So why do some cars drive in the bus lane?

SomeGuy

Queens, Ridgewood.

metro to grand to the Willy B.

I don't know Brooklyn traffic patterns at all so I might be wrong, but Metro, BQE, Brooklyn Bridge, FDR, West Side Highway is a longer route but at least in Manhattan you won't hit any traffic.

And qjt, how about you tell me how I would get from the Upper East Side to Newark with a rather large rolling suitcase during the morning rush using public transportation? First off there's absolutely no way that I can squeeze that thing on the (4)(5)(6) at that time, so that's out of the question. M15 SBS is just as packed so eliminate that. I could fit it on a crosstown bus or the M31, but where would I go after that? I'm actually curious to how you would do this through public transportation.

Even though long term parking will cost more, if I'm already spending hundreds or thousands on plane + hotel, and extra hundred isn't really that much.

I don't know Brooklyn traffic patterns at all so I might be wrong, but Metro, BQE, Brooklyn Bridge, FDR, West Side Highway is a longer route but at least in Manhattan you won't hit any traffic.

And qjt, how about you tell me how I would get from the Upper East Side to Newark with a rather large rolling suitcase during the morning rush using public transportation? First off there's absolutely no way that I can squeeze that thing on the (4)(5)(6) at that time, so that's out of the question. M15 SBS is just as packed so eliminate that. I could fit it on a crosstown bus or the M31, but where would I go after that? I'm actually curious to how you would do this through public transportation.

Even though long term parking will cost more, if I'm already spending hundreds or thousands on plane + hotel, and extra hundred isn't really that much.

There are buses that leave from Penn Station, the PA Bus Terminal, and Grand Central. See here and here. So you could take the crosstown bus to the (C) to Penn Station or the PA Bus Terminal.

I doubt you'd do that, but it is possible by public transportation. There are far worse commutes you can make, even considering the fact that you're dragging bags around.

There are buses that leave from Penn Station, the PA Bus Terminal, and Grand Central. See here and here. So you could take the crosstown bus to the (C) to Penn Station or the PA Bus Terminal.

I doubt you'd do that, but it is possible by public transportation. There are far worse commutes you can make, even considering the fact that you're dragging bags around.

Of course i know that it's possible, but it would be a huge and unnecessary schlepp, which would end up costing me $2.25 + $16 each way, and $35 with a huge headache and possibly 2 hours each way compared to 45 minutes and under $100 and the comfort of my car.

Speaking of parking, and when my mom and I got Ikea's Taxi Service, this male driver was excellent and friendly. He was retired City Bus Driver because he bought very heavey materials which cannot bring onto the public transportation.

Not all people are idiot.

There are several bus operators or retired operators drive their car or trucks, or maybe move to taxi.

My passed away American Roommate was proffessional taxi driver for T&LC, and he never drive in active bus lane until taxi strike happened, he retired his job and he went to do another proffessional carpenter job.

I think some people choose to ignore the sign or rule of road.

Not just cars, but pedicabs, bikes, distracted drivers and carriage drivers.

I agree Bus Lanes are active, only cars making right turn is allowed, however on unpainted 5th Av bus lane near MET's Parking Garage entrance, some drivers going to make right turn at Transverse Rd, goes into active bus lane one block early, which is violation.

Also, charter buses sometimes park on activate bus lane, forcing city bus to double park at its stop, creating traffic.

For example at Roosevelt Av/Main St, there are lots of idiot motorist who makes illegal left/right turn when NYCDOT's newly sign states NO TURN.

It is same situation with THRU STREET, where cars are not allowed to make certain turn except Park or 6th Avs, however some delivery trucks refused.

Cyclists and pedicabs going the wrong way, Horse Carriage jumping red light or going on wrong way on 7th Av exit to Central Park.

Slightly little off-topic,

QTJ, cars and taxis plays major role along with public transportation.

Trucks, Cars and taxis, you could bring bike, luggage or other things that city buses aren't allowed easily.

Some regular bus riders forced to take taxis because they're impatient to wait for slow buses.

Regular buses cannot handle bike or other large suitcases that blocks aisle. This is why Bee-Line #12 and NJT Bus #62 bus has certain luggage policy and it must be fit under the seat.

If there were no trucks, how would the new PATH PA-5 or R160/R179/R188 to be being delivered?

QTJ, it's not really true. Even with traffic, sometimes traffic moves first, sometimes doesn't. It is almost exact same as M60 and M35 getting stuck in traffic along RFK Bridge.

It depends but during my experience on Coach USA Charter Bus Trip to Humane Society Lobby Day in Albany, during PM Rush Hour, going into Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan was very bad, but not too bad at all.

Same with MegaBus trip to Washington DC, it wasn't bad at all either.

Why? For the same reason that jaywalking is rampant in the outer boroughs. No one enforces these laws. If everyone who drove on the bus lane got $100 tickets people would learn very quickly.

Jaywalking isn't illegal in New York City. And it's rampant in Manhattan especially. Just go to any given corner at any given time during the day and see if you see anyone waiting for the light to change.

Archived