Station agent list established

primomjr78

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow 4 years to reach top now? It's 3 with CTA. And my pre-employment letter said I would start just around what I'd be getting my 2nd year anniversary.

Well you must've started just before the change. All new employees since I think 2012, have had work four years to reach top pay. I don't know when TA made this change and was allowed to do it by the union, but that's how it is now. I believe they'll start you at the level of pay you're currently at when you're called for agent.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Well you must've started just before the change. All new employees since I think 2012, have had work four years to reach top pay. I don't know when TA made this change and was allowed to do it by the union, but that's how it is now. I believe they'll start you at the level of pay you're currently at when you're called for agent. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks because yea it's a no brainer decision to move up to S/A but at the same time when your a year away from the big $6 jump, plus decent pick it makes you think and want to get all the info so that you make a good decision

Well I've got two words that'll make you rethink even regretting the change, "Snow Duty ". I know that shits not easy. And I always see the look on the HDC cleaner at my stations face when she gets pulled for that shit, and has to stay an extra 4 hours at work. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

One thing I'll leave you with is, don't go in thinking the station agents job is an easy one. It may not be very physically taxing, but it is very mentally taxing. And you're under constant pressure from the customers and management. You're responsible for all property and events on the station. And lets not forget.you're responsible, for every single dollar in the booth. So take your time, so that you don't incur any shortages. And most importantly, please don't ever get caught sleeping. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Well I've got two words that'll make you rethink even regretting the change, "Snow Duty ". I know that shits not easy. And I always see the look on the HDC cleaner at my stations face when she gets pulled for that shit, and has to stay an extra 4 hours at work. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Lol your right. But that's also a matter of perception for some cleaners. My maintenance shop has been shitting on my specific tour when it comes to OT and snow duty. So when the opportunity came when the big BIG boss came around we voiced our concerns, he checked the books and confirmed we don't get anything. That same night he approved 16 hours OT for 2 of my co- workers and snow duty has been offered plenty to us, so yea lol matter of perception. But I get what u mean bcuz I'm not exactly raising my hand for that shit lol.

Lol your right. But that's also a matter of perception for some cleaners. My maintenance shop has been shitting on my specific tour when it comes to OT and snow duty. So when the opportunity came when the big BIG boss came around we voiced our concerns, he checked the books and confirmed we don't get anything. That same night he approved 16 hours OT for 2 of my co- workers and snow duty has been offered plenty to us, so yea lol matter of perception. But I get what u mean bcuz I'm not exactly raising my hand for that shit lol.

I ain't gonna lie, it's gonna be very tough in the beginning. Being extra and all. After 8 years as a clerk I'm just barely starting to be able to pick decent jobs and stuff. This title is very slow moving in seniority, because lots of people never leave the title like others. Mainly because promoting to station supervisor is seen as a dead end by many. And the intitial pay cut in the first year and frozen payscale for three years is too much to bare for some people. But the pick is at least coming up next month. Not that you'll be able to pick anything besides extra anyway, but at least you'll have a choice for RDO's, M/T or T/W, but a choice never the less lol. So you're going to be in the 2/24 class correct? If so I have a friend whom will be in that class as well. She too had been a CTA for just over 2 and a half years. One great thing about the clerks job is you have many titles you can readily promote into. I believe there's at least 5 or 6 titles we can't promote into. Not to mention many change of assignment jobs within RTO, 2 Broadway and OSAC we can submit a resume for. But as I always state, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me here or inbox me.

So you're going to be in the 2/24 class correct? If so I have a friend whom will be in that class as well. She too had been a CTA for just over 2 and a half years. One great thing about the clerks job is you have many titles you can readily promote into. I believe there's at least 5 or 6 titles we can't promote into. Not to mention many change of assignment jobs within RTO, 2 Broadway and OSAC we can submit a resume for. But as I always state, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me here or inbox me. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Actually no I won't make that class at all, maybe next one or one after (if any). It appears that they are up to the CTAs tht got hired in January now. I was hired march. Reason I mentioned the 2 and half year thing is because I someone maybe you mentioned that it takes cTas 2 and half years to be called for SA and it seems about right. I have a co-worker who is in the February 23rd class tho. I'm in no rush tho, I wanna get what I can out of car equipment. Maybe secure some vacation time for the year. I have s/m rdo and overnight tour, I can get a lot of shit done with that.

So you're going to be in the 2/24 class correct? If so I have a friend whom will be in that class as well. She too had been a CTA for just over 2 and a half years. One great thing about the clerks job is you have many titles you can readily promote into. I believe there's at least 5 or 6 titles we can't promote into. Not to mention many change of assignment jobs within RTO, 2 Broadway and OSAC we can submit a resume for. But as I always state, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me here or inbox me. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Actually no I won't make that class at all, maybe next one or one after (if any). It appears that they are up to the CTAs tht got hired in January now. I was hired march. Reason I mentioned the 2 and half year thing is because I someone maybe you mentioned that it takes cTas 2 and half years to be called for SA and it seems about right. I have a co-worker who is in the February 23rd class tho. I'm in no rush tho, I wanna get what I can out of car equipment. Maybe secure some vacation time for the year. I have s/m rdo and overnight tour, I can get a lot of shit done with that.

Oh OK I feel you. I'm not 100% on this, but I heard this next class may be the last for a while. But like I said this is just something I over heard on the road. So take it with a grain of salt.

Oh OK I feel you. I'm not 100% on this, but I heard this next class may be the last for a while. But like I said this is just something I over heard on the road. So take it with a grain of salt. Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Definitely, solideen appreciate the info nonetheless that's the way the ball rolls sometimes. I'm just in a situation where I just want to be settled and accommodate my personal life. Too many opportunities coming at one time (that's a good problem I guess). And it's hard to manage time explore these opportunities and make important decisions. It may be my second chance opportunity to get into sanitation which is what I want, I just don't want to wait too long and take a huge pay cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah at night most people you'll encounter are either begging for a ride or just fare beating. Either way I be in my own world until about 0430 when people with jobs start to ride the system. Some places by 6am you're in full work mode. I try to work mostly 9pm-5am or 10pm-6am jobs. With recent booth hour changes they now have some booths with 1am-9am hours, and they're always open because no one likes those hours. And you'll work very hard, due to being there the entire rush hours (5am-9am). I ran into a brand new agent the other day and the assigned him 68th st hunter college. That station is extremely busy. I stayed an extra hour after he relieved me to school him on the job. I remember when an old timer helped me so it felt good passing on advice.

Hello, I have read this entire post and have found it very informative. When I was called for a second interview I asked the person about the schedules, I have a newborn and have no one to watch her overnight. The person told me that there can be some type of accommodation worked out, how true is this? I don't want to resign my present job without knowing for certain.

Hello, I have read this entire post and have found it very informative. When I was called for a second interview I asked the person about the schedules, I have a newborn and have no one to watch her overnight. The person told me that there can be some type of accommodation worked out, how true is this? I don't want to resign my present job without knowing for certain.

As far as I know, I think they're full of shit. A friend of mines has had to call out numerous times this year because she couldn't get a sitter. And they kept telling her that she should've had a backup sitter instead. So I'd speak to someone in a higher authority about it. But one thing I know for sure is TA is not very accommodating to its employees. They expect you to out down everything in your life for the system. So like I've said ask around, but me personally, I've never heard of the sort.

I have a question.

I've seen some veteran station agents recycling used metro-cards for customers.

When a customer brings metro-cards and asks for combining them into a single card, many customers leave those blank cards at a booth.

Then, a station agent reuses those abandoned cards for other customers who don't have empty cards.

By using TBT's trade-in function, an old card can be traded into a brand new card without charging a $1 fee.

And also, I heard rumors that some clerks are pocketing $1 by reusing the abandoned cards.

Is this a crime ?

I personally think this is a crime and ethically wrong and I would never do it.

But those abandoned cards were originally "paid by customers" when they purchased them, so technically, MTA is not losing any money.

Does anybody ever heard of this topic on the job ???

I have a question.

I've seen some veteran station agents recycling used metro-cards for customers.

When a customer brings metro-cards and asks for combining them into a single card, many customers leave those blank cards at a booth.

Then, a station agent reuses those abandoned cards for other customers who don't have empty cards.

By using TBT's trade-in function, an old card can be traded into a brand new card without charging a $1 fee.

And also, I heard rumors that some clerks are pocketing $1 by reusing the abandoned cards.

Is this a crime ?

I personally think this is a crime and ethically wrong and I would never do it.

But those abandoned cards were originally "paid by customers" when they purchased them, so technically, MTA is not losing any money.

Does anybody ever heard of this topic on the job ???

Please don't follow those stupid clerks lead, seriously. What they're doing is called commingling funds. Its not my job to save the customer the $1 fee, only charge it. Whenever a customer does a multi trade in, we're supposed to return all of their cards to them. If they don't want them toss them in the trash. But under no circumstances are we to reuse them for another customer. Because you may think you're helping them out, but you're not. What you're really doing is making your fellow clerks job much harder. Because they'll expect everyone else to do what you do for them all the time. And they aren't shy about letting someone else know what you always do for them, even if a supervisor or superintendent is in the Booth with you. So they end up telling on the clerks that always hooks them up. Even now I'll have a few people asking me for blank or used cards to give them. If a customer doesn't want to spend the $1 on a new card they have the option of spending only $.025 (plus $2.50)at the machine for a single ride. Also some clerks are selling single rides plus the $1 fee, which is also stupid. The minimum purchase at the Booth for new cards has always been 2 rides, not 1. Some people will try to reword and interprut the rules to their hearts content, but one ride on a metrocard has never been the rule, and has been the rule since 1993, and the introduction of AFC. Unless given the OK to sell single rides in the event of an allout condition of your MVMs, or at areas such as the part time booths at Yankee stadium, since they have no MVM's by those booths will you sell single rides out of the booth. And its only done as a convenience to move the large crowds along at Yankee Stadium after a game. The hardest issue with this job is clerks not doing the job properly, and forcing other clerks to have to deal with grief because they're doing the job correctly, which confuses and pisses off the customers, and leads to lots of complaints.

That was a rumor started last year. But I'm sure there's some folks doing that nickel and dime scheme. Sure they could find out. By now they have an idea of how many new cards should be sold at a certain location daily. If those.number start yo dip drastically they'll notice it.

OK it shouldn't be too long then. You may even be in the next batch of pre-employment letters they send out. If not then definitely the one following. So I'd say by late spring or early summer's at the latest you'll be a clerk. I know the last three or four classes they had 40 people in each of them. Now it seems they may have reverted back to the standard 20 students.

I'm just waiting for final "interview"... I did pre-employment stuff about a month ago. If some ppl declined or failed medical sir what have I might have a shot to squeeze in if not definitely the next one which I'd predict to be end of April. No rush tho, I just wanna update the folks here who we're wondering where things are with the list. Thanks

OK cool then. I believe the urine tests are good for 90 days. So as long as you get into a class before that time frame you'll only have to go back to 180 one more time. My friend should've been in the December 30th class, but couldn't locate her HS diploma in time, so got pushed to the February 4th class. But that class ended up being canceled and pushed back to the 24th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived