MTA plans 15% bridge-tunnel toll hike and finds cash-paying drivers an E-Z

mark1447

MTA plans 15% bridge-tunnel toll hike and finds cash-paying drivers an E-Z target

390-tolls19n-635x390-2.jpg

Getting over the river and through the hoods could cost you at least an extra buck, sources tell the Daily News.

Tolls on the major MTA bridges and tunnels would jump $1 to $7.50 under one proposal authority brass is considering.

The 15% hike would be imposed on drivers who still shun E-ZPass and pay with cash, sources said.

The cash price to use one of the five so-called major crossings, which include the Midtown Tunnel and the Whitestone Bridge, is now $6.50.

Under this scenario, the cash toll for the Verrazano Bridge, collected only from westbound travelers, would also jump —from the current $13 to $15.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board will vote on a final budget in December. The steeper tolls would go into effect about the same time higher fares are imposed on commuter train, subway and bus riders, now scheduled to hit in March.

Tolls also are expected to rise for drivers who use E-ZPass, the electronic tags through which drivers receive significant discounts.

An MTA spokesman declined to comment on any potential increases under discussion. Motorists, however, already want to lean on their horns.

Read the rest: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-plans-15-bridge-tunnel-toll-hike-finds-cash-paying-drivers-e-z-target-article-1.1162667#ixzz26wRkij4b

When I trek into Brooklyn, I LOATHE going across the Guinea Gangplank. Usually for the return trip to Pennsyltucky, I'll go through the city and take the Holland. I go through Staten Island only if I'm in a rush, or the traffic's crappy in Manhattan.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived