Question about the W line car fleet?

Guest MTA Bus

You can check the historical car assignments here:

http://www.thejoekor...index-main.html

In the beginning, only the (N) used the R32s, while the (W) used R68s. Then in 2004 the (W) began using R40S and for a month the R32s, but the (N) stopped using the R32s. Interestingly, it appears that in March 2005 the (Q) also used R32s. It wasn't until 2006 and 2007 that the (W) used a substantial amount of R32s, but by then the (N) was mixed R68s and R160s, though I did see some photos on nycsubway.org showing R32s on the (N) as late as 2007. After 2007, they stopped running on the Broadway lines, although some occasionally did run on it, especially on the (R). I had the pleasure of riding an R32 (Q) to school.

Starting in September 2002, when the (W) became the only train serving Coney Island during its extensive rehab, they did. The (N) was split between R32s, R40 Slants and R68s, with Slants in the majority. On weekdays, when the (N) ran its full route, the (W) ran mostly R68As. But on weekends, when the (N) ran only in Brooklyn, Slants and Brightliners showed up rather regularly on the (W). This lasted until February 2004, when the Manhattan Bridge's 6th Avenue tracks reopened and the (N) resumed 24/7 operation and the (W) became a weekdays-only operation between Astoria and Whitehall.

In the beginning, only the (N) used the R32s, while the (W) used R68s. Then in 2004 the (W) began using R40S and for a month the R32s, but the (N) stopped using the R32s. Interestingly, it appears that in March 2005 the (Q) also used R32s. It wasn't until 2006 and 2007 that the (W) used a substantial amount of R32s, but by then the (N) was mixed R68s and R160s, though I did see some photos on nycsubway.org showing R32s on the (N) as late as 2007. After 2007, they stopped running on the Broadway lines, although some occasionally did run on it, especially on the (R). I had the pleasure of riding an R32 (Q) to school.

I have actually taken an R32 (Q) as well. One day I was coming home on the (B) R40M, and I had to get off at Church in order to get home. I saw a strange train coming down the track. My first thought was "What the hell is an (E) doing on the Brighton"? Then my aunt told me it was a (Q). I was like DOUBLE KILL!!! 2 RFWs!!! And that was something at the time because all you got on the (Q) was R68. That was the only time I saw an R32 (Q) train.

I can remember seeing a few R68 <Q> trains along the line, but I saw mostly R40s. Strangest thing I saw was this; When the (Q)<Q> trains had to run over the 6 Av side of the bridge to Broadway Lafayette, some of them were R46. I saw an R46 (Q) come down Brighton Express one day, I thought I was going mad.

When was that? After 2004 right? R46 (Q) was very rare especially post 9/11. It was only 1 out of the whole bunch or it must've been a school car.

I can't remember the exact date, but I feel somewhat confident in saying that it was after 2004.

It was probably a school car for that specific one, it was not displaying anything on the LCD rollsigns, but it did have a (Q) bullet on it. The one I saw at Broadway Lafayette however was displaying (Q) Last Stop.

Of course, but that was just the one occasion, after that it hardly ever ran on Brighton, at least in service.

That's the only time I've heard of or seen a photo of an R46 running on the (Q).

They also ran a long time ago on the (N), as shown by these photos (not mine):

img_62206.jpg

img_119448.jpg

img_5785.jpgimg_5768.jpg

If the Q was on the 6th Avenue side, that was before 2001. Unless it was a school car. At some point, going back into the 90's, they used to have gap trains stationed at some siding somewhere, that would fill in wherever needed. I remember seeing a 46 running in (B) service once, like that.

If the Q was on the 6th Avenue side, that was before 2001. Unless it was a school car. At some point, going back into the 90's, they used to have gap trains stationed at some siding somewhere, that would fill in wherever needed. I remember seeing a 46 running in (B) service once, like that.

The (B) that ran to Harlem? I know there's the yard at 174th St and some extra tracks above 72nd Street.

I saw it heading south down 6th Av. Don't know where it came from, but I think the gap trains were stored at Lex. Av-63rd. That would make sense, because you're in the middle of everything, and have access to both 6th and Bway. 46's were only in Jamaica Yd, and 174th would be way out of the way to stage the train.

I wasn't down here back then, and got most of my information from ERA/UTC, and I think I remember reading they were staged on 63rd. By the time I got down here, they were storing R68 (W)'s there for the PM rush, instead.

• 1 month later...

And that was a few days after 9/11, when the (Q) ran to Forest Hills.

That is just around the time I saw the (Q) on the Brighton Express.

Exactly. It was when they were repairing the Broadway side of the bridge.

Archived