Inspection finds LIRR crews waste time, money

Via Garibaldi 8

This is another example of unions looking bad again with media attention. Like it or not in this is still recession. This report makes the hard and honest working LIRR staff and construction workers look lazy and overpaid.

Honestly as a LIRR employee I don't take this personally. This is just a couple of projects in one department where the RR has many departments that are full of hard working man and women. As far as making unions look bad , I don't think so . This job was supervised just like any other job with non union management looking over. No job and I mean job in the RR in any department is not lacking supervision and management close by. This is the reason why many old time Rail Roaders say they wouldn't survive in the current RR. And this is nothing compared to the dollars that go to highway projects or any other construction project around the city. If people are so serious about their tax dollars how about pointing at something more critical like the Board of Education and these rubber rooms for teachers. This is their kids education money going to teachers getting paid full salary to do nothing but sit in a room and wait months or even longer just to see if they are going to be suspended for some wrong doing.

Honestly as a LIRR employee I don't take this personally. This is just a couple of projects in one department where the RR has many departments that are full of hard working man and women. As far as making unions look bad , I don't think so . This job was supervised just like any other job with non union management looking over. No job and I mean job in the RR in any department is not lacking supervision and management close by. This is the reason why many old time Rail Roaders say they wouldn't survive in the current RR. And this is nothing compared to the dollars that go to highway projects or any other construction project around the city. If people are so serious about their tax dollars how about pointing at something more critical like the Board of Education and these rubber rooms for teachers. This is their kids education money going to teachers getting paid full salary to do nothing but sit in a room and wait months or even longer just to see if they are going to be suspended for some wrong doing.

As educator (maybe leaving soon that career but that for another thread)I believe in unions but in NYC it's out of control. I agree on a limited tenure system for great teacher i.e 10-year contracts and fair appeals for suspended teachers. However the so called rubber rooms IMO has to go. If a teacher does a felony that suspended without pay period. If they "cleared" they get back in retro pay, monies lost during their suspensions. That also for another chat.

And for LIRR154 being fair should any of your brothers/sister LIRR workers get any form of punishment actions for this? I do agree that Fox5/NY Post tends to go after (MTA) workers "more' for these screw ups more than other unions in the region for some reason.

Of course, most likely shortline ,the RR is probably on top of this already. But Fox 5 News ,the Post and use to be Newsday love trying to find dirt on RR workers and MTA workers in generally. Funny how I don't remember many articles on Wall Street for blowing peoples life savings and putting us in this recession to begin with.

This is a complete non-story.

Those in the private sector are sour that their jobs are circling the drains. Therefore, public sector employees have been placed in the crosshairs. They are being vilified for their hard work.

Of course, most likely shortline ,the RR is probably on top of this already. But Fox 5 News ,the Post and use to be Newsday love trying to find dirt on RR workers and MTA workers in generally. Funny how I don't remember many articles on Wall Street for blowing peoples life savings and putting us in this recession to begin with.

Not trying to turn this into a partisan issue but guess who the owner/boss of Fox 5 and the NY Post? Rupert Mudrock. And we all know he pro-business. With that said, I don't condone what the workers at LIRR did in this story, but i can understand they being singled out.

Since the Dec. 2005, transit strike the NY Post/Fox 5 News tend to do more of these "investigative" reports on MTA workers more than say white collar/wall street crooks. Even during the Madoff trail as well. Another example of how the journalism field in last 10-15 years has been hijacked by partisan CEO's.

FOX 5 is just doing their job at showing how inept the (MTA) is...

It always seems FOX5 has something to b*tch about or some stupid story (don't get me started on Greg + Rosanna...)

This is another example of unions looking bad again with media attention. Like it or not in this is still recession. This report makes the hard and honest working LIRR staff and construction workers look lazy and overpaid.

Much like what was discussed about the rubber room issue and dysfuntional teachers, putting dedicated hard working teachers in a bad light as discussed in another thread.

Faux News is the same as the local affiliate.

Same ownership yes. Focus of news "No." Fox news focuses entirely on national(including politics) and world news while Fox 5 in NYC focuses more on local news in tri state area. Ditto for CBS with local Ch.2, NBC w/ Ch.4 and ABC w/ Ch.7.

Julio i got a college degree in communcations so i should know lol.

Wall Street=PRIVATE SECTOR

MTA=PUBLIC AGENCY

There's your answer right there...

Wall Street=PRIVATE SECTOR

MTA=PUBLIC AGENCY

There's your answer right there...

They don't call Wall Street " The Masters of the Universe" for nothing. Jobs, my pension,my retirement the economy is in the hands of those guys.

They don't call Wall Street " The Masters of the Universe" for nothing. Jobs, my pension,my retirement the economy is in the hands of those guys.

That may be true but public is public (taxpayer dollars) and private is private (non taxpayer dollars) and that's the big difference. People started crying because some of these guys in the private sector started looking to the taxpayer to bail them out, hence the tougher regulations put in place. The (MTA) is a public agency that relies heavily on taxpayer dollars and therefore they should be put under the microscope. I for one most certainly want accountability and having worked for the (MTA), they do waste a lot. The one area that they need to do more with less with is in the back offices. They also need to have more oversight on construction sites. I realize that it is hard work being out in the construction field since I worked in the field too (albeit in the office but I used to go on job sites and see the hard work guys put in), but at the same time you can't have guys being paid off of the clock and dragging their feet on projects that taxpayer dollars are paying for.

With the (MTA) they seem to be more reactive than proactive and so putting the spotlight on them is what they need to get them to correct their ineptitude.

When the public demands that the (MTA) gets rid of waste, we don't want our service cut. The (MTA) would call cutting service and making the commutes harder for others trimming the fat. Meanwhile they had rampant abuse of overtime and workers being paid off of the clock that is most certainly waste... Perfect example of why they're always in the spotlight.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived