for it. They really need to get started on replacing the Tappen Zee Bridge already. In retrospect they should have built it better the first time around, why is it that other bridges in the NY metro area that have been around a lot longer are in much better shape.

it could still happen in the future, if I remember right even tho the Tappan Zee rail line is on hold, the bridge still has provisions for it. They really need to get started on replacing the Tappen Zee Bridge already. In retrospect they should have built it better the first time around, why is it that other bridges in the NY metro area that have been around a lot longer are in much better shape.

Whether a light rail/bus lane on the new Tappan Zee Bridge is bulit, what should be added is a walkway/bike lane. The nearest bridges either the GW or Bear Mountain Bridges are at least 20 miles away each.

Whether a light rail/bus lane on the new Tappan Zee Bridge is bulit, what should be added is a walkway/bike lane. The nearest bridges either the GW or Bear Mountain Bridges are at least 20 miles away each.

whos gunna walk all that way anyway? its like 3-4 miles of just bridge.

On a nice spring or fall day, at least hundreds. You be surprised how many bikers/joggers and walkers would use just like down the road from my house the hudson river walkway.

you sure shitty transit doesn't play a role in this. With the schedule those buses have you either walk or burn money on gas.llbluefox is right the walk is too long. TZX god where is the damn rail? the I-bus and TZX buses ARE SHIT!!

you sure shitty transit doesn't play a role in this. With the schedule those buses have you either walk or burn money on gas.llbluefox is right the walk is too long. TZX god where is the damn rail? the I-bus and TZX buses ARE SHIT!!

I remember going to somewhere in rockland and I got off the highway about an exit or so too early and i was on route 59 and these TSX buses were there, acting like local buses, why aren't they on the thruway if they are supposedly the tappan zee express bus?

Damn chill qj on the comments. Or you want to be on the bench again not able to comment on the boards for a while.

Back to topic. No the walkway idea is not for regular commuters say on the TZX/Coach USA/Shortline. It's for the bikers/runners in the Tarrytown and Nyack areas.

I agree the headways outside of rush hours on the TZX is terrible. Not to mention most of Saturday should be at least every half hour and Sundays should be created and run every hour.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember going to somewhere in rockland and I got off the highway about an exit or so too early and i was on route 59 and these TSX buses were there, acting like local buses, why aren't they on the thruway if they are supposedly the tappan zee express bus?

this is why your better off driving than using TZX FAIL shortline its called honesty TZX AND IBUS are well bad andbrderline useless.

Well, it was only designed to last 50 years. Second, it was built during a time where the price of steel was through the roof.

Archived